Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

I look forward to seeing how Klopp spins this one... he's so often said how Liverpool can't compete in the same market as others and that they can't spend the kind of money City, Chelsea and United do and yet, they are about to break the British transfer record... awkward.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Now we are likely to see a midfield of;

Enzo, Adams, Gallagher and Santos.

Is that good enough for us? Perhaps. Will Ugochukwu stay on now? Perhaps. But we instantly look more vulnerable in midfield. 

If we’re aiming for top 4,  I would say it’s nowhere near personally. 

24 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

I'd rather just give that playing time to Santos then spend £50m on a player that shown promise but looked incredibly raw in a relegated side. 

Lavia's defensive ability has always been under the microscope a little, playing for a poor Southampton side last season of course maybe covered over it a little at times, but whenever I've seen him it's not been an aspect of his game that's impressed me personally. Then if you go down the statistical path it marries up further, which is why I consider him an Enzo alternative than anyone we should be targeting to partner him as a DM.

Adams makes more sense from a fit and profile perspective. He's actually a defensive player that'll take up a defensive role, so for the £20m he'll cost us it's a good move. That being said, we ideally get someone else in so we have two genuine options for the role and can avoid the old chestnut of plugging gaps like we've had to do in the past whenever Jorginho wasn't in the side. 

Or indeed whenever he was in the side !

43 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

But would be better than no option.

It's interesting that you think he is so bad defensively, it's one of the things that impressed me about him whenever I saw him.

I've been told this morning that Pochettino was never keen on Caicedo and is one of the reasons we haven't matched the offer. He wants a proper DM to play alongside Enzo and is pushing for Tyler Adams.

To add to this, apparently Pochettino was 100% against spending a huge part of our budget on one player when we are so short in midfield.

We need quality, obviously, but far more importantly we need numbers.

We literally have Enzo 

This one is painful. 

Caceido is 21 and has all the hallmarks of being a world class player. Rare to have a player with the skill set he has. A true Makelele/Kante calibre player. But what makes this one tough to swallow is that he is exactly what we needed to get back on top. 110M is a lot of money though. I can’t blame the ownership for being slow to close. 

1 minute ago, Oslo blue said:

This one is painful. 

Caceido is 21 and has all the hallmarks of being a world class player. Rare to have a player with the skill set he has. A true Makelele/Kante calibre player. But what makes this one tough to swallow is that he is exactly what we needed to get back on top. 110M is a lot of money though. I can’t blame the ownership for being slow to close. 

£110m is way too much. What is frustrating in all this is that Chelsea spent the whole summer "in talks"...or so we were led to believe.

36 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I look forward to seeing how Klopp spins this one... he's so often said how Liverpool can't compete in the same market as others and that they can't spend the kind of money City, Chelsea and United do and yet, they are about to break the British transfer record... awkward.

Edited by Miguelito07
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

To be fair, he isn’t going to have much choice if Brighton have accepted Liverpools offer but not ours. Liverpool is still a very big move for him, so why wouldn’t he take it?

He'll love Liverpool until the first away game when his house is robbed 

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Tbf, they've made about £60m on Fabinho and Henderson and freed up loads of wages with most of their midfield leaving. They're probably in a financial position they didn't expect to be in, and a more desperate one.

I don't think we can spin this at all as a success. We wanted a player, made it publicly clear, clearly thought we had a free run and so could grind the selling club down, and have been blindsided late on.

I hope we steer well clear of Lavia, don't see that he adds anything at all when we already have expensive, inexperienced young midfielders.

I said before to walk away and personally I am glad we have , Caicedo has had one decent season in top flight football , there is no universe where he's worth £110m , let that gurning , moaning fraud Klopp have him to go with the forty other players he hasn't signed because he does things differently.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Klopp is one of the biggest hypocrites in the league - so obviously he fits like hand in glove at Anfield. 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I said before to walk away and personally I am glad we have , Caicedo has had one decent season in top flight football , there is no universe where he's worth £110m , let that gurning , moaning fraud Klopp have him to go with the forty other players he hasn't signed because he does things differently.

If we put any stock in reports (and it is a big if tbf) we haven't walked away. We've been outbid. We don't have our heads held high here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Klopp is one of the biggest hypocrites in the league - so obviously he fits like hand in glove at Anfield. 

100% - the guy is a nasty piece of work (dont know him personally). His behaviour on the touch line however is bordering on abuse - and yet he gets away with it.

Liverpool recently and quite unexpectedly received £55m from Saudi Arabia for Jordan Henderson and Fabinho. I doubt they'd have been able to bid this much for Caicedo otherwise. 

I fully expect Caicedo to be brilliant for Liverpool. Especially with McCallister alongside him. It is an absurd amount of money... but part of me says, so what? I'd rather have the pleasure of seeing him line up for Chelsea than the pleasure of muttering "at least we didn't spend 110m on him!" under my breath every time I watch him bossing the midfield for Liverpool.

Edited by Spawton
  • Like 1

Why are you guys talking about transfers? Who says we've bid? Who says we even want Caicedo? I haven't seen a statement on the official Chelsea website saying we're interested in Caicedo so please stop speculating on something that isn't fact. 

Am I doing this right? 

Edited by Bison
  • Haha 4

"Liverpool have agreed a British-record transfer fee with Brighton for midfielder Moises Caicedo. The fee is understood to be worth £110m, with Caicedo set to travel to Liverpool on Friday for a medical. Brighton set a deadline for midnight on Thursday for bids to come in - and provided their valuation was met, they would go with the highest bidder. Liverpool formally submitted their proposal late on Thursday night after Caicedo indicated his willingness to move to Anfield."

Apparently Bayern offered £90m

Looks like that's that. Personally, I don't see that he's worth that. Still it is what it is. Brighton got their money, Liverpool paid way over the odds and we can concentrate on developing Tyler Adams. Leaves us more money in the kitty for the remaining players the manager wants.

In a way I'm relieved we don't have another player with a huge price tag for the media to bash us over the head with when he fails to perform.

Edited by Holymoly
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

If we put any stock in reports (and it is a big if tbf) we haven't walked away. We've been outbid. We don't have our heads held high here.

Well, either way , I'm glad we weren't Brighton's patsy this time around , if he's a £110m player I'm a Dutchman. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Well, either way , I'm glad we weren't Brighton's patsy this time around , if he's a £110m player I'm a Dutchman. 

That's the rub though, isn't it. He is a £110m player, because that is what someone is going to pay for him. And I think it was always obvious to everyone he was going to cost something like that. We just thought we had a free run at him and could wear Brighton down. Hubris.

The concern for me is less Caicedo specifically and more we've identified a pressing destroyer DM type as a priority this summer, gone for two world-leaders there, and lost out on both because of money. All the while spending (I would say wasting) money on young players who are, at very best, years and a whole lot of good fortune away, from ever being good enough for us.

We could have made this happen if we'd spent money more wisely and didn't have a delusionally inflated sense of the power we have in the market. That is the concern, much more so than losing out on Caicedo. 

• Like 2

I have been saying for the last fortnight we should walk away from this one. Liverpool have caved to fan pressure here if you ask me. The fans have not been happy with their lack of transfer dealings, FSG have been getting in the neck and they have caved into spending money like this. They are getting a very good player, but they are not getting an elite player, yet paying elite level money.

Adams may not have the full scope for improvement that Caicedo has, but at a £90m differential in cost and considering that Adams is arguably a better fit for what we need right now, I am much happier with the Adams deal instead of the Caicedo deal.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3