Mason Mount

JaneB

2 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

And yet not all contract negotiations end terribly. If you want to act like "I wasn't in their plans" is a huge, incomprehensible leap from "take it or leave it, and if you don't take it we'll get rid of you" (and again, I'm not interested in the rights or wrongs of that approach), that's up to you.

Here's a new contract = you're not in our plans. 

Not for me. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

All conjecture, and not unreasonable (which is the best any of us here can aspire to). My point was that Mount apparently saying he wasn't in our plans doesn't seem especially out there and fits completely with the very public ultimatums issued.

Everything briefed the public screams to me two parties double-bluffing each other to the point of the relationship completely breaking down.

Mount saying that he wasn't in our plans is just hard to accept when the club claims they offered 4-5 contracts to him. There's just no way we'd go to such lengths to retain a player who wasn't going to be part of our plans. 

As has been the case throughout this whole saga it's PR team vs PR team.

• Like 1

It is pretty obvious that everything Mount says/does recently is about his 'brand', including moving to United over staying with us or choosing a better footballing side to go to

Saying it was clear he wasn't in our plans sounds like utter, utter cobblers to me, clearly trying to make himself look good

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Here's a new contract = you're not in our plans. 

Not for me. 

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

Mount saying that he wasn't in our plans is just hard to accept when the club claims they offered 4-5 contracts to him. There's just no way we'd go to such lengths to retain a player who wasn't going to be part of our plans. 

As has been the case throughout this whole saga it's PR team vs PR team.

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2023/7/6/23785450/finger-pointing-fingers-pointing-the-mason-mount-blame-game

Not often a big WAGNH fan, but I think this covers it quite well. I've personally not seen any claim from the club, or any briefing clearly from them, that he's been offered four or five contracts so I really don't understand why that's got so much traction here. We weren't even able to offer contracts at the usual point you'd review a players deal, so huge pinch of salt there for me. What I've seen is one rumoured one after the CL win (and it is entirely normal for a first offer to be turned down whatever the player's intentions), then one we verbally agreed and reneged on in January, and then the alleged 1 year deal which seemed to come when negotiations were already dead.

"Here's a new contract ... No actually, I know we offered you that deal but we've changed our minds ... Now here's a contract, but for just a year. And by the way, if you don't sign it we're selling you in the summer" ... Our opinions and the rights and wrongs of that aside, I think anyone who can't see why a player would interpret that as "I'm not all that important here, am I" is kidding themselves. Anyone here would have issues with any employer who retracted a contract offer, then offered a worse one (multiple times), and then badmouthed them around the office. 

It's happened with Mount, it's done. And clearly his own ego played a part in why it went wrong. But the club have not covered themselves in glory with any of this and I for one hope that in future they only offer players deals that they intend to keep and stop leaking every little detail to the press, because that approach will lead to more Mounts. Quite probably Mounts who kick up much bigger stinks.

• Agree 3

11 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2023/7/6/23785450/finger-pointing-fingers-pointing-the-mason-mount-blame-game

Not often a big WAGNH fan, but I think this covers it quite well. I've personally not seen any claim from the club, or any briefing clearly from them, that he's been offered four or five contracts so I really don't understand why that's got so much traction here. We weren't even able to offer contracts at the usual point you'd review a players deal, so huge pinch of salt there for me. What I've seen is one rumoured one after the CL win (and it is entirely normal for a first offer to be turned down whatever the player's intentions), then one we verbally agreed and reneged on in January, and then the alleged 1 year deal which seemed to come when negotiations were already dead.

"Here's a new contract ... No actually, I know we offered you that deal but we've changed our minds ... Now here's a contract, but for just a year. And by the way, if you don't sign it we're selling you in the summer" ... Our opinions and the rights and wrongs of that aside, I think anyone who can't see why a player would interpret that as "I'm not all that important here, am I" is kidding themselves. Anyone here would have issues with any employer who retracted a contract offer, then offered a worse one (multiple times), and then badmouthed them around the office. 

It's happened with Mount, it's done. And clearly his own ego played a part in why it went wrong. But the club have not covered themselves in glory with any of this and I for one hope that in future they only offer players deals that they intend to keep and stop leaking every little detail to the press, because that approach will lead to more Mounts. Quite probably Mounts who kick up much bigger stinks.

There was an article from a day or two ago, I believe I saw it on r/soccer but can't remember the source, and in the summary it expressed that the club argue 4-5 contracts were offered, Mount's team argue it was 2-3. Again, it's really just a battle of PR. And I said this awhile back now but Mount's PR team has done everything in its power to put the onus on the club in an attempt to not tarnish the Mount brand, which we've all now seen is a big deal to Mason. 

I've personally not got any great issue with the manner in which the club has operated in this instance, that's just me though. The way I see it based on the information out there is that Mount wanted parity with the highest earners, was told his form had been poor - which he agreed, agreed terms prior the World Cup but put off accepting it in an attempt to leverage better terms. The situation around the club changed, that offer disappeared and a compromise of a short term extension with a £200k pw salary - effectively a £120k pw raise was presented. Mount took offence and from there and closed the door completely, despite the purpose of the deal being to buy additional time to find a longer term resolution. 

I don't think the club were wrong in their approach this time around, it was always a time sensitive situation and not helped by Mount's  lingering. 

It's happened now, and we'll probably never get true clarity either way. We move on.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I think this is pretty much close to the truth. 

"I have always seen myself as a No.8 that can get forward and attack, create and score goals, but also be able to do the other side of things - defend and help the team when we are under pressure. I know what I can bring to this team, I know the team and the players and what we are capable of achieving."

Interesting I have said for a long, long time that this was the reason he was never going to sign a new contract, at least it is what I was being told and no surprise he's ended up in a team that predominantly plays 433 with one number 6 and two 8's.

I have absolutely no doubt the club offered him new contracts and I have absolutely no doubt he was never going to sign them.

5 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

I’m sure we’re going to get one. Meanwhile my candidates for that role would be Reecey, Thiago or Enzo (the latter for a sneak attack!)

Caicedo will end him

🤜💥

• Haha 2

It's evident that he was brought up a United fan by his Dad in much the same way we've instilled a love of Chelsea in our offspring . He then became a pseudo Chelsea fan by playing for us and now he's reverted to type .

I hope he falls hard .

• Agree 1

On 05/07/2023 at 14:38, Bob Singleton said:

Seriously?  You don't recognise the lyrics of 'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds'?

Sorry Bob not a lyric type of person that's why I like classical music.

I was never a Beatle fan until recent years.

On 06/07/2023 at 14:15, Lump Of Celery said:

It is pretty obvious that everything Mount says/does recently is about his 'brand', including moving to United over staying with us or choosing a better footballing side to go to

Saying it was clear he wasn't in our plans sounds like utter, utter cobblers to me, clearly trying to make himself look good

I don't remember people getting upset when Mata was shown the door by a narcissist manager who has become a 'serial failure'.

Managers and players come and go - nothing to see here.

Edited by kev61

1 hour ago, kev61 said:

I don't remember people getting upset when Mata was shown the door by a narcissist manager who has become a 'serial failure'.

Managers and players come and go - nothing to see here.

Oh yes we were! Especially as he was released for someone as poor as Oscar. Personally I’m done with Mount but I can see why people are upset. Next thing we’ll hear is that he’s always been a United fan.

A bit of honesty about the whole situation would have meant an amicable parting. But it’s over and we move on. I’m very excited for Poch’s Chelsea.

Edited by Chelsea_Matt
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Oh yes we were! Especially as he was released for someone as poor as Oscar. Personally I’m done with Mount but I can see why people are upset. Next thing we’ll hear is that he’s always been a United fan.

A bit of honesty about the whole situation would have meant an amicable parting. But it’s over and we move on. I’m very excited for Poch’s Chelsea.

Honesty?.you'll find it hard to come by.

Why are people "upset" with Mount? I find it laughable.

He prefers to go somewhere else...so what?

7 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I'd say Mata was moved on to accommodate Willian. And that, as much as I loved Mata, it very quickly became clear it was the right move.

He could have accommodated both.It was a crazy nonsensical move by Mourhino that eventually got him sacked on top of the many nonsensical things he was famous for.

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, kev61 said:

I agree about honesty. 

I’m not personally, but football is emotional and people invest in that way in players. Vive la difference, Monsieur! 🫶🏻

2 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

That isn’t what Jose said…

Maybe some quotes I missed, but Oscar and Mata played together all the time the previous season. Then Willian signed ... And Mata couldn't get in the team. And given both Oscar and Willian had the athleticism Mourinho demanded and Mata didn't ... idk, irrelevant now, but not my recollection that Mata went to make room for Oscar.

And @kev61, we won the league that year. Mourinho was sacked a fair bit later. I loved watching Mata and was gutted when he moved on, but what happened next for the club and Mata himself really clearly vindicates it as a decision. 

Think it's a real shame Mata stayed at United as a bit-part player for so long. Could have been a real cult figure if he'd gone back to Spain or maybe gone to Italy, think he'd have thrived there.

Anyway, think I'll stop with the Mount thread. He's not one of us anymore.

9 hours ago, kev61 said:

It's all about how we as individuals deal with an issue.

Without all the baggage involved in the saga I think most of us would say bye,sorry it hasn't worked out or such.

Clarity is a rare thing in most transfer deals let alone a convoluted one the likes of the Mount affair.

The sense of betrayal and the feeling of the p***  being taken is a catalyst for most fans.

If I were at SB for a Mount return I would not boo but would feel very anti...Havertz return?...neutral and silent...Dave visit?...noisy pleased and welcoming.

It;s a game of emotions and as I started the post ,we all have different emotional reactions to situations....I can probably walk away from some situations you may react very sharply to and the reverse....what you handle calmly may well cause me to freak out...neither of us is wrong...on the other hand😁I can imagine the mayhem if we were together in a situation and we both reacted badly! (At least in our younger days!)

My wiser self tells me that it is not an issue for any of us here to fall out over...WE remain..Mount has gone.

• Like 1