Chelsea 3 Club America 0

JaneB

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Looks like we missed a stack of chances. Some things don't change! 

Most of the missed chances came from someone playing his first 45 minutes of pre-season (so more than a bit rusty) who - as a new signing, even though known to the new coach - was probably trying a bit too hard to impress.

I was encouraged by the number of chances created, and as the new players (and I include Lavia and Nkunku amongst those, given how little they played last season) and those returning from international duty get integrated and everyone gets up to speed with the new patterns of play expected of them, so the odd mistakes we saw last night (missed passes/chances) get ironed out.

I'm optimistic for the season ahead.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Remember when Man United used to "get all the penalties" it was argued that it was because they spent more time trying to score goals than everyone else and were therefore in the area more often .

This is like that , they were both legitimate penalties that we sadly won't get in the Premier League because " Chelsea" so I'll take them here. 

Penalties..particularily the second one...keeper pulled his arms back but appeared to me to catch our man with his body enough to bring him down,,,that's how I saw it on the first replay,,,could be wrong of course but first reaction was maybe  a "dive" one...the sort of VAR 10 second review giving Manure etc a penalty and a half hour debate deciding how to deny Chelsea the decision!

The first one looked pretty clear so probably only a ten minute VAR review in the EPL with a debatable decision reluctantly giving Chelsea a penalty!'

Far more realistic preseason tour game,,,not the "Wrexham" "Roy Of The Rovers" narrative pushed by the media here and in UK and not against a side with a National built in inferiority complex ahead in preparation and looking to "take a scalp.

Did I mention I like The Spanish Lad?

3 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I think Nkunku will have a good season and decent output, as long as he stays fit. Palmer will do well again, although I'd be shocked if he puts up the same numbers as last season. Jackson, I'm more positive than you I think, I like him and think he will continue to improve and will get a good amount of goals again, but will frustratingly continue to miss chances as well.

Outside of those 3, Guiu will hopefully chip in, but not many goals elsewhere.

Jackson will always be one of those players where their things you like about him and things you don’t.  I like the way he keeps trying and doesn’t hide!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Jackson will always be one of those players where their things you like about him and things you don’t.  I like the way he keeps trying and doesn’t hide!!

If like to see him and Nkunku in a hybrid partnership where both have freedom to go wherever they like.

Jackson looked brilliant on the left whenever he wandered out there but switching would give the defenders something to think about. 

@Ham;;; not sure how if it could be worked properly but Cole linking up withTSL,Nkunku and Jackson or a combination of 2 out of the three would work but some intriguing possibilities,,,I'm sure Cole will benefit hugely from having better goal scorer options in front and around him.  

2 hours ago, Ham said:

If like to see him and Nkunku in a hybrid partnership where both have freedom to go wherever they like.

Jackson looked brilliant on the left whenever he wandered out there but switching would give the defenders something to think about. 

The very few times they have been on the pitch together they have linked up really well. I  expect Nkunku to play as an 8/10 and Sterling from the left. I have no doubt Sterling will prove all his doubters wrong next year and be back to his best. He's another that likes to drift all over the place and those three together will cause so many problems for the opposition. 

I think it's why we might see the right back be the one that inverts to allow us to use Cucurella more conventionally. With James/Gusto moving into midfield Nkunku and Enzo/Desbury-Hall will then step up. One, Enzo/Dewsbury-Hall in this instance, will occupy the number 10 position whilst Nkunku will then drift out to the left with Sterling. It's almost like having an extra player on the pitch which is why it can be so effective.

With Cucurella overlapping, Nkunku and Sterling combining out wide along with Jackson naturally going out there it could be devastating. It will cause so many problems for the opposition in terms of us creating overloads, moving their players all over the place and out of position and leave so much space for Cole Palmer on the right. Teams will want to double up on him but they won't be able to.

Not only all of that it allows us to press really high and really aggressively as we have 'the extra player on the pitch'. It will be all about winning the ball back incredibly quickly. If we dont then we just reset. James goes back to RB and the two 8/10's drop  into what will be a 433 formation without the ball.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1