Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Matchday prediction  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Chelsea win
    • Draw
    • Manchester City win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/08/24 at 18:00

1 minute ago, Blue Orca said:

Didn't anyone warn Maresca about Sanchez?

I presume he’s in the ‘must play’ bucket along with Enzo. I don’t know why any coach would pick him. I saw that goal and that’s all on him, as so often is the case.

No good having a keeper that can pull off the odd great save, if they’re guaranteed to gift the opposition at least a couple of chances a match.

Top teams have a keeper that can win them points through the season, we have the opposite.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, NoblyBobly said:

Maybe this isn’t the worse game for the penny to start dropping. 

But will it?...is Flip an improvement ?...even the unfairlyi mho berated Petr showed a difference,

And the Citeh keeper, to my surprise, looked iffy at times,

Edited by chara

1 minute ago, Thiago97 said:

Performance and result fully expected. We will learn far more next week away at Wolves than we have today. 

Wolves more than had our number twice last season mind you. So we’ll need to massively improve on those performances to get anything up there.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Just a friendly reminder to everyone, we’re playing Man City today, arguably the greatest team in the world. Before anyone over reacts.

We were that not so long ago. 
we’ve actually been ok. Just some issues need addressing !! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Just a friendly reminder to everyone, we’re playing Man City today, arguably the greatest team in the world. Before anyone over reacts.

True but it wasn’t hard for Citeh. For me it’s on Todd, Eggy and those two wankers. The model they have chosen invites mercenaries and substandard players whose clubs can see Clearsnake coming a mile off. 

IMO Fernandez sums up the team - no spirit, no steel, no warriors, no strength and no leaders.

I’m teetotal but I’d say we’re this: all foam and no beer.🍺💀🎯

• Agree 2

A watchable game where we lose. Quite refreshing actually.

Pros:

Players' attitude. Progressive style of play. Cucurella (until the injury). 

Cons:

Fernandez. Home support as usual. Lack of focus of attack.

At least Nobbly got his wish in the eventually of a loss, and I got my consolation of a couple of quid at 9/10.

5 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

And our Manager worked for them as recently as 18 months ago and came up with a tactical plan that has seen them win comfortably. So that’s not terribly encouraging.

• Like 1

• JaneB changed the title to Chelsea 0 Manchester City 2

Unlucky, don't think we deserve losing by more than a goal. With a bit more of a focal point up front I think it would be reasonable to have expected us to take at least a point from this on balance. Mind I only watched the first 45 and then from the 58th minute due to a dinner break. 

A few observations;

- Cucurella was immense. I see no way back for Chilwell. 

- Lavia bossed the midefield. No idea why he was taken off? Perhaps I missed something in the first minutes of the second half (only watched the first 45). He will be one of the first names on the team sheet this season. No doubt about that. 

- Gusto was equally impressive. If he keeps this up, I'm not sure how he can be benched for James. We must find a way to play both. 

- With a proper partner beside him Caicedo looks a different player. 

- Jackson largely disappointing, clearly not match fit or so it seemed. We badly need a new striker. This team is crying out for an Osimhen type of striker. 

- Palmer some way off his best.

- Enzo a mixed bag. Some very positive forward passes, but he also needlessly lost the ball through bad execution. There is no way he will play in a two-man midfield. We will create a place for him by shunting Nkunku out left. Not sure I agree with that decision. 

- None of the subs looked good enough. Not an easy game to come on in, but Neto looked very isolated and when on the ball didn't make the best decisions. 

- No idea why Nkunku was subbed off. He wasn't pulling up trees, but at the same time he was one of the few that threathened going forward.

- Fofana and Colwill looked good as a partnership. Suspect positioning from Fofana for Haalands goal. But it was unlucky with that touch. 

- Taylor didn't give us anything. No blatant mistakes, but I have a feeling that some of those decisions would have been given if it was the other way around. He also gave City so many easy free-kicks when they couldn't handle our pressing game. 

- Big disappointment we didn't go for it over the last 20 mins. We completely lost our rhythm when Lavia and Nkunku went off.

- Squad depth not as good as we may have thought. 

All in all. Don't think we deserved to lose by two goals. But we simply can't go into the new season with Jackson and Guiu our only strikers. That is a mad, mad mistake. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, martin1905 said:

The first game in what is going to be an incredibly exciting season. After a performances like that I have no worries going into our next 5 or 6 games before it will get really tough.

Literally everyone said they didn't want to get smashed. We didn't and not only that we played our game and more than held our own. Against one of the best teams on the planet. 

If anyone doesn't see that performance as incredibly encouraging then they are looking for negatives for the sake of it. There was more than enough positives to take from that performance. You can see what the plan is and after playing like that, in our first game, against City,  it's just going to get better and better.

I’ll have what you’re smoking. We’re powder puff, pathetic and weak. IMO. 👀🎯🎯 I actually thought we’d win, and give them a fight. Instead it was a second-gear Citeh that cantered home.

• Agree 1

I wasn't surprised; I thought we were a bit disjointed at times, and, as I think most have said, the defence needs work. I'm not sure what is wrong with Caicedo. He seems to be mistiming more challenges. Maybe he's not yet up to speed.