Borussia Dortmund 1 Chelsea 0

JaneB

1 minute ago, ShedMiddle said:

I think it just needs to click. A goal could all be that is required. Two great performances away from home in the last two games where normally we'd come away with the wins. 

Get the striker comments but, I don't think it's just down to this. It's more to do with confidence, some of those chances could've easily been in on another day. We're only going to get better from here as the team start to settle and gel!

Like the optimism. The goals for column indicate that the issue is and has been with us most of the season. 

Haaland has scored almost more goals himself than we have all season. 

It’s not as if we’re missing real sitters, the chances we are fashioning are half chances, a high class striker scores Felix’s and KK’s chances tonight 

3 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Just remind me, why is that? What happened?

Don’t know why genuinely, looked like he was abroad somewhere at the weekend. He was excluded from the CL squad to make space for the new signings, as was Badiashile. The latter I semi-understood as KK looks ok in the CL and GP had a tricky scenario.

Possible that GP saw him as expendable, as he was signed just before TT got the push.

11 minutes ago, east lower said:

Like the optimism. The goals for column indicate that the issue is and has been with us most of the season. 

Haaland has scored almost more goals himself than we have all season. 

It’s not as if we’re missing real sitters, the chances we are fashioning are half chances, a high class striker scores Felix’s and KK’s chances tonight 

Get that but, realistically we've got a completely new team that have only played a few matches together. I wouldn't put my house on a striker solving our issues. Haaland may be an exception to the rule - maybe he'll be available in the summer when City are demoted to conference league football 😉

Tough one to take, that.  I thought we played really well, especially second half.

Credit to Koulibaly and Loftus-cheek for coming in lacking gametime and putting really good shifts in. Also refreshing to see Chilwell on the pitch again.  Forgot how different a player he is to Cucurella - lots of strong runs forward and a real danger from deep.

Felix is top, top drawer and I thought Mount looked lively when he came on too, and was really unlucky to be booked as he didn’t actually do much wrong.  

Thought Mudryk was quiet again and I wouldn’t be surprised if Sterling comes in for him next leg if he’s fit.  Obviously his pace and talent is clear, but he might just need a bit of time to settle.

As others have said, we are still in this. 

27 minutes ago, Trini_Blue said:

Felix looks like a keeper for sure. Silva, James, Enzo and Felix were a cut above everyone on the field. Strong performances from Chilwell, Loftus Cheek and Koulibaly as well. Felt Kepa was again very good too. 

Jude Bellingham looks like a very huge guy and he carries the ball well. He's got that edge to him. Whoever he goes to in the summer will get a really good player IMO.

Bellingham is what RLC would've been barring injuries. Again today RLC gave a glimpse of what he can do just a shame that injuries have blighted his career

4 minutes ago, ShedMiddle said:

Get that but, realistically we've got a completely new team that have only played a few matches together. I wouldn't put my house on a striker solving our issues. Haaland may be an exception to the rule - maybe he'll be available in the summer when City are demoted to conference league football 😉

Don’t bet your house/wife/dog/mortgage on the latter happening.

Goal scoring has been a bit of a problem for us, for more than just this season and if you look back it’s only the really exceptional strikers Drogba, Costa and Anelka who got 20+ for us in a season. However, this season we’re not making lots of chances or scoring them. 

A constantly changing team, injuries and then new signings might not have helped. But, GP’s sides haven’t been free-scoring and it shows up with us currently.

1 minute ago, Original 21 said:

I get that Aubameyang isn’t seen as a long term option for us. But we’re looking a more creative side for the last two games and I can’t help feeling that with James, Ziyech and Felix supplying balls into the box, he’d be a better option than Havertz right now. 

This.

P.S.: I'd be a better option than Havertz right now!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

I get that Aubameyang isn’t seen as a long term option for us. But we’re looking a more creative side for the last two games and I can’t help feeling that with James, Ziyech and Felix supplying balls into the box, he’d be a better option than Havertz right now. 

I can't believe I'm actually about to say this, but I think even Lukaku would score with this creativity. 

Sadly he's a bit of a big fat see you next Tuesday

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

P.S.: I'd be a better option than Havertz right now!

Well seeing as I haven't got Jorginho to moan about anymore....Havertz slides into that role rather nicely😃.

I can't even criticise Ziyech tonight(plenty of time for that in the future I'm sure!).

Tonight was the first time I moved forward in my seat,not quite on the edge - but overall I see progress.

1 hour ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Honestly, just thinking back on the chances. Felix could end up with 2 goals, Koulibaly with one, Enzo with one and we are laughing with a 4-1 win or something.

This. 

1 hour ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

If we play like that at the Bridge, we will surely score at least 3 goals.

Don't jinx it mate!

• Sad 1

As a resident doom and gloom merchant I find myself a bit confused.

We haven't dominated a decent team like that in quite a while especially away from home and in europe.

We are starting to look competitive again and I don't care what anyone says.

We are a decent striker and a midfielder away from going up another notch.

The day that RLC and Havertz are nowhere near the starting lineup I will say we have cracked it.

12 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

This.

There is more to it than that.We have tried several strikers that haven't worked.

We can also see there has been a trend that our forward players are impotent because of a clueless midfield.Mudryke is on the verge of anonymity just like Werner.

A fully fit Kante in his prime and all we need is someone who can put the ball in the net.

34 minutes ago, kev61 said:

There is more to it than that.

Not much more.

We have tried several strikers that haven't worked.

That's because they weren't/aren't very good, or we weren't set up to play to their strengths.. Like Lukaku, and like Werner.

A fully fit Kante in his prime and all we need is someone who can put the ball in the net.

Yes Kev, that's all we need. Simple isn't it? Except we can't find a find a 'fully fit' Kante, or (perhaps more importantly) somebody who can put the ball in the net. And so here we are.

22 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Yes Kev, that's all we need. Simple isn't it? Except we can't find a find a 'fully fit' Kante, or (perhaps more importantly) somebody who can put the ball in the net. And so here we are.

It's certainly not "simple" but it is common sense we need an all action midfielder and someone that doesn't crap themselves in front of goal.

1 minute ago, kev61 said:

It's certainly not "simple" but it is common sense we need an all action midfielder and someone that doesn't crap themselves in front of goal.

And so far we haven't been able to find either. And I'm sure that we've been looking. And looking.

We've spent a fortune on distinctly average players who've disappointed. If Todd is doing the looking and choosing, then he needs to stop. If it's GP, then ditto.

8 hours ago, Proud-Blue said:

This result tonight is not on Potter.

System was good, play was good, defensively we were generally solid other than their goal. We should have won this game 2 or 3-1. Felix should have got at least two

We just can't score and we're really not going to get very far while that remains the case...

I am not going to pin defeat squarely on Potter, but he is the coach. And he is the coach of teams who score very few goals. I really don't think we can separate the result and him so cleanly.

I don't know what to make of last night. Like a lot of you, I thought we generally played well. But we still lost. In isolation, I'd not be too bothered. But it isn't in isolation. It's one win in 2023. I don't share any of the optimism that we can persevere as is and it will "click".

13 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I am not going to pin defeat squarely on Potter, but he is the coach. And he is the coach of teams who score very few goals. I really don't think we can separate the result and him so cleanly.

I don't know what to make of last night. Like a lot of you, I thought we generally played well. But we still lost. In isolation, I'd not be too bothered. But it isn't in isolation. It's one win in 2023. I don't share any of the optimism that we can persevere as is and it will "click".

Of the same mindset really. Thought we played relatively well, but it's the same old story even against a Dortmund side that plays open football and have a tendency to ship goals. We sorely lack a presence upfront, but there's still several other areas where improvement (or development in some cases) is needed. At the same time, Potter teams are historically low scoring so even if we had the necessary pieces would things truly "click"? That's the million dollar question.

2 hours ago, kev61 said:

There is more to it than that.We have tried several strikers that haven't worked.

We can also see there has been a trend that our forward players are impotent because of a clueless midfield.Mudryke is on the verge of anonymity just like Werner.

Mudryk has played about 200 minutes of football since last November, he's going to be rough around the edges and take some time to fully settle. He's basically starting a the equivalent of a new season, mid-campaign, without a pre-season, in a new league and environment. 

A prime Kante changes nothing in the grand scheme of things. He doesn't score goals, he doesn't create, and arguably the last type of player we need right now is a midfielder that ball chases all over the pitch and will further prevent Enzo from getting forward. 

3 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

A prime Kante changes nothing in the grand scheme of things. He doesn't score goals, he doesn't create, and arguably the last type of player we need right now is a midfielder that ball chases all over the pitch and will further prevent Enzo from getting forward. 

There you have it.Words fail me."a prime Kante changes nothing"!!.

I said before you've had it in for Kante for whatever reason is only revealed by you.

22 minutes ago, kev61 said:

There you have it.Words fail me."a prime Kante changes nothing"!!.

I said before you've had it in for Kante for whatever reason is only revealed by you.

Because you're completing ignoring the skillset of the player in favour of their reputation. 

Would Kante be a nice player to have, of f-ing course, but he's not the solution to any of our problems either. We're not missing a ball-chasing midfielder that's technically limited, nor is positionally disciplined enough to sit deep and unlock Enzo. 

Kante was a brilliant player, but we're better serviced with a different profile of midfielder given the makeup of the current team. Not that shocking of a take.

Edited by xceleryx