Official: Chelsea sign Mykhailo Mudryk on an Eight and a Half Year Deal

JaneB

13 hours ago, Ham said:

One thing no fan can ever have an issue with is when a player is giving his all. 

Have always said as a paying customer, the one thing you can't forgive is a lack of effort.

The ability is what it is. If someone tries their hardest, there is nothing more they can do. 

• Like 1

Werner also tried hard for the most part but simply wasn't good enough. He was nowhere near the level required. Nobody here would want him back now even on a free. 

And he was significantly better for us than Mudryk has been. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/07/2024 at 20:24, Ham said:

One thing no fan can ever have an issue with is when a player is giving his all. 

Mudryk has reported back to the club 2 weeks early, foregoing a holiday, in order to try to impress Maresca. 

Say what you want about where you think his level is but he has never hidden away on the pitch, looks genuinely gutted when things don't go right and always gives everything.

I genuinely hope it works out here for him and that his confidence grows to match the obvious ability which has surfaced. 

This season will be pivotal.  

I agree with you on this one. He has talent, no doubt. He’s willing to keep his head down and do the dirty work on the training pitch. He wants to be successful. 

Couple this with his talents, I have not given up hope he will have a breakout season. In the right system, with the right backing I think he can explode. I have far more hope for him than let’s say a Sterling. 

He is a player that I want to be successful. My gripe with Poch is how he treated Mudryk. He could have had a good game only to find himself benched the next. Just look at how the opposition changes their structure once he is out on the pitch vs when he is on the bench. He is a real weapon. He needs consistency and make better decisions. If he can get that, I think he will be a proper player for us. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 18/07/2024 at 16:47, Bison said:

Werner also tried hard for the most part but simply wasn't good enough. He was nowhere near the level required. Nobody here would want him back now even on a free. 

And he was significantly better for us than Mudryk has been. 

Werner simply didn’t have the technical ability to shine here. He has pace. That’s it. Mudryk has pace and technical ability. 

Big difference imo. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

He is a player that I want to be successful. My gripe with Poch is how he treated Mudryk. He could have had a good game only to find himself benched the next. Just look at how the opposition changes their structure once he is out on the pitch vs when he is on the bench. He is a real weapon. He needs consistency and make better decisions. If he can get that, I think he will be a proper player for us. 

100% with you on this.  

Always got hooked first, had a decent game then got benched, given 15 mins when we were losing to save Poch's day.  

Really annoyed me when he publicly mentioned Mudryk's game time was due to doing what the team required of him and then Sterling was starting ahead of him every week despite having 2 good games in about 4 months.  

The one that really got me was when he hooked Mudryk first in that Leicester game when Sterling had been the worst player in the UK that day and shouldn't have been on the pitch after half-time.  How he came to that decision and subjected Mudryk to the trot round the pitch back to our dugout, I will never know

Edited by Bert19
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

32 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Werner simply didn’t have the technical ability to shine here. He has pace. That’s it. Mudryk has pace and technical ability. 

Big difference imo. 

Nothing confuses me more than the claim that Mudryk has technical ability.

He often miscontrols the ball with heavy touches, runs the ball out of play, loses possession frequently, hits the corner flag with his shots, is unable to play and receive the ball on the half-turn/back to goal under pressure etc. I can go on. He really is no better technically than Werner was.

2 hours ago, Bison said:

Nothing confuses me more than the claim that Mudryk has technical ability.

He often miscontrols the ball with heavy touches, runs the ball out of play, loses possession frequently, hits the corner flag with his shots, is unable to play and receive the ball on the half-turn/back to goal under pressure etc. I can go on. He really is no better technically than Werner was.

Normally I'm not much for highlight videos, but I think this video alone refutes your claim - 

What Mudryk is however is insanely dependent on confidence. He has issues with his consistency, and when he is poor he is really poor. But when he is good he's a proper player. 

EDIT: but that neck tattoo... Yikes.

Edited by Sleeping Dave
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Normally I'm not much for highlight videos, but I think this video alone refutes your claim - 

What Mudryk is however is insanely dependent on confidence. He has issues with his consistency, and when he is poor he is really poor. But when he is good he's a proper player. 

EDIT: but that neck tattoo... Yikes.

Should have had 6 Chelsea assists there.

Not his fault that.  

• Agree 2

Mudryk plays football like I type work emails with someone over my shoulder. I think you can see enough in clips and moments that he has technical ability, and he is clearly a natural athlete and a hardworker. I've said this before, but that it does seem a fact that clubs with clear strategies and quality scouting were tracking him (Brentford at one point, Arsenal when he moved beyond their reach) and I think that tells you this is not an error of football judgement.

I just don't think he can do it when the pressure is on and anyone is watching. Some people get over stage fright. Some people don't. I don't know what clubs look into to consider how players will adapt in this sense.

Edited by thevelourfog
  • Like 1

He's very much a rabbit in the headlights. Genuinely produced some of the worst footballing moments I've seen in a Chelsea shirt. You're happy and applaud him for just controlling the ball it's got to that stage.

17 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Mudryk plays football like I type work emails with someone over my shoulder. I think you can see enough in clips and moments that he has technical ability, and he is clearly a natural athlete and a hardworker. I've said this before, but that it does seem a fact that clubs with clear strategies and quality scouting were tracking him (Brentford at one point, Arsenal when he moved beyond their reach) and I think that tells you this is not an error of football judgement.

I just don't think he can do it when the pressure is on and anyone is watching. Some people get over stage fright. Some people don't. I don't know what clubs look into to consider how players will adapt in this sense.

He's erratic but genuinely had some exciting qualities that make him a bit of an "x-factor" when it clicks. Like, he troubled a Real Madrid side prior to joining which isn't an easy feat. 

Wouldn't say it's the pressure, more just that the leap from where he was to a club like ours, that's also gone through the wringer in that same period, hasn't helped him settle. People also forget he's also not played a lot of football for his age. 

This season is big one for him but he's also the sort of player that I'd persevere with for a few more years yet. 

12 hours ago, xceleryx said:

He's erratic but genuinely had some exciting qualities that make him a bit of an "x-factor" when it clicks. Like, he troubled a Real Madrid side prior to joining which isn't an easy feat. 

Wouldn't say it's the pressure, more just that the leap from where he was to a club like ours, that's also gone through the wringer in that same period, hasn't helped him settle. People also forget he's also not played a lot of football for his age. 

This season is big one for him but he's also the sort of player that I'd persevere with for a few more years yet. 

Resilience is an incredibly important feature in deciding how successful a player will be. Mudryk is, to me, the perfect example of a resilient player. 

One would do well to remember that his family is still in Ukraine. I can only imagine how that will f*ck up your mental health knowing that immediate family members are trapped in a country of war. I think the lad will come good. I really do. He wants it badly. He shows how badly he wants it. 

I think Maresca will see him through this. His style of play should be very well suited to the football we theoretically should be playing. Perhaps I'm going to look incredibly ridiculous saying this, but the two players I think will thrive under Maresca is Madueke and Mudryk. 

• Agree 2

29 minutes ago, Bison said:

Screenshot_20240823_015214_X.thumb.jpg.c681a0c75c932ce8e4a31a0702e596ae.jpg

Utter charity case. The charade continues. 😂

Complains when players aren't coached, complains when they are.

I presume the only acceptable middle ground here is players coaching themselves.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Coach coaches player shock.

We'd be better off investing the minutes and 'coaching' on somebody like Tyriqie George.

Talking about a 23 year old who cost 60m like he's an inexperienced teenager playing his first minutes at the top level is funny. 

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

I presume the only acceptable middle ground here is players coaching themselves.

Tall order for Diet Pep to coach up and improve the worst player in the squad. 

Is there any other club operating at this level wasting time trying to teach a 23 year old how to perform basic football actions that academy players have down pact by the time they're 16?

5 minutes ago, Bison said:

We'd be better off investing the minutes and 'coaching' on somebody like Tyriqie George.

Talking about a 23 year old who cost 60m like he's an inexperienced teenager playing his first minutes at the top level is funny. 

Is there any other club operating at this level wasting time trying to teach a 23 year old how to perform basic football actions that academy players have down pact by the time they're 16?

https://x.com

/ammandev/status/1826902906433327277

Edited by Mark Kelly
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bison said:

Maybe it’s because the people paid, trained and experienced in spotting talent and coaching professional players (who probably know more about all that than most of us) believe they can genuinely see the talent in him, but realise he needs help in reaching that potential and understanding what he needs to be doing at this level to make the impact, they believe he can.

I’m not saying that’s the right or wrong thing to do, but I have to believe that they have what they believe to be good reasons to still be investing time in Mudryk. It may turn out to be pointless and he may not get there, but enough people obviously believe he has something worth working for.

Or it’s all being demanded from those above. Maybe, it’s an option, seems less likely to me, but I won’t say it definitely isn’t that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, xceleryx said:

The whole “Poch didn’t coach the players” bs is laughable. Does anyone really think a first team coach who doesn’t coach his team would;

1. Have taken us to sixth

2. Stayed for a full season

No and no is the answers. 

16 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

The whole “Poch didn’t coach the players” bs is laughable. Does anyone really think a first team coach who doesn’t coach his team would;

1. Have taken us to sixth

2. Stayed for a full season

No and no is the answers. s

The question isn't so much whether he coached the players or not...it's  how effective was the coaching..that is another debate closer to your post.

#1,,,, Because of Poch or in spite of Poch?

#2,,, Why move until it suits Poch,?

Just saying ..not making a statement,

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, chara said:

The question isn't so much whether he coached the players or not...it's  how effective was the coaching..that is another debate closer to your post.

#1,,,, Because of Poch or in spite of Poch?

#2,,, Why move until it suits Poch,?

Just saying ..not making a statement,

Last season was the first one in a while we showed clear progress. I think most fans would agree with that. Of course there are a few who decided very early Poch wasn’t for them, and it wouldn’t have mattered what he did to turn them around. 

Number two I don’t understand? Poch wouldn’t have lasted the full season if he coached the team so badly (or didn’t coach them at all). The club would have sacked him. I don’t think the club sacked him when it suited Poch. They sacked him because they most likely didn’t agree on how to progress forward. Of course I’m speculating, but if they sacked him for lack of results Maresca is under immense pressure. Not only must he do well in the cups, he must also show clear progress on last season. Despite all the ridicule Poch received, I don’t think that will be an easy task for any manager. 

4 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Last season was the first one in a while we showed clear progress. I think most fans would agree with that. Of course there are a few who decided very early Poch wasn’t for them, and it wouldn’t have mattered what he did to turn them around. 

Number two I don’t understand? Poch wouldn’t have lasted the full season if he coached the team so badly (or didn’t coach them at all). The club would have sacked him. I don’t think the club sacked him when it suited Poch. They sacked him because they most likely didn’t agree on how to progress forward. Of course I’m speculating, but if they sacked him for lack of results Maresca is under immense pressure. Not only must he do well in the cups, he must also show clear progress on last season. Despite all the ridicule Poch received, I don’t think that will be an easy task for any manager. 

Certainly won’t be with the cards being dealt and the metaphorical shackles he may be have on.

And, that’s spoken as one who believed (and still does) that the last coach is mediocre at best and a serial loser.