Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Matchday prediction  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Chelsea win
    • Draw
    • Manchester City win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/08/24 at 18:00

3 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Here’s how look at it.  So which teams are almost certainly going to finish above us this season.
Man U ? No .

Spurs ? No.

Newcastle ? No.

Villa ? No.

Liverpool ? New coach so unknown.

Arsenal? I think they may have shot their bolt last season and have no record of consistency .

So it’s City which is the only team almost certain to finish above us. I’ll take 25/1 on that. 

I’d say it’s a terrible bet. I don’t think we will score as many goals as last season, the defence may improve on last season, but early signs are not that promising.

I can’t see any logic for Arsenal dropping off. For a start they have the best defence in the league, all the options are 6ft plus units . Even the back up options of Tomaysu would have be good enough to be an option here. Calafiori and Timber strengthens them further.

Then you have guaranteed goals from Saka , Odegaard , Martinelli who barring injury will score close to 50 goals between them. That’s without Havertz , Jesus , Trossard chipping in another 20 between them, and I would be expecting another striker option to join before window closes. 

Rice took them to another level last season and he will only continue to grow in his role. 
City rightfully favourites, but it’s Arsenal’s title to lose to me. They can have no excuses this season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thiago97 said:

I’d say it’s a terrible bet. I don’t think we will score as many goals as last season, the defence may improve on last season, but early signs are not that promising.

I can’t see any logic for Arsenal dropping off. For a start they have the best defence in the league, all the options are 6ft plus units . Even the back up options of Tomaysu would have be good enough to be an option here. Calafiori and Timber strengthens them further.

Then you have guaranteed goals from Saka , Odegaard , Martinelli who barring injury will score close to 50 goals between them. That’s without Havertz , Jesus , Trossard chipping in another 20 between them, and I would be expecting another striker option to join before window closes. 

Rice took them to another level last season and he will only continue to grow in his role. 
City rightfully favourites, but it’s Arsenal’s title to lose to me. They can have no excuses this season. 

So have a tenner to blow So you’d spend it on Arsenal at 13/8 as oppose to us at 25/1? 

edit: oh and btw , Arsenal always have an excuse. Bottlers. 

Edited by NoblyBobly

4 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

So have a tenner to blow So you’d spend it on Arsenal at 13/8 as oppose to us at 25/1? 

No I wouldn’t. I would probably chuck it on Nkunku for golden boot at 50/1, if it was Chelsea related. 
It’s double the price of Chelsea winning the league, yet more likely of the two to happen. 

57 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

No I wouldn’t. I would probably chuck it on Nkunku for golden boot at 50/1, if it was Chelsea related. 
It’s double the price of Chelsea winning the league, yet more likely of the two to happen. 

Well I might bet on the golden boot too , but as far as my tenner is concerned a better bet for Chelsea act 25/1 than Arsenal at 13/8 ( if you had to make a choice). 

We’ll do well to come away with loss by less than 2 goals tomorrow. Bonus if we score.

We’re nowhere near ready for this. And to be honest, i’ve got no idea of what we might be ready for. The next 6-8 weeks could well be worse than our start last year.

edit: Pep saying he saw what we are trying to do and that it excites him just means he saw what we had planned and knew exactly how to beat us. Him liking our ideas is never a good sign. 

Edited by Bert19

4 hours ago, Thiago97 said:

If Nkunku outscores Haaland, then we may well win the league!

• Agree 1

On an early train down from Newcastle to get to the game. Won't be getting home till 1am!

Regarding the match... I'm oddly excited. I feel the number one priority is that we do not get thrashed. If we can keep it competitive and lose narrowly, it at least gives us something to build from. If we get thrashed, it's going to really amp the pressure. 

You never know though. We may raise our game and spring a surprise. If we do I'm in dreamland. 

Since my predictions are usually completely wrong I'll go with the following: Chelsea 1 - 2 Man City. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Proud-Blue said:

On an early train down from Newcastle to get to the game. Won't be getting home till 1am!

Regarding the match... I'm oddly excited. I feel the number one priority is that we do not get thrashed. If we can keep it competitive and lose narrowly, it at least gives us something to build from. If we get thrashed, it's going to really amp the pressure. 

You never know though. We may raise our game and spring a surprise. If we do I'm in dreamland. 

Since my predictions are usually completely wrong I'll go with the following: Chelsea 1 - 2 Man City. 

Worst possible outcome is a trashing. Maresca and the club will be under immense pressure. 

After this, a tricky away tie to Wolves and then Palace at the Bridge. It’s not inconceivable we are looking at 1-2 points after those three games. 

Won't be able to catch this one live unfortunately, 1:30am kick-off and I'm sorting myself for sleep, so will have to catch the replay in the morning.

Not expecting a win, but do hope we put in a respectable performance and can maybe come away with something. Won't be easy either way. 

Up the Chels! 

• Agree 1

Just now, chiswickblue said:

Injury or another attempt to push a high-earner out of the club?

It does make you wonder.  short on experience, the little bit we do have can’t even make the bench . 

Just now, JaneB said:

I don't know what I'm more worried about, this match or the reaction on here afterwards.

I won’t be watching, last full day of holiday and I may stay away from here later, if it all goes horribly wrong.

1 minute ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I won’t be watching, last full day of holiday and I may stay away from here later, if it all goes horribly wrong.

Thanks Sam 😯  (Only joking.  Have a great last day!!!)

• Haha 1

Man City XI: Ederson; Lewis, Akanji, Dias, Gvardiol; Kovacic, De Bruyne; Savinho, Silva, Doku; Haaland

Subs: Ortega, Walker, Stones, Ake, Grealish, Nunes, Foden, O'Reilly, McAtee

Boooooooooo!

Edited by Sciatika
  • Haha 1

This club has become a little like the 1987 NFL strike season. The stadium is the same, the strips are the same (well not really, but you know what I mean) but I don't really empathise with too many of the players any more.  No James, no Chilwell, no Gallagher, no Chalobah, no Thiago Silva. The owners and their flunkies are what they are, there's a new manager and we don't know what to expect on the pitch. Quite honestly I'm in two minds whether to watch the game or not. The other games in week 1 haven't produced any shocks and if we lose this we will already be 3 pts behind most of the teams we need to keep up with this season. I'm not hopeful, mainly because I don't know the players well enough to believe in their commitment to the cause.

Fingers crossed but I fear for a moral sapping loss.

6 minutes ago, JaneB said:

I don't know what I'm more worried about, this match or the reaction on here afterwards.

......and Anthony Taylor is the ref, what could possibly go wrong????