Mason Mount

JaneB

17 minutes ago, kev61 said:

The likely explanation is Mounts head is not in the right place with contract negotiations and that has filtered through to southgate.

Are we about to get rid of a player that(most people agree)will shine again  with (A) half decent players around him (B)played in the right position and (C)a good coach.

Money involved is also a major issue of course.

I agree pretty much with your sentiments Kev but mildly question Gareth's

ability to "read the room".

Aside re other posts..(mods sorry)was in Dublin working way back in the 80's ..recall it was not especially expensive but not especially cheap..long time ago!

Your other posts are driving me crazy because I can't remember the hotel I stayed at in Howth..strong memory because I got a nasty case of food poisoning from a meal on the ferry over! (From Liverpool so probably understandable! smile Khobar!))

22 minutes ago, chara said:

I agree pretty much with your sentiments Kev but mildly question Gareth's

ability to "read the room".

Aside re other posts..(mods sorry)was in Dublin working way back in the 80's ..recall it was not especially expensive but not especially cheap..long time ago!

Your other posts are driving me crazy because I can't remember the hotel I stayed at in Howth..strong memory because I got a nasty case of food poisoning from a meal on the ferry over! (From Liverpool so probably understandable! smile Khobar!))

I doubt the mods are that bothered.It's not deeply political.

Howth is a posh suburb of dublin.I used to stay in many hotels in dublin with my job - I can't remember any in Howth.

Watch the mighty Irish beat England tomorrow, I'll be there but I will only be there because I have a free ticket and a piss up will ensue.

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, kev61 said:

I doubt the mods are that bothered.It's not deeply political.

Howth is a posh suburb of dublin.I used to stay in many hotels in dublin with my job - I can't remember any in Howth.

Watch the mighty Irish beat England tomorrow, I'll be there but I will only be there because I have a free ticket and a piss up will ensue.

Enjoy the day Kev...looked up some hotels around Howth but none look familiar!

3 hours ago, xceleryx said:

In fairness, the article is crap… Mount has a new agent is the story, they’ve then added on the bit about it being because it’s to negotiate a transfer. The likely scenario is that Mount had his Dad as his agent on a temporary basis whilst looking for a new agent and he has now found one he wants to work with. It’s just as likely the new agents task is to negotiate a new contract with Chelsea.

I think we have to accept that we’ll be reading stories about Mount leaving until he either signs a new contract or I’m fact leaves.

• Agree 1

Copied from SkySports for those who don’t want to open a link themselves!

'Mount changes agent hinting at Chelsea exit'

Chelsea midfielder Mason Mount has appointed a new agent in the the strongest indication yet that he could leave the club at the end of the season, according to the Daily Mail.

The report claims Neil Fewings from Wasserman Media Group will look after the England international to take over from dad Tony, who has been Mount's agent for the last 18 months following his exit from his previous management company, Stellar Football.

The 24-year-old enters the final 12 months of his deal at the end of the season, with a new contract yet to be agreed with Chelsea.

Manchester United have now reportedly joined Liverpool and Newcastlein a move for Mount this summer.

Edited by chrisb

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

In fairness, the article is crap… Mount has a new agent is the story, they’ve then added on the bit about it being because it’s to negotiate a transfer. The likely scenario is that Mount had his Dad as his agent on a temporary basis whilst looking for a new agent and he has now found one he wants to work with. It’s just as likely the new agents task is to negotiate a new contract with Chelsea.

I think we have to accept that we’ll be reading stories about Mount leaving until he either signs a new contract or I’m fact leaves.

This is why I only addressed the agent part, the article itself doesn't have else to take from it. 

May mean something, maybe it. Although this whole Mount situation gives me Christensen-like vibes. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

This is why I only addressed the agent part, the article itself doesn't have else to take from it. 

May mean something, maybe it. Although this whole Mount situation gives me Christensen-like vibes. 

Yeah, I know what you mean. It does seem to me that something is happening, too much noise for it to all be nonsense.

I think he could stay, if the club make him the right offer, but it remains to be seen whether the club are willing to make the offer. Personally, I’m not sure they will.

8 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Yeah, I know what you mean. It does seem to me that something is happening, too much noise for it to all be nonsense.

I think he could stay, if the club make him the right offer, but it remains to be seen whether the club are willing to make the offer. Personally, I’m not sure they will.

Whether it boils down to money or length of contract I can see both sides of the argument. There's obviously a new wage structure in place with the current owners, we're going to be looking to operate within that - as we've demonstrated with the deals we've handed out to player since January once our house was in order (the summer window was a one off with the sort of contracts we handed out because of the circumstances we were in).  

I personally don't think Mount is worth anything more than the sort of contract James recently got. If that's the marker to go by then there's going to be several factors in play that may determine how much the club value Mount moving forward. And what kinda works against Mount a little is that the midfield talent in world football is still rather high, it's not like RB for example where the talent pool is shallower and RJ is the arguably the best in the world when fit. 

If it's years that are the issue then I can see Mount's possible hesitation if we're offering say a 6 or 7 year deal. That would take him into his 30's and he'll have missed out on the traditional notion of that "last big contract", which can carry significant earning power. Even though I do think if he was to perform well in the next 2-3 years he'd likely get the chance to renew well before he hit 30. 

So it's a bit of a balancing act really where Mount will want to maximise his value, while the club want to tie down a good player long term on a deal that aligns with their wage structure. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, xceleryx said:

I was beaten to this ...

3 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Quite. I think it tells us Mount wants someone more skilled negotiating for him, and that's it. Who those negotiations would be with and for what ... My suspicion is he is leaving, but appointing a new agent obviously doesn't indicate that in the way the Mail are suggesting it does.

• Agree 1

I can’t stand this 🙉

We sign millions of ‘average’ players on millions of pounds on million long contracts, and then f*** around with Mason Mount because we can’t upset our wage structure.

And when I say ‘we’ I really mean ‘they’.  No one at Chelsea is ‘Chelsea’ any more.  They have no feel for the club or who the players are they should be doing their damdest to keep.

They just don’t ‘get it’ 😡

1 minute ago, JaneB said:

I can’t stand this 🙉

We sign millions of ‘average’ players on millions of pounds on million long contracts, and then f*** around with Mason Mount because we can’t upset our wage structure.

And when I say ‘we’ I really mean ‘they’.  No one at Chelsea is ‘Chelsea’ any more.  They have no feel for the club or who the players are they should be doing their damdest to keep.

They just don’t ‘get it’ 😡

The Roman era is over though. Even if you look back at that Mount was rewarded handsomely when he signed after returning from Derby, before he even kicked a competitive ball for the senior side. Then depending if you choose to believe reports or not he then turned down a hefty new contract extension two years ago.  Outside of the summer where we were under special circumstances of an ownership change, a delayed transfer window, and needed several players, the players we've all signed since or renewed have fallen into the reformed wage structure. Mount shouldn't be an exception.

Why not question Mount's "Chelseaness" then? He's at his boyhood club, a successful club, and one of the biggest in the country. Where is his inclination to maybe leave a little on the table in return for being able to remain and preserve that commitment?  It's something we've seen many times before where a player will sacrifice money in order to stay loyal to "their" club. Instead  we could be seeing Mount end up taking a lateral move to a domestic rival for greater financial benefit. 

4 hours ago, xceleryx said:

There's obviously a new wage structure in place with the current owners, we're going to be looking to operate within that - as we've demonstrated with the deals we've handed out to player since January

That type of wage structure is only good for players who have potential. The likes of Declan Rice or any half decent DM the club may try and recruit in the summer would not entertain that kind of wage structure. So why should MM.?

Edited by ROTG

There seems to be "something" missing in this whole merry go round...

I can't imagine somehow that money is a huge issue...whatever MM's market value is it is the same across the board in that all interested clubs..and Chelsea .. will have about the same valuation and depends on how far above that valuation any club is prepared to go if a sale is on.

As for wages I think the same criteria is at play give or take a little fluctuation in an offer of wages.

Chelsea can compete at that level unlike many clubs home and abroad who cannot. (The "selling" clubs.)

The length of contract again shouldn't be an obstacle if negotiations are done sensibly.

I have no idea how good a negotiator Mason's dad is but a top pro agent surely beats a talented amateur?

To repeat, something is not being mentioned in "reports" and as ever we are at the mercy of a Media machine not the least bit interested in informing the public of what is going on and happily presenting "speculation"..such a good word!...as inside knowledge.

51 minutes ago, chara said:

There seems to be "something" missing in this whole merry go round...

I can't imagine somehow that money is a huge issue...whatever MM's market value is it is the same across the board in that all interested clubs..and Chelsea .. will have about the same valuation and depends on how far above that valuation any club is prepared to go if a sale is on.

As for wages I think the same criteria is at play give or take a little fluctuation in an offer of wages.

Chelsea can compete at that level unlike many clubs home and abroad who cannot. (The "selling" clubs.)

The length of contract again shouldn't be an obstacle if negotiations are done sensibly.

I have no idea how good a negotiator Mason's dad is but a top pro agent surely beats a talented amateur?

To repeat, something is not being mentioned in "reports" and as ever we are at the mercy of a Media machine not the least bit interested in informing the public of what is going on and happily presenting "speculation"..such a good word!...as inside knowledge.

You can pretty much take my word for the fact that it's not about money Chara, he wants to play as a cm and not be the utility man anymore. He always saw it as good for his development, playing different roles but at the start of this season he was 23,  after being at the club his whole life and winning the champions league, with two years left on his contract he saw this season as the one he would finally be given the chance to play in what he strongly sees as his best position.

It hasn't happened and Liverpool or most likely Klopp 100% want him, they see him as literally THE perfect CM for Klopp's team and he has had his head turned. They want both him and Bellingham and believe they will transform them into title challengers again and unfortunately I think they are right.

Some may remember from the old forum that I have a friend who worked at the club, it wasn't very often he would tell me things and when he did they generally either happened or at least had some truth. Morata coming when everyone said he was going to United and we were getting Lukaku and Havertz signing ,long before he did are two examples I spoke of at the time. Other times he has been wrong, of course but most the time he was on the money.

I am so confident about this one as he used to coach Mount in the youth set up, when he was just a boy and still has a good relationship with his Dad so anything he tells me about it I will believe, it's up to others to make of of it what they will but, just by the fact that he still hasn't signed, regardless of whether people want to believe me, is really not good. 

From what I gather, and I so hope I'm wrong as he is by far and away my favourite Chelsea player and one I rate so high I think he will be one of the best CM's in the world when he finally plays there, under the right manager, there is almost no chance of him signing an extension. He feels like he has put the club before his own career for years now and whatever happens with us going forward, playing for Klopp, the way they set up, he sees as the best possible next step in his career. 

Edited by martin1905
  • Sad 2

Oh and for what it's worth as I'm sure people think I'm talking shit, there is absolutely no other club in the running, it's Liverpool/Klopp or nothing and it's all because of the way Klopp sets up his midfield, Mount has the perfect skillset for it.

The club may want to sell him this summer to Newcastle or United, both rumours started form within apparently, but he will run down his contract and leave for nothing the following year if Liverpool can't afford him and Bellingham this summer.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Oh and for what it's worth as I'm sure people think I'm talking shit, there is absolutely no other club in the running, it's Liverpool/Klopp or nothing and it's all because of the way Klopp sets up his midfield, Mount has the perfect skillset for it.

The club may want to sell him this summer to Newcastle or United, both rumours started form within apparently, but he will run down his contract and leave for nothing the following year if Liverpool can't afford him and Bellingham this summer.

If he runs down his contract, in order to leave on a free for Liverpool, I will lose a massive amount of respect for him as a Chelsea player. I understand if he wants to leave, especially if it’s for footballing reasons, but I would expect him to have more respect for the club that has helped make him who and what he is today.

40 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

If he runs down his contract, in order to leave on a free for Liverpool, I will lose a massive amount of respect for him as a Chelsea player. I understand if he wants to leave, especially if it’s for footballing reasons, but I would expect him to have more respect for the club that has helped make him who and what he is today.

Yep ,same .

However, this new agent of his may have been employed as a better negotiator than his Dad to ensure he has a better chance of getting the deal he believes he's due.

Or a more lucrative deal with Liverpool.

and should he decide to go there and believe the flannel they've no doubt given him then I hope he never wins another thing in his entire career.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Find this kinda bizarre. Fulfilling their contract is surely exactly what you'd expect from a player, one of the biggest displays of loyalty one could make. Why should any player move somewhere they don't want to go for our sake?

Klopp won't be at Liverpool year after next imo, so on that basis I'm iffy on this. 

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Find this kinda bizarre. Fulfilling their contract is surely exactly what you'd expect from a player, one of the biggest displays of loyalty one could make. Why should any player move somewhere they don't want to go for our sake?

Klopp won't be at Liverpool year after next imo, so on that basis I'm iffy on this. 

I think you're being disingenuous, a bit here.

Players seeing out their contract and leaving for nothing are rarely wished well. 

We all know what they mean, we are supporters of the club and we get emotionally attached to some players, we've been crying out for a "local hero" after years of not having any, one of us if you like. 

Seeing him, a boy who signed for us when he was nine I believe, gone through a carefully considered program to help him to become a big player, leave once they are at the top of his game, hurts. 

Some people. 

Not me 

But I reserve the right to wish him ill if he goes on a free and deprives the club of the cash they need to help balance the books. 

And I also reserve the right to wish him double ill if he signs for that vile club. 

48 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think you're being disingenuous, a bit here.

Players seeing out their contract and leaving for nothing are rarely wished well. 

We all know what they mean, we are supporters of the club and we get emotionally attached to some players, we've been crying out for a "local hero" after years of not having any, one of us if you like. 

Seeing him, a boy who signed for us when he was nine I believe, gone through a carefully considered program to help him to become a big player, leave once they are at the top of his game, hurts. 

Some people. 

Not me 

But I reserve the right to wish him ill if he goes on a free and deprives the club of the cash they need to help balance the books. 

And I also reserve the right to wish him double ill if he signs for that vile club. 

I'm absolutely not. I don't think any player is obliged to move somewhere they don't want to and won't be happy because it's good for the club. I don't think you can describe a player who trains hard and makes themselves available to play as "running down" a contract in these circumstances. What they're doing is serving, fulfilling their contract. I love Mount, but I'd think this of literally any player. 

Anyone can dislike any player or club for any reason, and those reasons don't have to make any sense. Football is partisan, that's kinda the point. Those reasons are generally a load of tosh, though. None of us support Chelsea because it makes any sense, we just do.

37 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I'm absolutely not. I don't think any player is obliged to move somewhere they don't want to and won't be happy because it's good for the club. I don't think you can describe a player who trains hard and makes themselves available to play as "running down" a contract in these circumstances. What they're doing is serving, fulfilling their contract. I love Mount, but I'd think this of literally any player. 

Anyone can dislike any player or club for any reason, and those reasons don't have to make any sense. Football is partisan, that's kinda the point. Those reasons are generally a load of tosh, though. None of us support Chelsea because it makes any sense, we just do.

I wonder why nobody does that then? 

Just for the record, I don't want to lose Mason Mount. And I believe absolutely nothing that's printed in England's gutter press. So I guess that I'll wait and see what happens. I think that MM has huge potential to improve, and I'd hate to see that improvement show itself in a Liverpool shirt.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Just for the record, I don't want to lose Mason Mount. And I believe absolutely nothing that's printed in England's gutter press. So I guess that I'll wait and see what happens. I think that MM has huge potential to improve, and I'd hate to see that improvement show itself in a Liverpool shirt.

I agree. It starts with playing him in his best position, rather than as a utility player to fill in for the poor players who are supposed to play in the various positions he has to cover.

• Like 1