Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

23 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

They weren't all purchased to provide immediate improvement upon signing, everyone acknowledges this besides yourself - conveniently enough. 

So what was the point of signing the in January if the were not for the immediate improvement because at the time the club  was plummeting like a lead balloon or are you of the opinion TBSD said, this season is gone, let’s buy some mediocre players for the new coach we will hire in the summer?

4 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

At the moment Boehly’s relationship building with the Saudis is looking like a stroke of genius. At first I thought - what the hell’s he messing around out there for?

Have preached around that region, they do not give without wanting something in return. 

10 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

If it means we get rid of Ziyech , Aubemayang  , Koulibally and Mendy , make thanks to your god.

Maybe Todd can ask them to sponsor the team shirts though one of their many outlets. 

Edited by ROTG

1 minute ago, ROTG said:

So what was the point of signing the in January if the were not for the immediate improvement because at the time the club  was plummeting like a lead balloon or are you of the opinion TBSD said, this season is gone, let’s buy some mediocre players for the new coach we will hire in the summer?

To sign these young players before others could. That way we've got them on board already as we move forward in a new direction, all part of our rebuilding process. Now we don't need to find replacements for the dross like Pulisic, Ziyech and co while also needing to fill the other key areas of need. It's called forward planning.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

They are getting something in return , Mendy , Aubameyang, Ziyech , Koulibally and Kante !

I don’t think TB will be shaking many hands in the future if that the gift he is giving

Edited by ROTG

13 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

To sign these young players before others could.

Which other top clubs were looking at D Forfana, Madueke, Enzo, Badiashile. 

Only the Arse we’re looking at Mudryk and for some insane reason the TBSD decided to gazump them and look what the club ended up with for the next 8 years

Edited by ROTG

6 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Only the Arse we’re looking at Mudryk and for some insane reason the TBSD decided to gazump them and look what the club ended up with for the next 8 years

You really need to give this up , Madueke , Badiashille and Enzo are already showing promise and are definitely good players , D Forfana played about ten minutes of one game and in that time he looked more of a "striker" than anyone currently at the club. 

The only one who has disappointed so far is Mudryk and he's shown his quality previously in the Champions League , he , like many of them will benefit from coaching that holds fitness and desire to do well,  more important  than pastoral care .

Edited by Mark Kelly
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

It's something a few oppo fans have zoned in on already on Twitter and their motivations are mostly simply partisan, but something to consider with all these Saudi links is that it appears PIF buy the players and then distribute them across the league. The same PIF who apparently have a 20% stake in Clearlake, who manage almost limitless Saudi wealth.

I'm not all that sure what to make of this.

Or a 5% investment portfolio, depending on which report you choose to believe. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Football is all about money and if the players can make more there, for many that will be an easy choice. Just look at Ruben Neves... He could have had a big move on the cards but chose to finish his career over there at 26. Ridiculous. 

In regards to him in particular, he moved from Porto (in the CL) to Wolves (in the Champonship) a few years ago. Clear where his priorities are, which is a shame because when he became Porto captain at 18, he could and should have gone on to be an elite CM for a top European side

12 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

He’s a good player. There’ll be clubs after him. Oscar…isn’t so good in my view. 

I’m inclined to agree but when the money is dangled in front of you…

Oscar had 48 Brazil caps by the age of 24. Zero thereafter, when he moved to China.  Neves, 26 years old and 40 Portuguese caps. 

Oscar was miles ahead of Neves in just about all metrics possible, but he killed his career (from an achievement POV) for money. His choice. 

10 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

With a bit of luck, that'll be Koulibaly, Aubameyang and Ziyech off to Saudi clubs paying us more than we might reasonably have expected; especially as most other "interested" clubs were looking at loans, or in the case of Barca and Auba, us releasing him on a free.

7 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

Our business dealings with Saudi clubs really have angered a lot of people it seems, oh dear, hopefully the experts on social media won’t report us to the premier league. 

In all seriousness, I wouldn’t ever put my club on a moral pedestal, but neither would I have any sympathy for rival fans shedding tears about us, a year ago they were chomping at the bit at the fact that we could go out of business. Anyway, a certain club still has 115 charges against them, we seem like the wrong team for people to point fingers at right now, but I wouldn’t expect anything less. 

33 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

It's something a few oppo fans have zoned in on already on Twitter and their motivations are mostly simply partisan, but something to consider with all these Saudi links is that it appears PIF buy the players and then distribute them across the league. The same PIF who apparently have a 20% stake in Clearlake, who manage almost limitless Saudi wealth.

Answering the above 3 posts in one. It is crystal clear to me that this year's spending by Clearlake was done 100% in the knowledge that PIF were going to splurge, and splurge on the players on we want rid of. 

If anyone thinks that it is a mere coincidence that these Saudis are paying over the odds for the 3 or 4 players we are most keen to get rid of, whilst making no attempt to buy any of the players we want to keep, then I admire your innocence. 

3 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Brighton were after Fofana, which explains why he ended up here.

Spurs were after Madueke.

We bought Enzo in January to avoid losing him to Real / City this summer.

Badiashile, I don't know of any but he has played really well, and looks an excellent signing. 

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

You really need to give this up , Madueke , Badiashille and Enzo are already showing promise and are definitely good players , D Forfana played about ten minutes of one game and in that time he looked more of a "striker" than anyone currently at the club. 

The only one who has disappointed so far is Mudryk and he's shown his quality previously in the Champions League , he , like many of them will benefit from coaching that holds fitness and desire to do well higher than pastoral care .

I thought this forum was about opinions or do we have to tow the party line?

The club has signed mediocre players and coaches in the past two transfer windows taking the club from a top 4 regular to mid table side with the same mindset at both playing and boardroom level.  

Not one buy under TB or TBSD has made any impact, in fact most have regressed, and are probably no better than some of the player we have on loan.

As I said let’s see what happens in August with Poch if I am wrong i will more that happy to put my had up. However as I have said before Poch is a good coach but not a miracle worker.  

26 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Finishing 12th  in the league with 44pts is real forward planning don’t you think?

Take a special someone to not comprehend that forward planning looks beyond the present season, yet here we are. 

18 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Aston Villa had shown interest in Madueke, along with Liverpool having kept track of him going back a bit further.

Brighton were interested in D.Fofana.

Liverpool, Man Utd, Barcelona had all been linked with Enzo prior to us.

Badiashile had drawn interest from Newcastle, Atletico Madrid, and Man Utd - confirmed by their manager that it wasn't just us interested. 

57 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

My understanding is that PIF have some of their assets managed by Clearlake.

So they are simply just clients of Clearlake who have about 300 very big clients.

Then in you have a good relationship with your clients why not use that in doing some good deals for both sides - them getting Kante, Ziyech, Koulibaly (AND HOPEFULLY LUKAKU) 🙂

16 minutes ago, Ham said:

Or a 5% investment portfolio, depending on which report you choose to believe. 

Excactly, it's just bonkers how hard is to distinguish the truth and facts on social media and those tabloids. It's really hard work, which should be the job of proper journalists!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Take a special someone to not comprehend that forward planning looks beyond the present season, yet here we are. 

I understand you need to break a few eggs to make an omelette but not the entire contents of a chicken coop. 

So how many seasons and coaches does the fans have to wait until they start seeing this future planning and delivering top 4, silverware or a title on table. Like the old boring rubbish set of players you want out the door but delivered season after season. 

Edited by ROTG

9 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Aston Villa had shown interest in Madueke, along with Liverpool having kept track of him going back a bit further.

Brighton were interested in D.Fofana.

Liverpool, Man Utd, Barcelona had all been linked with Enzo prior to us.

Badiashile had drawn interest from Newcastle, Atletico Madrid, and Man Utd - confirmed by their manager that it wasn't just us interested. 

I assume these are the same sources that say we are selling all our dud players to Saudi teams?

11 minutes ago, ROTG said:

I thought this forum was about opinions or do we have to tow the party line?

The club has signed mediocre players and coaches in the past two transfer windows taking the club from a top 4 regular to mid table side with the same mindset at both playing and boardroom level.  

Not one buy under TB or TBSD has made any impact, in fact most have regressed, and are probably no better than some of the player we have on loan.

As I said let’s see what happens in August with Poch if I am wrong i will more that happy to put my had up. However as I have said before Poch is a good coach but not a miracle worker.  

Don't be silly of course you're allowed an opinion , it just seems to be an odd hill to die on considering that everyone was rubbish last season , that will happen when they're not fit and not coached , particularly when the four I mentioned were clearly bought for the future and due to how utterly desperate our regulars were they were then thrown into the deep end.

3 minutes ago, Bones said:

My understanding is that PIF have some of their assets managed by Clearlake.

So they are simply just clients of Clearlake who have about 300 very big clients.

Then in you have a good relationship with your clients why not use that in doing some good deals for both sides - them getting Kante, Ziyech, Koulibaly (AND HOPEFULLY LUKAKU) 🙂

Regarding Lukaku.  Chelsea should be in a position to be able to sue either Lukaku or Inter.  How can it be right to pay £100m and then the player force his way back to the selling club and publically announce that you don't want to play for the club that paid £100m for you and only want to join the selling club that can't afford you!  The whole situation stinks and I can't see how Inter or Lukaku aren't breaching contracts.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, ROTG said:

They all regressed, and not just the new signings, literally every single player at the club regressed under Potter and Frank and it's hardly surprising considering how poor both are as football managers.

Reece James is world class, if he's not the very best in the world, which I personally think he is, he is very close. By his standards he was awful last season.

If you can acknowledge the fact that we had poor coaching all season, which I think you do, look at how all our players, new and old, performed then there is a case that some of, maybe all, the new signings should at least be given the benefit of doubt until we see how they perform under a proper set up with proper coaching and a proper manager in charge.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Don't be silly of course you're allowed an opinion , it just seems to be an odd hill to die on considering that everyone was rubbish last season , that will happen when they're not fit and not coached , particularly when the four I mentioned were clearly bought for the future and due to how utterly desperate our regulars were they were then thrown into the deep end.

Yeah - Unfortunately the club is not buying or hiring like for like replacements to continue in the mould of the club for delivering something nearly every season.

I am not against bring in potential as long as the base is solid, which unfortunately is not the case and something TB and Co. are trying to sweep under the carpet.