Media Stories, Rumours and Gossip

JaneB

9 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I haven't got a horse in this race but one thing I think you should be aware of is that it wasn't a simple kiss on the cheek it was full on lips which I think makes a difference. 

It does make a difference but not the punishment he deserved.

If the culprit was female do you really think there would the same outcry?

1 hour ago, kev61 said:

If the person was a woman that slapped the lips of a man would there be the same outcry?.

The key difference is that men, typically, have the strength to dominate and coerce women. Consequently, we have created social norms that define boundaries of behaviour that apply to men and do not apply to women. As a consequence of those boundaries, men are able to avoid claims of coercion. This is as much for the protection of men as the protection of women. People who cross those boundaries are punished.

1 hour ago, kev61 said:

If the person was a woman that slapped the lips of a man would there be the same outcry?.

We probably all know the idealistic answer, but also the real world answer. 

Anyway it will soon transpire that she will have been a lifelong Liverpool fan and he will be a Chelsea fan, hence the skinhead (the latter being an attempt at humour to lighten the mood). 😉

14 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Surprised you didn't add  far right  and an  ist to your reply.

lol, when people both doing and not doing a thing is evidence for reinforcing your position, the sensible thing to do is reconsider your position.

I'm far less interested in seeing any challenge of my opinions as part of some unfair, organised socio-political conspiracy than it seems you are. People disagreeing with me doesn't have to be about an "ism". There's an irony there if you let yourself see it.

Can we just talk about football stuff in these threads, please? I don't come here to read people's opinions on the state of the world and it's not like there aren't a million other, much more appropriate and I imagine more welcoming, places on the internet you can do that. 

2 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I'm far less interested in seeing any challenge of my opinions as part of some unfair, organised socio-political conspiracy than it seems you are. People disagreeing with me doesn't have to be about an "ism". There's an irony there if you let yourself see it.

This. 

2 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Can we just talk about football stuff in these threads, please? I don't come here to read people's opinions on the state of the world and it's not like there aren't a million other, much more appropriate and I imagine more welcoming, places on the internet you can do that. 

And this. 

People should remember that this is a football forum - specifically a CHELSEA football forum. Can we stick to that? Thank you.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kev61 said:

We all see things differently but there is an awful lot of sheep around.

So if you were me in my post you've responded to.Would you have decked my brother in law and rebuked my niece?.

The incident with the Spanish guy is ridiculous and if your generation think the punishment received was appropriate,  then i'm glad I'm not part of it.

I don't think what you are talking about with your brother in law or niece is remotely comparable.

And I haven't commented on whether or not the punishment he received was appropriate, I don't know what the punishment was and tend not to care about things I have no control over.

I think this whole conversation is a good example of what I was talking about though, how different generations see things differently. How some are not willing to see that the world has changed and whether or not you agree with things there will be a different reaction to this sort of thing than there was in the past.

Would there have been any outcry if this had happened 20 years ago? Almost certainly not but that doesn't make it right or wrong, just different. It's because the world is a different place and people that are of a certain age have lived through a different period and see things differently.

It's the unwillingness to accept that you're not right, just because that's the way you see things, that does my head in, and that's not aimed at you Kev so please don't take offence. I'm talking about almost everybody I know from friends and family to work colleagues, people of a certain age that just haven't moved with the times,  still have the same mindset they have always had and can't accept that things are completely different to what they were.

The most ironic thing and the thing I am most greatful for is that because the way my parents generation are, from a very young age I learnt to question everything and due to all the advances in technology that I lived through as a young man I was able to find out what I believed to be right or wrong and form my own opinion. There are two sides to every story and just because you sit on one side of the fence doesn't make you right.

Again Kev, none of this is aimed at you so please don't take any of it personally.

34 minutes ago, ROTG said:

to put an end to the kissing debate

how many on here can honestly say as a kid they enjoyed the complementary goodbye kiss from granny or even worst your parents making you kiss granny goodbye 

never kissed her on the lips, though!

11 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Don't agree with this personally. By all accounts the new wages are structured around lower base rates with more incentives and bonuses, ultimately rewarding performance. Someone like Enzo who is performing well is likely hitting those incentives and therefore increasing his earnings. Those that aren't performing well will collect their base rate. In the event of those who are deemed not good enough, or are chosen to be moved on from, because of their lower base salaries they'll be much easier for other clubs to afford and therefore avoids situations like where we're we either have to take massive losses on transfer fees to compensate, or stuck having to continuously loan players out, with certain instances also requiring subsidising wages in the process. 

Rudiger's situation wasn't as straight forward as you're making it seem. It wasn't that his quality wasn't understood, it was that we had a surplus of CB's during Lampard's second season and per the managers choice Rudi was the one deemed surplus - rightly or wrongly. When that happened Rudiger only had two years remaining on his contract, the usual period when renegotiations begin. In the end he wasn't sold before the close of the window, was largely frozen out under Lampard until he was fired and Tuchel came in to finish the second half of the season, with Rudiger returning to the team in the process.

By the time Tuchel's second season commenced (his first full season in charge), Rudiger was already in the final 12 months of his deal. Based on the interviews given after he agreed to join Madrid, contract talks begun in August with Marina, the first offer proposed he wasn't happy with, then radio silence from Marina and the club until January. Talks recommenced and then the sanctions hit, basically stopping everything dead in its tracks. Due to the uncertainty around everything Rudi had to make a choice and opted to secure his future and join Madrid. 

This is exactly why current ownership are making the changes they have.

So we will have Caiceido  or Lavia on the bench and not collecting his bonuses and wanting out.
Enzo will reach the maximum pay and he will captain Argentina to more WC triumphs but still be on his Jan 2022 contract.
Sorry all these incentives and bonuses do not solve real problems:  Bats, Baka;  Courtois and Hazard.  Let alone Lukaku.

Rudiger - you have dug out a specific version of the Rudiger story, I have no real info as to whether that version is true, but I certainly agree it is a feasible explanation.
Essentially someone Fxxxed up.  (My point would be weaker if this was another example of me pointing at Lampard).
Someone who was responsible for rating our players as well as potential purchases got it seriously wrong in thinking that Rudiger wasn't one of our best 3 CBs ( I guess we are talking Christensen, Silva and Zouma as the first 3).
Madness.  
So my point is - sure go for 8 year contracts if you are Nostradamous - but demonstrate a bit of a track record first.  The Someone  above got it seriously wrong,  and the new guys have had one big success (Enzo) out of 23 big (£10m+) purchases with most of them not playing in the Prem for us or anyone else yet.

3 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Well yes.  From my pov Women's football just isn't Professional football like the PL or Championship.
It gets TV audiences and match going audiences similar to U21 football for far fewer clubs.

When it gets 10% of PL audiences then it will be a football industry.  Right now it is still early launch marketing and as such bound by all kinds of woke codes that don't apply in established markets (see Bud Light for a real product destroyed by launch marketing ideas).

16 hours ago, martin1905 said:

I don't think what you are talking about with your brother in law or niece is remotely comparable.

And I haven't commented on whether or not the punishment he received was appropriate, I don't know what the punishment was and tend not to care about things I have no control over.

I think this whole conversation is a good example of what I was talking about though, how different generations see things differently. How some are not willing to see that the world has changed and whether or not you agree with things there will be a different reaction to this sort of thing than there was in the past.

Would there have been any outcry if this had happened 20 years ago? Almost certainly not but that doesn't make it right or wrong, just different. It's because the world is a different place and people that are of a certain age have lived through a different period and see things differently.

It's the unwillingness to accept that you're not right, just because that's the way you see things, that does my head in, and that's not aimed at you Kev so please don't take offence. I'm talking about almost everybody I know from friends and family to work colleagues, people of a certain age that just haven't moved with the times,  still have the same mindset they have always had and can't accept that things are completely different to what they were.

The most ironic thing and the thing I am most greatful for is that because the way my parents generation are, from a very young age I learnt to question everything and due to all the advances in technology that I lived through as a young man I was able to find out what I believed to be right or wrong and form my own opinion. There are two sides to every story and just because you sit on one side of the fence doesn't make you right.

Again Kev, none of this is aimed at you so please don't take any of it personally.

I certainly don't take anything personally Martin.Imo you'r a good lad with good intentions always.

The one thing I will say is I guarantee you will have a different view in 20 years time.

There are different stages in life.You alter your taste in music,you see the bullshit that most politicians talk and you become more cynical/ realistic generally.I would like to call it wisdom.

To get back on subject, tomorrow is not a must win - it is another chance for Poch to convince us he knows what he's doing.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Good  luck with that one kev! Obviously, I hope to be proven wrong, but the more I listen to Poch talk, the less confidence I have!

No argument from me michael.For me the spotlight is on the manager not the players.

14 hours ago, Dwmh said:

So we will have Caiceido  or Lavia on the bench and not collecting his bonuses and wanting out.
Enzo will reach the maximum pay and he will captain Argentina to more WC triumphs but still be on his Jan 2022 contract.
Sorry all these incentives and bonuses do not solve real problems:  Bats, Baka;  Courtois and Hazard.  Let alone Lukaku.

Rudiger - you have dug out a specific version of the Rudiger story, I have no real info as to whether that version is true, but I certainly agree it is a feasible explanation.
Essentially someone Fxxxed up.  (My point would be weaker if this was another example of me pointing at Lampard).
Someone who was responsible for rating our players as well as potential purchases got it seriously wrong in thinking that Rudiger wasn't one of our best 3 CBs ( I guess we are talking Christensen, Silva and Zouma as the first 3).
Madness.  
So my point is - sure go for 8 year contracts if you are Nostradamous - but demonstrate a bit of a track record first.  The Someone  above got it seriously wrong,  and the new guys have had one big success (Enzo) out of 23 big (£10m+) purchases with most of them not playing in the Prem for us or anyone else yet.

Well yes.  From my pov Women's football just isn't Professional football like the PL or Championship.
It gets TV audiences and match going audiences similar to U21 football for far fewer clubs.

When it gets 10% of PL audiences then it will be a football industry.  Right now it is still early launch marketing and as such bound by all kinds of woke codes that don't apply in established markets (see Bud Light for a real product destroyed by launch marketing ideas).

Good to see you in full flow old toot.

Looking forward to disagreeing with you😄

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Article in the guardian along the lines of the stats are good but the team needs to find a way to score. Not quite as poisonous as they can be in the guardian but makes the assumption that we have a discipline issue due to Jacksons yellows and the red for Gusto.  I disagree the team needs to learn to treat the refs as an extra opponent to negotiate and assume that they will not get anything from them rather than expect it. Partly due to the natural antipathy they have for Chelsea but also partly to the clear new directive to let more go...let play flow...it means that some things that were fould cannot be relied on...tug backs, shoves...in fact to an extent anything goes now or more accurately can do. I have noticed this in other teams games by the way not just ours, but add a lack of any benefit of teh doubt for a chelsea player and we are struggling.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, flllerywhereru2 said:

Article in the guardian along the lines of the stats are good but the team needs to find a way to score. Not quite as poisonous as they can be in the guardian but makes the assumption that we have a discipline issue due to Jacksons yellows and the red for Gusto.  I disagree the team needs to learn to treat the refs as an extra opponent to negotiate and assume that they will not get anything from them rather than expect it. Partly due to the natural antipathy they have for Chelsea but also partly to the clear new directive to let more go...let play flow...it means that some things that were fould cannot be relied on...tug backs, shoves...in fact to an extent anything goes now or more accurately can do. I have noticed this in other teams games by the way not just ours, but add a lack of any benefit of teh doubt for a chelsea player and we are struggling.

If we just scored our chances all the talk would be different and we'd be up there in 2nd-4th. 

We just need to score. It's as simple as that. If we score, we are less likely to concede the stupid goals we do as well. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

If we just scored our chances all the talk would be different and we'd be up there in 2nd-4th. 

We just need to score. It's as simple as that. If we score, we are less likely to concede the stupid goals we do as well. 

If the goals were scored in relation to the opportunities then stupid goals conceded would not be such an issue...

Watched second half of the Ipswich game...winning goal ?...new tactic it seems ..shoot from edge of the area when given a chance,,,could revolutionise the game!

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Last night was a case in point, we got the first goal-however the all important second was denied (rightly or wrongly) by officials decisions. We then made our own luck/negotiated the poor refereeing, a tackle on Chilwell was deemed not a foul but led to him going off and a break for Brighton that was inches away from an equaliser. Had that gone in and they had say won on penalties we would have an entirely different viewpoint. But that is what we are up against.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, flllerywhereru2 said:

Last night was a case in point, we got the first goal-however the all important second was denied (rightly or wrongly) by officials decisions. We then made our own luck/negotiated the poor refereeing, a tackle on Chilwell was deemed not a foul but led to him going off and a break for Brighton that was inches away from an equaliser. Had that gone in and they had say won on penalties we would have an entirely different viewpoint. But that is what we are up against.

If you look at last night, it was similar to the West Ham, Forest, Bournemouth and Villa games.

We could have won all of those with better finishing, and we could have not won last night due to poor finishing / unlucky offside. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

If you look at last night, it was similar to the West Ham, Forest, Bournemouth and Villa games.

We could have won all of those with better finishing, and we could have not won last night due to poor finishing / unlucky offside. 

I would also add the power of the first goal in football is and always will be huge.

I think last night is something like the 5th time we have taken the lead in our last 17-18 games (2 of these are LC games). We have not lost any of these games, I think we have won 3 and drew 2 (one being that wretched last minute Everton equaliser at home) so very nearly W4 D1

That may not be 100% accurate in the number of games etc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Absolutely and it shows what a factor the inneptitude/bias/fussiness of the officials is. Last night we managed to overcome that, at Fulham we may or may not dependimng on what is thrown at us. Last season the red card for Felix turned that game, hopefully this time we don't get that.

• Like 1