Media Stories, Rumours and Gossip

JaneB

On 13/09/2023 at 10:13, martin1905 said:

If anyone kissed my wife in that way, regardless of the occasion, I'd be knocking them clean out.

My brother in law kissed my wife recently on the lips at a funeral.Granted he didn't grab her by the face.My niece(who's 25) Kissed me on the lips recently and gave me a big bear hug after she was told she is pregnant.Should I read anything into either?.

He might be an old perv, but come on people!.If covid was still rampant i could understand.

I don't know what age you are Martin but you sound like a young starry eyed newlywed. 

Edited by kev61

6 hours ago, kev61 said:

My brother in law kissed my wife recently on the lips at a funeral.Granted he didn't grab her by the face.My niece(who's 25) Kissed me on the lips recently and gave me a big bear hug after she was told she is pregnant.Should I read anything into either?.

He might be an old perv, but come on people!.If covid was still rampant i could understand.

I don't know what age you are Martin but you sound like a young starry eyed newlywed. 

I'm 40 Kev, been with my Mrs 24 years and married 15.

The world is a different place to when you were my age and my generation see things differently, that's only natural as we live in a different time. But that's a good thing. 

I try to have this conversation with my in-laws, they think they know best, are always right and still look at me, my wife, my brother in law as kids. I try to tell them that whilst they sit at home, retired with no mortgage as they paid £80k for a house that is now worth £600k, on their iPads, scrolling Facebook videos all day and watching shit on TV that I, as a 40 year old man, in a 24 year relationship, in the same job for 17 years, with two teenage boys, an astronomical mortgage which I will be paying until I'm 70, on paper, maybe have a little more life experience. In the modern world. 

We were the kids, the 90's kids,  that had the first of everything, internet, Sky TV, big plasma screens, games consoles, smart phones, tablets,  social media, everything in the modern world we have embraced, due to our age and the modernization of most work places and industries. 

I wouldn't want my father in law to come round and pick the colours for the walls in my house if I was to decorate and choose my furniture, likewise he wouldn't want me to do it for him. We don't, and shouldn't like the same things. And that's ok.

Sorry, I've gone majorly off topic but my point is that we see things differently, mostly due to our life experiences in the world that we live in and that's  a good thing. There's no right or wrong, just different opinions, from different generations.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Chelsea have spent £1bn and signed 27 players – now they want Sporting CP

Bit of a read but worth the time to gain a little more clarity around some of what's taken place. Some of what is covered includes;

• Wanting to buy a stake in Sporting CP.
  • Decisions over Stamford Bridge.
  • Ownership were "continuously thinking about what a 100 point team looks like, and putting together the right player to achieve that.
  • Eghbali is in ultimate control.
  • The big plan of the transfer windows so far has been on signing players 25 and under who are secured on long contracts. The belief is that it provides greater security over the clubs chief assets (the players) - and a lower wage bill.
  • The long contracts are a direct result of Christensen and Rudiger leaving for free. Owners were dismayed that players the club had signed, paid, and in the case of Christensen - developed, were leaving for nothing.
  • Typical five-year deals are seen, in reality, as only a three-year deal before decisions on either extensions or sales need to be made. Or in some cases, seeing players think about leaving for free.
  • The new salaries are believed to be realistic enough to allow for resale within the Premier League for those that aren't a success. 
  • Maddison was never in consideration due to not fitting the template in place.
  • Strasbourg, and potentially Sporting if acquired, will be designed to give younger players "pathways". This doesn't necessarily lead to first team football but instead to future sales to raise FFP profits. 
  • Agreement reached to buy the Sir Oswald Stroll Mansions veterans accommodation for £80m to increase size of the site. 
  • Earls Court site realistically the last alternative West London location. 
  • The decision to stop subsidised coaches to away games could be reversed. 

• Like 2

• Ownership were "continuously thinking about what a 100 point team looks like, and putting together the right player to achieve that

I think after three seasons we will easily have accrued 100 points .  44 last year means we only need 56 from the next two seasons in their three year plan. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, kev61 said:

I sonetime despair with the way the world is going!🙁

What happened to being able to simply say you're sorry if you said or did the wrong thing? He's lost his job and is now even facing court action over a kiss on the fecking cheek. How is that in any way in proportion to the wrong he did?  For sure, he completely embarrassed himself and made the player obviously uncomfortable, so what he did was clearly wrong and unacceptable! Shouldn't a personal and public apology and a promise to learn from his mistake been enough?

Contrast that to what happened to my neighbours. One elderly lady was threatened on her doorstep and another lady was threatened with a hammer. The Police came round and gave the thug a talking too but nothing more. 

Then there's the farce of the Shopkeeper in Peckham. His shop is being robbed, gets spat in the face and then the theif starts to assist him. After trying to calmly stop the woman  he eventually  retaliates  and starts to grapple with her. Result is, the law abiding, hard working person is the bad guy while the criminal is yet again the victim.

The world is going batshit crazy!

2 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

I sonetime despair with the way the world is going!🙁

What happened to being able to simply say you're sorry if you said or did the wrong thing? He's lost his job and is now even facing court action over a kiss on the fecking cheek. How is that in any way in proportion to the wrong he did?  For sure, he completely embarrassed himself and made the player obviously uncomfortable, so what he did was clearly wrong and unacceptable! Shouldn't a personal and public apology and a promise to learn from his mistake been enough?

Contrast that to what happened to my neighbours. One elderly lady was threatened on her doorstep and another lady was threatened with a hammer. The Police came round and gave the thug a talking too but nothing more. 

Then there's the farce of the Shopkeeper in Peckham. His shop is being robbed, gets spat in the face and then the theif starts to assist him. After trying to calmly stop the woman  he eventually  retaliates  and starts to grapple with her. Result is, the law abiding, hard working person is the bad guy while the criminal is yet again the victim.

The world is going batshit crazy!

If you genuinely followed "the way the world is going", you wouldn't be asking about why an apology and a "promise to learn" isn't enough. Just 5 minutes reading about Rubiales would be enough. So it's very difficult to read your post in good faith.

Of course, the actual question should be why did Rubiales not immediately think an apology and a sincere attempt at self-improvement as his response? The answer is fairly obvious, and it's that which is the real problem.

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

If you genuinely followed "the way the world is going", you wouldn't be asking about why an apology and a "promise to learn" isn't enough. Just 5 minutes reading about Rubiales would be enough. So it's very difficult to read your post in good faith.

Of course, the actual question should be why did Rubiales not immediately think an apology and a sincere attempt at self-improvement as his response? The answer is fairly obvious, and it's that which is the real problem.

You completely avoided the point I made about the three incidents I wrote about and the responses to those incidents involving women.

I don't follow women's football and before that kiss I'd never heard of Rubiales, so I was speaking purely about that kiss. I'll say it again. As wrong and unacceptable as it was, it was a hug and kiss on the cheek at a moment of high excitement and joy for the Spanish. 

Again, how and why on earth has that kind of behaviour being deemed worse  than someone trying to steal from a shop, spitting in the shopkeepers face and then start hitting him? Worse than a young thug threatening an old lady on her doorstep and also threatening to smash a women's face in with a hammer?

That is my point!

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

You completely avoided the point I made about the three incidents I wrote about and the responses to those incidents involving women.

I don't follow women's football and before that kiss I'd never heard of Rubiales, so I was speaking purely about that kiss. I'll say it again. As wrong and unacceptable as it was, it was a hug and kiss on the cheek at a moment of high excitement and joy for the Spanish. 

Again, how and why on earth has that kind of behaviour being deemed worse  than someone trying to steal from a shop, spitting in the shopkeepers face and then start hitting him? Worse than a young thug threatening an old lady on her doorstep and also threatening to smash a women's face in with a hammer?

That is my point!

You're right, which one of us should get on the blower to FIFA and the Spanish civil courts?

Reactionary, irrelevant nonsense. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I haven't got a horse in this race but one thing I think you should be aware of is that it wasn't a simple kiss on the cheek it was full on lips which I think makes a difference. 

I've seen the video a couple of times and also seen a few comments  about it on YouTube sites which said it was nothing more than an unwelcomed and inappropriate kiss on the cheek.  It looks to me like it was on the cheek, similar to what I've seen Italians do, but I take you word for it that it was on her lips. That indeed does make a difference and a significant one imho. At no time in any decade I've lived in has it ever been an acceptable thing to do, nevermind in this more politically correct day and age. 

Though I still think it pails next to what more serious issues are being brushed aside, I do now think he's creepy twat who deserves to have lost his job and the humiliation which has been dished out to him. Hope he learns a big lesson from this and has a serious think about how he behaves in the future.

I admit I got it wrong on this! 

• Like 1

On 12/09/2023 at 08:02, Bones said:

Yes we do have issues on the left, no doubt. Personally I’m a little bit lost as to what Sterling’s best position really is? Personally I thought his preferred position was always on the left, but that may have been me just thinking that based on nothing but my own assumptions. Fact is his stats are very similar both as a LW and a RW… Laightly better at RW and even better at S (although a lot fewer games so it’s somewhat distorted). 

Personally I’d be playing this until Nkunku (and to a degree Chuk) is back from injury;

Sanchez

Gusto - Disasi - Colwill - Chilwell

Enzo - Caicedo

Madueke - Palmer - Sterling  

Jackson

On 12/09/2023 at 10:22, thevelourfog said:

We'll never know, given he never made the heartfelt public apology ... I don't think an apology really counts if it comes after labelling anyone who criticised you as an "idiot" and essentially issuing a false statement on behalf of the player. Humility clearly isn't something Rubiales can do. The guy appealed go have all Spanish club and national sides suspended from UEFA competitions in the hope it meant he couldn't be sanctioned by FIFA! 

I have some sympathy in that, let's face it, homoerotic displays of affection are not at all unusual in men's football and a kiss in that setting wouldn't have raised any eyebrow. But in the broader context of what has been happening in Spanish women's football ... Nah. Just don't kiss or touch women unless you're really sure they're okay with it, and be prepared to have people not take your apology very seriously if it comes after insulting people and trying to burn other people's careers down first.

It’s a storm in a tea cup. End of the day it’s shit like this that’ll make the general public to not feel any need to care about female football. I’m privy to some stuff being said in the Swedish football association and what demands the female players have. It’s insane, absolutely insane. The worst part is that everyone thinks it’s insane, but no one dares to tell it like it is because if you do you’ll be crucified in the media. 

Just look at the Amber Heard vs Johnny Depp “trial”. People are sick and tired of the lopsided ridiculousness of it all. 

And just to make it clear, no I don’t think he was right to do it. Yea I think winning the World Cup may have carried him away a bit, and no he didn’t respond to the criticism in the most intelligent manner. But it was innocent enough and a celebratory action. Not a malicious sexual assault. 

9 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Bit of a read but worth the time to gain a little more clarity around some of what's taken place. Some of what is covered includes;

• Ownership were "continuously thinking about what a 100 point team looks like, and putting together the right player to achieve that.
  • The big plan of the transfer windows so far has been on signing players 25 and under who are secured on long contracts. The belief is that it provides greater security over the clubs chief assets (the players) - and a lower wage bill.
  • The long contracts are a direct result of Christensen and Rudiger leaving for free. Owners were dismayed that players the club had signed, paid, and in the case of Christensen - developed, were leaving for nothing.
  • Typical five-year deals are seen, in reality, as only a three-year deal before decisions on either extensions or sales need to be made. Or in some cases, seeing players think about leaving for free.
  • The new salaries are believed to be realistic enough to allow for resale within the Premier League for those that aren't a success. 
  • Strasbourg, and potentially Sporting if acquired, will be designed to give younger players "pathways". This doesn't necessarily lead to first team football but instead to future sales to raise FFP profits. 
  • Agreement reached to buy the Sir Oswald Stroll Mansions veterans accommodation for £80m to increase size of the site. 

In the case of Christensen I can only feel with the owners. It’s just bad form the way he did it, matches his personality and morals perfectly. 

He’s Scandinavian just like myself, but there’s not many players I’ve disliked more than him that’s played a significant number of games for us. 

Edited by Sleeping Dave

10 hours ago, xceleryx said:

The way to get to a 100 point team is to develop slowly a 70 point team then add a few key ingredients to get to 80 points (which is a very rare achievement in the Prem).  100 points only comes when you keep upgrading for 5 years (City) or you take an 85 point team and run it like crazy so it drops to a 70 point team in subsequent seasons (Liverpool)

The New Salaries are a nightmare - seems to me in 2 seasons we have a huge problem with Enzo who will expect to double his salarly this summer (rightly on performances) and a huge problems with a dozen players who look like early stage Barkley/Bakayokos  (Bats, Kenedy, Emerson, Miazga were on our books till last summer, Zappa, Moses, Piazon till the summer before, Baka and Baba Rahman till this summer.)

It costs far more money to keep those players that to replace or pay up to extend the contracts of 2 CBs.  Rather the issue is understanding the quality of the players we have (Rudiger 3 years ago).
It shouldn't need repeating that failing to understand the quality of existing players seems to be a current management problem.

Pathways are best in the Championship franky which is the nearest league to the Prem in pushing players to their best 40+ games a season.  12 games a season in Portugal or France doesn't do it (Chalobah did well, but Mount, James and Tomori were even more PL ready).  PL works too.

6 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

If you genuinely followed "the way the world is going", you wouldn't be asking about why an apology and a "promise to learn" isn't enough.

Indeed you wouldn't be talking about post match nonsenses in games that almost no one actually watches.
You might talk about football (CFC is a very good example).  But more likely you'd be wondering just how China is now top of the league while US and UK are being threatened with relegation.

"The Kiss"......everyone is right!,,,or at least everyone has valid points.

Did the idiot get up that morning with the intention of "doing the deed?".... compare the JS appalling case..won't even write his name.

When Bobby Moore walked up to HM in 66 I could have kissed him!...same with various Chelsea triumphs !...I would have felt silly afterwards but in the heat of the moment..and it was a MOMENT for Spain... emotion takes over.

Unfortunately it was an opportunity for various "agenda" driven entities to take advantage and milk the event to their advantage and the Media to do what it does best...incite controversy and false moral outrage.

I didn't grow  up  being taught to respect women..it was not taught just the accepted norm..I still open doors and Ladies first..old fashioned?....or just a natural respect for people...which is the one thing I have found works everywhere I have wandered...respect for people without any gender based bias.

If it sounds as if I am defending the behaviour I most definitely am not but keep it in perspective.

Libya,,,Morocco..Hawaii ?... 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Dwmh said:

The New Salaries are a nightmare - seems to me in 2 seasons we have a huge problem with Enzo who will expect to double his salarly this summer (rightly on performances) and a huge problems with a dozen players who look like early stage Barkley/Bakayokos  (Bats, Kenedy, Emerson, Miazga were on our books till last summer, Zappa, Moses, Piazon till the summer before, Baka and Baba Rahman till this summer.)

It costs far more money to keep those players that to replace or pay up to extend the contracts of 2 CBs.  Rather the issue is understanding the quality of the players we have (Rudiger 3 years ago).
It shouldn't need repeating that failing to understand the quality of existing players seems to be a current management problem.

Don't agree with this personally. By all accounts the new wages are structured around lower base rates with more incentives and bonuses, ultimately rewarding performance. Someone like Enzo who is performing well is likely hitting those incentives and therefore increasing his earnings. Those that aren't performing well will collect their base rate. In the event of those who are deemed not good enough, or are chosen to be moved on from, because of their lower base salaries they'll be much easier for other clubs to afford and therefore avoids situations like where we're we either have to take massive losses on transfer fees to compensate, or stuck having to continuously loan players out, with certain instances also requiring subsidising wages in the process. 

Rudiger's situation wasn't as straight forward as you're making it seem. It wasn't that his quality wasn't understood, it was that we had a surplus of CB's during Lampard's second season and per the managers choice Rudi was the one deemed surplus - rightly or wrongly. When that happened Rudiger only had two years remaining on his contract, the usual period when renegotiations begin. In the end he wasn't sold before the close of the window, was largely frozen out under Lampard until he was fired and Tuchel came in to finish the second half of the season, with Rudiger returning to the team in the process.

By the time Tuchel's second season commenced (his first full season in charge), Rudiger was already in the final 12 months of his deal. Based on the interviews given after he agreed to join Madrid, contract talks begun in August with Marina, the first offer proposed he wasn't happy with, then radio silence from Marina and the club until January. Talks recommenced and then the sanctions hit, basically stopping everything dead in its tracks. Due to the uncertainty around everything Rudi had to make a choice and opted to secure his future and join Madrid. 

This is exactly why current ownership are making the changes they have.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, martin1905 said:

I'm 40 Kev, been with my Mrs 24 years and married 15.

The world is a different place to when you were my age and my generation see things differently, that's only natural as we live in a different time. But that's a good thing. 

I try to have this conversation with my in-laws, they think they know best, are always right and still look at me, my wife, my brother in law as kids. I try to tell them that whilst they sit at home, retired with no mortgage as they paid £80k for a house that is now worth £600k, on their iPads, scrolling Facebook videos all day and watching shit on TV that I, as a 40 year old man, in a 24 year relationship, in the same job for 17 years, with two teenage boys, an astronomical mortgage which I will be paying until I'm 70, on paper, maybe have a little more life experience. In the modern world. 

We were the kids, the 90's kids,  that had the first of everything, internet, Sky TV, big plasma screens, games consoles, smart phones, tablets,  social media, everything in the modern world we have embraced, due to our age and the modernization of most work places and industries. 

I wouldn't want my father in law to come round and pick the colours for the walls in my house if I was to decorate and choose my furniture, likewise he wouldn't want me to do it for him. We don't, and shouldn't like the same things. And that's ok.

Sorry, I've gone majorly off topic but my point is that we see things differently, mostly due to our life experiences in the world that we live in and that's  a good thing. There's no right or wrong, just different opinions, from different generations.

We all see things differently but there is an awful lot of sheep around.

So if you were me in my post you've responded to.Would you have decked my brother in law and rebuked my niece?.

The incident with the Spanish guy is ridiculous and if your generation think the punishment received was appropriate,  then i'm glad I'm not part of it.