Media Stories, Rumours and Gossip

JaneB

8 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Out of interest, if you were to guess what punishment we're heading for (rightly or wrongly) - what do you think? 10 points? 30 points? Relegation?

It’s so hard to say, because it’s a different situation to Everton and I still think this is just the PL’s attempt to make themselves look big and scary and that the punishment will end up reduced.

If I were to guess, I think we’ll get a large fine, a transfer ban and a warning that if we do it again it will be a points reduction.

Whatever they end up giving us, they will have to give worse to City and that will be scaring the crap out of the PL, I reckon.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Out of interest, if you were to guess what punishment we're heading for (rightly or wrongly) - what do you think? 10 points? 30 points? Relegation?

My gut is we'll get charged and hit with a similar points deduction to Everton, as it will allow the PL to offer the same to City down the line while citing consistency. Going after City to the degree they really should is a far, far bigger headache for the PL than going for us right now (precisely because we are an easier target), they will be looking for anyway to maintain face without poking the bear.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

How many points will we get?  I'd say 50.  60 next sesaon
What do we need to stay up - this season 28, next season 35 is the normal par.

So 15 points this season or next sounds like a safe compromise.  Won't get us relegated and we have/will have no CL entry chance anyway.

Key point being that if they punish us 25 points we will simply refuse to discuss it and go straight to court bringing down both FFP and probably the PL as well.  No one wants to draw back the curtain and show the real Wizard of Oz.

• Like 2

Just a thought...a lot has been written regarding the overall effect on the EPL and English football should Citeh and Chelsea find themselves relegated etc..good points but the Women's game would be similarly dragged down should the Chelsea and Citeh Ladies set ups be severely curtailed by restaints caused by any punative actions by the EPL.

With Chelsea leading the way in the Womens game and being a big part of the burgeoning interest in the Female game can the game take such a blow?

The Citeh accusations have been well documented but as yet the Chelsea "crimes" have not been detailed as far as I can see..judgement has been made by the gleeful media before charges have been brought against Chelsea,,,reporting little Johnny for nicking some apples is different from reporting little Johnny holding up a bank..if you follow my point.

Exposing alleged Chelsea misbehaviour could lead to a lot of clubs trembling and hoping no one looks too closely at them. (added..just seen Droy's Wizard of Oz reference..exactly my point.)

Edited by chara

30 minutes ago, chara said:

(added..just seen Droy's Wizard of Oz reference..exactly my point.)

I'm thinking FA/PL/FFP rules, but hugely successful football clubs.

31 minutes ago, chara said:

With Chelsea leading the way in the Womens game and being a big part of the burgeoning interest in the Female game can the game take such a blow?

Are we?  This really surprised me.
https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/womens-super-league/attendances

image.thumb.png.9f070258dacfa1933b0c97a43a266101.png

I know that Women's teams play at both the mens stadium and a smaller womans/youth ground.  But this really surprised me.
Is it explainable or do Arsenal really have much much stronger support than the rest?

2 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

I know that Women's teams play at both the mens stadium and a smaller womans/youth ground.  But this really surprised me.
Is it explainable or do Arsenal really have much much stronger support than the rest?

I think Arsenal genuinely do have a big match going support, but that and those figures have been skewed by two things. Firstly that they have played at the Emirates more often than any other women's team has played at their men's ground, and secondly that their tickets are cheaper (their £80 ST gets you all of their league home games, where our equivalent would cost a minimum of £125). They can play there and charge so little because people will go, so it's not a one-way relationship in fairness. 

4 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I think Arsenal genuinely do have a big match going support, but that and those figures have been skewed by two things. Firstly that they have played at the Emirates more often than any other women's team has played at their men's ground, and secondly that their tickets are cheaper (their £80 ST gets you all of their league home games, where our equivalent would cost a minimum of £125). They can play there and charge so little because people will go, so it's not a one-way relationship in fairness. 

Also, I think the general feel good factor around the club since they've been pushing for the men's title has spilled over to the women, hence the sell out crowd at the Emirates which has skewed the numbers. 

I'm not even sure they regularly sell out Borehamwood. 

14 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

I'm thinking FA/PL/FFP rules, but hugely successful football clubs.

My thoughts were really..on reflection...being the media interest and covering of the game...not on any crusade or agenda but the tv/media coverage has increased and is not reflected in game day attendance which is of little interest to the media...except when an attendance  "record" is broken...Emma Hayes has been media "fodder" for days on end..all exposure not seen in the not so distant past.

I am not that interested in that area of the game but admit of late have been taking far more notice of the Womens game in the Uk.... maybe the overbearing USA emphasis on the National Womens team here somewhat turned me against it,,,when I first got here it seemed everyone made a point of lauding the WC win..usual fickle fan interest due to actually winning "something" in the World game!

Edited by chara

6 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I hope , and it's a reach to be honest , that the Premier league aren't stupid enough to destroy the goose that lays the golden eggs and herald in the European super league by dint of the way they handle these events. 

I think their desire to destroy us will override everything. 

53 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

£125 for all the WSL home games.  I know it is just 11, but still.  Womens football as a business gets smaller and smaller every time I look at it.  
(Mens) Div 2 football has bigger attendances than most women's games, twice as many games and I imagine much much higher prices/

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

If I were to guess, I think we’ll get a large fine, a transfer ban and a warning that if we do it again it will be a points reduction.

There's a paragraph in Everton's judgement that says, paraphrasing, that a fine was not considered given the owner's wealth. And another that acknowledges Everton made no attempts to deceive the PL.

Assuming there is the evidence to charge, I can't see any way we don't get a point deduction. 

I am almost despondently weary of being subject to..as a Chelsea fan.. the seemingly endless war of attrition on Chelsea ,,..be it self inflicted at times...from dustbins for loose change to the present day sophisticated and concentrated pressures gladly taken in hand by the media, HMG and it seems every Football ruling body...not a poor me moan,,but,,will it never end?

4 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Again, all in good time. City owners are being investigated and will be punished.

I'd have no problem with us facing charges if they had anything to do with the people at our club, but unlike City, they don't!

At City the current owners, manager and.a lot of the players are fully aware of their massive corruption over the years. 

At Chelsea,  the current owners, manager and players have had absolutely nothing whatsoevee to do with what Roman may or may not have been doing years ago. How on earth can innocent  people be held responsible for wrong doings  by a person who is not involved with the club? Would any such charges stand up in a court for any other business?

Edited by boratsbrother

Worth a read, although clearly it’s going to be based, it makes a good point about the fact Everton and Man City have been charged whereas Chelsea currently have not. Chelsea have raised issues to the league and that’s being investigated, but no charges have yet been made, unlike the other 2 clubs in question. In fact, at the moment, most of the noise, in fact all of the noise is coming from the media.

https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/news/chelsea-points-deduction-relegation-truth-28132310

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Worth a read, although clearly it’s going to be based, it makes a good point about the fact Everton and Man City have been charged whereas Chelsea currently have not. Chelsea have raised issues to the league and that’s being investigated, but no charges have yet been made, unlike the other 2 clubs in question. In fact, at the moment, most of the noise, in fact all of the noise is coming from the media.

https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/news/chelsea-points-deduction-relegation-truth-28132310

A very hopeful media

10 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

I think the cries of relegation are purely what’s being stirred up in the press on a regular basis, will us and City be playing in the championship or league one in a years time? I strongly doubt it.

Do we deserve punishment if we’ve done wrong? Yes, I can’t be fickle, we knew for years that we were riding a wave and one day the balloon might go pop, but we’re not about to be relegated or have titles stripped, that’s hysterical talk in my opinion.  

Edited by Floyd25
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Chelsea have raised issues to the league and that’s being investigated, but no charges have yet been made, unlike the other 2 clubs in question. In fact, at the moment, most of the noise, in fact all of the noise is coming from the media.

Quite true, frankly it’s easy to play the victim card when it comes to our treatment from the press, but you can clearly see this is a media led campaign to have the book thrown at us, at least it is until actual charges are made. 

Edited by Floyd25

Just read this morning's mail online and for once there's no mention of Chelsea in their article about Everton and Man City.

Maybe the fact that Everton and City have actually been charged and so far Chelsea haven't had finally hit home , probably on the end of a solicitors letter.

4 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Just read this morning's mail online and for once there's no mention of Chelsea in their article about Everton and Man City.

Maybe the fact that Everton and City have actually been charged and so far Chelsea haven't had finally hit home , probably on the end of a solicitors letter.

The Guardian website still lumping us in with City...