Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Matchday prediction  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Chelsea win
    • Draw
    • Nottingham Forest win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/10/24 at 12:00

Fear play to Sanchez, he made some great saves and not off chances created from his own cock ups. One good show doesn't make up for every bad one at GK, how many clanger games per season are acceptable for where we are trying to be? 3? 4?

Was a tale of the 2 keepers in the end, but questions raised how we gave away so many chances yet again

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Frustrating result against a horrible bunch of time wasting, playing acting crunts  Should have won but could also have lost this, so overall i'll settle for a point. Lads gave it everything  and I never ask for more than that. I  like Enzo's passion on the touchline too.

Good thing is we haven't lost any ground on the teams we are competing with. Negatives. We cannot keep  clean sheets and cannot expect us to score 3 or 4 every game, so we are going to continue to drop some points against teams we should be beating.

We are very much a chasing pack team at the moment and I'm ok with that. But if we are to ever get back amongst the top three and be serious challenges again, we will simply need more players who have a higher level of  rapid passing ability in tight spaces  in the final third to open up these low block teams, like City have been doing for years. Jackson. Madueke. Neto. Mudryk. Sancho are a lot  better on the counter than they are at opening up teams with sharp passing in and around the box. I don't think any of them are title challenging level players tbh, though Madueke might become one of he can become more consistent. 

I don’t think Jackson and Mudryk are in the running for permanent first team choice. Our chase for Osimen highlighted that. 
Enzo will split opinions on here, and both opinions have validation. But he should never be automatic first choice. He’s a bit like the bad points of Jorginho for me. Great if given time, but bad if pressured. Not sure how much game time J  is being given at Arsenal but I don’t hear much about him. The Dippers game without Cucu inverting to help out is a big worry.  Need to appeal that joke of a yellow. 

Tale of two keepers indeed...as I mentioned earlier but absolutely disgusted at the Forest keeper Sels "KO" performance,,,acted as if in serious trouble ..boy called wolf syndrome... makes a mockery of the concussion protocol ...Ref should have booked him as soon as it became clear he was playacting...disgraceful...and Cucu gets booked for taking exception to being kicked/tripped into the sideline occupants.

It's not the missed ref decisions alone that are cause for alarm..very well paid to do a hard job but make no mistake, the player reactions from the official's bad decisions filters down to grass roots level and makes it harder for dedicated "for the game" refs to do their job.

• Agree 2

Bit disappointed actually. Thought we had the chances to win it, but just weren’t clinical enough. That was enough to give them hope and in the end we had to rely on Sanchez to pull off a couple of great saves to stop us from losing.

Thought Mudryk had a good cameo and took on his man in a way that Sancho seemed reluctant to. Jackson wasn’t really involved. Think he’s pretty ineffective in games where we’re up against a low block. Madueke looked dangerous but needed several efforts before finally getting a shot low and on target. Credit to him for persevering. Palmer had a couple of moments but was unlucky. 

But, man, those Felix and Nkunku headers should’ve been converted. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I don’t think Jackson and Mudryk are in the running for permanent first team choice. Our chase for Osimen highlighted that. 
Enzo will split opinions on here, and both opinions have validation. But he should never be automatic first choice. He’s a bit like the bad points of Jorginho for me. Great if given time, but bad if pressured. Not sure how much game time J  is being given at Arsenal but I don’t hear much about him. The Dippers game without Cucu inverting to help out is a big worry.  Need to appeal that joke of a yellow. 

If a hardworking but defensive and moderate team like Forest can create clear chances against us, then I shudder at what Liverpool will do to us if they hit top form.  I think our only chance will be to try and take the game to them. It'll leave us more open and in danger of a right tanking, but we don't have the ability to try and contain them and will lose heavily if we try, so best go out and try and score 3 +.

City game apart, we've had an easy a start as could we wish for and done ok. The next month or so will tell us if we've made the progress many on here think we've made. Imho, we still look like the team at the back end of last season, one which is in the chasing pack of Spurs, Villa, Utd and  Newcastle, though I'd pick Villa and Spurs as the top two from that group.

Edited by boratsbrother

I really want him to succeed, but today I thought Enzo was below par. Lost individual battles, no urgency, two horrendous corners around 62nd and 65mins. And it all seems to be pointing to attitude. Not writing him off or anything, just realistically analysing today's performance.

• Like 1

Two routine headers that could have won us the match, one off target, the other straight at the keeper, and this was from our second striker. 

We need a striker, a replacement for Enzo, and a replacement for Robert Sanchez. For now, we can say we're doing okay. 

• Agree 1

Irritating to not win that. We threw everything at it at the end and deserved to win.

Refs need to clamp down on time wasting. Had enough of it. Players and goalkeepers need 2nd yellow sending offs for it. Good teams shouldn't be punished for being good. 

Luckily other results have gone our way to keep us 4th. 

Edited by CarefreeMuratcan
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Siidi said:

Two routine headers that could have won us the match, one off target, the other straight at the keeper, and this was from our second striker. 

We need a striker, a replacement for Enzo, and a replacement for Robert Sanchez. For now, we can say we're doing okay. 

Agree on the striker and GK, but not on the midfielder. I think we already own players more suited to a PL midfield, but they are playing for Southampton and Strasbourg this season. One of those alongside Lavia or Caicedo would give us much more presence and help prevent Caicedo being isolated on so many counters.

Also I'd much rather see Chukwuemeka coming on when we need a goal, rather than the Jorge Mendes Vanity Project.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

The refs need to understand when the lesser team stops playing football, time wastes etc. and to not reward them for it. At the moment teams that don't turn up to play football are rewarded. 

I'm on holiday and couldn't find a stream or a pub showing the game, and was aware of Forest's time-wasting tactics from the comments on here. The ref added 14 minutes in the second half alone which suggests he didn't reward them for wasting time, but were those extra minutes just for injuries/ subs/ the red card and the bust-up? Or did Forest actually get away with their blatant time-wasting, for which the ref failed to add on the proper time?

I've always argued that refs should have the time-keeping part of their duties taken off them and given to an official time keeper, as happens in NFL and the NBA. They are bad enough at decision-making and enforcing the rules without having to accurately judge the length of stoppages.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

Agree on the striker and GK, but not on the midfielder. I think we already own players more suited to a PL midfield, but they are playing for Southampton and Strasbourg this season. One of those alongside Lavia or Caicedo would give us much more presence and help prevent Caicedo being isolated on so many counters.

Also I'd much rather see Chukwuemeka coming on when we need a goal, rather than the Jorge Mendes Vanity Project.

Chukwuemeka hasn't looked bad the odd occasions he's played. I really like the intensity and directness that Lavia brings. With him and Caicedo there's more grit to our midfield. But I just get this feeling that as long as Enzo is around, he'd be chosen, no matter how poorly he plays. 

15 minutes ago, Bones said:

I agree with time wasting,  but we had 13mins added on. I was positively suprised with that. Not sure what else ref could have done.

Agree, the refs hands are a bit tied by the rules. He did what he could do by adding a lot of injury time. I can only think of refs being given more powers to book players for time wasting and start doing it early in games as a warning of what's to come if they carry on.  Still, we didn't draw this game because of the ref or time wasting.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Siidi said:

Chukwuemeka hasn't looked bad the odd occasions he's played. I really like the intensity and directness that Lavia brings. With him and Caicedo there's more grit to our midfield. But I just get this feeling that as long as Enzo is around, he'd be chosen, no matter how poorly he plays. 

I think Chuck deserves more game time than he's getting. 

No way would I start Enzo away to Liverpool. I see us being over run if we do. Lavia must start imo.

I'd also give Mudryk a start in that game. Thought he looked pretty sharp today. Also good to see Enzo hasn' t frozen him out as it sounded like he was going to a while ago. 

A frustrating result, although the performance wasn't too bad.

If we want one positive, this is a fixture we lost last year. I know that doesn't change the fact that we should really have got 3 points, but I do think that is a small sign of progress nonetheless.

We're sitting in fourth at the moment before this international break. I think the vast majority of us would have taken that. The challenge now will be holding that position given some really tough fixtures coming up.

I see this much like the Palace result: an inconvenience but not a catastrophe. 

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Bones said:

I agree with time wasting,  but we had 13mins added on. I was positively suprised with that. Not sure what else ref could have done.

Beyond the time wasting, my concern is that attacking momentum is allowed to be broken up as well by not returning the ball to play quickly enough. The symbolic yellow card for a goalkeeper time wasting needs to be followed up with a second yellow and not only done for show. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tunaboss said:

That Spurs turnaround has perked me right up. Maybe it's all going to be okay?

I think top four is still up for grabs, we’re dropping too many points at home granted, but look at the sides around us, they look like nothing special. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Beyond the time wasting, my concern is that attacking momentum is allowed to be broken up as well by not returning the ball to play quickly enough. The symbolic yellow card for a goalkeeper time wasting needs to be followed up with a second yellow and not only done for show. 

And it also needs to happen well before sometime after 80 minutes generally. 

But that takes bravery and ownership of the issue and NONE of the referees have any of those qualities.

• Agree 2