Media Stories, Rumours and Gossip

JaneB

21 minutes ago, Ham said:

I was just giving the dictionary definitions Jane.  

Nothing controversial. 

Tried finding a dictionary definition that matched the one you gave for 'gammon'  Unsurprisingly, I could find none. The nearest was "pejorative popularised in British political culture since around 2012. The term refers in particular to the colour of a white person's flushed face when expressing their strong opinions,"

28 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Tried finding a dictionary definition that matched the one you gave for 'gammon'  Unsurprisingly, I could find none. The nearest was "pejorative popularised in British political culture since around 2012. The term refers in particular to the colour of a white person's flushed face when expressing their strong opinions,"

Urban dictionary Bob.  Used exclusively by the woke brigade.  

18 minutes ago, Ham said:

Urban dictionary Bob.  Used exclusively by the woke brigade.  

Interesting that @JaneB keeps slapping certain people down for hinting at introducing politics into a conversation, but it seems OK for others to use terms they don't understand, such as "woke brigade"

I only know that one gets called "woke" whenever one expresses sentiments that suggest being considerate to other people is actually a good thing to do, by people who clearly believe the contrary.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Interesting that @JaneB keeps slapping certain people down for hinting at introducing politics into a conversation, but it seems OK for others to use terms they don't understand, such as "woke brigade"

I only know that one gets called "woke" whenever one expresses sentiments that suggest being considerate to other people is actually a good thing to do, by people who clearly believe the contrary.

You are having a laugh Bob. You are one of the rudest, least considerate people on here, so get off your horse you hypocrite.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

The term refers in particular to the colour of a white person's flushed face

Or they have dropped a vitamin V and are about to become an excited Numan or Woman 

Ham taking my coat back. 

Edited by ROTG

On 20/06/2023 at 17:38, Ham said:

Baby boomers = Those born between 1947 and 1964. Written off now as dinosaurs.  

Gammons = Anyone who doesn't agree with wokeism.  

Woke is an adjective derived from African-American Vernacular English (AAVE) meaning "alert to prejudice and discrimination" so you'd have to be a pretty bad person to be opposed to it. 

That's my last post. 

24 minutes ago, Deactivated said:

Woke is an adjective derived from African-American Vernacular English (AAVE) meaning "alert to prejudice and discrimination" so you'd have to be a pretty bad person to be opposed to it. 

That's my last post. 

It may have started with that intention but in this country and many other western countries, it's been hijacked by those keen to cancel and discredit anyone who doesn't agree with often outlandish opinions.  

Currently, anyone who doesn't believe that biological men should be able to share changing rooms with girls and women and compete against them in sport, thus stealing their medals and prize money are terrorised in the name of inclusivity and declared TERF gammons.  

Was that the intention of the term?  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I was reading the other day about the US Navy Seal that has now de-transitioned.

He said it was alarming how many clinics are being set up in the US to push this trans conversion with psychologists to encourage anyone that fears they might not fit in and then there are the other medical professionals offering medical drugs and surgery if wanted.

It does strongly suggest controls are needed and a bit of straight forward advice too, forget your dreams of becoming an athlete or a sports competitor until the Trans events come into their own. 

As it is getting political, I will refrain. However, I'd recommend reading Jennifer Bilek, who follows the money through US billionaires, pharma to transhumanism and postgenderism, Genevieve Gluck, a reporter for the feminist magazine, Reduxx, but don't this while you are eating, and Lorenzo Warby's substack on how we got here - the problem with academia. Personally, I avoid the word 'woke' as it has so many meanings as to be next to useless.

1 minute ago, thevelourfog said:

Do we really need to be discussing trans issues here? It's really not what I come to CFCnet for.

It's sports related but fair enough. I was responding to a question.

I'll leave it there. 

24 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Can we PLEASE get back to football and away from 'trans issues'? Thank you.

Any more of these astute player sales and I might transition.......into a Boehly fan!

1 hour ago, Holymoly said:

Anyone else finding their Youtube feed being populated more and more by Bot channels supposedly giving you erroneous Chelsea transfer "news"?

No idea what a bot is?

watch the yannick “football therapy” when residing at the parish.  He is fairly harmless and just reads reads from the papers. Made a couple of comments to him one time when at home and her indoors forgot to logout of YouTube 😀

17 minutes ago, chara said:

Thanks for pointing the way Bob but having looked it up I think maybe the OG thing has caught up with me and the English language has left me behind..still just as wise,,,but thanks for making the effort and the post!

Simply put, - at its most sophisticated level - it's a bit of software that 'replicates' human behaviour in such a way that many people don't realise they're not actually interacting  with another person but several thousand lines of code!

On a more basic level, it's software that 'pushes' content based on previous viewing habits. Unlike marketing cookies, however, the content being pushed often contains false information. Two of the best known examples of the use of bots are linked to the same company, Cambridge Analytica, and the work they did on behalf of the Trump and Leave campaigns in 2016.  The Kremlin is another user of large-scale bot farms and troll factories in order to spread disinformation.

Edited by Bob Singleton
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1