Thiago Silva

JaneB

Gutted. Still reckon with decent players around him and with proper management he could still do a job for us. Alas we are stuck with Dumber & Dumber, Sore Toe and Paper Straw legs. Floodgates will open next season.

8 minutes ago, blueboy1905 said:

Gutted. Still reckon with decent players around him and with proper management he could still do a job for us. Alas we are stuck with Dumber & Dumber, Sore Toe and Paper Straw legs. Floodgates will open next season.

Because we were watertight with or without him in it this season?

20 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Because we were watertight with or without him in it this season?

Imagine a season without him this season and relying on the central defenders we've got. Would have been more of a shit show than it currently is.

7 minutes ago, blueboy1905 said:

Imagine a season without him this season and relying on the central defenders we've got. Would have been more of a shit show than it currently is.

I am probably stubborn enough to look at the goals conceded with and without him this season. I suspect the difference either way, will be marginal. 

7 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

Such a top pro. Truly world class defender who has been superb for us. Definitely the right time for him to move on, but we have been very lucky to have him with us for four seasons.

This. 100%

What a man! One of my favourite ever players before he signed here, so to have the pleasure of him playing for the club I support has been just fantastic.

I hope he does come back in the future, the club will be richer for his return in whatever capacity it is in.

Absolute legend!

• Agree 3

Great player, wonderful man.

I just wish we could have signed off with the FA Cup, but I hope he has just enough left in his career to squeeze in a Copa Libertadores.

Will be doing a separate tribute for Belle Silva later...

57 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Once Silva departs, that will leave us with only James, Chilwell and Kepa from the Champions League winning squad. Incredible how quickly that squad got disassembled.

and Kepa hanging by a thread. Some of that is circumstance. Thiago, Azpi, Jorginho, Kante, Alonso, Kovacic were all past their prime, whilst Werner and Havertz had mixed careers, and ditto AC really. The only player who has moved on who I would be desperate to have back is Rudiger.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I remember him giving a goal away with pretty much his first touch in his first game for us. Thereafter he rarely put a foot wrong with Ashley Cole like clearances off the line, Marcel Desailly like shadowing of players out to touch and John Terry like heart and leadership on the pitch. The guy cares and we love him for it.

• Love 1

21 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I remember him giving a goal away with pretty much his first touch in his first game for us. Thereafter he rarely put a foot wrong with Ashley Cole like clearances off the line, Marcel Desailly like shadowing of players out to touch and John Terry like heart and leadership on the pitch. The guy cares and we love him for it.

He cares because he's a top professional who wouldn't dream of not giving his all, unlike some of the clowns who play for us today.

• Love 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, JaneB said:

He cares because he's a top professional who wouldn't dream of not giving his all, unlike some of the clowns who play for us today.

He deserves better than what’s around him. Way, way better. 🇧🇷🇧🇷🇧🇷💯🧡💙

• Like 1

Never forget when we signed him literally having a debate with someone who thought he would be an absolute flop, I was adamant he wouldn’t be and I’m so happy with how it turned out. Signed for one year and stayed for four, legend of the game. 

5 hours ago, JaneB said:

He had to earn his career which plays a big part in why. One of the last players in that generation, now days young players get more far earlier than they usually deserve without needing to truly graft for their place. 

• Agree 3