JaneB
Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Matchday prediction  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Liverpool win
    • Draw
    • Chelsea win

Missed the game due to a family commitment. Maybe it was just as well.

I thought we might struggle without both Cucurella and Fofana at the back. Surprised to read that James started in such a high pressure game. Beforehand I’d have been happy with a draw but we’d need to be at our best and with probably a full strength side and Palmer at his best to get anything.

Difficult place to go to especially if it seems that the ref was easily swayed by the crowd. At least it sounds like we competed but it’s disappointing that Sanchez appears to be at fault again. He’s kept us in some games this season as well as messing up in others. How were Madueke and Sancho? 

I don't really get  the logic of comparing the early part of Maresca's first. season against  the closing part of Pochettino's  Sounds like people picking and choosing which data looks good for their argument. 

I went need 

Edited by Siidi

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

The guy on the bench?

Who came on at 2-1

Yes, the guy who has played 87% of the PL minutes he’s been available for this season. That guy. The guy who’s been generally pretty fucking shit for the best part of the last 12 months. 

5 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

If the Jones penalty that was given is a pen, so is the one on Sancho. But to be fair to VAR, without it today we’d been mauled. 3-0 loss? 

For once, we got the better deal out of it. But the ref was atrocious out on the pitch. How can he get so many key decisions wrong? 

• Like 1

Bit late, no signal and no wi-fi - so belatedly:

Even game, first 20 minutes we quietened the crowd, but then they kept the ball for 5 minutes and we lost control of the game for the next 20 mins. 

They too their chance, we missed or they blocked ours. Fine margins, we lost purpose and the ability to move the ball forwards as soon as Fernandez came in. Understand the theory in Maresca’s subs, but this time they made us worse - Neto excluded. 

IMG_1538.jpeg

IMG_1537.jpeg

• Like 1

We lost fair and square, but we gave as good as we got and could certainly have taken a point. If you compare that to the absolute horror show that was this corresponding fixture last season, it is clear to see we have made a fair amount of progress. Last year’s game was one of the lowest points in the last 20 years in terms of our performance - a proper mauling. We have much to learn and improve on, but we are pointed the right way.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

I have a Liverpool mate ( just the one) who admitted he was emotionally shattered after the game. He said it was an emotional rollercoaster and said how deep Liverpool had to dig to win the game. No surprise he thought the ref was biased against them!! Jeez. 
Sometimes an oppos thoughts are more interesting than our own gravediggers. Considering our completely rejigged back four I’m happy with this performance. Hated the result obviously but no massive surprise. 

Are you sure your mate is not the same as mine 😂 identical calls of 'referees in Chelsea's pocket' which as you say... It's interesting to see how other fans perceive our team.  We think (IMO rightly so) that certain officials are out to get us. Others think we get given golden decisions.

But the proof is in the pudding if anyone is into YouTube fan pages. I follow a lot of Utd, Arsenal, Palace, Dippers and Spurs channels mainly because it's funny when they lose. What I'm noticing is LOTS of channels dedicated to other clubs are making in depth videos on us this season. Mostly about Palmer of course, but also generally other fans seem terrified of the potential of this team, with Maresca's wide wingers spreading play against the standard inverted winger we've been used to for years, the inverted fullback giving numbers in midfield, the raw potential from how young this team is etc.

Like you say... And trust me I've been a doomsinger here for years... It's interesting that other fans think a win against us now is a big deal. Shows we're moving in the right direction. Personally I'm just happy we're finally playing with a proper culture and system. I'm treating it like the transfer ban season. I'm so exhausted by the shenanigans of the past few years I'm just going to watch some amazing football. And if Sanchez pulls his inevitable clanger I just shrug now and take a nice gulp of Wild Turkey.

• Like 3

So we almost got the point we deserved, one laspse of concentration cost us three points is the reality. As i mentioned the other day you go up there yo0u are against more than just the opponent as the already poor officials are influenced and terrified of giving anything against them as it will be poured over in the media for weeks. 

Incidently (apologies if someone did) but did no one notice the last kick of the game, Gusto had a shot on goal blocked by Robertson, well actually it was Robertson's arm. I saw it in real time and thought that it didnt look right so rewound it watched it twice...clear penalty he blocks with his arm. Of course no comments in the media, ref blew up and VAR did their three wise monkey thing...like i said you are up against more than 11 players on the pitch up there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Following up on the post from last night. I do know a few scum fans - none of them from Liverpool, and I got the obligatory phone call and WhatsApp message. Both of them said what a good player Lavia looks. 

Each time I see him, it re-affirms my and seemingly now some opponents views. One of those mentioned above was at the game. He’s the fella with a now professional footballer son, knows his stuff. Said he breathed a little easier when he saw Lavia and James going off. 

From the stands, Caicedo looked like he had another good game - Hamstrung after the substitution of Lavia though. 

Sancho flattered to deceive, went outside TAA once and then did the same thing, going inside and across and offering not a lot. Understood his substitution 100%.

Madueke was the danger, his ability to beat players close to the goal line, coupled with the fact that Robertson’s legs have gone - meant (for me) that, that side of the pitch was the one that offered more chance of success. Salah, worked incredibly hard to ensure that TAA wasn’t isolated too much. Unlike Gakpo, who didn’t do that as well on their left.

Referee and linesmen - What do we expect, it’s Anfield!

Edited by east lower
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

In the opening spell of the game we completely dominated they were taking on Liverpool defenders directly and getting in behind. 

Madueke was doing that and had Robertson terrified. Sancho got the ball and struggled to make things happen. 

11 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Statistical facts, not logic!

We were able to keep pace with this same Liverpool team for the second half of a season. They haven't even hit top form yet this season, but are already well ahead of us.

So, according to you the only benchmark of our progression is our points tally v Liverpool's?

So if Liverpool get 15 more points than they did last season, and we get 10 points more than we did last, that means we have got worse?

That's  a bit like a marathon runner taking ten minutes off his time, then you saying he is getting worse because his mate improved by 15 minutes.

7 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Can’t help thinking we should have given Silva another year. 

He played there last year. we lost 4-1 and they hit the post 4 times. 

This came shortly before or after we shipped 4 goals at home to Wolves at CB.

Great player, great bloke, but it was time to move on. We are conceding a lot less per game this season,

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Yes, the guy who has played 87% of the PL minutes he’s been available for this season. That guy. The guy who’s been generally pretty fucking shit for the best part of the last 12 months. 

So your implication is that he only gets picked because of his price tag. If you genuinely believe that, can you please explain how that reconciles with:

Mudryk being behind players Sancho and Madueke, both of whom cost a lot less?

Or why Colwill (cost nothing) consistently starts over Badiashile? Or why Tosin (cost nothing) started over Disasi? Jackson over Nkunku?

• Like 1

Re-watch Liverpool's winner , the ball takes a deflection into the path of Curtis Jones , Jones doesn't realise , leaves the pitch cycles home , has his tea , has a bath , gets changed , cycles back to the game , runs back on the pitch , meanwhile Mr "the lights are on but nobody's home" Sanchez , looks down thinks " Normally a goal keeper would pounce and smother the ball here , but I am a sweeper keeper pas ordinaire , I am above these things I think what i'd best do in this situation is "2-1 Liverpool" , make a cursory attempt to get the ball. 

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

Re-watch Liverpool's winner , the ball takes a deflection into the path of Curtis Jones , Jones doesn't realise , leaves the pitch cycles home , has his tea , has a bath , gets changed , cycles back to the game , runs back on the pitch , meanwhile Mr "the lights are on but nobody's home" Sanchez , looks down thinks " Normally a goal keeper would pounce and smother the ball here , but I am a sweeper keeper pas ordinaire , I am above these things I think what i'd best do in this situation is "2-1 Liverpool" , make a cursory attempt to get the ball. 

have to say his posture was more like a defender trying not to give a handball away then a keeper in that situation...as a goal conceded it was avoidable by all parties

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Of course when he did do that, the ref gave a penalty. Maybe that was on his mind.

It's quite astonishing that you highlight the ludicrous amount of time and space he had, but not point one iota of blame at any of the players who could / should have been marking him

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

He played there last year. we lost 4-1 and they hit the post 4 times. 

This came shortly before or after we shipped 4 goals at home to Wolves at CB.

Great player, great bloke, but it was time to move on. We are conceding a lot less per game this season,

Were  those goals all down to him ? Is he the fall guy for those  games . How many of those other players are still in this team?

IMO he still looked our best and most consistent CB. Lost some pace yes, but about the same speed off the ground  as JT in his pomp. 

Just now, NoblyBobly said:

Were  those goals all down to him ? Is he the fall guy for those  games . How many of those other players are still in this team?

IMO he still looked our best and most consistent CB. Lost some pace yes, but about the same speed off the ground  as JT in his pomp. 

Of course not, and I didn't say they were, but the Wolves game, certainly he looked horribly slow.

I don't think we'd be better off with him in the team now.