Media Stories, Rumours and Gossip

JaneB

1 hour ago, Holymoly said:

[SNIP]

My first degree was in microbiology back in the 80's and I don't know if this is well known or not, but back then the price of Marmite shot up. The reason for this was the UK's beer preference switching from beer to lager. Marmite is yeast extract which used to be skimmed off the top of beer fermentation. The yeast that ferments lager does so at the bottom of the fermentation vessel so there is less yeast to skim. At that point Marmite ceased to be effectively a byproduct and prices shot up. While I don't use this qualification any more it left me with a thousand ice breakers at parties.

I'll get my coat..

I remember this well... but unlike you, my knowledge of this comes not from microbiology but economics. It was one of the real-world examples we studied with regard to 'equilibrium price' (price of a commodity as determined by supply and demand).

As students, I can assure you that we didn't need an economist to tell us the price of Marmite had risen... most of us lived on Marmite on toast! As a real ale drinker, I was equally as shocked at the number of fellow students preferring APW  (Australian p*ss water) over Adnams or Tolly Cobbold in the student bar!

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

As students, I can assure you that we didn't need an economist to tell us the price of Marmite had risen... most of us lived on Marmite on toast!

Bless you for doing your best to keep Marmite on the menu. Drinking that much IPA probably kept it going 😉

As ever not sure if this is the right place. Often topics cross over but here goes.

Reading the latest Athletic report elsewhere it ,not for the first time, is clear that most of the media "commentary" is really only a more tarted up version of all the interesting and caring, if occassionally contentious, discussions and debates on here, The difference being we care and think it through with a Chelsea viewpoint,

It's not hard for the media and the usual "get out of jail free" words..."reported" "possibly" "sources" etc are littered throughout.

Very rarely do we read a thoughtful responsible article and agendas abound plus the inevitable click bait.

Rightly or wrongly Todd and Co get a hammering at times from us faithful...from the media as an agenda...but because we have an emotional vested interest.

FWIW...the thing that is at the root mistake was the GP appointment..at the time it was THE media agenda..Best Young Coach Next England Boss yadda yadda.

Cold look says all other mistakes apart from being blown out of proportion in some cases..North/South Competiton etc..unimportant click fodder can be put down to teething issues...not that simple of course and dangerous but stepping away from GP was a hard decision but it was done.

Appointing team type units to look at football matters is not a bad idea..as ever depends on the quality of the employed...no difference in essence than the old scouting system..look for and recommend.

Forget the Frank interim argument..forget the Todd and Co bashing...if we get through this season however battered the only way is up and too much investment for things not to improve...proven business men make changes to protect and improve investments and the new bunch have a ten year commitment.

Hurting times.......

• Like 2

Evening Standard reporting that Chelsea are re-hiring physio Jose Calvarro after a plea from the players (?!)

The guy is contracted to Como so will be flown over for one day a week (Sunday) to consult.

Bonkers.

Football 365 reporting that Pochettino is requesting (demanding) we keep Pullisic.

Even more bonkers

I'll be honest, I've not got many feelings left about any of the players except possibly Silva, Mount, Chilwell and James so I don't really care who they end up keeping, selling or roasting over the barbecue. I just want my club back with some players that want to play for the shirt. Maybe this phsio will end up being the man to bolt Pullisic together to become a world beater. Or maybe I'm just in the final throes of insanity.

Insanity? Not at all, @Holymoly - furthermore, he'll encourage Lukaku to drop a couple of stones, reorientate Havertz and Ziyech to point at the goal, take a machete to Cucu's flowing locks and rejuvenate Dave. Right regular miracle worker this man, by all accounts ... But totally agree with rest of it. That's it for the rest of the season, for me, although I might turn up to the Newcastle game just to bask in fond memories of how it should be done ............

Sigh..my daily "slide over" click bait siren call invariably includes some reference to Captain America regardless of how far from reality the claim may be...of course at some stage during the day I do succumb and read at least the essence of the clicking clickety click,

Looking out at the third morning this week of 6'" of snow so that is my excuse for over activity on line. (Melts very quickly but this winter like the Chelsea season has grown very old and drawn out.)

Relegation..yep...certainly relegation form but just about enough to be ok unless 4/5 sides all win at least 4 out of their remaining fixtures...sad times.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else listen to Martin Keown pop on talksh1t  this morning at Martin Tyler’s bias commentary  on yesterday Arse vs Brighton match.

Truly a bitter man 😀

Edited by ROTG

1 minute ago, ROTG said:

Anyone else listen to Martin Keown pop on talksh1t  this morning at Martin Tyler’s bias commentary yesterday Arse vs Brighton match.

Truly a bitter man 😀

Yeah, what a clown.

Everything Neville said about Arsenal transpired, and was true. They have choked, and Monkey Head and doesn't like it said.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Anyone else listen to Martin Keown pop on talksh1t  this morning at Martin Tyler’s bias commentary  on yesterday Arse vs Brighton match.

Truly a bitter man 😀

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Yeah, what a clown.

Everything Neville said about Arsenal transpired, and was true. They have choked, and Monkey Head and doesn't like it said.

Anyone ever been watching Chelsea play Arsenal or Leicester when Alan Smith is commentating? 

Now that's bias. 

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Anyone ever been watching Chelsea play Arsenal or Leicester when Alan Smith is commentating? 

Now that's bias. 

He is on the ropes tonight with Leicester 

3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Now that's bias. 

Red teams get their own pet co-commentator. 

13 hours ago, ROTG said:

Truly a bitter man 😀

That show’s a good listen, when Keown’s on it. You can hear the permanent disdain that Jordan has for Keown’s views and vice-versa. Even White who’s normally the referee between the pair waded in on Keown when the latter went for Martin Tyler.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, east lower said:

That show’s a good listen, when Keown’s on it. You can hear the permanent disdain that Jordan has for Keown’s views and vice-versa. Even White who’s normally the referee between the pair waded in on Keown when the latter went for Martin Tyler.

Webb on Talksh1t now talking about VAR Waiting to hear @Mark Kelly to phone in and give it to Webb 😀

Just now, ROTG said:

Webb on Talksh1t now talking about VAR Waiting to hear @Mark Kelly to phone in and give it to Webb 😀

Has he said anything about the "narrative" and Mike Riley's quotation about "Managing games" yet? 

Managing games as opposed to officiating them by the laws of the game that is.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Very interesting bit on Sky last night before the Leicester v Liverpool game where Webb went through several VAR examples were we could hear the communication between the ref and those at Stockley Park.

Three shortish videos taken from the whole piece on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/@skysportspremierleague/videos

I watched that , very interesting video , Webb speaks very well and explains it well but I still think there is too much leeway in handballs regarding the officials hypothesis. The laws should be clearer with regards to handball . 

53 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Very interesting bit on Sky last night before the Leicester v Liverpool game where Webb went through several VAR examples were we could hear the communication between the ref and those at Stockley Park.

Three shortish videos taken from the whole piece on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/@skysportspremierleague/videos

22 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I watched that , very interesting video , Webb speaks very well and explains it well but I still think there is too much leeway in handballs regarding the officials hypothesis. The laws should be clearer with regards to handball . 

For me, it could have been interesting, except they decided to walk us through a selection of examples where they had got it right.

I would love to have heard the audio from when Coufal saved Gallagher's shot at West Ham, and they decided there was no penalty. Or the chat when Mike Dean decided pulling Cucurella to the ground by his hair isn't violent conduct.

It was a nice showcase of "aren't we doing so well with VAR?"

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

True, but that's down to the law makers, not the refs. 

It's a shame that FIFA don't (currently) allow the audio & picture feed to be shown in real time as we see with, for example, rugby union where - instead of a side monitor only the ref sees in football - everyone in the stadium can see and hear what the ref sees and hears, including the communication between the on-field ref and the video ref. 

Hopefully from next season, all the TV companies will include the  "contentious" decisions with the 'behind the scenes' footage & audio in their post-match coverage.  I know lots of fans from clubs all around the country shudder at the words "over to Peter Walton...", but the fact that even former players employed as pundits don't know/understand the laws and need him to explain why a decision has been made one way or the other shows why it's necessary for those who actually know the laws to explain those laws. But if one feels the laws are wrong, don't blame the refs... they're not the law makers.

Edited by Bob Singleton
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

For me, it could have been interesting, except they decided to walk us through a selection of examples where they had got it right.

[SNIP]

Actually, they also showed an example of where they got things wrong (Ivan Toney penalty v Bournemouth), which is one of the three clips available on that YouTube link I posted earlier.

4 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Actually, they also showed an example of where they got things wrong (Ivan Toney penalty v Bournemouth), which is one of the three clips available on that YouTube link I posted earlier.

They could have gone through the VAR for the LiVARpool second goal last night.

Inadvertently the replays showed exactly how VAR can be manipulated to give a desired outcome. They went on a frame-by-frame view and at least 3 or 4 frames showed offside and 1 showed onside. From the stills on the frame no one could tell the actual moment the pass was made, they chose the one they wanted to use. Guesswork at best, result  manipulation at worst. 

Perhaps it's as simple as if they play in red favour them, blue favour the opposition. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Not without a time machine given that the chat between Howard Webb and Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher took place before the game! 😉

Should have done it afterwards, then - in the spirit of complete transparency 🤣

Webb could do with one of them thar' time machine gizmo's to correct his own world cup faux-pas. Took the Yankee dollar, now back to take some more of ours. Might be better than the previous incumbent, but needs to find better officials with a proper non-biased backbone.

Never mind VAR, do something about the biggest blight on the modern game - Time Wasting. They (the referees') already have the tools to deal with it and they bottle it. After the initial manager/media outrage at a few ending up being sent-off for it, the coaches will ensure that their players comply - otherwise they'll lose games. It's simple, but takes some leadership and backbone to put things into place. Tell the clubs pre-season it's happening and then it's up to them.