Mason Mount

JaneB

21 minutes ago, chrisb said:

If he does move to Man U I can’t see him displacing Bruno Fernandez as their #8, so it would figure that he won’t play in his (alleged) preferred role. 

Rumours Ten Hag wants to play with 2 8s as he did at Ajax, with Casemiro sitting behind.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ROTG said:

Not sure why - it happens in all walks of life where people are headhunted etc.

OG moment, I remember when I left school and sign up for my apprenticeship "like many OG on here", and working 4 years for peanuts with the Boss telling me that once I got my qualifications for shepherding, i would receive a big pay rise in line with the other shepherds in the parish . The day come I got my first pay packet  as a qualified Shepherd the Boss gave me a pat on the back and telling me you are the future of shepherding at this parish. I looked at the packet said wow and thank you, within 6 months I was gone to another parish because they offered me double. 

OG moment over

Are you saying Anglicans get paid more than Roman Catholics? 😉

Running down the contract is what really annoys me. Chelsea gave him this platform to grow and he has done more than well out of it. 

Players with respect for their parent club give something back, i'e, signing an extension if only so that the club can recoup a decent transfer fee. Declan Rice has done this with West Ham. There really is no loyalty left in the game

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Do you think everyone in football springs out of nowhere fully formed ? 

Chief executives of Chelsea don't go to "Chief executive of Chelsea University" they go out and get a job , do a good job and get head hunted , that's how it works.

Maybe Wnstanley will say  to United " You're not selling clapped out Portuguese fancy dans to Arabs now mate , you're buying the creme de la creme of English talent and if you don't pay up now we'll sell him elsewhere" 

Nice counter, however the club are not in the position to play hard ball if FFP rules are to be abided by.  Also MM could say i will run down my contract like Rudi and Christensen and in 6 months I am a free agent. 

It would appear (after a quick visit to RedCafe) that Man U fans are a bit undecided about signing MM, now I think we can understand that as we never agree on here about signings either.

This description of MM did make me chuckle though…😂😂

“I can't say I'm turning cartwheels. When he has his less effective games he's like a ghost, he's coming off an absolute wasted season and I find him to be an unlikeable Scrappy Doo-style twerp in the mould of Wilshire.”

1 hour ago, ShedMiddle said:

Running down the contract is what really annoys me. Chelsea gave him this platform to grow and he has done more than well out of it. 

Players with respect for their parent club give something back, i'e, signing an extension if only so that the club can recoup a decent transfer fee. Declan Rice has done this with West Ham. There really is no loyalty left in the game

I really don't follow how staying for the length of time you've agreed to stay for isn't "loyalty". Clubs will try to shift players as soon as it suits them, after all. Besides, all the noise is that the club want to sell Mount now rather than let him go free, when he'd presumably have many more and potentially more lucrative options. So isn't agreeing a move this summer, with the club pocketing a fee, exactly what you're asking players do?

• Agree 1

United, under Ten Hag, makes a lot of sense for Mount, from what I have been told for a fairly long time now.

They play with Casimero holding and Bruno and Ericksen as two 'number 8's' which is exactly what he sees himself as. 

He doesn't want to play out wide, he doesn't want to be the utility man, he's not a number 10 and wants to play in the position he sees himself most. He wants to become the best footballer he can possibly be and that has always been the reason for his potential departure.

Pochettinos arrival here was not good for Mount, he would have to play out wide, and come inside like Ericksen did for him at Tottenham or as a 10. He quite simply doesn't want to.

I've said previously that he very much wanted to play under Klopp, in his system, to the extent where it was pretty much all about him wanting Liverpool but Ten Hag plays a pretty similar way and it has opened the door for him. 

Its never been about money and I can safely say that as a fact.

Of course, I could be speaking bollox but I think we will hear from him as to why he left, once he does and as I've said for ages now that he will, and expect this sort of thing to be spoken about. We shall see, I guess.

Edited by martin1905
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, chrisb said:

It would appear (after a quick visit to RedCafe) that Man U fans are a bit undecided about signing MM, now I think we can understand that as we never agree on here about signings either.

This description of MM did make me chuckle though…😂😂

“I can't say I'm turning cartwheels. When he has his less effective games he's like a ghost, he's coming off an absolute wasted season and I find him to be an unlikeable Scrappy Doo-style twerp in the mould of Wilshire.”

That description of Mount, couldn't be more inaccurate.

Wilshire is / was a complete Charlie Big Balls. 

6 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

It may well be that outside our bubble that's what the others think about MM ?

I'm sure inside the Arsenal bubble they don't have the same opinion of Wilshire as we do .

11 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Indeed! 

Nothing in the history of the universe has been as unlikeable as Scrappy Doo. Even as an animal lover I would have been very happy to have seen that thing come to a sticky end under a steam roller after its first episode in the show.

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

It may well be that outside our bubble that's what the others think about MM ?

I'm sure inside the Arsenal bubble they don't have the same opinion of Wilshire as we do .

Is there anything unlikeable about Mount? Honestly? 

Blue tinted glasses aside, I can't think of anything he has ever done that would cause dislike amongst other fans. 

Just now, paulw66 said:

Blue tinted glasses aside, I can't think of anything he has ever done that would cause dislike amongst other fans. 

To some fans of other teams the fact he plays for us is probably enough.

25 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

He's seen as a bit of a silver-spoon type, isn't he? And was positioned by parts of the press and oppo fans as why Grealish didn't get a proper run in the England team for a while. Admittedly not things he's "done" and certainly not things I'd care about in an oppo player, but I think he's never been that well-liked. Big part of that, imo, is that a lot of our online following (and I mean Twitter, not here) has vocally held some truly bizarre critical opinions of him, and most oppo supporters will run with that given they aren't forensically analysing what a player they watch a few times a year does.

He's universally adored by players, pundits and coaches. That tells you what you need to know, imo.

41 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I dunno.

I don't like him very much right now .

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Leeds fans hate him.  Which is great. 

11 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I dunno.

I don't like him very much right now .

😄 Fair.

22 hours ago, Original 21 said:

I’ve got a feeling this has been going on for a while and that the club have known about his stance since he refused to sign the contract offered him before the World Cup. We then signed Enzo and Felix as replacements. After that, Potter started to drop him from the side, his form dropped off a cliff and he developed this injury. Easy to turn around and blame the Board for cocking things up, but in this case I don’t believe they’ve done much wrong. Sounds to me like Mount made demands based on an overinflated sense of his worth, then sulked when he was told that the club were offering terms based on new financial realities. Still generous in my view and certainly not likely to be worse than the deal  Reece James accepted. 

I think he’s been badly advised, someone’s got into his ear that he deserves to be treated as the star of the club and should be paid more than anyone else. Rather than stay and fight for his boyhood club, he’s flounced off like a prima donna. Can you imagine Reece James pulling a similar stunt? I still think Mount is a great player but ultimately you’re not bigger than the club and we need players who want to play for us. He threw away his chance to be a true Chelsea legend and future captain. That shows you where his priorities lie. 

I have given him the benefit of the doubt for a long time but unfortunately it turns out this way. Oh well.

23 hours ago, Original 21 said:

I’ve got a feeling this has been going on for a while and that the club have known about his stance since he refused to sign the contract offered him before the World Cup. We then signed Enzo and Felix as replacements. After that, Potter started to drop him from the side, his form dropped off a cliff and he developed this injury. Easy to turn around and blame the Board for cocking things up, but in this case I don’t believe they’ve done much wrong. Sounds to me like Mount made demands based on an overinflated sense of his worth, then sulked when he was told that the club were offering terms based on new financial realities. Still generous in my view and certainly not likely to be worse than the deal  Reece James accepted. 

I think he’s been badly advised, someone’s got into his ear that he deserves to be treated as the star of the club and should be paid more than anyone else. Rather than stay and fight for his boyhood club, he’s flounced off like a prima donna. Can you imagine Reece James pulling a similar stunt? I still think Mount is a great player but ultimately you’re not bigger than the club and we need players who want to play for us. He threw away his chance to be a true Chelsea legend and future captain. That shows you where his priorities lie. 

For sure, Mount has definitely been badly advised. No surprise that the bad advice was coming from his father acting as his agent. It was reported a couple of months ago that Mount eventually hired an experienced agent to get things back on track.

I think we have to be mindful of the season Mount has had. It was a really bad one for both club and country. He started the season badly for us. He then went to the World Cup as a starter and was dropped during the tournament. He  returned in bad form and then picked up injuries to finish his season. Should this not impact negotiations? Why should the club assume this was a blip and not the start of a downward trend?

The offer of a one year extension was a smart idea on the club's part. If you believe you are worth x amount then prove it because based on last season's performances you aren't worth that amount today. However I can totally understand why he rejected it of course. 

Regretfully I think it's time to part ways. Mount for me can be a good first team / squad player but to make him one of the highest earners at the club only exacerbates the issue of players (like Sterling, Koulibaly) having contracts that aren't in sync with their ability and importance to the team.

• Like 1

This one is going  to hurt. It's looking more and more likely Mason is off. From what I've read the new ownership offered him a verbal contract which he was happy with prior to the World Cup, then the contract ended up being significantly lower than agreed. 

Now Alex Goldberg is not exactly my cup of tea but he does have contact with the Mount family having had Mason and his dad on his podcast. My gut feeling is that we are pushing him out rather than vise versa. 

It's clear we need to sell at least around 10 players if we can. Unfortunately many of them are on high wages and we will struggle to get much in the way of transfer fees. Mount is our most sellable asset and from FFP purposes could help pay for the summer window. 

Also seems like Chalobah and RLC are off too. Chalobah in particular is a very valuable asset, can cover three positions and doesn't kick up a fuss when he's not first choice every week. I doubt his wages are that high either. He is the perfect squad player, except we are now stuck with the unsellable KK on a long term contract. This is the real cost to that terrible summer window last season. RLC is another who can cover a few positions and is a solid back up. We'll now end up spending big on replacements down the line. The best decision we could make is to either loan out KK or cancel his contract. 

Same with Cucurella. How is there going to be space for Hall or Maatsen to come through if we've got a £60 million waste of space on high wages who can't be shifted? 

Gallagher and Colwill, another 2 who would bring in big fees. Maybe we should ask ourselves why these young homegrown players are so sought after? 

I'm worried we will continue to throw away the best academy generation we've ever seen, and rip the soul out of the team. Tammy, Christensen, Tomori, Guehi and Ake would all be an upgrade on who we've replaced them with.  

One question for anyone unfortunate enough to have been to the Bridge much recently (I have no shame in saying I skipped all of our games after Arsenal), Has the crowd been singing for Mount at all?

Back when CHO was rumoured to be leaving we all got behind him and eventually he signed a new deal. I am keen to know how aware Boehly is of the potential backlash they face if Mount ends up at a rival. I'm concerned they pay too much attention to Twitter and have no idea just how loved he is by the fans. 

Edited by Willian Dollar Baby
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

This one is going  to hurt. It's looking more and more likely Mason is off. From what I've read the new ownership offered him a verbal contract which he was happy with prior to the World Cup, then the contract ended up being significantly lower than agreed. 

Now Alex Goldberg is not exactly my cup of tea but he does have contact with the Mount family having had Mason and his dad on his podcast. My gut feeling is that we are pushing him out rather than vise versa. 

I find it extremely hard to accept that the club agree terms with Mount prior to the WC only to then pull said offer a few months later, that doesn't just happen on its own. There's obviously some missing information here.

Secondly, Goldberg being connected to the Mount family also means there's every chance he's trying to spin things in favour of Mason to absolve him from any potential blame. 

The math ain't mathing.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

I find it extremely hard to accept that the club agree terms with Mount prior to the WC only to then pull said offer a few months later, that doesn't just happen on its own.

I find it pretty easy to believe. Every contract offer is going to be verbal only initially. And we're talking about a time frame where, at its start, the owners were throwing money around incredibly stupidly, and its end it was pretty clear we'd be taking a huge hit on the next season's income.

12 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

I find it extremely hard to accept that the club agree terms with Mount prior to the WC only to then pull said offer a few months later, that doesn't just happen on its own. There's obviously some missing information here.

Secondly, Goldberg being connected to the Mount family also means there's every chance he's trying to spin things in favour of Mason to absolve him from any potential blame. 

The math ain't mathing.

There's plenty of other well connected sources saying similar. I don't take any media reports as gospel but reading between the lines this rings true.

The rumoured James contract is around £250K per week so you would expect an offer of parity there. In which case Mount would likely have signed as rival clubs are unlikely to offer equal terms, particularly when there is a massive transfer fee being paid on top of wages. 

If we wanted to keep him I'm convinced he would stay. With potential FFP trouble it's the quickest way to give us finacial comfort. Looking back at silly deals last summer like Cucurella and KK, this has cornered us into a position where we have to sell to balance the books.

Summary of the possible fees we could get for homegrown players who would all get tonnes of Premier League interest and are likely to be on lower wages. I've been conservative here:

Mount - £70mill

Gallagher - £40mill

RLC - £20mill

Chalobah - £25mill

Colwill - £40mill 

Vs a few on high wages:

Auba, KK, Ziyech, Thiago Silva, Kepa, Azpi,  Kante, Lukaku (loan at best)  - £0

Transfer fees are gettable for the below but nothing close to what we paid. High wages disclaimer and a limited market with European clubs unlikely to have the funds to buy:

Havertz - £30mill 

Kova - £30mill

Pulisic - £20mill

Mendy - £10mill

Sterling - £25mill

Quickest and easiest way to balance the books is to fire sell the valuable homegrown players. I'm very concerned this is the route we go down.