Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Matchday prediction  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Chelsea win
    • Draw
    • Manchester City win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/08/24 at 18:00

2 hours ago, exiledblue said:

If Sanchez is deemed first choice and starts we may as well pack our bags and wait for the next season.

We’ve got seven keepers . If he’s top of that list God help number seven. 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

we were no better with Petrovic last year.

Petrovic had a wobble after a great start but  caught the brain fart virus for a while , but generally speaking he was far more assured and calm. Do you feel more confident with Sanchez in goal? 

26 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Petrovic had a wobble after a great start but  caught the brain fart virus for a while , but generally speaking he was far more assured and calm. Do you feel more confident with Sanchez in goal? 

I think they both had different weaknesses. Neither are top class.

Sanchez always makes me nervous with the ball at his feet, but I can only think of the Rice goal at SB that was a howler. 

Petrovic took less chances with his feet, but he let in a few goals that he really should have saved, and easily. Burnley and Sheffield United were two that spring to mind, as absolute shockers. The Garnacho header at SB was appalling decision making.

Sanchez at least has a bit of extra height. 

Incidentally the whoscored.com site has Sanchez down at an average of 6.65 and Petrovic at 6.62 in the PL last season, so nothing in it. Just amazed really that some (not saying you) have this perception that Petrovic was miles better. I think he had the benefit of being anyone but Sanchez.

Edited by paulw66

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

I think they both had different weaknesses. Neither are top class.

Sanchez always makes me nervous with the ball at his feet, but I can only think of the Rice goal at SB that was a howler. 

Petrovic took less chances with his feet, but he let in a few goals that he really should have saved, and easily. Burnley and Sheffield United were two that spring to mind, as absolute shockers. The Garnacho header at SB was appalling decision making.

Sanchez at least has a bit of extra height. 

Incidentally the whoscored.com site has Sanchez down at an average of 6.65 and Petrovic at 6.62 in the PL last season, so nothing in it. Just amazed really that some (not saying you) have this perception that Petrovic was miles better. I think he had the benefit of being anyone but Sanchez.

I think for me the perception came when Sanchez was injured. He had just had  a series of bad errors coupled with bad results. Petrovic came in and the whole thing looked different and felt different. I don’t know stats at that point but it was a very real difference ( to my eyes anyway). But yes neither are top keepers , I just feel one is better than the other. We should really be having a good look at the new guy. 

2 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

At least I know where I will stay if I’m passing through Singapore! 

Going to be there in November……….but only for 2 x sets of about 4 to 5 hours as I’m catching connecting flights to and from Brisbane.

50 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I think for me the perception came when Sanchez was injured. He had just had  a series of bad errors coupled with bad results. Petrovic came in and the whole thing looked different and felt different. I don’t know stats at that point but it was a very real difference ( to my eyes anyway). But yes neither are top keepers , I just feel one is better than the other. We should really be having a good look at the new guy. 

Sanchez got injured at Everton. Petrovic had the fortune to then have Sheff Utd, Wolves, Palace, Luton, Fulham as his first 5 starts. 

That's perception, IMO as before we had just lost 3 away games on the bounce at Everton, Man Utd and Newcastle. 

Edit - with Sanchez we averaged 1.61 goals against. With Petrovic 1.69. It's negligible. 

Going by final league position, Sanchez played against better teams overall. (average 10 versus 11.4)

Edited by paulw66
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Sanchez got injured at Everton. Petrovic had the fortune to then have Sheff Utd, Wolves, Palace, Luton, Fulham as his first 5 starts. 

That's perception, IMO as before we had just lost 3 away games on the bounce at Everton, Man Utd and Newcastle. 

Edit - with Sanchez we averaged 1.61 goals against. With Petrovic 1.69. It's negligible. 

Going by final league position, Sanchez played against better teams overall. (average 10 versus 11.4)

Tbh Sanchez was capable of his dribbling out the ball and failing, or passing to oppo to the  opponent regardless of opponent. We were giving away stupid goals and not making teams even play well. If you concede from a good goal, or even a goal where you think the keeper could maybe have done better, it’s less infuriating.  Happens to every keeper I expect, no one is fault free. Maybe Sanchez saved more shots, but I focus more on those unforgivable errors that could totally be avoided. In that category Sanchez wins. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Tbh Sanchez was capable of his dribbling out the ball and failing, or passing to oppo to the  opponent regardless of opponent. We were giving away stupid goals and not making teams even play well. If you concede from a good goal, or even a goal where you think the keeper could maybe have done better, it’s less infuriating.  Happens to every keeper I expect, no one is fault free. Maybe Sanchez saved more shots, but I focus more on those unforgivable errors that could totally be avoided. In that category Sanchez wins. 

Yeah, I think that is the crux of it. Sanchez's errors were more horrific, and therefore appeared that he made more. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Yeah, I think that is the crux of it. Sanchez's errors were more horrific, and therefore appeared that he made more. 

And I think it must be disheartening for the other players too when they maybe have got themselves in a winning position only to concede a crazy goal. If it’s a goal where maybe the keeper was badly positioned or could have got down quicker it’s not so totally obvious on field. But sometimes it must been soul destroying with Sanchez. 

6 hours ago, exiledblue said:

If Sanchez is deemed first choice and starts we may as well pack our bags and wait for the next season.

He's looked good in pre-season, let down by the defenders on a couple of occasions.  Made a lot of excellent instinctive saves that could easily have resulted in goals.

Also, and particularly against Club America, his footwork was excellent and he looked like an extra outfield player when we were playing out from the back.

I don't get the hatred on here. 

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

And I think it must be disheartening for the other players too when they maybe have got themselves in a winning position only to concede a crazy goal. If it’s a goal where maybe the keeper was badly positioned or could have got down quicker it’s not so totally obvious on field. But sometimes it must been soul destroying with Sanchez. 

We too often played backwards last season which meant keepers were often put under pressure to play balls the defenders should have already played. I also know its the fashion to take these stupid short goal kicks where a keeper will sometimes pass it to the defender only a few feet away (or worse visa versa). It just invites unwanted pressure and sometimes the elememnt of surprise (a kick upfield) would be better

46 minutes ago, Ham said:

He's looked good in pre-season, let down by the defenders on a couple of occasions.  Made a lot of excellent instinctive saves that could easily have resulted in goals.

Also, and particularly against Club America, his footwork was excellent and he looked like an extra outfield player when we were playing out from the back.

Not sure its hatred, thats resrved for Liverpool and Spurs, but it is a feeling he is not the best solution amongst the 7 or so options.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

We too often played backwards last season which meant keepers were often put under pressure to play balls the defenders should have already played. I also know its the fashion to take these stupid short goal kicks where a keeper will sometimes pass it to the defender only a few feet away (or worse visa versa). It just invites unwanted pressure and sometimes the elememnt of surprise (a kick upfield) would be better

I couldn’t agree more

1 hour ago, Ham said:

His shot-stopping is probably the best part of his skill-sets. 

He's hesitant and changes his mind mid-action, he puts defenders on edge. I've played with keepers with the same trait and they're a nightmare to play with. Did it again in the friendly with Inter on Sunday,  but got saved by the referee given us an iffy free-kick. Started to come for a through ball, defender sees him coming and backs off a yard, then so did Sanchez - leaving the attacker free on goal. It was the keeper's ball 100 % . Saw him do it last season,  more than once and commented then also. 

Petrovic is by far the more decisive of the two 

Edited by east lower
  • Agree 3

57 minutes ago, Ham said:

No incitement to hated on CFCnet Ham ( it can get you locked up!)

It’s entirely possible that he can improve , because the mistakes he was making are all fixable. Someone tell him he’s not the secret love child of Charlie Cook and Pat Nevin, and when in doubt or under pressure, just hoof it. 
And stop making risky 30 yards balls into midfield that can be intercepted and put us in trouble. If he cuts that out he can be a decent keeper. 

30 minutes ago, east lower said:

His shot-stopping is probably the best part of his skill-sets. 

He's hesitant and changes his mind mid-action, he puts defenders on edge. I've played with keepers with the same trait and they're a nightmare to play with. Did it again in the friendly with Inter on Sunday,  but got saved by the referee given us an iffy free-kick. Started to come for a through ball, defender sees him coming and backs off a yard, then so did Sanchez - leaving the attacker free on goal. It was the keeper's ball 100 % . Saw him do it last season,  more than once and commented then also. 

Petrovic is by far the more decisive of the two 

Petrovic is atrocious at crosses. That puts the defence on edge at every set piece.  

6 minutes ago, bertles86 said:

Taylor reffing us again, Haaland fit, and we'll probably play a high line. So I'm going 1-5.

I'm hoping we'll have learnt from the pre-season game.