Official: Renato Veiga sign for Chelsea

12 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I've decided to go "Full Scouse" and declare him the greatest player the world has ever seen. 

Despite never having seen him play. 

He has always been a Chelsea fan as well. He had posters of Ashley Cole and Mikel on his wall as a kid, what with him being a LB/DM hybrid and all.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I've decided to go "Full Scouse" and declare him the greatest player the world has ever seen. 

Despite never having seen him play. 

From what I can see of this video he really has some nice skills:

- a solid left foot, passes and shots

- decent free kicks with his left foot

- excellent tackler, but that is also perhaps his biggest problem: with such tackles he can easily be our "new Fofana" ending up with a serious injury early in the season. 

But the optimist in me tells me: he will have tremendous season! 😁

Edited by asvaberg

I’m losing more and more faith in the ownership by the day now. 

We have so far this window spent €78m on players who largely are unlikely to ever make a difference for us. Add the fee for Estevao and we are at €112m. 

At the same time we are talking about selling academy players who in their short career and likely to have played more for us individually than the players we have bought are likely to do combined.

• Like 1

The video someone linked to in the transfer thread a little while ago made him look like a complete donkey, so much so that it can't be a fair representation of him because no one sane would buy him. But then the clips usually make rubbish players look like Pele, so maybe the reverse is true? Fingers crossed!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

The video someone linked to in the transfer thread a little while ago made him look like a complete donkey, so much so that it can't be a fair representation of him because no one sane would buy him. But then the clips usually make rubbish players look like Pele, so maybe the reverse is true? Fingers crossed!

I've seen even more videos and I think it's a fairly accurate reflection of him as a player. Gangly, loose in possession, can't tackle and despite his height isn't arielly dominant. Looks like a duck, swims like a duck..

Anyway, good luck to him. 

Edited by Bison

7 hours ago, Bison said:

I've seen even more videos and I think it's a fairly accurate reflection of him as a player. Gangly, loose in possession, can't tackle and despite his height isn't arielly dominant. Looks like a duck, swims like a duck..

Anyway, good luck to him. 

Well at least you gave him a chance this time.  

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Ham said:

Well at least you gave him a chance this time.  

A shit player will still be shit regardless of what “chance” a random fan gives to a player. 

If you can’t smell the long-term trend by now you’re part of the problem. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

A shit player will still be shit regardless of what “chance” a random fan gives to a player. 

Might be another Gusto for all we know but no. Let's write him off. 

10 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Bit grumpy today Dave ?

Thought you'd be delirious with happiness after Spain won the Euros for Sweden. 

12 hours ago, Ham said:

Might be another Gusto for all we know but no. Let's write him off. 

It seems like my point wasn’t delivered properly.

Of course you can find something to cling on to, one or two signings they haven’t fucked up. Or an academy player they were right selling.

But focusing on smaller details often means you miss the big picture. The big picture is clear. The current ownership won’t be successful here with the implemented strategy. 

We have spent €112m on largely untested players for the level we’re at. It’s nothing short of madness. Add the fact that they’ve also managed to piss of Bath to the extent that he’s resigned. Everything they touch here turns to shit. 

4 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

The current ownership won’t be successful here with the implemented strategy. 

Can I have the lotto numbers while you're at it? 

We have spent €112m on largely untested players for the level we’re at. It’s nothing short of madness. 

Remember when we've spent just as much, if not more,  on "proven" players in the past and they've been disastrous? I do.

Add the fact that they’ve also managed to piss of Bath to the extent that he’s resigned. 

Sounds presumptuous to say the least, unless you've spoken to Bath personally and secured an exclusive? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Can you give a prediction on where the team will finish this season?

3 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Remember when we've spent just as much, if not more,  on "proven" players in the past and they've been disastrous? I do.

The difference being when the club signed a dud, it did not impact the overall ability of the team of winning things.

4 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Sounds presumptuous to say the least, unless you've spoken to Bath personally and secured an exclusive? 

So after 30 years of building a successful academy, you just up sticks and move on? One would assume some of Bath’s R&R were being evaluated by the couple of scouts, therefore it was time to jump before being pushed. 

6 hours ago, xceleryx said:

This is exactly the type of reaction I’m referring to.

Fans are falling over each other trying to grasp whatever straw one can find to defend this madness. 

We’ve bought proven players that failed us in the past? No shit Sherlock, there’s no fooling you is there? 

lol, absolutely no comparing "I am confident this strategy that has no track record for success will not be successful" and "I can predict specific lottery numbers". Pathological.

Edited by thevelourfog

2 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

This is exactly the type of reaction I’m referring to.

Fans are falling over each other trying to grasp whatever straw one can find to defend this madness. 

We’ve bought proven players that failed us in the past? No shit Sherlock, there’s no fooling you is there? . 

No straws trying to be grasped over here I'm afraid, just simply a willingness to let things evolve for the time being before getting my underwear in a bunch.

You continue to carry that chip on your shoulder though, no skin off my nose either way. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

lol, absolutely no comparing "I am confident this strategy that has no track record for success will not be successful" and "I can predict specific lottery numbers". Pathological.

The problem here is that;

• there's no history that the strategy being undertaken will be a success or failure, no other team has really attempted to do what we're doing to such a scale, so calling it either way during its infancy is stupid.
  • a "conventional strategy" doesn't necessarily insure success, many clubs also fail miserably following the conventional. 
  • Like 1

The problem here is that;

• there's no history that the strategy being undertaken will be a success or failure, no other team has really attempted to do what we're doing to such a scale, so calling it either way during its infancy is stupid.
  • a "conventional strategy" doesn't necessarily insure success, many clubs also fail miserably following the conventional. 

These aren't actual problems, they are (bizarrely) justifications. If a strategy has never been attempted before, there's only two real reasons for that; it's never been thought of before, or it's plainly ridiculous. 

Conventional strategies not always working is not a good reason to do something mental. And especially when the measure of "success" isn't necessarily consistently winning the most prestigious trophies and might just be continuing to exist, long term, at a good level of football.

I wouldn't be calling other people's opinions on here stupid. Glass houses.

On 16/07/2024 at 10:52, xceleryx said:

No straws trying to be grasped over here I'm afraid, just simply a willingness to let things evolve for the time being before getting my underwear in a bunch.

You continue to carry that chip on your shoulder though, no skin off my nose either way. 

I have no idea how you can pretend that what we are doing will eventually lead us to success - or that it is even a remote possibility it will. We may still be successful under these owners, but only if the current strategy is changed.

46 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I have no idea how you can pretend that what we are doing will eventually lead us to success - or that it is even a remote possibility it will. We may still be successful under these owners, but only if the current strategy is changed.

........is your opinion. Nothing more. 

Get off your high horse. 

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I think that’s rich coming from you considering the debates you have with others on here. 

One thing I don't do is call my opinions "fact".  

I get jumped on for seeing the positives in the squad, often being told that I'm simply wrong.  

Time will tell. It'll be double-sweet if things work out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ham said:

One thing I don't do is call my opinions "fact".  

I get jumped on for seeing the positives in the squad, often being told that I'm simply wrong.  

Time will tell. It'll be double-sweet if things work out.

I’m not saying it’s a fact. It can’t be a fact, since we are talking about the future here. So there’s that…

What is beyond doubt however, is that so far it has not been a successful strategy. That is a fact.  I’m merely extrapolating that, looking at what they are doing and coming to the conclusion that I’m not seeing anything at all that leads me to believe our fortunes will change. 

I don’t have a problem with you being a tad naive (imo), but to take the high road here is not something that fits you mate. Especially since you are busy ridiculing anyone who is remotely critical of this ownership. 

Things may work out. But not by doing more of what they’ve done so far. The recruitment strategy must change. It simply has to. It’s impossible to buy overrated players at ridiculous prices forever without it impacting the squad quality negatively. You don’t have to be an oracle to figure that out.