Media Stories, Rumours and Gossip

JaneB

He posted a comment once on a forum which was suggesting that he brought a lighter, comedic touch to sports reporting. I borrowed the Sheridan quote that a joke in Glenddening's hands is no laughing matter.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, chrisb said:

If you like Marmite and also peanut butter then this is the future….it’s amazing!!

7401AE78-7DBF-4E36-AE56-ABD1AD818190.thumb.jpeg.3ef3e5569de56624ed6dd85b561d00ca.jpeg

OMG Chris..tried to stay away from such divisive issues but I consider (MHO) peanut butter the work of the Underworld and for all the USA bashing around the World..justified or not as the case may be..the foisting on real people of such a strange dangerous mixture is enough to justify any Yank bashing..... 

I'm in the Marmite Camp and am horrified ay the above..

Hmm...anyone remember Camp Coffee...a whole questionable buried history of abuse.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, chara said:

Camp Coffee

Had to be a 60’s coffee shop owned by Kenneth Williams.  

If only camp coffee had only crossed either Nathan Lane / Robin Williams paths I am sure it would have been in a scene of the film birdcage. “It is a top film BTW”

Edited by ROTG
On yes WIMPEY and frothy coffee.
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Was that like "Roger the cabin boy" from Captain Pugwash? 

Urban legend! Much like “Seaman Stains”! 

The cabin boy was actually called Tom and there was no Seaman by the name of Stains, doesn’t have the same comedic value though.
What happened on the Black Pig stayed on the Black Pig 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

Master Bates never existed, either - probably a good job, he’d just have abused himself.

Really wound up about the game so appro nothing and a slight connection to the "cabin boy" myth,,,,anyone else know about a restaurant in Paris.."Roger Le Grenouille"...and their speciality dessert?

(Stress relief effort!)

On 17/04/2023 at 20:01, boratsbrother said:

Marmite is up there with Barley Wine as the nastiest thing I've ever tasted.🤪

Truly disgusting stuff which should be forced fed to prisoners every day. 

Marmite, you either love it or hate it , and I bloody hate it!  Absolutely vile stuff., I wouldn't clean my shoes with it!

No wonder we "distrust" all media outlets and perhaps why USA struggles with  REAL football etc.

Just read a fluff piece about the preseason tournament over here featuring Manure Wrexham Chelsea...with a headline and bolden entry that states  something like .."..but Wrexham and Chelsea have never played each other."

Means I must have been dreaming or misinformed of the opponents when I attended the "Chelsea Fans Banned" FA Cup game back in the day and Eddie N wasn't in goal for Wrexham and Steve Francis for Chelsea...OG memory fault?

• Agree 1

On 18/04/2023 at 15:03, ROTG said:

Marmite Chilli 🌶 is a must, especially with cheese in a sandwich. 

You see, while I don't reject that out of hand I have to say that, rather like the blue low salt version (I mean what's the point?) it tends not to spead as smoothly as original (and I'm pretty sure they've altered that in the last 5 years or so too).

My first degree was in microbiology back in the 80's and I don't know if this is well known or not, but back then the price of Marmite shot up. The reason for this was the UK's beer preference switching from beer to lager. Marmite is yeast extract which used to be skimmed off the top of beer fermentation. The yeast that ferments lager does so at the bottom of the fermentation vessel so there is less yeast to skim. At that point Marmite ceased to be effectively a byproduct and prices shot up. While I don't use this qualification any more it left me with a thousand ice breakers at parties.

I'll get my coat..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 20/04/2023 at 18:11, chara said:

No wonder we "distrust" all media outlets and perhaps why USA struggles with  REAL football etc.

The other thing to bear in mind is that in Murca after a game everyone and their brother end up in the locker room so it probably didn't seem out of place for the Clearlake boys to rock up and shoot their mouths off. Who's to say which is right, wrong or inappropriate? I'm sure all of us would have liked to vent our opinions on the squad at some point during the season. Maybe it's not the done thing in England at the moment however the players no longer have a slice of orange at half time or go to the pub after the game for a pie and a fag either.