Chelsea 2 Wrexham 2

JaneB

From memory , didn't we win all of our pre-season Poch games before he changed everything first game of the season? 

One game is hardly a barometer of anything other than the shirt not looking quite as horrible as originally thought .

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

Really?  To me it looked like a 4-3-3 out of possession and a 3-4-3/3-2-2-2-1 in attack, which is exactly what I was expecting based on videos/articles about Maresca that I've watched an read.  It certainly wasn't the "go and do whatever you want" tactics of Pochettino.  Early in the first half we even saw Sanchez as part of a back four.

Sorry Bob , badly written , it was more of the fluidity than the shape really but that's to be expected this early on , thought we looked a bit lumbering at times and particularly in the second half the young guns were very exposed . 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Ham said:

A number of players playing for the first time in a year after injury

you said this cannot be used as an excuse this season

• Like 1

If we don’t bring in a proven goalscorer we’re going to rely heavily on Nkunku staying fit. We should take whatever fee we can for Broja so he’s not around as an option. 

Reece James and Colwill are the only sure starters in defence. Fofana looked understandably rusty. Cucurella will surely start ahead of Chilwell.

Can’t see where Angelo, Santos, Big Les, and Chuka are going to fit in. 

I couldn’t help thinking that if we let Gallagher and Chalobah leave, as looks likely, we’re going to regret it. If neither are deemed starters they’re experienced, decent, squad players compared to some of the others. 

27 minutes ago, ROTG said:

you said this cannot be used as an excuse this season

Oh behave.  Fofana, Nkunku and Lavia with about 90 minutes combined in 12 months before starting. 

FYI, the season hasn't started yet and you know this. 

• Agree 1

I didn't watch the full game and have only seen the extended highlights, so I won't comment in too much depth. But from what I saw, first half we were actually pretty good. Marc Guiu looked strong and put them under real pressure.

Second half, it looks like the subs more or less screwed us up. Some of our younger players looked a bit lost and we had some mixed success playing out from the back.

But three things to take into account. This is their third friendly, it was our first. Second, we didn't pick up any fresh injuries. Third, the most important thing above all is fitness. While the second half subs were disappointing, it's better that everybody got 45 minutes even if it means we didn't win.

I guess this is why we have friendlies isn't it? At least there's now some concrete stuff for Maresca to work with.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Sorry Bob , badly written , it was more of the fluidity than the shape really but that's to be expected this early on , thought we looked a bit lumbering at times and particularly in the second half the young guns were very exposed . 

Constant sideways passing till we had no option but to play it long. I don’t know if that’s what we’ve been working on for the last few weeks. I think Madueke got to the byline a couple of times. A couple of chances from set pieces I recall.  But that was as turgid a display as I can remember. Even if it was just a matter of finding fitness at this stage. 

Of course, the system might not matter as much once Enzo, Caicedo and Palmer are in the starting line up. Overall my feeling is that Maresca probably was surprised that the squad below the certain starters isn’t as good as he’d hoped. Oh and we still badly need a centre forward. I’d be annoyed if we’re going to go into the new season with only Guiu, however bright and energetic he was. 

Edited by Original 21
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Constant sideways passing till we had no option but to play it long. I don’t know if that’s what we’ve been working on for the last few weeks. I think Madueke got to the byline a couple of times. A couple of chances from set pieces I recall.  But that was as turgid a display as I can remember. Even if it was just a matter of finding fitness at this stage. 

Of course, the system might not matter as much once Enzo, Caicedo and Palmer are in the starting line up. Overall my feeling is that Maresca probably was surprised that the squad below the certain starters isn’t as good as he’d hoped. Oh and we still badly need a centre forward. I’d be annoyed if we’re going to go into the new season with only Guiu, however bright and energetic he was. 

We didn't go long much, if at all from recollection.  I thought we passed through their lines really well in the first half.  Not quite so well in the second half.  

Sanchez made a good few line breaking passes although some of the players looked a bit rusty as the first touch wasn't always there, as was the case with their goals.  

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, ShedMiddle said:

What's with this fascination of inverted fullbacks.  Can't see it working.

Gusto and cucurella are great wing backs. James is also great up and down the touchline but, could also play RCB.

Not watched the game but all this in fashion talk about inverted fullbacks worries me

Maresca's guru Guardiola inverts his fullbacks so he must do it too.

Taking one of the world's best attacking RBs in Reece James (who crosses and shoots significantly better than any winger we have) out of the final third so he can play 5-10 yard passes to the CBs is a level of tactical sophistication our simple minds just can't comprehend. 

Edited by Bison
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Bison said:

Taking one of the world's best attacking RBs in Reece James (who crosses and shoots significantly better than any winger we have) out of the final third so he can play 5-10 yard passes to the CBs is a level of tactical sophistication our simple minds just can't comprehend. 

Again , I think Cucurella is earmarked for this role , James is only doing it because , well because Chilwell . 

5 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Again , I think Cucurella is earmarked for this role , James is only doing it because , well because Chilwell . 

I had to educate myself and found the following on the topic https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/the-inverted-full-back-football-tactics-explained

Obviously, I know Poch asked Cucurella to come inside and play a bit more central towards the end of the season and I know people were raving about it.

I wasn't convinced by it because it looked like he was playing out of position.  I am guessing it's a me problem and that this is beneficial in the modern game. I know from my playing days that most wide players are not comfortable in central areas and vice-versa.  I played high-level up until 21 as a winger/wing back on either side but, was never comfortable when asked to player centre midfield.  Looking 360 is a whole different ball game to worrying about 180 up and down the line.   

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

13 minutes ago, ShedMiddle said:

I had to educate myself and found the following on the topic https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/the-inverted-full-back-football-tactics-explained

Obviously, I know Poch asked Cucurella to come inside and play a bit more central towards the end of the season and I know people were raving about it.

I wasn't convinced by it because it looked like he was playing out of position.  I am guessing it's a me problem and that this is beneficial in the modern game. I know from my playing days that most wide players are not comfortable in central areas and vice-versa.  I played high-level up until 21 as a winger/wing back on either side but, was never comfortable when asked to player centre midfield.  Looking 360 is a whole different ball game to worrying about 180 up and down the line.   

Cucurella wasn't really good at the role. He was negative passer, didn't understand how to make himself an option for the player in possession and on the ball he could only play the way he was facing (as you would expect most fullbacks to do in the role). To be fair to Cucurella he did better than Chilwell likely could in the same role.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bison said:

Have you considered that perhaps RJ isn't being risked bombing up and down the wing just yet, bearing in mind that this was his first start since injury?

Maybe he'll never be trusted in that role again.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bison said:

Cucurella wasn't really good at the role. He was negative passer, didn't understand how to make himself an option for the player in possession and on the ball he could only play the way he was facing (as you would expect most fullbacks to do in the role). To be fair to Cucurella he did better than Chilwell likely could in the same role.

You didn't watch the Euros, then, where he was one of the players of the tournament fulfilling that exact same role?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ham said:

Have you considered that perhaps RJ isn't being risked bombing up and down the wing just yet, bearing in mind that this was his first start since injury?

Indeed. Given the personnel available, Reece was ALWAYS going to be the inverted full back in yesterday's game, as he will be until Cucurella joins the tour. That it requires less effort of a player returning from injury (OK I know he played enough games at the end of last season to get himself suspended for the start of this one) is the icing on the cake, so to speak.

• Like 1

Didn't watch any of it and won't because, honestly, who cares. Here because I'm surprised one of BBC Sport's top stories is Maresca, and I quote, "defending" the result. When did mainstream football press get this pathetic? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bison said:

Cucurella played the role better than anyone I have seen before.

It's not about his passing ability, the reason people seem to think Trent suits the role, it's literally the least important thing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Didn't watch any of it and won't because, honestly, who cares. Here because I'm surprised one of BBC Sport's top stories is Maresca, and I quote, "defending" the result. When did mainstream football press get this pathetic? 

Football media is in the absolute gutter at the moment everything is viewed through the lens of outrage and making a story when none exists . 

The Daily Mail today actually wrote " if Chelsea hadn't equalised they'd have lost the game"

No. Really. 

No tactical analysis , no insight , nothing and it's the same everywhere . 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Football media is in the absolute gutter at the moment everything is viewed through the lens of outrage and making a story when none exists . 

The Daily Mail today actually wrote " if Chelsea hadn't equalised they'd have lost the game"

No. Really. 

No tactical analysis , no insight , nothing and it's the same everywhere . 

BBC said both teams made wholesale changes at half time.  They didn't make a sub until 62 mins.  

It's like they didn't actually watch the game.  

• Haha 1

I watched the highlights, but I won't watch the games until we are three or four games in. Preseason is about getting fit and learning new patterns of play that match the coach's tactical vision. You don't do that in a couple of days because of muscle memory.

4 hours ago, Ham said:

Let's hope so because it's a ridiculous waste of his talent. 

4 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

You didn't watch the Euros, then, where he was one of the players of the tournament fulfilling that exact same role?

Was he playing inverted at the Euros? It did not look like that to me in the games I watched.