Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Matchday prediction  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Liverpool win
    • Draw
    • Chelsea win

1 minute ago, Super Kenny Monkou said:

Yes but isn’t a little worrying we are just to young and some more experienced heads would help us move forward quicker.

Yeah, today was a great example of when you want those experienced heads. However, the owners and sporting directors are obviously playing a longer game than us fans would ideally want. Progress is there, but you’re right that experience would help, I’ve been calling for it for at least 2 years now.

12 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I just wish the club would accept Sanchez is not a number 1 and go and find a proper quality goalkeeper, it would make such a difference to this side.

Still, I’m taking the positives and for me, I see a lot of progress from what is still a very young side.

The joker who signed Sanchez for £25m is now the club's head of global goalkeeping. You can't replace Sanchez and keep somebody like that in their job. 

• Agree 2

Thought our performance was similar to a wet fart in a swimming pool. Let's face it, we have no leaders, no characters, just a load of X-Box footballers who look pretty on the ball but against the Top teams fail to produce. To be expected when you have a bunch of young players  vs an experienced team.

We lose today not because we are a worse team, but because our defense is not up to scratch with the quality we have in other areas of the pitch. 

Getting in a top quality CB is an absolute must next summer. 

Neto was wasteful. Fernandez almost comically bad. But the worst entity on the pitch was the ref. My god, he was bloody awful. 

• Agree 3

Same old song i'm afraid.

Keeper who isn't good enough.

No combination of any defenders in our squad is anywhere near good enough.

Without an on song Palmer we look pretty average in the oppositions half.

At the moment we have too many players who's average is between 5 - 6.

Can't step up the gears in big games.

Overall, we still very much looking what we are - one of the bunch of ok teams chasing the minor Euro places. Can this manager and group of players take us title challengers?  I don't think so tbh.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

We lose today not because we are a worse team, but because our defense is not up to scratch with the quality we have in other areas of the pitch. 

Getting in a top quality CB is an absolute must next summer. 

Neto was wasteful. Fernandez almost comically bad. But the worst entity on the pitch was the ref. My god, he was bloody awful. 

Well, if you take a keeper and four defenders, that's half a team which is not up to scratch.  Imo, we still look miles away from being where we want to be and it's going to take at least another two years and numerous more successful signings before we change that  

Unfortunately missed the game due to a last minute urgent (not emergency) errand,,,

Was it the inevitable Anfield penalty to get the "lads" settled? (Think that is a PMmob standing instruction )

How did Reece look fitness wise ?

Need to go back and follow the thread but just got in.

1 minute ago, boratsbrother said:

Well, if you take a keeper and four defenders, that's half a team which is not up to scratch.  Imo, we still look miles away from being where we want to be and it's going to take at least another two years and numerous more successful signings before we change that  

I disagree. We just need a proper top class CB and striker. 

Oh, and a manager who doesn’t feel the weight of Fernandez on his shoulders. 

6 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I disagree. We just need a proper top class CB and striker. 

Oh, and a manager who doesn’t feel the weight of Fernandez on his shoulders. 

I'd much prefer two good centre backs than one top class one personally. We 100% need to change keeper too imo.

18 minutes ago, chara said:

Unfortunately missed the game due to a last minute urgent (not emergency) errand,,,

Was it the inevitable Anfield penalty to get the "lads" settled? (Think that is a PMmob standing instruction )

How did Reece look fitness wise ?

Need to go back and follow the thread but just got in.

James did alright considering the lack of football, but definitely looked slower to me, although he may just be managing his body differently. Came through it without issue, which is a big plus! 

• Thanks 1

In the second half of last season our points total was one fewer than Loverpool's.  After only 8 games of this season we are already 7 points worse off than Liverpool. At this rate we'll finish well above 20 points below them. Furthermore, unlike last season, we don't have a dozen players waiting to comeback from injuries. How on earth is this progress some of you  are claiming it to be?

I hope I'm very wrong, but I just can't see much scope for improvement from this squad this season. I'll be happy with Europa League qualification.

Edited by boratsbrother

4 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

In the second half of last season our points total was one fewer than Loverpool's.  After only 8 games of this season we are already 7 points worse off than Liverpool. At this rate we'll finish well above 20 points below them. Furthermore, unlike last season, we don't have a dozen players waiting to comeback from injuries. How on earth is this progress some of you  are claiming it to be?

I hope I'm very wrong, but I just can't see much scope for improvement from this squad this season. I'll be happy with Europa League qualification.

Some bizarre logic going on there.

Liverpool have won 7/8. 

We can't control what other teams get (bar 2 games a season)

• Like 1

What is funny is that everywhere I look (BBC mostly) I see people praising the ref.

What summed up for me was a blatant foul on Gusto by MacAllister around 80th min. Clear yellow, just took him out, not even a foul! Anfield went fully silent, they could not believe their luck that even a foul was not given.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Some bizarre logic going on there.

Liverpool have won 7/8. 

We can't control what other teams get (bar 2 games a season)

Statistical facts, not logic!

We were able to keep pace with this same Liverpool team for the second half of a season. They haven't even hit top form yet this season, but are already well ahead of us.

Please tell me where we have improved this season because I don't see one % improvement in any area of our team. Exactly the same glaring faults as last season. Also noticeable that against the two top teams we have faced this season we've played it boringly safe instead of going gung-ho at them, which is what we needed to do to get a result today. I certainly don't put all our problems on the shoulders of our manager, but i put today's safety first display down to his instructions, because he should know by now that he doesn't have the players who can play it safe.

14 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Statistical facts, not logic!

We were able to keep pace with this same Liverpool team for the second half of a season. They haven't even hit top form yet this season, but are already well ahead of us.

Please tell me where we have improved this season because I don't see one % improvement in any area of our team. Exactly the same glaring faults as last season. Also noticeable that against the two top teams we have faced this season we've played it boringly safe instead of going gung-ho at them, which is what we needed to do to get a result today. I certainly don't put all our problems on the shoulders of our manager, but i put today's safety first display down to his instructions, because he should know by now that he doesn't have the players who can play it safe.

So let me give you some positives that you are failing to observe. We had more of the attacking play and we had more possession ( those are the stats). But we weren’t gung ho. We had similar chances on goal. They were very organised defensively ( as you would expect from a top of table team) . So far this season they that had only conceded two goals. This is a well oiled , oven ready team . They are third oldest in the prem and we are the youngest. That is what their coach inherited. Ours did not. Maresco inherited a project. We have lost to city and pool so far and that is by very narrow margins. 
James is back, Lavia looks excellent in place of Enzo, Caicedo was amazing. 
Im sure you’re not writing off Arsenal for losing to Bournemouth the same as you didn’t write Liverpool off for losing to Forest. Why you want to write us off as a top 4 contender is very curious to me. If you see no improvement so far on last season then that is your opinion. My opinion is that we are very very close to being an excellent team. Not yet there yet of course, but closer than you think. 

• Like 2

I'd take 2-1 against a Liverpool team with the majority in their prime having worked together for many years. We looked immature... And dodgy at the back. Snippy at the front.

Need to stop these stupid yellow cards and defensive errors.

My Liverpool mate was really worried about this game. It was either going to be a 6 goal bonanza or a mature Dippers team proving a point against a very good, very young Chelsea.

This is fine. Next games will determine whether we should worry or not.

22 minutes ago, johnnybozo said:

I'd take 2-1 against a Liverpool team with the majority in their prime having worked together for many years. We looked immature... And dodgy at the back. Snippy at the front.

Need to stop these stupid yellow cards and defensive errors.

My Liverpool mate was really worried about this game. It was either going to be a 6 goal bonanza or a mature Dippers team proving a point against a very good, very young Chelsea.

This is fine. Next games will determine whether we should worry or not.

I have a Liverpool mate ( just the one) who admitted he was emotionally shattered after the game. He said it was an emotional rollercoaster and said how deep Liverpool had to dig to win the game. No surprise he thought the ref was biased against them!! Jeez. 
Sometimes an oppos thoughts are more interesting than our own gravediggers. Considering our completely rejigged back four I’m happy with this performance. Hated the result obviously but no massive surprise. 

• Like 2

Neto should not be getting game time ahead of Mudryk or any other player for that matter! He's had a an appallingly bad start in the league games and needs to be dropped from the squad for a while. Let him play the Cup games by all means in the hope he can rebuild some confidence. 

Also, two poor games in a row from Palmer and only one point from those games.  We'd be absolutely screwed if he were to pick up an injury which kept him out for a few months.