Mason Mount

JaneB

16 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

No question that on top form Mason is worth a place in a title challenging level team!

However, he has become a very inconsistent player. His short passing has become sloppy, either under or over hitting them. His touch is erratic too as is shooting. 

To get back to being contenders again we need players who are very consistently at a 7-8 out of 10 level and sometimes hitting 9 or 10. All too often these days Mason is a 6 and sometimes a 7 or 8 which isn't really good enough. 

Probably down to him be knackered for being a starter in nearly every game over the past three seasons and the previous season at Derby

16 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

No question that on top form Mason is worth a place in a title challenging level team!

However, he has become a very inconsistent player. His short passing has become sloppy, either under or over hitting them. His touch is erratic too as is shooting. 

To get back to being contenders again we need players who are very consistently at a 7-8 out of 10 level and sometimes hitting 9 or 10. All too often these days Mason is a 6 and sometimes a 7 or 8 which isn't really good enough. 

I agree with this and also notice his set pieces have often been atrocious more often than not. 

Our best player under Lampard and one of the best in TT's first season though seems to be less motivated and with his skill set and athletic profile unless he picks up his game will not be able to compete with the newcomers.

5 hours ago, ROTG said:

Probably down to him be knackered for being a starter in nearly every game over the past three seasons and the previous season at Derby

Yes, he has probably played too much high level football for someone of his age. Not just the amount of games, but also his high energy style of play has worn him out. Hope he takes full advantage of the summer break, has a nice holiday then puts his feet up  and comes back next season mentally and physically refreshed.

4 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Yes, he has probably played too much high level football for someone of his age. Not just the amount of games, but also his high energy style of play has worn him out. Hope he takes full advantage of the summer break, has a nice holiday then puts his feet up  and comes back next season mentally and physically refreshed.

This is something I've said would happen to a lot of current generation players. The high pressing era, especially in the Premier League, is really going to shorten quite a few careers.

On 09/02/2023 at 05:43, Michael Tucker said:

His team mates, you mean, Kev?

Despite what some here seem to  think, he's no Frank Lampard. Not even close.

Nobody  ever said Mount was close to Lampard.Mount should be playing in the same sort of role as Lampard and not in some sort of concocted forward role that doesn't play to his strengths.

How do you think Lampard would have performed with this bunch?.Probably like he performed with the England team imo.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Nobody  ever said Mount was close to Lampard.

That's good then, because he's not in the same class. Not even close.

20 minutes ago, kev61 said:

How do you think Lampard would have performed with this bunch?.Probably like he performed with the England team imo.

You've been reading too many newspapers, Kev. The biggest factor in Lamp's England performances was named Gerrard.

39 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

The biggest factor in Lamp's England performances was named Gerrard.

You've got me on the that one Michael?

If I interpret correctly -  Gerrard somehow restricted Lampard in his performances?

41 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Lampard had to fit in around (and take a back seat to) StevieMe who was God's gift to football, apparently. It stopped Lamps playing to his strengths. Discussed everywhere at the time.

I thought it was just England had a shit manager.?

• 3 weeks later...

It's a tough one, his mates at the club are now on big money but Mason is now subject to the new policy of longer contracts and lower wages. Yes he's been Chelsea since he was in promary school but he's a Southampton supporter at heart so I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up going to Pool, City or United where he will get the 300k a week he's looking for. Whereupon the club will lose yet another part of its identity in my book.

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

It's a tough one, his mates at the club are now on big money but Mason is now subject to the new policy of longer contracts and lower wages. Yes he's been Chelsea since he was in promary school but he's a Southampton supporter at heart so I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up going to Pool, City or United where he will get the 300k a week he's looking for. Whereupon the club will lose yet another part of its identity in my book.

Don't let him see you call him a Southampton fan. 

Understanding the club, what it stands for, the standards required and the supporters is quality of its own. It's not enough without delivering on the pitch but Mase has been a shining light until recently. I do fear we end up with essentially a whole new squad soon with no identity or connection to the past successes of the club - we will lose a lot by selling Mount and Azpilicueta. Gallagher to a lesser extent too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, FrankLampard8 said:

Understanding the club, what it stands for, the standards required and the supporters is quality of its own. It's not enough without delivering on the pitch but Mase has been a shining light until recently. I do fear we end up with essentially a whole new squad soon with no identity or connection to the past successes of the club - we will lose a lot by selling Mount and Azpilicueta. Gallagher to a lesser extent too.

Would also send out the wrong message to the academy. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Ham said:

Would also send out the wrong message to the academy. 

Yes and no. I don't think Mount is the cautionary tale for the academy boys - if anything he is aspirational. I'm sure they would all take 3 or 4 years at Chelsea, 2 POTY awards and a Champions League before moving on to another massive Premier league club on huge wages that set them up for life. In fact it's pretty much the dream.

Someone like Hudson-Odoi is much more of a cautionary tale if the motive is to play football but even he has played for England and is set for life given the huge wages we have paid him. 

• Agree 2

As well as being run into the ground, Mount's on-pitch performances have seemed to suffer due to the switch to a regular 4231, much as happened to Lampard in his last few years at the club.

Mount shouldn't be playing wide left as he has done recently, and isn't as well suited to playing no.10 as Felix.

Given that Mount will be our player next season, unlike Felix, and we also have Gallagher and Chukwuemeka that would be better served playing in a formation with no.8s, I think we need to change our setup in the centre of midfield and attack - it's not as if the current plan with Enzo and RLC deep and Felix/Havertz ahead of them has actually produced anything other than one goal.

4 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Isn't he a Pompey fan?

As an ex Pompey boy, anyone from Portsmouth who supports that vile lot up Southampton water is likely to be convinced of the error of his ways in a somewhat persuasive manner.