Media Stories, Rumours and Gossip

JaneB

1 hour ago, chrisb said:

Scouse Sports football page has the first 18 news items all about Klopp. Can you imagine what it’s going to be like when he actually does leave! 

There might be an opening for him as a TV pundit, to redress the balance in media coverage caused by the departure of Thompson and Souness. People with Liverpool connections barely get a look-in  these days, if you ignore Reknapp, Owen ,McManamananaman and a few dozen others.

• Haha 2

Apparently both Enzo and Caicedo have deactivated their Twitter accounts at the same time. 

Might be a club recommendation bearing in mind that they've been made to be the main scapegoats for Anfield. 

10 hours ago, Ham said:

Apparently both Enzo and Caicedo have deactivated their Twitter accounts at the same time. 

Might be a club recommendation bearing in mind that they've been made to be the main scapegoats for Anfield. 

I think the club , yet again , have missed a fantastic marketing opportunity , a range of colourful picture books "Where's Enzo" the idea based on the famous Wally/Waldo brand.

I felt for Caicedo midweek he was literally up against four midfielders whilst Gallagher and Enzo were off up the other end of the pitch .

Enzo has ability but it's hampered by his lack of speed which a decent coach would help disguise , however , Enzo wants to play further forward so the cowardly lion complies .

Thinking about your post about Gallagher it wouldn't surprise me to see him sold purely because Enzo wants to be the most further forward of our midfield three and Enzo cost the club millions whereas Gallagher didnt.

Edited by Mark Kelly
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think the club , yet again , have missed a fantastic marketing opportunity , a range of colourful picture books "Where's Enzo" the idea based on the famous Wally/Waldo brand.

I felt for Caicedo midweek he was literally up against four midfielders whilst Gallagher and Enzo were off up the other end of the pitch .

Enzo has ability but it's hampered by his lack of speed which a decent coach would help disguise , however , Enzo wants to play further forward so the cowardly lion complies .

Thinking about your post about Gallagher it wouldn't surprise me to see him sold purely because Enzo wants to be the most further forward of our midfield three and Enzo cost the club millions whereas Gallagher didnt.

The Enzo wanting to play higher up has been taken a little out of context I feel and being turned into him wanting to play like a #10. 

For me it was more about having the additional freedom to get forward, like he had at Benfica and River, opposed to being shackled solely as a Jorginho replacement last season in a #6 role that required more defensive duties and less ability to get forward on occasion. 

55 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

The Enzo wanting to play higher up has been taken a little out of context I feel and being turned into him wanting to play like a #10. 

For me it was more about having the additional freedom to get forward, like he had at Benfica and River, opposed to being shackled solely as a Jorginho replacement last season in a #6 role that required more defensive duties and less ability to get forward on occasion. 

Well , all I can say is he was miles out of position midweek and left Caicedo alone against four Liverpool midfielders so he's not carrying out ANY defensive duties whatsoever.

But unsurprisingly that's a coaching issue and we haven't got one.

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

PL is too fast for the role you are trying to Champion.

More likely he will be reverted back to Jorginho role should the club decide to employ a top draw coach “if their is one brave enough to take on a project with a squad full of dolly mixtures”

Edited by ROTG
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, ROTG said:

PL is too fast for the role you are trying to Champion.

More likely he will be reverted back to Jorginho role should the club decide to employ a top draw coach 

The only place on a PL pitch where he might get the space he needs is deeper, he's certainly not getting that space as a 10 or 8 in a Pochettino side.

He might be OK in an Arsenal type side who can pop the ball around one or two touch, look at the Scandinavian midfielder they have, not blessed with pace but usually influences a game positively. But not so much this season, coaches have become more aware of him and his limitations. 

That's the problem with a lack of pace, even over 5 or so yards - you just can't get away from people to give you that yard you need.

Defensively, teams have already figured him out - just move the ball in front of yourself 2-3 yards and run after it, he'll not catch you up.

I'm afraid to say that I am leaning towards the feeling that the PL is not for him.

The situation shows just how 'clever' a player like Jorginho was/is.

Edited by east lower
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, east lower said:

The situation shows just how 'clever' a player like Jorginho was/is.

QFT indeed he was.  And much more of a team leader and captain than fans wanted to recognise.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Martin Keown talking about Liverpool on "Football focus"

"Everyone wants him (Klopp) to sign off with four trophies" 

And there you have it.

I'm surprised he could speak seeing as his mouth is normally full of bananas and he is swinging in a tyre.

• Haha 2
  • Disagree 1

7 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

And there you have it.

Wouldn't we just all love  it it if Plopp won absolutely FA?  (Not the FA Cup)

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

And there you have it.

Who defines "Everyone" ?...I have never met a true football fan of any club who would want to be included in "Everyone".

Maybe he meant "Everyone in the Media wants him to sign off with four trophies so we don't have to make an effort to earn our 13 pieces of silver,"

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, chara said:

Who defines "Everyone" ?...I have never met a true football fan of any club who would want to be included in "Everyone".

Maybe he meant "Everyone in the Media wants him to sign off with four trophies so we don't have to make an effort to earn our 13 pieces of silver,"

He’s definitely not spoken to me, I hold them in the lowest possible esteem and there’d be a glass raised every night should they never be heard of again.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, chara said:

Sorry,,,edit,,,,not earn,,,"collect 13 pieces of silver"💁‍♂️

10 hours ago, chara said:

Sorry,,,edit,,,,not earn,,,"collect 13 pieces of silver"💁‍♂️

Who cares, I am more concerned where our club is going and where the club will be in the next few years

But hey - If Klopp departure is headline news even thought he does not depart until May, and floats peoples boats then so be it

Not a person dig at you @chara unfortunately you were just the last poster on the matter

On 04/02/2024 at 16:20, blueandproud said:

Pat Nevin's had a pop in The Sun, unfortunately, he's not wrong.  Our owner and directors couldn't run a brothel! 

Not surprised at that, he got a Dear John letter a month ago from the club. Bet that he’d not have written that article two months ago. BTW I’m not saying that what he’s said is wrong but that it’s a convenient time to tell the tale.

Lots of stories emerging from the background now about Cobham and what’s supposedly happening there. All bad of course and there’ll be blow and counter blow occurring. Coaches people briefing against recruitment people, analysts briefing against players and coach, players agents briefing against just about anyone/everyone. Sounds like a proper nest of vipers.

And at the end of the above, coach always gets sacked. This time with a few others too, hopefully.

Edited by east lower
  • Like 1

Pochettino in or out? Damning info on the players, The problems we are facing, and why it might be time to revert to a back 3

A collection of my thoughts, info, sourced stuff, quotes, and much more!

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-43

5 FEB 2024
 PAID

I’ve got so much to say this morning but also, no idea how to really articulate it into articles. So I thought I would correlate it all in one place. I also have a lot of help with articles today from our amazing team on the site, who also have a lot to say and want to express their feelings on a number of situations. So it wont just be me talking at you all today and to be honest, I’m really pleased to have the help today.

First and foremost, lets speak about Mauricio Pochettino’s future at our club. 

Yesterday I asked you all to vote on your stance on Pochettino, and the results were fairly clear.

• 66% of you want him sacked now

• 25% said to ‘ask me tomorrow’

• And just 9% said no

So, it’s time for those who said ‘ask me tomorrow’ to make a decision, including me. By the way, if you’re still unsure, that is also totally fine. I don’t think it has to be a case of people being Poch in or Poch out. It’s totally OK if you want to stand on the fence right now, that’s your prerogative. 

On the fenceI can’t see me being overly vocal about it as of right now at this point, but I have decided that we probably should be sacking him now.

I’ve always been really reluctant to call for another manager to be sacked and I detest the merry-go-round, but for me there are two major things why I now think he should go.

The first is Belle Silva’s post during the game yesterday. It’s also not been deleted.

Belle Silva on X: "It’s time to change. If you wait any longer it will be too late.”

Firstly, I now think she is correct here. If we are pulling the plug on Pochettino then it HAS to be now. We can still try and save something this season and also could have a major boost for the cup final (new manager bounce is a thing).

But also, this shows me that although it is Belle posting it, clearly this is also what Thiago will be thinking, and for me that maybe tells me that the players are no longer fully behind Pochettino, at least not all of them. When that happens, there is often no way back.

I have only ever heard good things on that by the way. I think it is impossible for every single player to always like a manager, but in general, I have always heard that they do like Pochettino and he has created some good relationships with some of the players. But as always in these situations when things are toxic and we are losing games, relationships will always get seriously tested, and maybe we are now at the point where they are?

The second biggest thing for me is Pochettino’s stubbornness and his inability to be pragmatic and make changes in his tactics and also, the plain lack of tactics that this team shows. 

The finest example of this is how the midfield balance and setup was hideously found out against Liverpool, yet he uses it again and still leaves Moises Caicedo completely isolated against Wolves. Why has he not learned from his mistakes? Our left hand side was being battered by pace yesterday but he didn’t change anything. When fans can all see it but the manager cannot, that is hugely concerning.

What Pochettino should be doing right now and if he does stay, what he needs to be doing going forward, is playing to the strengths of what he has got, and for me that is moving to a back three.

I don’t love using a back three and will always prefer a back four. But when you do not have the players to play a certain system or way, then you have to adapt. And when managers do not do that, for me that is a sign of a poor manager. 

Other managers have come to Chelsea and switched formations to a back three and it has completely changed things. I’m not saying that if Poch, or another manager comes and does that now then it will be all plain sailing and we will be great again, but it will help.

Use a back three formation to protect Thiago Silva and get the best out of him, as well as giving us extra stability out wide where we are consistently getting trounced on by quick and direct players. But the main thing it does is provide support to Caicedo by putting Enzo Fernandez right next to him. Enzo as an 8 or a 10 has just quite simply, not been working. Caicedo is for me not going to be at his best as a lone DM, he needs to play as a pivot, and so does Enzo. 

Using wingbacks also brings the best out of Ben Chilwell and I even think Malo Gusto too. Chilwell thrives on being an inverted wingback and provides a lot of attacking threat when in that role. 

Using this formation will also allow us more options when playing out from the back, and it allows for us to get our best attackers also on the pitch but in their best positions. 

I’m so very concerned about the lack of number 9 in this squad, but we don’t have one and that’s firmly on the SD’s, so I’d go with something like this moving forward for the rest of the season:

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.ama

This allows Cole Palmer and Christopher Nkunku to play inverted and get on the ball in those central areas where they can operate best, and it also allows solid wing play from both Gusto (Reece James when he is back and fit) overlapping. 

But the most important thing about it is that it gives us more defensive stability when Gusto and Chilwell drop in to defend as well because after all, we have conceded 8 goals in our last 2 matches, 4 of them coming at home against another mid-table side. 

We need to do something, and we need to get the best out of what we have. Right now, these lot cannot play in a back 4 formation.

By the way, I don’t think for one minute and in fact I know 100% that Pochettino wont doing anything like this. He wont even drop his favourites that need to be dropped right now. And again, that’s just another reason why he should probably be sacked now.

And finally, my last point on why I now think Pochettino should be sacked, is that in all honesty, even though some of the players have been poor and the squad build has been naive at best, there’s no way that we should be doing as badly as we are currently doing. Being sat in 11th place on the 5th of February is unacceptable whether we think the squad is good enough or not. It’s good enough to be in a better position than where we are at right now. Yes we’ve got to a cup final and there has certainly been other improvements that we have seen, but the trajectory has just not been enough for this point in the season.

I don’t think I will actively be shouting ‘POCH OUT’ in this moment, because I was an advocate for his appointment and I do believe that his man-management style was needed for such a young squad. Also, I don’t hate the guy, and I’ve been willing him on to succeed here.

But I have to hold my hands up now and say that OK, maybe he wasn’t the right guy after all, and the club also need to hold their hands up now (yet again).

This is all after having slept on it so it’s not just an emotional reaction. I’ve also taken other things into account like he hasn’t created a connection with the fanbase at all, and he hasn’t even tried to. He doesn’t ever go and clap fans after games, even after a win, and it’s those little things that helps you create a connection with the fanbase. He seems to lack that passion, something I actually fully believed he would have, at least.

But also his fumbling around in press conferences and clearly being a yes man to the board *even though I do get that in a way - but heclearly needed to be firmer with what he wanted in the transfer windows). All of that has just effected my thoughts this morning as I have slept on it all.

Don’t get me wrong though, a lot of my blame is also on the owners and the SDs and actually, MORE of the blame. After all, they are the ones who have put all of this into place and are the ones who have made the final decisions on managers, coaches, and the players.

The squad build has been massively naive. I wont go into that too much again as I’ve said this a lot lately. But they have built a squad that may or may not come good in the future, but have completely ignored the here and the now, and have completely ignored the type of profiles that the manager wanted and has publicly asked for. 

That’s why I said that if we aren’t listening to what the manager wants, at least to a certain extent, then what’s the point? 

None of these decision makers have ever had experience building a squad, they have only ever been either good business people, or good scouts. And now they are suddenly gutting an entire team (which needed to happen and we did great selling some of those players), and replacing them with a whole new team, without having any actual experience of doing so? That’s just pure madness. This wasn’t just any old team either, this was Chelsea FC, a huge Premier League club. It’s just crazy when you take a step back and look what has happened here at this club with all of that, and it’s no wonder that yet another manager is under immense pressure here.

Will replacing Pochettino help anything at all? Who really knows? The squad has been assembled with huge naivety and at times, stupidity. What manager will come in and want to manage that and lead this ‘project’? I have no clue. 

People have called for Jose Mourinho but imagine him with this board? Jose would ask for similar signings to what Pochettino has asked for, would he get them? Poch didn’t. Jose will certainly not be a yes man, that’s for sure. Then does it all become toxic yet again when we lose a few games and off goes another manager? Probably. 

I’d not be against Jose as an interim if he would accept that, but I’m not sure he would. I’d also want to put John Terry as his assistant if that happened. But as the new long-term option, for me that only spells out disaster and fallouts between the manager and the board. 

They will want a manager now who will come in and tell them that they can make it work with this squad that has been assembled. Who is that? I have no idea.

The club is completely broken right now, and far too many mistakes have been made, some might even say to the point of no return.

You’ve got a fully toxic fanbase who are now booing their own players and calling for former owners and former managers to come back, chanting it at every game. 

You’ve got people like me who have supported this club for 35 years now just completely numb to it all and finding ourselves detesting everything about the club from top to bottom. 

And you’ve collectively got an entire fanbase who all are pointing fingers of blame to the manager, the players, and the owners/SD’s, and there are massive problems with ALL three of them.

Alex Goldberg, a popular Chelsea content creator, did a Podcast yesterday, and some of the quotes were sent to me from a community member on here. As you know, Alex speaks to people connected to the club, so you know that there is likely to be weight to what he puts out.

• Players don’t do extra training after work and can’t wait to go home

• Sports scientists saying they’re all overweight and clunky - running stats are all down. Enzo and Caicedo’s weight gone up, he used the words “doughy”

• Performance analysts been asked to reduce packages due to incapable to receive criticism.

• We’ve recruited heavily from teams who play positional football and the players don’t know what to do outside of the circuits

• Someone whose been at Chelsea for 15 years, the consensus is we’ve got the worse group of players he’s seen, they have no idea on how to play as a team

• Recruitment has four different voices and four different directions with them knowing no high quality been bought

• Gone too high on potential, loose words on potential we’ve not got many good footballers right now

This is so damning, if true of course (likely is). 

This is exactly what many of us have been saying though. They have signed individuals with talent who still need to develop, but they have not recruited a team for the here and now. They cannot play together. It’s like throwing a bunch of ingredients together yet none of it matches up, and then trying to make something tasty with it.

There are too many cooks at this club now and not one head chef. Chelsea need a head chef. They need a head DOF who has experience of building a squad worthy of challenging in the Premier League. Until they get that, then we have serious issues. Too many voices, too many people probably thinking that their voice is the right one and others are not. Not enough cohesion. Not enough smart decision making. Too much emphasis on data and not taking into account real world things like maturity, proven experience, attitudes, eye tests, how they will work with other players, position specifics, where they fit in, will they be what the manager needs, how much time will they need to succeed, and so much more. We just aren’t being smart enough.

The thing he says about the training standards and players putting on weight really does surprise me. Because all we have heard about Pochettino’s training regime is how exhausting and intense it is. So this would suggest that when the players are away from Cobham that they are not looking after themselves? Or is it really that Pochettino' and his staff are not actually as disciplinary as what is suggested? Who knows, but it’s not a good look at all.

For what it’s worth, I haven’t heard anything on any of the above either way. Doesn’t mean it’s inaccurate though, far from it.

I have heard that some of the players have been annoyed with some of the negotiations with contracts and situations such as Mason Mount and Conor Gallagher. Mount still has pals at this club, and his whole contract situation didn’t go down well.

Also things like what has happened with Armando Broja - he basically wanted to stay but then didn’t see any other choice but to leave. I have much more on this situation but I’m not allowed to report it right now. But either way, it’s not a good look for those handling him, whether you rate Broja or not. The human side of it all is not cool.

For me, I think Poch needs to go, but then if he is being sacked because of poor performance, surely others in recruitment need to go because of poor performance too? If you’re sacking Poch, then you HAVE to sack others too. It’s not all on the manager, FAR from it. 

It’s bleak and really, I would LOVE to hear from the owners right now offering some explanations, plans, what they are thinking, and taking some responsibility. Because really, their 18 months in charge so far has been a total shambles and a total circus. We know that wont happen though. 

Take actions, cut some under performers out (and I mean board level and not just Poch), and go and find a football person as your new DOF to oversee things and sign off on all decisions, someone who is more than just a decent scout. And also, maybe listen to your manager a bit too, you know, the one you spent months and months deciding to employ?

Sigh. I’m exhausted.

Simon Phillips

SDs HAVE to go, Poch WILL go & I expect A LOT more chopping and changing before we see on the pitch improvements again

The manager will always get the blame and he does deserve elements of it, BUT the SDs are getting away with murder right now.

5 FEB 2024

Good Afternoon Ladies and Gents,

I am sure you will be reading multiple reports, articles & stories of similar means today! All of us here at SPTC are probably all writing similar but differing opinions.

Here’s my thoughts on where we are at, what should happen and what needs to happen……..

Firstly, Poch is getting the vast majority of the stick and abuse from fans and the media and he does deserve some of it for his tactical and negligent approach to our last couple of matches. BUT he is far away from being the biggest party to blame.

Away from the Football side we have hired some of the very best people at their jobs in the world improved further today by the acquisition of Todd Kilne, but on the Football side we have hired 2 SDs that are undoubtedly very good at spotting raw, young talent but have awful squad building capabilities, which has left us back in the same situation they left us after the winter transfer window last year, with only a Carabao Cup final to differentiate.

Out of the 18 players we have signed since January 2023 they have a combined 108 senior international appearances (at 31st December 2023), at an average of just 6 per player, with Caicedo earning 38 of those, over a 3rd. 4 players have never played for their national team and only 4 have 10+ caps. This shows an incredible lack of experience.

This goes to show the absolutely awful job of squad building the SDs have done, there is not one natural leader in the list of 18 players and bar Caicedo the most caps any of those players had before joining Chelsea was 10, that is a staggering stat for me.

Before we get to this summer, we NEED to do the following things in my mind (not including Poch as will speak below on that);

1. Get rid of the SDs

2. Replace with Mitchell or Edwards, or anyone with proven squad building and project management capabilities

3. Pre-plan sales and loans for development

4. Make a plan with our 7 overseas loans, do not waste them

These things above, upon others need to be resolved/planned ASAP. 

On to Poch…….

Like I have mentioned above, it is not entirely his fault but his negligent approach in the last couple of games is undefendable. We turnt up to Anfield looking like we would be happy to get out of their without a drumming and like we had already been beaten, we were very poor, the approach was awful, there was no tactics and the only thing I don’t really blame him for was the lineup, because there was nothing more he could do with the likes of Gusto, Carney & Nkunku all returning from reoccurring injury issues. The 11 on the pitch looked like they had been sent out their with one task and they couldn’t even do that……..

On to Wolves, and I have never been so happy (with hindsight) that my Fiancé had booked an afternoon out at the time of a Chelsea game, it meant other than goal notifications I managed to block out seeing any clips/highlights, the twitter meltdown and the performance as a whole. I’m not massively in to torture so I have decided against watching the entire game back and have only watched back the 3 minute highlights video that Sky Sports release and that was more than enough. 

From what I have read it was pretty abysmal and you are probably all a lot more better placed to comment on that than me, one thing I will say which is incredibly frustrating is the only actual passage of play we seemed to have in the game was beautiful for the Palmer goal it was such a nice move. Our defending looked shambolic, Thiago Silva was defending the channel, 2 deflected goals is poor from everyone involved and the substitutions are as uninspiring as ever, YES I got all of that from a 3-minute clip. I FEEL for anyone who endured that 90 minutes yesterday.

Should he be sacked? 

Maybe, when the pressure is on like it has been you have to be proactive and not reactive like he has been.

Is it all his fault?

Absolutely not, he definitely has a share of the blame and a decent size of that. However, multiple things haven’t gone the way of his requests or how he clearly wanted them to for example, we have one actual out and out number 9 who is now on loan at Fulham, he requested a replacement IF we were to allow Broja to move he hasn’t received one, this is ONE OF MANY things Poch has requested and not received.

Will he be sacked? 

YES, at some point it will happen, it could be today, tomorrow or even next week, it takes a lot to come back from something like this and I just cannot see a redemption arc like that coming.

Would I sack him?

Yes & No, I have been quite vocal on Poch in terms of giving him bits of credit when I believe he deserves some, which he had deserved credit for certain aspects of his management. I will also be open and honest when he deserves to be questioned and right now he is definitely on thin ice, there is nothing I dislike more than when a team turns up to not lose or not get stuffed and away at Anfield last week was the first time I really really questioned Poch, with yesterday on top of that it puts him on thin ice for me.

Who replaces him?

This is one of the biggest issues for me, I hate the hire & fire approach it is so tedious and pointless to me, yet we have had such great success with it in the past. The HUGE difference now is that we don’t have a dressing room of seasoned pro’s. We have a dressing room of impressionable raw talent and the constant changes of managers and philosophies will only halt their development and see us go backwards in my view.

I wouldn’t touch De Zerbi or Brighton with a barge pole, I know next to nothing about Michel Sanchez, Alonso is all but set for Liverpool, Zidane (3 years out of the game) has only ever worked with incredible, world-class players which is far from where we are, Xavi is a big no from me and Ruben Amorim I know little bits about and he is a very good manager and I know the board like him but I am not sure he is what we need right now.

That brings us onto Jose…. I don’t want him to come back and I might be in the small minority, but my reasons are valid (in my mind), firstly I just don’t want him to come in to the middle of this shit show, He could tarnish his legacy more and more and I would worry about him requesting players etc and not getting them he will just end up walking away.

I am underwhelmed in terms of Managers being linked with us, I can’t lie.

I would seriously be considering speaking to Frank Lampard and seeing if he would consider becoming a DOF or something similar, also I would be asking the next manager if he would like John Terry as part of his backroom staff……

Thank you all for reading, as always I want to hear your views on everything so please comment!

Luke Rushbrook