Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Matchday prediction  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Chelsea win
    • Draw
    • Manchester City win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/08/24 at 18:00

24 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Think one game is pretty easy to project our own overall narratives onto, especially a defeat against a brilliant team that relied on two specific moments more so than general pressure. I certainly didn't see anything to make me feel renewed optimism, but didn't think we were terrible. I think we will lose a lot of games 1-0 this season.

Whole Foods is gone from Fulham Broadway but Aldi will be opening up soon, if that means anything.

Yep, I have this same fear. To be honest , I have had this worry since Maresca got the job. 
Reading about him and his style, and watching highlights of Leicester games, alongside our lack of killer instinct , it all point to games of dominating possession with few chances created and scored. 

• Agree 1

Thought we gave City more of a game last season. We’ve had another transfer window, a new coach, a preseason, and we look like we’ve gone backwards. 

Saying that we were only decent last season when Palmer was tearing it up.  He looked well off the pace today. As was Jackson.  

Fact is we’re hobbled without a proven centre forward. Hope today buries the idea we can go into the season trying to play with a false nine.  

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, east lower said:

Should have been down my end, not sure there many positive people there.

We've written off the season before a ball has been kicked and literally everything is negative. 

Says a lot about our fan base, especially the moaning and groaning I heard today when we were trying to play out from the back. Sounded like there was almost some,  very quiet as it was only a handful,  boos at the final whistle which is just shocking.

It literally doesn't matter what we do. We, at a minimum met expectations for today's game, yet nothing but negativity.

I don't think other than the final 15 minutes or so there was much in it so we've gone toe to toe with the best team this league has ever seen for 70% of the game and seen lots of positives, far more positives than negatives yet the overall feeling is a negative one.

It's literally the first game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, Original 21 said:

Thought we gave City more of a game last season. We’ve had another transfer window, a new coach, a preseason, and we look like we’ve gone backwards. 

Saying that we were only decent last season when Palmer was tearing it up.  He looked well off the pace today. As was Jackson.  

Fact is we’re hobbled without a proven centre forward. Hope today buries the idea we can go into the season trying to play with a false nine.  

I was more than a little concerned by that Palmer performance. I think Poch ended up giving him free rein and licence to create problems throughout last season. Today he looked more fixed into a position and system, especially in that first half.

Early days, but I think there were signs there today that his influence will decrease compared with last season, now playing in a more rigid structure……which is all fine if it makes the team better. 

We weren't good, we weren't terrible. 

I think the word "meh" sums it up for me. I'd have hoped we would test their defence more, but we didn't look like conceding every few minutes. That does represent some progress from preseason.

Lavia was motm for me, and I thought our performance declined after he was taken off. He looked sharp defensively and was one of the few playing quick passes forwards. 

I don't think Nkunku on the left and Palmer on the right is the answer. You lose the best of both, and I'd have much rather seen Nkunku in the centre at some point. I'm also surprised Madueke didn't get on the pitch.

Defensively it was more positive than i thought. However, Sanchez I'm afraid just is not good enough. He's a mid table keeper at best, and it's concerning he is what we have after all we spent on keepers. This could be a real problem for us now.

All this said, I really don't think this is the game to overreact to. Even if they weren't at their best, they're still a lot better than us. This was a mediocre performance, not a brilliant or abject one. So I believe a measured response is the right one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

I was more than a little concerned by that Palmer performance. I think Poch ended up giving him free rein and licence to create problems throughout last season. Today he looked more fixed into a position and system, especially in that first half.

Early days, but I think there were signs there today that his influence will decrease compared with last season, now playing in a more rigid structure……which is all fine if it makes the team better. 

From my view in the West Upper Palmer looked like the only player who was going to make something happen. We cannot waste him on the wing.

Before the game I thought to myself that there was a 70 minute team there,,just idle thought that was spot on more by luck than judgement.

I expect Mr Taylor will be pleased with his game today,,,able to deny Chelsea any edge without causing any discussion but despite much appreciated answer to my question I am still puzzled about the Jackson offside.... an offside position for the shot but in no way interfering with play,,,had the shot gone in would the goal been disallowed because of Jackson's position?

I still need that explained if only to upgrade my football awareness.

The denied penalty shouts?.... not questioning so much the turning down of the appeals just wondering what would have happened had they been in the Chelsea area.

How is Enzo Captain?.... saw no leadership from him but in honesty I'm not sure anyone at the moment can fill the role as it should be...(able call a coin toss is not the highest qualification for the job but seems enough at this time.).... ..including Reece.

Reminded me of Ipswich v Liverpool yesterday. Lots of huff and puff but ultimately we were overpowered and they scored two with ease.  We are a mid table side trying to boss it with the big boys. Unless we buy a decent No 9 we will fail. Oh by the way the atmosphere at SB was shite, a form of apathy has now taken place. This is a death by a thousand cuts.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

I saw enough from today’s game to have some confidence in what Maresca is trying to do. I also think that we should remember that he isn’t responsible for buying and selling the players. That’s the job for someone else. 

The whole winning the ball back quickly worked a few times and that really rattled City. If we have a fit Palmer I think it would have made a world of difference. But the main issue for me is in attack. Jackson is fine as S2. Guiu may have talent, but to have to throw him on in such a game with his lack of senior football is ridiculous. What the fuck are the football men upstairs thinking? We need a S1 and we need it now. It’s absolutely necessary I’m afraid. If we do get such a player I can see us being an outsider for a top four finish. Yep. I’m serious. 

The other thing I thought was interesting was how we ensured 3atb when we had the ball. In periods it was Lavia stepping down with both Gusto and Cucurella pushing high. Other times it was Cucurella who tucked in at DM with Caicedo pushing forward and Gusto staying at RCB. Other times it was Cucurella who played that LCB role and Gusto tucking in at DM. At least that’s how it looked for me watching it on the telly - perhaps someone who sat in the ground has a different view? 

Regardless - Lavia needs to be an automatic starter for us. Our play simply died when he went off. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

33 minutes ago, Proud-Blue said:

However, Sanchez I'm afraid just is not good enough. He's a mid table keeper at best, 

Well we're just a mid table club at the moment, albeit maybe at the top of that particular echelon.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, martin1905 said:

We've written off the season before a ball has been kicked and literally everything is negative. 

Says a lot about our fan base, especially the moaning and groaning I heard today when we were trying to play out from the back. Sounded like there was almost some,  very quiet as it was only a handful,  boos at the final whistle which is just shocking.

It literally doesn't matter what we do. We, at a minimum met expectations for today's game, yet nothing but negativity.

I don't think other than the final 15 minutes or so there was much in it so we've gone toe to toe with the best team this league has ever seen for 70% of the game and seen lots of positives, far more positives than negatives yet the overall feeling is a negative one.

It's literally the first game.

City hardly broke sweat, I’ve said there were positives…..but unless the shackles of Sanchez and Fernandez are removed then we’re hamstrung. And IF the coach is being ‘coached’ who to play, we’re well and truly f****d.

I actually am half-hoping for a transfer ban, it’ll stop the lunatics who are running this asylum making any more massive errors.

Edited by east lower
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just got home from the game.

My thoughts are Lavia looked very accomplished in the pivot and I think Caicedo will benefit from having him as his partner.

The partnership of Fofana and Colwill was alright but nothing special really.

Gusto had a few brain farts today and I thought Enzo in the opposition box is a complete waste of time.

Nkunku is not a winger and would have taken off Enzo for Neto and moved Nkunku into the 10 position.

Nic Jackson is a nice player but not ruthless or instinctive enough to lead our line for the whole season.

And Sanchez? I think we'd be better off with a one armed juggling clown.

Overall okay in the first half and meh in the second.

Unfortunate to get city on the opening day but thems the breaks.

• Agree 3

19 minutes ago, Bigpokey24 said:

People with this mindset are what we need in the DOF roles, not Lawrence the Leech and Winstanley the Weasel (there’s another six letter word that begins with W, but for the sake of politeness I went with Weasel).

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

So Enzo was asked to press relentlessly from the 10 position and couldn't hack it.... if only we had a player in our squad that was a perfect fit for that role

He couldn’t press the on button on my washing machine!

Not bad with the on button on the video on his mobile though.

Edited by east lower
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

On a positive note I thought Fofana and Colwill were fine and look to be our CB pairing going forward. While Lavia was our best player in midfield. Cucurella seems to have nailed down the LB position. Hopefully his going off was just a precaution and nothing more.

On the negative, I’m not sure how long it’s going to take for Maresca to drop Sanchez, but Poch is no fool and he knew he couldn’t rely on him.

Also, the midfield trio of Lavia, Caicedo and Enzo is worrying. It’ll surely have to be two out of three rotated eventually. Just not enough creativity and goals happening there. 

Maresca will need to sort out the attacking positions. Nkunku was wasted on the wing and I was surprised he was taken off instead of Jackson or Enzo. Also, Palmer looked out of sorts and will need a few games to get up to speed. 

Would’ve liked to see Madueke start on the wing as he’s been our most effective winger in preseason. I’m surprised there's talk of him for sale.  

Overall, a very cautious start from Maresca which stopped a rout but didn’t give us a chance to really test them. Hope that’s not a sign of things to come. 

Edited by Original 21
  • Like 1

I felt less optimistic about Moresco than any of our recent appointments. But I feel a lot more optimistic from what I saw today. A lot of positive srudd thar makes a good team.

I'm glad that we got rid of the idea that Pochettino was doing to win us trophies. Now we must find the same common sense to banish the ideas that Nicolas Jackson will turn into a top striker.  

Just like last season, our besr chance of scoring against City was from a striker on the shoulder of their defence. Good luck when the striker doesn't seem to have a clue about offside offside position.  He's also a poor al round footballer. Had he playws in Nkunku early in the match, we could have had City chasing the game.

I haven't seen anything so far to suggest   Colwill is a decent, never mind top, defender. He was culpable for the Inter,-s goal, City,-s first, and their second.. We must move him.