Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Matchday prediction  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Chelsea win
    • Draw
    • Manchester City win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/08/24 at 18:00

6 minutes ago, chara said:

Perish the thought!

I posted my thoughts on the ref earlier...smug s***h***e..... perfect scenario's yesterday for him to deny Chelsea without needing to defend the decisions..or lack of them.

The "I've Seen Them Given" incidents, (easily deniable,) but not by Anthony for Chelsea.

I haven't forgotten the "Dawning of the Age of Aquarius" incident response from him!!

🙈💈💇‍♂️

I thought the push on Enzo and handball were both very good shouts for pens. And I’m still confused at the off side when the keeper pushed it out and we scored. I suppose they must be the rules. 

9 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I thought the push on Enzo and handball were both very good shouts for pens. And I’m still confused at the off side when the keeper pushed it out and we scored. I suppose they must be the rules. 

Agree  NB... as I did during the game,,,good shouts but easily let go..it's not just the blatant stuff that annoys me and anyone with some idea of the game.

49 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

I don’t know, may as well try him in goal. 

I thought maybe RB cover for Gusto. Then I remembered he can't tackle, can't sprint and is rubbish with his back to goal. 😄

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

Well we shall see if the “new” thresholds for giving a penalty are consistently applied.

If so, then both decisions would be fine with me.  

Time will tell!

Slightly confused. If the pens given last season were correct and there will be fewer pens this season because of new "thresholds", does that mean that some valid penalties this season will not be given or that some of the pens given last season were not correct after all?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Slightly confused. If the pens given last season were correct and there will be fewer pens this season because of new "thresholds", does that mean that some valid penalties this season will not be given or that some of the pens given last season were not correct after all?

Just another example of the tail wagging the dog as it were,,,the PG mob are there to follow the rules (laws of the game) not bend them to their agenda.

As I see it they are saying marginal decisions even after VAR will be dismissed...

So a blatant penalty with a player kicked in the air etc is ok to give but the sly, hopefully unsighted pull back or ankle clip as much of a penalty is to be overlooked ?

Regardless of media tears etc anyone who has played or watched the game will get a handball decision correct most of the time..it's not microscopic observations.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, xceleryx said:

And what does this have to do with Chalobah's own individual quality exactly? 

I mean it is reductive to say it's not relevant @xceleryx. Like Gallagher, fans would be okay with selling academy players if we improved the squad with clearly better players and sensible transfer policy. No centre-back we have signed is clearly better than Chalobah, in fact he's ahead of all of them only with Fofana needing some patience due to injuries.

25 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I mean it is reductive to say it's not relevant @xceleryx. Like Gallagher, fans would be okay with selling academy players if we improved the squad with clearly better players and sensible transfer policy. No centre-back we have signed is clearly better than Chalobah, in fact he's ahead of all of them only with Fofana needing some patience due to injuries.

Entirely untrue because many pissed and fucking moaned for years when we sold off young talent even when we went and purchased "better" players later on. I vividly recall the meltdown when we sold Boga for example.

I've outlined WHY someone like Chalobah isn't particularly good, I'm still yet to hear any sort of reasonable counter-argument that explains what he does well to make  him this apparent beacon of defensive light. Believe it or not decisions on players get made on things beyond just talent alone -  their strengths, weaknesses, and skillset are all influential factors.

Just because our other CB options are debatable in their own way doesn't magically make Chalobah a better choice, many simply have more favourable attributes that lend themselves to what we want and need. That may be subjective to a degree, but there's also factual data that supports this. 

Now, I like Chalobah and backed him for big things when he broke through but there's not really anything he offers as a player that we're missing. Again, his strongest assets are his pace and versatility, neither are enough.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Entirely untrue because many pissed and fucking moaned for years when we sold off young talent even when we went and purchased "better" players later on. I vividly recall the meltdown when we sold Boga for example.

I've outlined WHY someone like Chalobah isn't particularly good, I'm still yet to hear any sort of reasonable counter-argument that explains what he does well to make  him this apparent beacon of defensive light. Believe it or not decisions on players get made on things beyond just talent alone -  their strengths, weaknesses, and skillset are all influential factors.

Just because our other CB options are debatable in their own way doesn't magically make Chalobah a better choice, many simply have more favourable attributes that lend themselves to what we want and need. That may be subjective to a degree, but there's also factual data that supports this. 

Now, I like Chalobah and backed him for big things when he broke through but there's not really anything he offers as a player that we're missing. Again, his strongest assets are his pace and versatility, neither are enough.

I've explained many times to you in paragraph after paragraph why Chalobah is a better defender than Badiashille and Disasi, including factual data that supports my opinion.

I accept we have a different opinion on him - but IMO it's wrong to suggest that people have not tried to make an honest case for Chalobah, or that what you are saying is not subjective.

I accept you have made an honest case against him and that we have a different opinion. That's okay 🫡

16 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Can you name any of our CBs that would be of interest to a top 6 club? 

https://metro.co.uk/2024/02/21/liverpool-plotting-summer-transfer-move-chelsea-star-levi-colwill-20319848/

I also think a fully fit Fofana would (not necessarily at the price we paid)

Let's see where TC ends up, but Man Utd were looking to sign 2 CBs this summer, and I didn't see them come knocking. 

Newcastle were in for Tosin too, if I recall correctly. 

12 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I've explained many times to you in paragraph after paragraph why Chalobah is a better defender than Badiashille and Disasi, including factual data that supports my opinion.

I accept we have a different opinion on him - but IMO it's wrong to suggest that people have not tried to make an honest case for Chalobah, or that what you are saying is not subjective.

I accept you have made an honest case against him and that we have a different opinion. That's okay 🫡

Can't say I recall any of this, but hey, I'll agree that we disagree.

• Like 1

I thought the push on Enzo and handball were both very good shouts for pens.

I thought the push would have been very soft, but it's probably one of those fouls that gets given on the halfway line.

The handball, I would be furious if that was given against us. About a yard away and hits the upper arm. He can't chop his arms off.

. And I’m still confused at the off side when the keeper pushed it out and we scored. I suppose they must be the rules. 

The goalkeeper saving a ball is not regarded in the same way as a defender playing the ball and it becoming the next phase.

33 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I thought the push would have been very soft, but it's probably one of those fouls that gets given on the halfway line.

The handball, I would be furious if that was given against us. About a yard away and hits the upper arm. He can't chop his arms off.

The goalkeeper saving a ball is not regarded in the same way as a defender playing the ball and it becoming the next phase.

I think the push would certainly have been given in a midfield scenario. 
The handball has me in two minds. Could he get his hand/arm out the way in time ? No is the answer. But there’s a reason you see defenders going to the extreme of clasping their hands behind their backs when a player is in front of them with the ball. They don’t want to risk the arm being hit, unnatural or otherwise. So I do feel that if you are in the pen area ( unless you are jumping which needs arm movement) you keep your hands DOWN especially when confronting a player with the ball who may be trying to shoot and knock the ball past you. 
So you ask how I would feel if it was given against us?Well I will let you know when it happens Paul ( and prepare to be furious) , because that kind of incident will be given against us this season, you can put your shirt on that. 

Edited by NoblyBobly
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

? No is the answer. But there’s a reason you see defenders going to the extreme of clasping their hands behind their backs when a player is in front of them with the ball. They don’t want to risk the arm being hit, unnatural or otherwise. So I do feel that if you are in the pen area ( unless you are jumping which needs arm movement) you keep your hands DOWN especially when confronting a player with the ball who may be trying to shoot and knock the ball past you. 

This is the whole point; they have changed the laws so you don't need to run around with your hands behind your back, as it's ludicrous. to run around properly, the arms go up and down; it's completely natural.

10 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

So you ask how I would feel if it was given against us? Well I will let you know when it happens Paul ( and prepare to be furious) , because that kind of incident will be given against us this season, you can put your shirt on that. 

Well, this is the worry..........next week it will be given. whether against us, or someone else but I agree with the intention of the law change, so long as it is consistently applied. 

47 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

This is the whole point; they have changed the laws so you don't need to run around with your hands behind your back, as it's ludicrous. to run around properly, the arms go up and down; it's completely natural.

Well, this is the worry..........next week it will be given. whether against us, or someone else but I agree with the intention of the law change, so long as it is consistently applied. 

I have no problem with new rules. I think pens were given far too easily and unfairly but I suspect they will be cherry picked for certain clubs.

I remember when a new directive came in to stop grappling from corners and dead balls. That lasted for about 5 mins. 

• Agree 1

On 18/08/2024 at 19:30, Ham said:

Yeah the season is over. We've all seen enough. 

#marescaout

Of course the season is not over, but I'll take a charity bet right  now that we wont be near top four this seadon, score considerably fewer goals and Palmer half the player he was last season.

Enzo' s style of play is already being mocked by top end papers like the Times.  It's as clear as day he's a  systems heavy manager where players will have to fit ridgedly into that system. That is not going to get the best out os players like Palmer! 

Last season we gave City all the trouble they could handle. On Sunday we could barely lay a glove on a City team playing at 50%.  Sunday was a horrid return to the shit scared, tedious tripe whenever we came up against a half decent team.

But as I said I my previous post, it the owners I blame for what's happening at our club, not Enzo. It's the owners I want out asp! Sick to death at the way they treat human beings,   treating them  like second hand car dealers  treat and old bangers. As far as I'm concerned, they've destroyed the heart and soul of the club.😡  

On 18/08/2024 at 19:22, martin1905 said:

Talk about trying to rewrite history, we were absolutely shocking for the vast majority of last season. 

Almost doubled our goal tally in one season. 

4th best points tally from December to the end of the season.

Every journo and neutral supporter saying we looked a hot bet for top four next season.

Only those who held childish grudges against Poch will deny those facts!

4 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Of course the season is not over, but I'll take a charity bet right  now that we wont be near top four this seadon, score considerably fewer goals and Palmer half the player he was last season.

Enzo' s style of play is already being mocked by top end papers like the Times.  It's as clear as day he's a  systems heavy manager where players will have to fit ridgedly into that system. That is not going to get the best out os players like Palmer! 

Last season we gave City all the trouble they could handle. On Sunday we could barely lay a glove on a City team playing at 50%.  Sunday was a horrid return to the shit scared, tedious tripe whenever we came up against a half decent team.

But as I said I my previous post, it the owners I blame for what's happening at our club, not Enzo. It's the owners I want out asp! Sick to death at the way they treat human beings,   treating them  like second hand car dealers  treat and old bangers. As far as I'm concerned, they've destroyed the heart and soul of the club.😡  

Well shall we see how we look when window closes because I might take you up on that bet. 
So….some  reasons to be cheerful ( part 3):

Sanchez failed his audition and I’m hoping Enzo M is now starting to look at the other 6. 

Lavia looked excellent. Possible good partnership with Caicedo. 

Defence was better than I thought it would be. 

Neto looked bright and positive. If he can get in behind defences now and again he will be a handful. 

Palmer is still a Chelsea player and one of the best in the PL. I don’t think Maresco is an idiot and sooner or later he will put him where he is most effective. 

when James returns ( I know I know) he is a serious goal threat. Fully fit he’s the best RB in the league. 

If Osi arrives we are a proper team. Main issue is ‘ how do we solve a problem like Fernandez’. 

In short , I’m looking at a few good positives . 10 games in is always good moment to assess. Although I guess it’s pretty easy right now to say everything’s crap and we are going to hell in a handcart…. there are a few easy targets out there. 
But my hats in the ring. If we get Osi it’s top 4 . 

Edited by NoblyBobly
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Well shall we see how we look when window closes because I might take you up on that bet. 
So….some  reasons to be cheerful ( part 3):

Sanchez failed his audition and I’m hoping Enzo M is now starting to look at the other 6. 

Lavia looked excellent. Possible good partnership with Caicedo. 

Defence was better than I thought it would be. 

Neto looked bright and positive. If he can get in behind defences now and again he will be a handful. 

Palmer is still a Chelsea player and one of the best in the PL. I don’t think Maresco is an idiot and sooner or later he will put him where he is most effective. 

when James returns ( I know I know) he is a serious goal threat. Fully fit he’s the best RB in the league. 

If Osi arrives we are a proper team. Main issue is ‘ how do we solve a problem like Fernandez’. 

In short , I’m looking at a few good positives . 10 games in is always good moment to assess. Although I guess it’s pretty easy right now to say everything’s crap and we are going to hell in a handcart…. there are a few easy targets out there. 
But my hats in the ring. If we get Osi it’s top 4 . 

I was just letting off a bit of steam before it's made a criminal offence to do so in this great country of ours.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

I was just letting off a bit of steam before it's made a criminal offence to do so in this great country of ours.

Starmtroopers are watching 👀

• Like 1