Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Matchday prediction  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Liverpool win
    • Draw
    • Chelsea win

7 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Of course when he did do that, the ref gave a penalty. Maybe that was on his mind.

It's quite astonishing that you highlight the ludicrous amount of time and space he had, but not point one iota of blame at any of the players who could / should have been marking him

Astonishing that apparently no body else realised , The man is an imbecile. 

I re-watched the game (different commentary), and the second time, I left the game more disappointed than the first because we played pretty well and had more good chances than they did despite spending the last ten minutes wasting time. The ref was a homer, but they mostly are, and there was a fair bit of "dark arts" that were entirely missed by the officials and the commentators. The first penalty was a pen, as I thought at the time, but none of the others. Palmer was being marked out, and Sancho drifted in and out of the game. Sanchez is only partly to blame for the goal. But, for the most part, I thought we were good.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, johnnybozo said:

Are you sure your mate is not the same as mine 😂 identical calls of 'referees in Chelsea's pocket' which as you say... It's interesting to see how other fans perceive our team.  We think (IMO rightly so) that certain officials are out to get us. Others think we get given golden decisions.

But the proof is in the pudding if anyone is into YouTube fan pages. I follow a lot of Utd, Arsenal, Palace, Dippers and Spurs channels mainly because it's funny when they lose. What I'm noticing is LOTS of channels dedicated to other clubs are making in depth videos on us this season. Mostly about Palmer of course, but also generally other fans seem terrified of the potential of this team, with Maresca's wide wingers spreading play against the standard inverted winger we've been used to for years, the inverted fullback giving numbers in midfield, the raw potential from how young this team is etc.

Like you say... And trust me I've been a doomsinger here for years... It's interesting that other fans think a win against us now is a big deal. Shows we're moving in the right direction. Personally I'm just happy we're finally playing with a proper culture and system. I'm treating it like the transfer ban season. I'm so exhausted by the shenanigans of the past few years I'm just going to watch some amazing football. And if Sanchez pulls his inevitable clanger I just shrug now and take a nice gulp of Wild Turkey.

It might be same guy. Does he have curly hair, a big tash, talks like he’s got a plum in his mouth and walks round saying “calm down calm down!!” ?  Or is he a cockney bloke who has never been north of Watford but mumbles the words to YNWA in a drunken fashion when they score? 

I too look at this oppo YouTube sights. It’s interesting. They are all very concerned about us. All of them. And it’s the potential they see . They recognise we are a work in progress .  
Some of the posters on here really should give themselves a talking to. This is a massive rebuild . . Several seasons of shite behind us. Half the team alien to each other. A new coach . But 7 games in we have narrowly lost to the top two teams , but playing some nice stuff, well positioned in the table with plenty of goals to boot. 
I like a good old moan about this and that. I could slap Sanchez round the face sometimes, I’m endlessly trying to work out which of the Three  Amigos  ( Tosin, Bads and Fofana ) is fit to lace a 40 year old Silvas boot. But it’s the bigger picture that matters. Caicedo is blossoming, Lavia has HUGE potential as does Viega. Neto looked great last night. Dare I say James is back.  Palmer is best player in Prem (but  was very tightly efficiently marked last night). In short the positives outweigh the negatives by quite a margin. It’s all you can really ask at this stage. In the future If that pendulum starts to swing the other way then fair enough if some want to moan.  Right now I’m happy and excited about the team. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

It might be same guy. Does he have curly hair, a big tash, talks like he’s got a plum in his mouth and walks round saying “calm down calm down!!” ?  Or is he a cockney bloke who has never been north of Watford but mumbles the words to YNWA in a drunken fashion when they score? 

I too look at this oppo YouTube sights. It’s interesting. They are all very concerned about us. All of them. And it’s the potential they see . They recognise we are a work in progress .  
Some of the posters on here really should give themselves a talking to. This is a massive rebuild . . Several seasons of shite behind us. Half the team alien to each other. A new coach . But 7 games in we have narrowly lost to the top two teams , but playing some nice stuff, well positioned in the table with plenty of goals to boot. 
I like a good old moan about this and that. I could slap Sanchez round the face sometimes, I’m endlessly trying to work out which of the Three  Amigos  ( Tosin, Bads and Fofana ) is fit to lace a 40 year old Silvas boot. But it’s the bigger picture that matters. Caicedo is blossoming, Lavia has HUGE potential as does Viega. Neto looked great last night. Dare I say James is back.  Palmer is best player in Prem (but  was very tightly efficiently marked last night). In short the positives outweigh the negatives by quite a margin. It’s all you can really ask at this stage. In the future If that pendulum starts to swing the other way then fair enough if some want to moan.  Right now I’m happy and excited about the team. 

I admit that I am coming over as negative but purely because I was so utterly disappointed  with the result and how the second half panned out , I do think we've got the best years ahead of us and we are a side in progress and I like many of the players .

However we definitely need a proper goal keeper , one that is awake would do and two proper centre halves the four we've got and I include Colwill in this are all bang average . 

1 minute ago, JaneB said:

Premier League release statement as Liverpool denied second penalty vs Chelsea

I've probably missed something but is it normal practice for the PL to release statements as to why Liverpool don't get awarded penalties?

They still won ffs.

Did they say anything about why we didn't get the cast iron penalty in the first half when we on top in the game? No? Quelle surprise.

Liverpool will win this league because the powers that be want them to . 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Of course not, and I didn't say they were, but the Wolves game, certainly he looked horribly slow.

I don't think we'd be better off with him in the team now. 

I think sometimes when a player reaches such majestic standards as Silva reached , the mistake can be comparing him to those past standards and not to the other player’s vying for that position. Colwill is a very good player, but going on Silvia’s overall performances last season ( and he hadn’t fallen out of a tree since) , Colwill is the only one that currently deserves a place above Silva ( imo of course). Pointless convo coz he’s not here, but just saying. 

14 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

When we lose a game ( especially to them) everyone should have the right to vent and moan. Conceding a shit goal like that is so fcking annoying. I said at start of season that we are asking for trouble if we make Sanchez the confirmed undisputed heavyweight number one keeper.  And so it has come to pass. But the posters that from day one have just kept repeating “we’re shit we’re shit we’re shit” , even in victory, are becoming increasingly annoying. They can produce good content usually but they are stuck in the circle of doom. 

I think you speak for a lot of people

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

I think we are a top quality GK and CB away from overtaking Liverpool. 

Considering where they have been the last 5+ years and where they still are, I think it says a lot.

We had to get the right manager in this summer and it appears we have.

A couple of tweaks and we won't be far off challenging City and Arsenal, it's what happens from there that will be crucial.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, our rivals are going to have to spend fortunes keeping up with us. We have a squad that is only going to grow and get better and better. In three years time City, Arsenal and Liverpool will have to be completely different teams to be anywhere near us.

I’m going to say it now.  If we sort out our CB and possibly get a forward up grade , we will challenge next year.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

I think we are a top quality GK and CB away from overtaking Liverpool. 

Did we not need a top quality GK and CB at the end of last season? The club spent another £220m and got neither one of those things, instead signing several players that don't move the needle in any way.

39 minutes ago, JaneB said:

I've probably missed something but is it normal practice for the PL to release statements as to why Liverpool don't get awarded penalties?

They still won ffs.

They just need to get it out there Jane. The fact that we were denied two other penalties shouts ( see fillery post) is neither here nor there. Nothing to see at all. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I’m going to say it now.  If we sort out our CB and possibly get a forward up grade , we will challenge next year.

So why couldn't the directors get those players in the summer to allow us to challenge this season? Why did they spend money on rubbish like Joao Felix and Guiu who are completely unplayable in a game like yesterday's? 

• Agree 1

Wasn't a good watch.

I get people are saying they see positive signs and progress etc but I think Chelsea were quite fortunate not to get a hiding yesterday.  We were a gnat's pube away from conceding a second penalty and I'm amazed they never gave it given that it was at Anfield.  Liverpool are massively average and we gave them far too much respect and played the way they wanted us to. In 90s minutes we never looked like imposing ourselves on them and honestly, I really don't think they are all that.  Nowhere near City's level and we were very much second best against them.  They were very ordinary and didnt play well and we never looked like beating them. 

They are a much cannier team than us - all the little niggly tactical fouls and gamesmanship etc taking care to break the game up when we have possession etc, we are miles and miles off that but (reluctantly) I must point at this exact behaviour as something we need to urgently learn how to do. IT paid huge dividends for them yesterday and frankly, we looked a bit lost and naive in the face of it. Depending on the Ref etc to balance things out (at Anfield no less) is a mistake and we cannot repeat this against United. 

Reece James was nowhere near fit and shouldn't have played. He was slow, tentative, ponderous and I didnt see his trademark aggression and drive. It was a poor showing from him and he was never ready so why risk him? Did Maresca really think Salah would have given Veiga that bad of a runaround down their right that he was prepared to put Gusto out of position down that side? Big call. I don't think he got that decision right, personally. 

I am astonished to see Maresca defending Sanchez - I can only assume he sees that the big man is a confidence player and giving him the coating off he deserves after another shitshow yesterday will not help him or us as he's our best option we have. If that is the case then what on earth was the Jorgensen signing about....? 

Fact is we can bleat about taking comfort in not getting hammered like we did last season but what is the use of making "progress" if we do not have a decent goalkeeper and are throwing points away on a sadly regular basis because Sanchez is not a Premier League level keeper. Nice lad, I have nothing against him but he's miles and miles and miles off what we need. Yes, the defence is too porous and leaves him exposed too often but again, what progress can we really say we are making if we are gifting chances away and have a keeper who doesnt keep? 

Another moan - bringing Enzo on for Lavia. Why? They were bypassing us in the middle and we needed some energy and bite. for all his limitations, KDH was tailor made to come on and shore things up, get up and down and put his bloody foot in yesterday and never got a sniff.  Why did we sign him if we aren't going to use him? 

Veiga is going to get sent off soon. I like him, I like the attitude and the aggression. But he could have gone yesterday and they were targeting him because they knew he would dive in. I just worry that he will play and get a really bad sending off and end up costing us soon. 

Badiashile looked a bit better than his recent wretched self when he came on and it was lovely to see him give a bit back when Nunez was trying to get in his face. I saw enough yesterday to maybe rethink my view that he is a lost cause and that may, just maybe, with the right management he might get back to the player we were all wowed by when he first arrived. 

Tosin had an awful game and the less said about Palmer the better. At least Maresca has the balls to make changes instead of persisting with players that aren't working until the 85th minute like Poch did. 

Caicedo and Lavia are our first choice pairing in the middle. I thought Lavia was excellent until his legs went and the sooner he can get back to full fitness the happier we will be. 

Tough game on Thursday vs Pana - will need to be on it to get anything there. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Bison said:

Did we not need a top quality GK and CB at the end of last season? The club spent another £220m and got neither one of those things, instead signing several players that don't move the needle in any way.

Well as for the keeper , Petrovic was my preferred choice….would have been fine while searching for a top keeper, who as you well know don’t grow on trees. As for CB,  I know what you would like. You would have liked us to identify exactly the right top draw  CB , who was available and ready to leave his existing club, make sure he didn’t break the bank ( affect out ffp) and fit into our wage structure. That CB would have needed to hit the ground running, slip seamlessly into the side, and have absolutely no “ getting to know you time”…. Perhaps a young version of Silva? Bingo!! 

We are a club that over the years has been blessed with superb CBs. They have a sixth sense. Much of it can’t be learned as it instinct. They just know where the danger is coming from before it happens.  Tosin or Bads or Fofo might look great in training but in those  high pressure moments, in the big games, can they stay cool calm and instinctive. We were hoping one of these would come through ( and perhaps they might yet do that) , in the meantime we have to suck it up, appreciate it’s a difficult puzzle piece to fit, find that  player  and enjoy the positives of now , of which there are many. 

1 hour ago, JaneB said:

They still won ffs.

Can you provide the link to their explanation as to why there was no penalty for the foul on Sancho? Or why they didn't think Jones handled the ball in the build up to the first penalty?

https://twitter.com/MitchWils1/status/1848083197420277969

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Bison said:

So why couldn't the directors get those players in the summer to allow us to challenge this season? Why did they spend money on rubbish like Joao Felix and Guiu who are completely unplayable in a game like yesterday's? 

See my other post , but in short we went to the Centre Back shop and said “ morning, we would  like a fab centre back for our team. What do you have for sale? “ Shop assistant replied “ one moment sir , I will check in my back room and see what I’ve got” ( he goes off) 

Some minutes he returns looking a bit flustered : “ Apparently fuck all sir. But rest assured , safe in the knowledge that we will contact you when one comes in”. 

5 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Billy, this is Robert Sanchez. He’s 6’6 and has the widest wingspan in the league. His defect is that’s he’s braindead.

Billy.jpg

It’s something in our drinking water. I just watched Kepa do the most horrific brain fart that somehow Arsenal didn’t score from. 

I thought we would lose yesterday, still see us as a rebuilding team and a better team than last year yet not one to get a result at Anfield. 

Surprised to see James start, for me it always seems 2-3 muted matches after a restart for him to get going then two matches where the exciting James is back and then Kaput he is crocked again.

Hopefully this time it is different though my expectations are low.

Another thing with VAR.......whenever there seems to be a possible intervention in our favour, like the Sancho non-penalty, VAR seems to make its mind up pretty damn quick. I've lost count of the number of times, after about ten seconds, the commentators say, VAR check has been completed.

When Jackson scored yesterday, it was bloody obvious from the first freeze frame that he was onside, but they seemed to take a couple of minutes desperately trying to work out how they could adjudge Jackson's eyebrow to be a head of play

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Morgs said:

Wasn't a good watch.

This is an excellent post, mate 👏

We need a couple of top CB's but they must be experienced, leader type-CB's not just an up and coming talent in the guise of Fofana or Colwill. We are screaming out for a proper captain, I can't see one out-and-out leader on that pitch at any point this season.

• Thanks 1