Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Matchday prediction  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Chelsea win
    • Draw
    • Nottingham Forest win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/10/24 at 12:00

57 minutes ago, east lower said:

When the referee does it that late, it’s for crowd appeasement purposes and the masses fall for it. It also wastes another 20-30 seconds whilst they note the booking etc. 

But, they won’t book the keepers earlier as it might give the referee a tough decision later on, and that’s the rub. Too cowardly to do the right thing. I’d include our own team in that as all teams do it when it’s convenient. But we would probably be the first team to suffer, if there was a clampdown. 

As soon as Forest scored, the change in tactics were obvious. They were not ‘getting on with it’ beforehand and afterwards it was painful to watch and see how easy it is to con this set of referees. 

Down for over a minute, automatic sub. Down and stopping normal play, with no trainer required - off the pitch returning in 1 minute.

That might keep some flow. As soon as we upped the tempo yesterday, Forest players did all they could to break up that rhythm. They’re not alone in doing it, Arsenal have been masters at it for many years.

Yes, to all this.

The extra time added on yesterday was fine, but they didn’t then add on anymore for all the continued time wasting that happened during the added on time.

• Agree 1

I think if we had more defensive solidity then further up the pitch would be able to let those niggly challenges go, where the time wasting oppo will invariably go down and spend a minute pulling their socks up. At the moment too much risk that the oppo will waltz through our midfield and defence so we can't risk it. I'm always shouting at the tv, don't give away a foul when we are in the attacking 3rd chasing a goal. But I guess it's easier to say when you can see the whole pitch on screen and aren't under pressure on the pitch

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, east lower said:

Fernandez was a complete passenger as soon the tempo of the game increased and Forest decided that attacking us was a good idea. I.e for the whole of the second-half. 

Caicedo drove us forward constantly in the second half. 

But, like you my feelings are that there’s one, very unjustified name on the team sheet after Palmer. 

Standard Enzo performance then eh. 

• Agree 2

38 minutes ago, Bison said:

Standard Enzo performance then eh. 

Sadly, yes. And more the norm, than not. Jorginho was a far better footballer that Fernandez is. Compare the two as they are similar athletes. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, east lower said:

Sadly, yes. And more the norm, than not. Jorginho was a far better footballer that Fernandez is. Compare the two as they are similar athletes. 

Jorginho wasn’t exactly an elite athlete but he’s peak Michael Phelps, Mike Tyson and Michael Jordan compared to Teddy Bear Legs Wasteman Fernandez imo 🧸 🇦🇷💩

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Siidi said:

No matter what others think I always maintain there is a decent winger in  Mudryk. If I were coaching him I would advise him to cut out the complex dribbling which as we know is overrated in the modern game. 9 out of 10 times you either lose the ball or you end up dribbling your own teammates, and still lose the ball.

Mudryk should perfect beating the offside trap from the shoulder of the fullback and polishing up his crosses - low, high, short, long, etc. He did just that yesterday, and I count that as an assist missed by João Felix. 

9 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

He drives me mad because like you I'm still  convinced there's a good player there.

7 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Me three.

Me four.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, east lower said:

I wouldn't say far better footballer overall, I'd say Jorginho excels at a couple of things Enzo struggles with badly.

The main one being Jorginho is better at the base of midfield, particularly in the short build up game and connecting back to front. Enzo just doesn't make himself available in the same way, and doesn't really hold his position well. 

They are both terrible athletes and are food for the opposition out of possession. But even then I feel Jorginho pressed better than Enzo does. Different managers, tactics and teammates etc. so it's hard to judge but  I don't think I saw Jorginho be as worthless out of possession as often as Enzo is if that makes sense.

• Agree 2

49 minutes ago, Ham said:

Me four.  

Mudryk needs to play RWB for a club team/manager that uses the role. Just let him run  in a straight line to the byline and make crosses, rinse and repeat. That's exactly what he did for the Nkunku chance yesterday. 

There really isn't a player there. The sample size is big enough to know exactly what we're dealing with now, whether or not people want to accept that. He's 24 soon, this isn't an 18 year old footballer breaking into the men's game. 

He's very fast running in a straight line. It's the only thing he can do well consistently. But he's too busy pretending to be Neymar and he's been empowered to do so, to his own detriment. 

34 minutes ago, Bison said:

I wouldn't say far better footballer overall, I'd say Jorginho excels at a couple of things Enzo struggles with badly.

The main one being Jorginho is better at the base of midfield, particularly in the short build up game and connecting back to front. Enzo just doesn't make himself available in the same way, and doesn't really hold his position well. 

They are both terrible athletes and are food for the opposition out of possession. But even then I feel Jorginho pressed better than Enzo does. Different managers, tactics and teammates etc. so it's hard to judge but  I don't think I saw Jorginho be as worthless out of possession as often as Enzo is if that makes sense.

Certainly smarter and more intelligent. Knew his limitations and understood his strengths, honing his game to exploit the latter and lessen the effect of the former.

To my way of thinking that makes a Jorginho a better player than perhaps someone of greater talent, who doesn’t understand his limitations. 

• Like 2

On 06/10/2024 at 22:53, Siidi said:

Chukwuemeka hasn't looked bad the odd occasions he's played. I really like the intensity and directness that Lavia brings. With him and Caicedo there's more grit to our midfield. But I just get this feeling that as long as Enzo is around, he'd be chosen, no matter how poorly he plays. 

Unfortunately, Caicedo was even worse:

•    Long balls (acc.) 3 (0)
    •    Ground duels (won) 8 (3)
    •    Possession lost 10

At the start, Enzo and Sancho were getting in each other’s way a bit. Seemed awkward.

Not sure what to think about the Lavia hype all the time. He needs to show he can play more than just a few games a season before being properly assessed. Anyway, defense wasn’t the problem. It was more about creating enough good chances, where Enzo can be of more help.

Was a tough game to watch.

Edited by mora

I wonder what the most consecutive league starts Mudryk has made for us? I'd be surprised if it's more than half a dozen and that might be half the problem with him. More so than any other player,  his place in the team  always seems to be under the microscope, always under pressure to produce moments of magic or face being benched again. That can't be good for his confidence, and could be leading to him feeling tension on the pitch instead of feeling confident and relaxed.

9 minutes ago, mora said:

Anyway, defense wasn’t the problem. It was more about creating enough good chances, where Enzo can be of more help.

For me, that's the big issue with Enzo. I could accept his physical shortcomings if he scored and created more goals. Sadly, what we have is a talented but very physically limited player who's negatives outweigh his positives.

The attack as whole though suffers when Palmer isn't at the top of his game. 

4 hours ago, Bison said:

Missed the game so have only seen the highlights. Forest are hard to beat so not surprised at the result.

Hudson-Odoi played a blinder by the way, I know that'll interest you to hear. /s

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bison said:

Mudryk needs to play RWB for a club team/manager that uses the role. Just let him run  in a straight line to the byline and make crosses, rinse and repeat. That's exactly what he did for the Nkunku chance yesterday. 

There really isn't a player there. The sample size is big enough to know exactly what we're dealing with now, whether or not people want to accept that. He's 24 soon, this isn't an 18 year old footballer breaking into the men's game. 

He's very fast running in a straight line. It's the only thing he can do well consistently. But he's too busy pretending to be Neymar and he's been empowered to do so, to his own detriment. 

There is nothing to suggest playing him at RWB would have any real positives, similar to Sterling, Hudson-Odoi and Pulisic who also ended up playing WB roles at some point and largely floundered. 

His age is less of an issue when the rest of the squad around him is as young as it is in surrounding positions. Sure, he's undercooked relatively speaking for a player his age but this was also common knowledge before he even signed. He's shown enough over his overall sample size to indicate he can be a contributing player in some manner. It may not be as a bonafide starting winger, but certainly has the general tools to be an impact option of some measure - as he's shown. He just needs to do this consistently.

No surprise you're blinded to what other things Mudryk can provide. He's actually a decent crosser and his passing as a playmaker is somewhat underrated. His role here however is very different to what he played at Shakthar and with the NT. We play him more as an out and out wide man that hugs the sideline, where as previously he was used more as a playmaker focal point that could drift centrally and create, 

Either way, he had a good cameo. 

37 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

For me, that's the big issue with Enzo. I could accept his physical shortcomings if he scored and created more goals. Sadly, what we have is a talented but very physically limited player who's negatives outweigh his positives.

The attack as whole though suffers when Palmer isn't at the top of his game. 

There's a clip on YT that showcases all the wasted opportunities Enzo has created since joining, if we finished our chances better in those instances he's production would look more satisfying. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Hudson-Odoi played a blinder by the way, I know that'll interest you to hear. /s

Clearly heavy sarcasm here as he was absolutely invisible and was then hooked.  

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

We give up too many good chances for me to ever be confident about winning a league game. That said, we are also far from the only team which does that these days, even City do it. Liverpool are the only team looking solid with   two goals conceded so far and if they keep being that tight they'll be certs for the league.

Shocked that they have only conceded 2. Based on bits of their matches I have watched they haven't looked perfect back there (especially last game vs Palace).

On 04/10/2024 at 10:34, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Buzzing to be going to this game, I am absolutely infatuated with Palmer at the moment. Over the years "going to the game" has always been about the travel routine, the atmosphere and winning the game for me.

But this time. It's all about Palmer, I want to see magic from him.

So I got what I wanted (just a shame he didn't score):

23 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Shocked that they have only conceded 2. Based on bits of their matches I have watched they haven't looked perfect back there (especially last game vs Palace).

They've had a pretty gentle start to the season I'm fairly sure, something like not having played any team 10th or higher or along those lines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

They've had a pretty gentle start to the season I'm fairly sure, something like not having played any team 10th or higher or along those lines.

Apart from Forest at 10th. They lost at home to them. On the other hand, at Anfield I expect them to have the backing of the officials.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Apart from Forest at 10th. They lost at home to them. On the other hand, at Anfield I expect them to have the backing of the officials.

And the commentary team , and the studio team and the Premier League. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1