Liverpool vs Chelsea

JaneB

Matchday prediction  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Liverpool win
    • Draw
    • Chelsea win

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Premier League match against Liverpool at Anfield before, during and after the game.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 16:30 hours on Sunday, 20th October 2024 (Local UK time/date) (Live on Sky Sports) 

Kelleher between the sticks.

Still have PTSD thinking back to the Carabao Cup Final last season where he pulled off some insane saves. We should have won, and without him, we surely would have. So, I’m not sure how to feel about this...

Edited by mora
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

It's about time we beat them off their high horse.

Our last PL win against them (and at Anfield) was the CL season, Mount scored the winner. No crowd.

Our last PL win in front of a crowd Giroud scored the winner in 2018 at the Bridge.

Our last PL win at Anfield in front of a crowd Costa scored the winner in 2014 (title winning season).

• Like 3

On 09/10/2024 at 16:46, mora said:

Kelleher between the sticks.

Still have PTSD thinking back to the Carabao Cup Final last season where he pulled off some insane saves. We should have won, and without him, we surely would have. So, I’m not sure how to feel about this...

According to this, he is doubtful for Oct20th 😁:

https://www.premierinjuries.com/injury-table.php

• Thanks 1

Yeah we are going to get slapped. 

Usual thing - we are the better side for most of the game, get two chances and don't finish either of them, they get one chance and score it and then we have to listen to the media anoint them as Champions-in-Waiting and the single greatest football team ever to play the game in an hour-long SkySports special edition for the unveiling of the Arne Slot Machine statue outside Anfield. 

They'll do us, no doubt in my mind. I put £500 on them to win last night at 7/10. 

Edited by Morgs

It's the kind of game that will sort the wheat out from the chaff. Many a time we have gone up there after a decent start of the season only to come home with a heavy defeat or so it seems. Can think of plenty where they have scored 3, 4 or 5 where our defence just hasnt handled the pressure or our midfield for that matter. In addition to a decent opponent you have to negate the screaming hordes in the crowd and the effect they have on already poor referees/ linespeople.  If we do go down i hope that it is fighting rather than shrinking and not having given an account of ourselves.

They are currently top, not by being fantastic but by doing enough and actually stopping the opponents from scoring. We do have the tools to upset them there though with our multitude of tricky smaller nimble players-exactly the kind of players that expose Van dijks achilles heel which is ready the danger quick enough.  That said to get results at anfield/etihad/mirates/WHL etc you need to be able to weather storms to get something out of it.  We will see how we handle it, we are due a result of some sort up there

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

You have to go back to October 2005 for Chelsea's last win at Anfield, which was by a clear three goals (1-4).

You mean the last win by 3 goals?

We won their during covid when mount scored for 1-0.

We won in 2010 when Drogba and SFL scored.

I remember winning there in 2014/25 when Costa got the winner. 

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Yeah but apart from that..............

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Blue Orca said:

Chilwell at LB anyone? Gusto RB and Colwill and Tosin CHs?????

Maresca clearly doesn't rate Chilwell so it's looking like Veiga (who is getting rave reviews for us and for Portugal).

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, paulw66 said:

No. I mean a Chelsea win in which we scored three or more goals than them. I was responding to flllerywhereru2's point about how we would often have a good start in the League and then go to Anfield and concede several goals. I checked the record because I could not remember a significant win there. We won

1-4 in 2005 (Lamps, Duff, Cole and Geremi),
0-2 in 2010 (Drogba, Lamps),
0-2 in 2014 (Ba, Willian),
1-2 in 2014 (Cahill, Costa) and
0-1 in 2021 (Mount). 

Still, any win would do for me.

image.jpeg.5d72301c9090a121ab3c6efa73307758.jpeg 

Edited by Sciatika
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Ref: Homer Simpson

I was thinking of Mr. Magoo but given that Simpson or Magoo can be accidentally right from time to time, then Ian Rush might be a more reliable choice.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

I was thinking of Mr. Magoo but given that Simpson or Magoo can be accidentally right from time to time, then Ian Rush might be a more reliable choice.

I was think of whenever we play away we get a renowned "Home-r" referee. 

• Agree 1