Chelsea 1 Celtic 4

JaneB

6 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

I'm working so not able to watch. Probably wouldn't anyway as pre season is so irrelevant.

As long as Fofana,  James, Nkunku and Lavia are OK, nothing else matters to me. Not 

Get them 4 fully fit for the start of the season and it's like having 4 new players. 

I feel a lot of people are going to be very disspointed by Lavia. He's a kid coming off an entire season of no football. He's closer to needing a loan than being a serious player for us. 

Edited by Bison

• JaneB changed the title to Chelsea 1 Celtic 4

Some positive signs going forward, created chances at least and pressed well at times, Madueke worked hard but no end product. Defensively, we got opened up easier than a tin of baked beans and I’m not sure we can play a high line with these defenders, these are our starting centre backs as well. 

Sanchez and Badiashile producing a brain fart between them, the pair of them are an accident waiting to happen in my opinion, don’t want to pick on them but it’s true. Deciding not to replace Silva with experience is a BlueCo trait and won’t do us any favours I’m afraid. 

My son-in-law is a die hard Celtic supporter so tomorrow is going to be painful, the whatsapps have already begun.

That said, things look great. Another season like the last one? No sign yet of any system on the horizon. I think I'll go to bed.

19 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

Some positive signs going forward, created chances at least and pressed well at times, Madueke worked hard but no end product. Defensively, we got opened up easier than a tin of baked beans and I’m not sure we can play a high line with these defenders, these are our starting centre backs as well. 

Sanchez and Badiashile producing a brain fart between them, the pair of them are an accident waiting to happen in my opinion, don’t want to pick on them but it’s true. Deciding not to replace Silva with experience is a BlueCo trait and won’t do us any favours I’m afraid. 

You're right. We don't have a ball playing centre back. Arguably Chalobah was closest to this. This sort of tactic needs defenders like luiz, silva etc that are skillful.

I think the biggest issue is that we've got players who've barely played for us/together and a new coach and philosophy.  Recipe for early disaster. 

• Agree 2

As a result oriented game a disaster, But,,from a coaching teams pov exactly what they wanted...a chance to see how a newly assembled squad performed from a tactical, fitness,  personal application and intangible game presence rather than on a training field.

Despair not,,,at least four players who started did not kick a serious ball for Chelsea last season plus those whose participation was severely restricted by injury,

Can anybody recall tour preseason results, or even care now, from before last year,,without refering to records?

How many games to go ?

Question...how does any feel about aJackson/Guiu (AKA The Spanish Lad.) partnership?

Older members..Guiu has the looker of a "smoother" Hutch?... just me?

• Like 1

Couldn’t watch the second half. Thought we were dreadful. Only comfort is that we won’t be so poor with Enzo, Caicedo and Palmer back in the side. Also, Cucurella, Gusto and Jackson will be an upgrade on anything I saw first half. 

Did anyone make a case for themselves in the second half? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Couldn’t watch the second half. Thought we were dreadful. Only comfort is that we won’t be so poor with Enzo, Caicedo and Palmer back in the side. Also, Cucurella, Gusto and Jackson will be an upgrade on anything I saw first half. 

Did anyone make a case for themselves in the second half? 

Sterling.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Tactical based manager (many of which were desperately calling for), fresh to the club, and is still very much at the early stages of implementing his football and style - all while missing several first team players on top. Up against an established side at the back end of their pre-season prep. 

Colour me shocked. /s

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

We were nothing short of embarrassing. 

Exactly my thoughts. As a fan, it doesn’t matter to me whether the result has a success bearing or not. It’s a match where these players represent the club by way of wearing the shirt and there should be a responsibility associated with that no matter when and where we play. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ham said:

Should have been 2-0 up before they scored.  Their fitness and cohesion is way ahead of us right now.  

We're not getting Palmer, Cucurella or Gallagher in the US.  

Caicedo and Enzo missing.  Jackson and KDH too.  

Team full of strangers playing for a brand new coach with a brand new system and it shows. 

Poch had that problem last pre-season with a brand new bag of dolly mixtures and got results.  

We are hanging our hats on players who didn't travel as an excuse.

3 hours ago, chara said:

As a result oriented game a disaster, But,,from a coaching teams pov exactly what they wanted...a chance to see how a newly assembled squad performed from a tactical, fitness,  personal application and intangible game presence rather than on a training field.

Despair not,,,at least four players who started did not kick a serious ball for Chelsea last season plus those whose participation was severely restricted by injury,

Can anybody recall tour preseason results, or even care now, from before last year,,without refering to records?

How many games to go ?

Question...how does any feel about aJackson/Guiu (AKA The Spanish Lad.) partnership?

Older members..Guiu has the looker of a "smoother" Hutch?... just me?

Well Mascara got 13 days to integrate all the non travelling game changers into his system before the Chity game. 

Based on his last two weeks or coaching it might be a tall order to ask?

• Like 1

Haven’t watched either pre-season game and probably won’t watch any of the others either, so I can’t and won’t be able to comment much on the performances.

It’s early in pre-season, we have quite a few first team players missing and the coach hasn’t had much time to coach and implement his ideas, plus we’ve played 2 teams further into their pre-season than us, therefore I’m really not overly concerned by the results so far. That said, it’s hard to not be a little nervous when reading about a 4-1 defeat to Celtic, where it sounds like we performed really poorly, especially the defence.

Maresca and probably more the owners, can’t afford a slow start to the season because the press and sections of the fan base will be all over them. I don’t expect that to actually be the case though, the Man City opener aside, I think we’ll start fairly strong.

If this was still a sport and not a business, I would imagine following another long season and then international tournaments, the club wouldn’t be flying around the USA during pre-season and would have instead, stayed at home, allowed the manager more time on the training pitch before any friendlies and then played a few matches much closer to home. But pre-season is now seen as a money making period, where clubs can parade the players around, getting overseas fans to part with their money and the clubs hoping to gain more fans from the various locations they visit… so that they can spend money following the club in the years to come. I get it, the clubs need to generate income in as many ways as possible, I just don’t like it. I miss the sport I fell in love with.

Palmer, Gallagher and Cucurella won’t fly out to the US, which is the correct decision, but they’re going to be quite a few weeks behind the rest in terms of getting an understanding of what the new coach wants. That’s a concern.

It’s all modern football at its best (it’s not a Chelsea thing, it’s a football thing)… £££££.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2