Mason Mount

JaneB

10 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Actions speak louder than words.

So does poor form to be honest with you, something Mount has shown since the back end of Tuchel's time here.

I like Mount, I mean I think we all do, but one can only call it as they see it and for me Mount hasn't been good enough to be being picked. Yet, despite this he still has the 3rd most minutes played for us this season with 1642  - behind only Havertz and Thiago Silva, so he's quite fortunate in my book to playing as much has he has done. 

While I'd like for him to stay, he's also got a lot to improve upon if he's to be some indispensable figure for us. Signing a new contract would go along way to letting him focus on his football and rediscovering the sort of form he initially showed early on,.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

51 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

So does poor form to be honest with you, something Mount has shown since the back end of Tuchel's time here.

I like Mount, I mean I think we all do, but one can only call it as they see it and for me Mount hasn't been good enough to be being picked. Yet, despite this he still has the 3rd most minutes played for us this season with 1642  - behind only Havertz and Thiago Silva, so he's quite fortunate in my book to playing as much has he has done. 

While I'd like for him to stay, he's also got a lot to improve upon if he's to be some indispensable figure for us. Signing a new contract would go along way to letting him focus on his football and rediscovering the sort of form he initially showed early on,.

Agree with all of this. But I would add that he's suffered from his own versatility - feels like he plays a different position in a different system almost every week over the last few months.  

I also think he's been ridiculously overplayed the last 2-3 years.  If I was the club, I'd be telling the FA that he's not going on any England duty come the end of the season and that he's expected to be on holiday and away from football for 5-6 weeks. He looks like he really needs a break. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Bert19 said:

Agree with all of this. But I would add that he's suffered from his own versatility - feels like he plays a different position in a different system almost every week over the last few months.  

I also think he's been ridiculously overplayed the last 2-3 years.  If I was the club, I'd be telling the FA that he's not going on any England duty come the end of the season and that he's expected to be on holiday and away from football for 5-6 weeks. He looks like he really needs a break. 

Don't disagree with any of this either and think it's all completely valid - have even spoken on the overplaying part being a big contributor to his downturn in form myself. 

That being said there's parts of his game that've massively dropped off which shouldn't be impacted by the above, such as his passing for example - his completion rate sits as one of the worst in the entire squad to date.

18 minutes ago, Bert19 said:

I'd only be insisting on this if he signs his extension , otherwise Liverpool / Newcastle can worry about it 😀

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Well.... If he won't sign... 

Ffs make him sign Chelsea!!!! What are you doing???!!!! 😡

Can you imagine us having this conversation a little while back?  Of course not.

In the meantime we have players who don’t give a toss about Chelsea and with half the talent, character and likeability of Mason.

Ranting far from over 😡

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Well.... If he won't sign... 

Mark, he hasn't said that he won't sign from what I've seen. And he was training hard on Thursday - didn't look to me that he had his mind elsewhere. These things can take time, and it's always wise not to believe everything (anything) you read in the papers.

Mason has been down on form recently, and people are making out that it's a sign that he's off.  I'd bet that it isn't.

DAZ_9833.jpg

Edited by Michael Tucker
MM at training TODAY.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JaneB said:

Ffs make him sign Chelsea!!!! What are you doing???!!!! 😡

Can you imagine us having this conversation a little while back?  Of course not.

In the meantime we have players who don’t give a toss about Chelsea and with half the talent, character and likeability of Mason.

Ranting far from over 😡

Jane, just posted a pic of MM at training TODAY!

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

IMO, what Chelsea need to do is decide what his best position is (with input from MM obviously) and play him there. I do't see any benefit to Mason, (or the club) in moving him around.

I suppose the issue that crops up with this is that Mount himself probably isn't good enough to have a system built around him. If his desire is to play as an #8, then realistically the only formation that fits is a 433.

He can't play as a CM in a midfield two/double pivot, and would be an utterly poor choice of partner for Enzo. We're not going to play a Ancelottiesque x-mas tree narrow diamond shape because that would render the expensive wide options we've purchased entirely redundant also . 

Similarly to the tactical issues Kante will create upon his return, Mount also creates his share if he wants to be a central midfielder.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

Mount isn't good enough to make those sorts of sacrifices.

Your opinion, not mine.

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

There's a bit more to it than just a "play him in his best position" and be done with it. 

Really? How about finding out by playing him there? Not on here, but in the real world?

10 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Mark, he hasn't said that he won't sign from what I've seen. And he was training hard on Thursday - didn't look to me that he had his mind elsewhere. These things can take time, and it's always wise not to believe everything (anything) you read in the papers.

Mason has been down on form recently, and people are making out that it's a sign that he's off.  I'd bet that it isn't.

DAZ_9833.jpg

Let me be clear Mike / Jane , I desperately want to keep him and would hate to see him sign for another Premier League side but I also think the club are mindful not to let another player go for nothing , so im hoping they can come up with a way where both sides benefit.

47 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Your opinion, not mine.

Really? How about finding out by playing him there? Not on here, but in the real world?

Can you please post an example line up where Mount plays in his best position that would work and isn't to the detriment to too many other players that it makes is a futile switch? 

1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

Your opinion, not mine.

I like Mount, I think he's a good player when in form, but he's not cater a system or team towards type of good. You do that for a Lampard or Hazard, not a player like Mount. 

1 hour ago, FrankLampard8 said:

Can you please post an example line up where Mount plays in his best position that would work and isn't to the detriment to too many other players that it makes is a futile switch? 

This is what I'm interested in seeing, it's not as easy as it's made to sound. 

1 hour ago, FrankLampard8 said:

He can play various positions, hence why Lampard, TT, Southgate select him and he was POTY for two season.  

He’s another player whose league form has drop off a cliff in the past six months . I wonder why?

1 minute ago, ROTG said:

He can play various positions, hence why Lampard, TT, Southgate select him and he was POTY for two season.  

He’s another player whose league form has drop off a cliff in the past six months . I wonder why?

I completely agree. He's probably my favourite player and i'd be gutted to see him go. However, that doesn't actually answer the question I posed.