Mason Mount

JaneB

23 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

I'd say he's been very well advised, we are an absolute mess, might never come back from it and walking away is probably in his best interests.

Speaks volumes about his character if he's content with walking away once the going gets a little tough, much less from the club he's come through the ranks at.

• Agree 3

I’d be disappointed to lose him, but I admit most of disappointment would be cos he is homegrown and you want those players to be part of the club.

Take away the fact he is homegrown, then I would not be hugely upset if he moves on. He’s done very well here and can still be a key important player at the club. If viewed clinically, he has not really trained on yet, and the first sign of crisis at the club and his form has plummeted .

If you believe the figures he wants, then I cannot see how he justifies that. I’d still rather he stays, but I struggle to see his supposed love for the club , if he cannot agree what will be very good terms offered already. 

He may be coming from a position of strength with contract the length he has, but he is not coming from a position of strength with form over the last 9 months!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

I'd say he's been very well advised, we are an absolute mess, might never come back from it and walking away is probably in his best interests.

I don't know about you Martin but I'm hoping it's a blip to be honest , not that I have the greatest confidence seeing how this season has gone , if the players liked Potter as much as they keep saying they did it does point to something else that has made them collectively unable to play football this season. I'm hoping if we get a proper coach in one who cares little for reputation then we can get back on track . 

Jumping ship to Liverpool hardly seems the career move of great foresight considering Klopp is seemingly entering the end game there. 

• Like 1

He’s not been made the best use of and doesn’t feel valued.

He’s a cracking young man and a PR dream.

But that’s typical Chelsea.  Get rid of all round quality and bring in dross who don’t give a f*** 😡

2 minutes ago, JaneB said:

He’s not been made the best use of and doesn’t feel valued.

He’s a cracking young man and a PR dream.

But that’s typical Chelsea.  Get rid of all round quality and bring in dross who don’t give a f*** 😡

Worthy of a reported 300k per week though ? He could show more through his own high standards , rather than feeling undervalued and not producing a performance of quality for about 4-5 months. 

1 hour ago, Thiago97 said:

Worthy of a reported 300k per week though ? He could show more through his own high standards , rather than feeling undervalued and not producing a performance of quality for about 4-5 months. 

This attitude is why he would be looking to leave the club. Apart from being untrue it is symptomatic of the way he has been underrated and in some quarters vilified by our supporters. 

The problem is that if we are creating an environment where home grown players like Mason Mount don't feel at home we are guilty of allowing the soul of the club to dissipate into the ether. We are in danger of becoming the soulless, plastic club other fans have always accused us of being.

Edited by RDCW
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, RDCW said:

This attitude is why he would be looking to leave the club. Apart from being untrue it is symptomatic of the way he has been underrated and in some quarters vilified by our supporters. 

The problem is that if we are creating an environment where home grown players like Mason Mount don't feel at home we are guilty of allowing the soul of the club to dissipate into the ether. We are in danger of becoming the soulless, plastic club other fans have always accused us of being.

I do agree with this however it would be really excellent if he could just have a look at the goal and make a mental note of where the bar is because his shooting has been woeful for months now ( a malaise afflicting them all apparently ) I have lost count of the times where he puts it over when it looks easier to hit the target.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I do agree with this however it would be really excellent if he could just have a look at the goal and make a mental note of where the bar is because his shooting has been woeful for months now ( a malaise afflicting them all apparently ) I have lost count of the times where he puts it over when it looks easier to hit the target.

Yes that's true, but it also applies to every other attacking player in the squad and he might have a bit more confidence in a team where the burden of goalscoring were not so onerous. SFL is the ideal man to advise him on this! Mount gives the side so many other positive attributes that we have to forgive him for not being Lampard, whilst wishing he was a bit more Essieny or Ballacky!

I’m a big fan of Mount and I want him to stay, for all the obvious reasons, however, I do think he needs to improve. His ability demands that his improvement should have been steeper than it has been in the last 18 months and he should be getting more goals and assists, in my opinion, but I do think a big part of the reason for the level of improvement dropping off is down to the pure amount of football he has played over the last few years, he’s almost been non stop for years now, apart from the covid break everyone had.

I’ve said it before and I still maintain that if Mount were to leave us now for Liverpool, my opinion of him would drop off a cliff. I would understand if he wants to move on for whatever reasons he has, but to move to Liverpool of all teams as he hits his peak years would just not sit well with me.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, RDCW said:

Which bit is untrue ? I said a reported 300k a week, that bit may not be true but it was caveated with a reported.

He has not produced a good performance for months. He’s not alone in that, but he’s the one currently negotiating for a massive deal.

I don’t understand the bit about feeling at home. He is loved by Chelsea fans, he is being offered a big deal( dont know what- but it will be significant ) , everyone wants him to stay.  At the same time, if the key decision in all this is the difference between say 180k here or 250k plus elsewhere, well he clearly don’t value being at Chelsea as much as we hoped.

If you were being offered huge money to play for Chelsea, yet more elsewhere at a club you have no connection at. What would you do ? 

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Speaks volumes about his character if he's content with walking away once the going gets a little tough, much less from the club he's come through the ranks at.

No, it doesn't. He's an employee moving from one employer to another. He hasn't been briefing the press, hasn't made any public criticism of the club, we have no reason to think he's not training well or not making himself available. 

If he leaves a club that doesn't seem to be on the trajectory he thinks his career can be on, he has literally the same "character" as any player we've signed.

No one is obliged to like him, but it would be good to be honest about reasons to not do so. It's our own partisan characters, not his.

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

No, it doesn't. He's an employee moving from one employer to another. He hasn't been briefing the press, hasn't made any public criticism of the club, we have no reason to think he's not training well or not making himself available. 

If he leaves a club that doesn't seem to be on the trajectory he thinks his career can be on, he has literally the same "character" as any player we've signed.

No one is obliged to like him, but it would be good to be honest about reasons to not do so. It's our own partisan characters, not his.

That's far too simplistic.  Football is far more emotional than that.

He's very different.  He's been at Chelsea since he was 6 years old.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JaneB said:

That's far too simplistic.  Football is far more emotional than that.

He's very different.  He's been at Chelsea since he was 6 years old.

Is it though, Jane? It is literally the nature of his relationship with Chelsea Football Club. It doesn't preclude him from having a deeper connection or feeling about the club and all it represents, but those feelings do not change the very basic fact he is an employee. His commitment to the club is his contract, or a time sooner than that he and the club agree on.

Plenty of players have left clubs they have longstanding, deep connections to for us. Why aren't we questioning their "character"? Because we like the fact they've joined us. I haven't seen anyone slating Mudryk as some kind of money-grabbing heartless shill for leaving Shakhtar in their circumstances, ravaged by war.

Look, he won't be in my affections if he goes to Liverpool. But that's because of how I feel about Liverpool. I can't expect him (a Portsmouth fan, for what it's worth!) to have the feelings I do.

Also, I've just seen Liverpool are briefing they aren't in for Bellingham, so I'd not be surprised if these recent Mount reports were just 2+2 stuff based on that. 

Go there in their current state? He’d be mad. I keep having this fantasy that he’s just stringing Liverpool along, to keep his price to Chelsea high while distracting them from focussing on low hanging fruit (no offence - no slur intended) like Jude Bellingham.

27 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Is it though, Jane? It is literally the nature of his relationship with Chelsea Football Club. It doesn't preclude him from having a deeper connection or feeling about the club and all it represents, but those feelings do not change the very basic fact he is an employee. His commitment to the club is his contract, or a time sooner than that he and the club agree on.

Plenty of players have left clubs they have longstanding, deep connections to for us. Why aren't we questioning their "character"? Because we like the fact they've joined us. I haven't seen anyone slating Mudryk as some kind of money-grabbing heartless shill for leaving Shakhtar in their circumstances, ravaged by war.

Look, he won't be in my affections if he goes to Liverpool. But that's because of how I feel about Liverpool. I can't expect him (a Portsmouth fan, for what it's worth!) to have the feelings I do.

Also, I've just seen Liverpool are briefing they aren't in for Bellingham, so I'd not be surprised if these recent Mount reports were just 2+2 stuff based on that. 

Clearly this could run and run!!!

I’M not questioning Mason’s character.  I’m questioning the club not valuing him enough on and off the field to let this situation develop.

Having said that, if he were to end up at Liverpool I would be very, very disappointed in him.  There are certain clubs Mason Mount should not be going to 😡

2 hours ago, Thiago97 said:

Which bit is untrue ? I said a reported 300k a week, that bit may not be true but it was caveated with a reported.

He has not produced a good performance for months. He’s not alone in that, but he’s the one currently negotiating for a massive deal.

I don’t understand the bit about feeling at home. He is loved by Chelsea fans, he is being offered a big deal( dont know what- but it will be significant ) , everyone wants him to stay.  At the same time, if the key decision in all this is the difference between say 180k here or 250k plus elsewhere, well he clearly don’t value being at Chelsea as much as we hoped.

If you were being offered huge money to play for Chelsea, yet more elsewhere at a club you have no connection at. What would you do ? 

The common misconception that his form has been poor for 4 or 5 months is a fallacy: he has been asked to play a variety of roles and has done so with good grace, diligence and competence. There have been times in this relatively indisciplined and under-coached team when he has been pressing on his own, tackling back on his own and running himself into the ground. His finishing has suffered as discussed above, but he is certainly not alone and is capable of remedy.

It is also untrue that he has has had the universal love, or even backing  you imply. He has been a social media scapegoat for much of his time here, especially in Lampard's first tenure, but also under Tuchel. I have been at the ground when people have turned on him and he seems to attract more than a fair share of criticism- far from the adulation which would make him consider the fans a reason to think harder about staying. It would be a great shame (on us more than him) if we are unable to keep him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RDCW said:

The common misconception that his form has been poor for 4 or 5 months is a fallacy: he has been asked to play a variety of roles and has done so with good grace, diligence and competence. There have been times in this relatively indisciplined and under-coached team when he has been pressing on his own, tackling back on his own and running himself into the ground. His finishing has suffered as discussed above, but he is certainly not alone and is capable of remedy.

It is also untrue that he has has had the universal love, or even backing  you imply. He has been a social media scapegoat for much of his time here, especially in Lampard's first tenure, but also under Tuchel. I have been at the ground when people have turned on him and he seems to attract more than a fair share of criticism- far from the adulation which would make him consider the fans a reason to think harder about staying. It would be a great shame (on us more than him) if we are unable to keep him.

The numbers alone tell you his form has been poor. I get he may have some excuses for that, like you have explained. 
To be transparent with the situation, you have to compare him with similar players of age and experience. Two of those obvious comparisons are Maddison and Grealish, both  players are contributing far more for their teams. One doing very well, the other one looks to be getting relegated.

I think it’s a fairly accurate description to say he is looking to be one of the top earners at the club. Surely we should be expecting to see a bit more from him to justify that ? Just being homegrown is not really enough is it ?

If his plan is to leave and end up at Bayern, Madrid, Barca, then I wish him well and have no issues with him making that move. If he ends up leaving to go to City, Liverpool on a huge deal that he could get here ( which we know that offer is already good), then that will be hugely disappointing for Chelsea fans. 

Edited by Thiago97

54 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

I'm not saying Mount hasn't been professional through all of this time. However, as a player that's risen from the junior ranks of the club right through to the senior setup where he's been a mainstay for much of that time, under several managers no less, while having this persona of being a Chelsea lad, one would think he'd be doing all he could to stay here for the foreseeable future. Part of doing this may mean leaving a little on the table financially in order to continue that bonded relationship. 

I get it, football is still a business and players want to maximise their earning power while they can, but when we've seen both RJ and more recently Chilwell agree to new long term deals with little to no fuss, one does have to question where Mount's priorities lie.

While I do understand players can outgrow clubs, or where the clubs level no longer matches the ambition of the player - see Rice at West Ham for example, then it's natural for a player to explore their options. The issue with Mount in this case, and this is of  course based on media reports, is that his possible destination would be Liverpool - a club that's on the decline itself and requires its own rebuilding process. If nothing else it's a lateral move at best. Now, if Mount was to end up at say Real Madrid or Bayern then you could maybe be more understanding because those sorts of moves reflect a step up. 

We've been more than good to Mount since he came onto the scene. Whether it was handing him an £80k pw deal immediately after returning from Derby and not having kicked a competitive senior ball here, consistent playing time as an important player in the side, or even trying to reward him with a new contract at a reported £180k pw at the back end of Roman's time here that he turned down. It would just be nice to see Mount maybe making a greater effort to remain here - at least in the short term. By all means, if in another two or so years we're still this awful I'll not begrudge him a desire to move, but right now it has a little bit of that "jumping ship" feel to it. 

Thanks @xceleryx, great post and you perfectly articulate my feelings about it at the moment.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, xceleryx said:

I'm not saying Mount hasn't been professional through all of this time. However, as a player that's risen from the junior ranks of the club right through to the senior setup where he's been a mainstay for much of that time, under several managers no less, while having this persona of being a Chelsea lad, one would think he'd be doing all he could to stay here for the foreseeable future. Part of doing this may mean leaving a little on the table financially in order to continue that bonded relationship. 

I get it, football is still a business and players want to maximise their earning power while they can, but when we've seen both RJ and more recently Chilwell agree to new long term deals with little to no fuss, one does have to question where Mount's priorities lie.

While I do understand players can outgrow clubs, or where the clubs level no longer matches the ambition of the player - see Rice at West Ham for example, then it's natural for a player to explore their options. The issue with Mount in this case, and this is of  course based on media reports, is that his possible destination would be Liverpool - a club that's on the decline itself and requires its own rebuilding process. If nothing else it's a lateral move at best. Now, if Mount was to end up at say Real Madrid or Bayern then you could maybe be more understanding because those sorts of moves reflect a step up. 

We've been more than good to Mount since he came onto the scene. Whether it was handing him an £80k pw deal immediately after returning from Derby and not having kicked a competitive senior ball here, consistent playing time as an important player in the side, or even trying to reward him with a new contract at a reported £180k pw at the back end of Roman's time here that he turned down. It would just be nice to see Mount maybe making a greater effort to remain here - at least in the short term. By all means, if in another two or so years we're still this awful I'll not begrudge him a desire to move, but right now it has a little bit of that "jumping ship" feel to it. 

Yes, spot on. 

You did a much better job at articulating it than i did 🙂

Just now, paulw66 said:

A few rumours circulating now that the club are confident he will sign a new deal! Who knows.

It just goes to show the media know very little , the Daily Mail are regurgitating a story that other outlets are also carrying that we are hoping to get £70m for him . I hope he's staying personally .