Chelsea 2 Wrexham 2

JaneB

Lovely cross from Sterling which Broja manages to head with the wrong side of his head, so he 'clears' instead of troubling the keeper. It could only happen to him!
To be fair, Sterling's cross was behind him, so... 🙄🙄🙄

Ends all square. 

You can see what Maresca's trying to do. Some might be disappointed by the result, but first game of pre-season with 11 changes at half-time it was always going to be disjointed.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Can’t believe I just watched us play a preseason game with Broja upfront.

It’s like a bad dream

Dallas comes to mind!

Second half looked exactly like a first tour game second half...too many changes to keep a rhythm and a much weaker eleven..or rather ten with Broja !

All the hallmarks of working at patterns  etc rather than just going for a win.

Not sure we learned too much but did like the movement and application of Guiu.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Original 21 said:

Can’t believe I just watched us play a preseason game with Broja upfront.

It’s like a bad dream

Some questioned the value of taking him on this tour! Sounds like that may have had a bit of merit.

Personally I think it was a mistake to play Rodney Trotter in goal.

Diabolical defending throughout . 

Early days but no evidence of the shape and fluidity that we have been advised that Maresca will bring.

Nkunku looks to be a very good goal predator , Guiu looks a prospect . 

Thought their Number 9 was offside for their first goal . 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Bison said:

Just seen clips of the best RB in world football doing donkey work in DM. It's going to be a long season. 

I think that's only because Cucurella isn't there yet , Well I hope anyway . 

What's with this fascination of inverted fullbacks.  Can't see it working.

Gusto and cucurella are great wing backs. James is also great up and down the touchline but, could also play RCB.

Not watched the game but all this in fashion talk about inverted fullbacks worries me

39 minutes ago, Ham said:

God forbid we do well this season.

39 minutes ago, Ham said:

God forbid we do well this season.

Going to be some very conflicted and upset souls on here.

Absolutely 

Only 4 more wins than last season for the holy grail of CL qualification. 

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

[SNIP]

Early days but no evidence of the shape and fluidity that we have been advised that Maresca will bring.

Nkunku looks to be a very good goal predator , Guiu looks a prospect . 

Thought their Number 9 was offside for their first goal . 

Really?  To me it looked like a 4-3-3 out of possession and a 3-4-3/3-2-2-2-1 in attack, which is exactly what I was expecting based on videos/articles about Maresca that I've watched an read.  It certainly wasn't the "go and do whatever you want" tactics of Pochettino.  Early in the first half we even saw Sanchez as part of a back four.

Edited by Bob Singleton
Typo

For those who didn’t see the game, we really did spend the first half passing the ball amongst our defenders in our own half while Wrexham looked on in bemusement. Then the second half in total panic as Wrexham decided they might as well run at our back line for a laugh. While the commentators were explaining to the American audience every two minutes that the shitshow they were being served up was because we’d  “just stepped off the plane”. 

I think well be fine though. We’ve got Cole Palmer. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ShedMiddle said:

What's with this fascination of inverted fullbacks.  Can't see it working.

Gusto and cucurella are great wing backs. James is also great up and down the touchline but, could also play RCB.

Not watched the game but all this in fashion talk about inverted fullbacks worries me

I think this is very much in line with modern football. Managers come and go, and they are almost always playing something new and innovative before everyone else catches up and their edge is gone. Some managers. like Klopp and Pep, can reinvent themselves and go again. Others are taken aback and can't. 

Where Maresca will fall is anyones guess. But it is worrying that he is so hell bent on his inverted full back system. Apparently Poch tried something similar towards the end of the season during our run? 

All this talk of inverted fullbacks have me believe that we will see Renato Veiga in the squad. Being a LB/DM sort of makes him perfect for that role (at least on paper). 

It will be interesting to see how he and the squad reacts should we have a somewhat difficult start. Can he change it up and try something else? Or will he stick with his system? Tactical flexibility is key for us - we don't have a squad that can blow everyone else out of the waters, so it'll take hard work to stay ahead. 

The only thing that matters this pre season is we get through it with no injuries and start the Premier league with a fully fit squad.

Unfortunately,  any tactical change, any system that will be implemented will take time, which is always the case but even more so when our previous coach did nothing but tell them to run.

• Agree 1