Mason Mount

JaneB

6 hours ago, kev61 said:

Why not?.No contention intended.

Because (in my opinion) this season is going to be a one off for Arsenal and after this they’ll slip back into the recent nothingness they’ve become used to. If he’s going to leave, then he should at least leave for a side that is a step up. I also just don’t like the fan base!

Although, a step up from us at the moment is pretty much anyone, but we have to believe we’ll be back sooner rather than later.

7 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Because (in my opinion) this season is going to be a one off for Arsenal and after this they’ll slip back into the recent nothingness they’ve become used to. If he’s going to leave, then he should at least leave for a side that is a step up. I also just don’t like the fan base!

Although, a step up from us at the moment is pretty much anyone, but we have to believe we’ll be back sooner rather than later.

I remember being laughed out of the old forum for having the audacity to point out that Arsenal has done nearly everything right over the past few seasons and that they’d end up above us - easily. 

Let me make another prediction. No. They won’t  slip back to being 4th-6th. What they need is a slightly bigger squad to cope with European football. That is an easy task to solve. I’d say that unfortunately there is a very little chance of them fucking that up. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I remember being laughed out of the old forum for having the audacity to point out that Arsenal has done nearly everything right over the past few seasons and that they’d end up above us - easily. 

Let me make another prediction. No. They won’t  slip back to being 4th-6th. What they need is a slightly bigger squad to cope with European football. That is an easy task to solve. I’d say that unfortunately there is a very little chance of them fucking that up. 

I reckon this will age just about as well as your "Nagelsmann is a done deal" assertion in the next manager thread. 😉

Edited by RDCW

12 hours ago, RDCW said:

I reckon this will age just about as well as your "Nagelsmann is a done deal" assertion in the next manager thread. 😉

Time will tell! I did say that my preferred choice was Pochettino when Potter was sacked. Guessing what this ownership will do is harder than predicting how other teams will perform! 

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Time will tell! I did say that my preferred choice was Pochettino when Potter was sacked. Guessing what this ownership will do is harder than predicting how other teams will perform! 

Indeed.

21 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Hahaha.....sorry couldn't resist.

Seriously though, Arsenal have had a history of qualifying for Europe then failing dismally as they don't put any effort into it. Their win is in the qualification, not the execution. I don't see that changing especially given the manner in which they are running out of juice at this point of the season after only having played 43 games to date (compared with 49 for City). If Liverpool and Chelsea pull themselves together next season I can totally see the likes of Newcastle and Arsenal not being able to cope with relatively more games to play and falling away slightly.

On 22/04/2023 at 15:31, Sleeping Dave said:

The thing that I was always interested in is where do Arsenal get these high tempo skilful players?(admittedly with no testicals).It has to be a recruitment policy?

Now they they have grown a pair that might win the league -  however I feel it is a temporary position.

42 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Reports this morning that a conversation took place on Friday between Mount and TB, it is believed to have gone well and the club are apparently putting a new offer together that they hope is more appealing to Mount.

That will be brilliant if true .

• Like 2

On 22/04/2023 at 08:17, My Blood Is Blue said:

100% agree with this. They are, quite simply, doing a Leicester.

Literally every one of their players are at the absolute top of their game. It's not sustainable and as we can all see from the last few games when they aren't all on it they are nowhere near as good. 

They've also done it in a season where the two teams that finished 2nd and 3rd last year completely fell apart. And they pretty much threw away all the other competitions.

And the funniest thing? They are going to win nothing. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Reports this morning that a conversation took place on Friday between Mount and TB, it is believed to have gone well and the club are apparently putting a new offer together that they hope is more appealing to Mount.

I think Mount will be one of those that is very excited about the possibility of Pochettino. 

Pochettino's teams have always been about square pegs in square holes. You won't see players playing out of position or him trying to be clever with things like this new 'hybrid' midfield/full back nonsense that some are now trying or sterling and RLC playing wing  back.

It will be a very rigid system where everyone knows their roles and everyone has a job to do, most importantly everyone has to work their nuts off and if they don't, they won't be playing. 

• Like 3

Just now, martin1905 said:

It will be a very rigid system where everyone knows their roles and everyone has a job to do, most importantly everyone has to work their nuts off and if they don't, they won't be playing. 

This is such an important point and why I am also happy if it's Poch.

I often wonder why a manager new to a club doesn't go around the players and ask them what position they play and then tell them if they want to be picked in that position then they're going to have to be better than anyone else who wants that position or other than injury or suspensions  they won't get a game 

Too often our players are mediocre in a number of positions so theres no competition for places if they can't cut it in one they get a go in another ,it's madness .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

This is such an important point and why I am also happy if it's Poch.

I often wonder why a manager new to a club doesn't go around the players and ask them what position they play and then tell them if they want to be picked in that position then they're going to have to be better than anyone else who wants that position or other than injury or suspensions  they won't get a game 

Too often our players are mediocre in a number of positions so theres no competition for places if they can't cut it in one they get a go in another ,it's madness .

Absolutely, I also think it helps with getting players to play at a high level, week in week out. Again look at Arsenal and the season they are having, no messing about moving players all over the place and changing formations every other week.

It was my biggest criticism of Tuchel to be fair.

The big question is how Pochettino handles such a big squad. Tottenham didn't have the depth and I'm not clued up enough about his time at PSG but would take a good guess that he had a pretty fixed 11 most of the time. We have the biggest squad the world has ever seen so even after a cull we are going to have a big squad that has some very expensive players missing out on the match day squad. This will be any new managers biggest problem but I don't think Pochettino is afraid of big decisions or pissing people off so another plus point if he is indeed appointed. 

Anyway, this is about Mason Mount and I think, with nothing to go on, that Pochettino is the best man available to give us the best chance of Mount signing a new contract and that goes down as a massive positive.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, martin1905 said:

I think Mount will be one of those that is very excited about the possibility of Pochettino. 

Pochettino's teams have always been about square pegs in square holes. You won't see players playing out of position or him trying to be clever with things like this new 'hybrid' midfield/full back nonsense that some are now trying or sterling and RLC playing wing  back.

OK, so how do you think Pochettino use him / what is Mount's best position? Until we can answer these questions nothing else matters.

I've seen some talk of a one year extension which is the most sensible thing to do for both sides. Mount will have another new coach to work with who may have a plan for him and from the club's side it protects his value.

27 minutes ago, Bison said:

OK, so how do you think Pochettino use him / what is Mount's best position? Until we can answer these questions nothing else matters.

Personally I think Mounts best position is a number 8 and that as where he has said he sees it too.

I think Pochettino will use him like he did Eriksen. As a 8/10. When we have the ball I'd expect it to look like a 4231 with Mount as the 10 and when we lose it, Mount will drop  in to make it a 433. 

Most importantly for him is I don't think he wants to be played all over the place and especially out wide any more. I mean, does anyone think that's where he should be playing?

27 minutes ago, Bison said:

I've seen some talk of a one year extension which is the most sensible thing to do for both sides. Mount will have another new coach to work with who may have a plan for him and from the club's side it protects his value.

Yes, makes a lot of sense for everyone.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Personally I think Mounts best position is a number 8 and that as where he has said he sees it too.

I think Pochettino will use him like he did Eriksen. As a 8/10. When we have the ball I'd expect it to look like a 4231 with Mount as the 10 and when we lose it, Mount will drop  in to make it a 433. 

Most importantly for him is I don't think he wants to be played all over the place and especially out wide any more. I mean, does anyone think that's where he should be playing?

I don't disagree with this generally speaking, however a couple of points.

• The arrival of Nkunku complicates things a little with his best position being that #10 behind a CF. It would be utterly criminal to not be playing him there, especially when he's a far better natural creator and goalscorer than Mount. There may be questions over both co-existing properly in the same lineup together.
  • If Mount was to play as a #8/#10 hybrid then it's imperative his production levels improve drastically. His production is pretty underwhelming generally speaking once you look closer at it, with the bulk of his output being accrued against the poorer sides in the league. His record against the better sides is dismal. If he's going to be that attacking option in the middle then he has to have a more telling influence on games. 
  • Mount's played 34 games for Chelsea in all comps as a CM according to Transfermarkt with 3 goals and 3 assists - a concern. 
  • Like 1

Hmm...so as usual the Media huffed and puffed about Mason but the relevant news they failed to address.

For all the "little niggle" injury presented to the public it seems..and I have only what is on here as yet.. the injury was far more debilitating than publicised.

I wish him well and hope the new face of Chelsea will keep him at SB.

• Like 4

Yeah, it always seemed to me he simply was struggling a bit with whatever injury he has. Too much fuss has been made out of this. Hopefully he'll sign, get fit and will keep dropping even better performances.

Now the rumours are City are after him as well.

An absolute shambles that we will regret.

Is there nobody that could have looked beyond their nose that could see this would happen?

The first task of the new manager is to get him to stay.

Edited by kev61

2 hours ago, kev61 said:

Now the rumours are City are after him as well.

An absolute shambles that we will regret.

Is there nobody that could have looked beyond their nose that could see this would happen?

The first task of the new manager is to get him to stay.

I mean we've actively been trying to extend Mount's contract for years now, he's the one turning them down for one reason or another. 

Can't do much more if the bloke doesn't want to take the lead of Chilly and RJ and extend. 

• Agree 1