Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Matchday prediction  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Bournemouth win
    • Draw
    • Chelsea win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/09/24 at 18:00

3 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

At this point in time, given our injury issues I’d go with;

Sanchez

Caicedo Fofana Colwill Cucurella

Lavia

Madueke KDH Palmer Nkunku

Jackson

Cucu to tuck in at LCB and Caicedo to play the inverted RB/DM role. I would probably do this even if James is available. Fofana over Disasi only for the partnership. I prefer Disasi every day of the week but it would be too much to draft in both Caicedo and Disasi. 

You are assuming Lavia will be back - not sure about that 😞

• Agree 1

I’m not guessing the lineup yet, too long meaning too much time for more injuries to occur. At the moment I am presuming we’ll be without at least James, Gusto and Lavia and am worried Palmer may be on that list as well.

Deja vu.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Holymoly said:

And an 8pm kick off on a Saturday. Piss totally taken.

Could get a bit messy. People will have been on the sauce all day and any sniff of injustice could well set them off. 

You're right on top of the pitch at this ground also, with only a small advertising board between the fans and the pitch. 

They are a busy bunch (Bournemouth the team) and will hound us in midfield. The likely starting pairing in midfield have both been away in S. America and could be very leggy. 

Not feeling overly positive about this game, or the possible reaction if we do lose.

• Like 2

So..The PGmob having a choice of many officials can't find a balanced sharing of duties among it's storm troopers?

The EPL given a choice of KO times go for late KO's ignoring as always the needs and convenience of the game attendees.

The Euro masters decide on yet another international competition, piling more pressure on already over played players given no real break over the Summer...see Big H and Salah after a real break,

If that's not taking the piss I do not know what is.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, KingThistle said:

Anyone going? What do you think of the 8pm Saturday night kick-offs?

I’m going.

Think it’s a crock of crap, but match-going fans are the least of the PL and TV companies consideration.

Personally, I think the TV companies should subsidise travel and ticket prices for outlandish kick-off times where getting home is genuinely difficult. I’ll be driving, but won’t see home before 12am. Those coming from London and north of London a whole lot later than that.

And obviously hotel prices in Bournemouth and surrounding areas aren’t cheap. So either way it’s a pain in the derrière!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

We wear the wrong colour kit.

And we don’t moan at the right people. We need a Jose type dossier, but there’s no one with big enough balls at the club to go for it. 

We’ve become a soft touch, thinking that saying nothing and not causing any issues will help us - think again. It’s a deep-seated level of bias being dealt with.

• Agree 4

11 hours ago, east lower said:

I’m going.

Think it’s a crock of crap, but match-going fans are the least of the PL and TV companies consideration.

Personally, I think the TV companies should subsidise travel and ticket prices for outlandish kick-off times where getting home is genuinely difficult. I’ll be driving, but won’t see home before 12am. Those coming from London and north of London a whole lot later than that.

And obviously hotel prices in Bournemouth and surrounding areas aren’t cheap. So either way it’s a pain in the derrière!

Why is a Saturday 8pm kickoff frowned upon so much out of curiosity?

I ask because it's pretty common place to have sporting events take place over here at such a time, with it often deemed a "prime time" slot. 

4 hours ago, xceleryx said:

I ask because it's pretty common place to have sporting events take place over here at such a time, with it often deemed a "prime time" slot. 

I think it's the travelling all the way to Bournemouth and getting home really late that is the issue 

3 hours ago, xceleryx said:

It’s my personal opinion, some others may like it. It is ‘prime-time’, but that works for TV viewers and not necessarily for those travelling to a game. Viewed quite differently than say a big boxing event. The latter is a different case as that is viewed as much as a night out socially, as it is as attending a sporting event (again, just my take).

It's also very disruptive, in terms of the whole of a working person’s Saturday. If it were say a 3pm kick-off, most would still be able to enjoy whatever it is that floats their respective boat leisure activity wise in the evening. Night out with partner/family, sat at home with your feet up enjoying a beer/glass of something. 

There is also the custom and practice element to consider, as match going fans generally an 8pm weekend kick-off is the one that is most unusual still.

4 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think it's the travelling all the way to Bournemouth and getting home really late that is the issue 

That's fair, and sort of what I initially thought but wasn't entirely sure if there was more to it.

9 minutes ago, east lower said:

It’s my personal opinion, some others may like it. It is ‘prime-time’, but that works for TV viewers and not necessarily for those travelling to a game. Viewed quite differently than say a big boxing event. The latter is a different case as that is viewed as much as a night out socially, as it is as attending a sporting event (again, just my take).

It's also very disruptive, in terms of the whole of a working person’s Saturday. If it were say a 3pm kick-off, most would still be able to enjoy whatever it is that floats their respective boat leisure activity wise in the evening. Night out with partner/family, sat at home with your feet up enjoying a beer/glass of something. 

There is also the custom and practice element to consider, as match going fans generally an 8pm weekend kick-off is the one that is most unusual still.

The social night is kinda what I presumed football at that hour would've also been viewed as, as that's generally how sport is viewed here as a whole. You'd go to a game, be it AFL, NRL, Cricket, or whatever, then either head home or out to continue the festivities. It's very much seen as a night out either way.

See, it would be the opposite here. Something smack bang in the afternoon is probably viewed less favourably from those that have to work weekends, where as an 8pm time slot lets a lot of those folk work and then head out immediately afterwards. Maybe it also depends on which age demographic one slots into as well.

Looks to a pretty significant cultural difference, which is interesting. Appreciate the insight. 

Edited by xceleryx
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

The social night is kinda what I presumed football at that hour would've also been viewed as, as that's generally how sport is viewed here as a whole. You'd go to a game, be it AFL, NRL, Cricket, or whatever, then either head home or out to continue the festivities. It's very much seen as a night out either way.

See, it would be the opposite here. Something smack bang in the afternoon is probably viewed less favourably from those that have to work weekends, where as an 8pm time slot lets a lot of those folk work and then head out immediately afterwards. Maybe it also depends on which age demographic one slots into as well.

Looks to a pretty significant cultural difference, which is interesting. Appreciate the insight. 

Ask match-going fans what’s the next least favourite kick-off time and you’ll be looking at a late Friday evening game or the 12:30pm slot on a Saturday. Both TV based slots. 

But, that’s how PL and even Championship football is dictated to by TV companies. They call the shots, there’s some rhetoric spoken about match-going fans and how important they are, but it’s simply lip-service - there’s not much done for fans by clubs or the TV companies to show that. Quite the opposite really. It revenue that’s the number one driver and match-going fan revenues sit well behind TV and sponsorship’s.

Away fans loyalty being tested the most, via some inconsiderate scheduling. Don’t know what it’s like with away fans culture in Australia, but there’s a very deep-seated culture still in football in the UK.

I’m going to try and catch at least one top level sporting event in and around Brisbane in November. Might be able to comment better then after sampling something.

Edited by east lower
  • Like 1