Mason Mount

JaneB

38 minutes ago, jasonb said:

BBC sports suggesting Utd have offered £60m and we are holding our for £80m.

If he wants to go find a compromise quickly..........

He hasn’t been playing like a 60 mil player recently so……

11 hours ago, jasonb said:

I agree yet CFC  is a business "not a charity"

It isn't?.There's me thinking we were a refuge for waifs and strays in the football world.

Edited by kev61

12 hours ago, NFAS said:

He hasn’t been playing like a 60 mil player recently so……

I honestly despair.What player is playing like a 60 mil player??.

We either have a squad that couldn't care less,or we have a squad that are laughing all the way to the bank.

It's both.Imagine Paulo Ferriera Mata or Azpi behaving in such a manner.

We have fallen into the money trap with players that simply look for their next pay check.

We should be looking for players that have desire.Admittedly the pool is getting smaller but they are there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kev61 said:

I honestly despair.What player is playing like a 60 mil player??.

We either have a squad that couldn't care less,or we have a squad that are laughing all the way to the bank.

It's both.Imagine Paulo Ferriera Mata or Azpi behaving in such a manner.

We have fallen into the money trap with players that simply look for their next pay check.

We should be looking for players that have desire.Admittedly the pool is getting smaller but they are there.

My point is so what if we let him go? he’s been at Chelsea since he was two ! All right seven so? 60 million would be good business in my opinion. Would you include Thiago Silva as a player with desire? Would you say He loves Chelsea just as much as Mount ?

10 hours ago, kev61 said:

It isn't?.There's me thinking we were a refuge for waifs and strays in the football world.

We have become a refuge for waifs and strays.

Of course we are hoping we become more like an aspiring club again recruiting players that either want to play for the club or the manager and are hungry for success. 

Mount used to be in one of those categories yet something has gone wrong. 

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/06/2023 at 09:48, jasonb said:

We have become a refuge for waifs and strays.

Of course we are hoping we become more like an aspiring club again recruiting players that either want to play for the club or the manager and are hungry for success. 

Mount used to be in one of those categories yet something has gone wrong. 

Yes. And long before today. What went on is anyone’s guess. I still think something happened with Tomori, as well.

• Agree 1

So Mase has gone. Strange one this, did I think we could have a better players in his positon? Yes, do I think we'll get one? No. Those better players are established players who will see us as a risk to their career.

Regardless of how it ended, Mase is Chelsea through and through, and where he had some shortcomings in quality his drive made up for it. He had a bad season, so did the club, we all did, personally I think he ran away from the project. Mase has watched from a young age players with immense quality come to this club and win silverware (for example: I remember how not everyone were fans of when we had a central pairing of Mikel and Ramires, but they'd stroll into our starting line-up nowadays), and I think he didn't buy into what the club wanted to do. Sure there were salary issues no doubt, but players who win the CL (he got an assist in the final) earn a pay rise; I suspect the same way Liverpool did the dirty on Mane, Mase had similar. Sterling has done zero to earn the wage he's on (even taking into account his City record), regardless of who signed him, he's on our books, and a local lad who wins the big prize with us can't get a contract that reflects it. Lukaku has been paid crazy money to play for someone else, Sterling looks like he came to wind down, Enzo is on a serious wack, James and Chilwell are too, and Mount has been on £80k, all of those named have been on more than double or three times as much; I think back pay was always expected in his wage demands. If wages are an issue I'd expect Sterling to be shown the door at the first opportunity too.

I think my main concern is I feel a part of the 'Chelsea' is leaving with him, there's only James left really if Dave leaves. The likes of JT, Frank and Drogs would be an example to new players on what it means to be Chelsea; with all the changes happening I'm not sure there's anyone left (even James is still in a learning stage himself). Silva is around but I think the connection with him is more to do with what type of man and player Silva is, more than the club he plays for. Normally what is a slow phase and a passing of the batton, feels more like just putting gardening gloves on and yanking the roots out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I remember when Mata left(sorry dumped by Mourhino) there was no hue and cry about a player that had just won player of the year twice.

Some trusted Mourhino because of what he achieved for us.

We now know Mourhino was full of manic canine excrement.

I'm confident we have let another top class player get away, who was also twice player of the year - only this time it was unknown circumstances that lead to Mounts departure and not one man's ego.

4 hours ago, Gurj SS said:

So Mase has gone. Strange one this, did I think we could have a better players in his positon? Yes, do I think we'll get one? No. Those better players are established players who will see us as a risk to their career.

Regardless of how it ended, Mase is Chelsea through and through, and where he had some shortcomings in quality his drive made up for it. He had a bad season, so did the club, we all did, personally I think he ran away from the project. Mase has watched from a young age players with immense quality come to this club and win silverware (for example: I remember how not everyone were fans of when we had a central pairing of Mikel and Ramires, but they'd stroll into our starting line-up nowadays), and I think he didn't buy into what the club wanted to do. Sure there were salary issues no doubt, but players who win the CL (he got an assist in the final) earn a pay rise; I suspect the same way Liverpool did the dirty on Mane, Mase had similar. Sterling has done zero to earn the wage he's on (even taking into account his City record), regardless of who signed him, he's on our books, and a local lad who wins the big prize with us can't get a contract that reflects it. Lukaku has been paid crazy money to play for someone else, Sterling looks like he came to wind down, Enzo is on a serious wack, James and Chilwell are too, and Mount has been on £80k, all of those named have been on more than double or three times as much; I think back pay was always expected in his wage demands. If wages are an issue I'd expect Sterling to be shown the door at the first opportunity too.

I think my main concern is I feel a part of the 'Chelsea' is leaving with him, there's only James left really if Dave leaves. The likes of JT, Frank and Drogs would be an example to new players on what it means to be Chelsea; with all the changes happening I'm not sure there's anyone left (even James is still in a learning stage himself). Silva is around but I think the connection with him is more to do with what type of man and player Silva is, more than the club he plays for. Normally what is a slow phase and a passing of the batton, feels more like just putting gardening gloves on and yanking the roots out.

Highlighted a few things here.

If Mase was Chelsea through and though he'd not have thrown that away so easily to make a lateral move to a rival. He'd want to be part of the project to bring the club back to where it wants to be, where he could've been a key figure in that and built himself a good legacy in the process. 

He was offered a substantial pay rise by all accounts after we won the Champions League and turned it down. 

Whether you like Sterling or not, his record speaks for itself - both in terms of team accolades and individual production. As I've shared before, up until this season he had played something like the 3rd most games under Pep out of all players he's managed, had the 2nd or 3rd most goals behind Messi and Aguero, and similarly for assists behind KdB and Messi. He may not be everyones cup of tea as a player, but he's been far more productive than most over recent years and it's disingenuous to try and claim otherwise. His wages here are also marginally more compared to what he got at City also. 

40 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

If Mase was Chelsea through and though he'd not have thrown that away so easily to make a lateral move to a rival. He'd want to be part of the project to bring the club back to where it wants to be, where he could've been a key figure in that and built himself a good legacy in the process. 

Football shelf life is short, therefore top quality players want to be part of the best teams competing  in Europe's elite competitions and trying to winning the league and trophies.  Nobody wants to be Harry Kane except Harry Kane

3 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Football shelf life is short, therefore top quality players want to be part of the best teams competing  in Europe's elite competitions and trying to winning the league and trophies.  Nobody wants to be Harry Kane except Harry Kane

You write this like Mount had nothing to do with us being outside the top 4 last season. 

12 minutes ago, ROTG said:

I'd agree if Mount was joining Real Madrid or Bayern, but he's joining present day Man Utd who haven't won a league title in 10 years, nor a European competition since 2016/17 (The Europa League). And in all honesty, look no closer to adding to either of those any time soon.

3 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

I'd agree if Mount was joining Real Madrid or Bayern, but he's joining present day Man Utd who haven't won a league title in 10 years, nor a European competition since 2016/17 (The Europa League). And in all honesty, look no closer to adding to either of those any time soon.

I believe they won silverware last season, qualified for the CL and finished 14 pts off top spot.

The club was 27pts off 4th spot, Pochettino may be a good coach but he is not a miracle worker.

13 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

it was the TBSD and them alone apparently . 

Bang on MK - Go look at the how the club went into free fall after TB decided to replace a top class coach with a nobody 

Fook me , last season not far away from Ted Lasso story without the success, Its a real pity Amazon were not doing one of there fly on the wall documentaries.

Back to MM, let see if the club replaces him with someone of the same calibre and CV? And good luck to MM

30 minutes ago, Ham said:

You write this like Mount had nothing to do with us being outside the top 4 last season. 

Edited by ROTG

5 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Bang on MK - Go look at the how the club went into free fall after TB decided to replace a top class coach with a nobody 

Yeah , I can imagine that made them all instantly forget how to play football .

Do they have someone on the side of the pitch shouting " in -out" so they don't forget how to breathe too? 

• Like 3