Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

3 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Unexpected. We’ll do well to offload him or Pulisic in this window to be fair. Be interested to see what the price is.

Ziyech and Achraf Hakimi combined well down the right hand side for Morocco during the World Cup. I imagine PSG are hoping for more of the same. The French league should suit Ziyech, where he'll get a bit more time on the ball. I can see this as more likely to get done than Gallagher to Everton or Jorginho to Arsenal

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Reports suggesting that once we get Enzo we’re going back in for Caicedo… surely not.

Yes, I've seen those too.

So much for all those fans of other teams who thought we'd just disappear into nothingness if Roman ever left! This even crazier than that first transfer window under Abramovich!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Maybe it's me, but we have a large squad now and don't seem to be selling anyone (much).

It was always going to be the case of getting the players we needed in first. Some of those potentially in the 'OUT' box are injured/returning from injury, so with numbers on the thin side at the start of the window, it was a 'see who we can get in first, then clear the deadwood' scenario.

We've tried to get rid of Bakayoko - a Turkish club were interested, we offered to terminate his contract so that he could join on a free, and after initial interest from him, he's seemingly now said no to the switch.

Looks like we're open to offers for others... Gallagher, Jorginho and Ziyech all linked with moves today. I'm sure at least one will go. Then the big clear-out in the summer.

Transfer related and a bit more..

One of the reasons for Frank's dismissal...I say one as other factors of course..was the failure of the three major signings that came in and failed to reach the expected level of performance...for what ever reason.

Double edged sword as ever....being optomistic I am looking forward to a revitalised Chelsea and exciting new players..BUT....if GP soars with the new Chelsea everything will be fine (still have doubts that GP can handled a high octane squad) but if he stumbles I see a very quick exit.

I don't see our new Leaders being less than ruthless....

Gallagher Ampadou Trev CHO all $$ sales opportunities...good young future high level journeymen..not an insult.....take the money!!!!

• Like 1

REALLY surprised at the reluctance from so many to sell Jorginho.  He will be gone in 4 months regardless, so it’s either get £10m - £20m now or lose him for free when he could join one of our rivals anyway.  Besides, does he even improve Arsenal??  

We are out of 3/4 competitions and Enzo would be guaranteed to start any CL game we play. 

I’m not going to pretend that he’d be top of the list I’d look to sell, but sometimes you have to react to an opportunity.  And this for me is a no-brainer (providing we get Enzo) 

44 minutes ago, Rob B said:

REALLY surprised at the reluctance from so many to sell Jorginho.  He will be gone in 4 months regardless, so it’s either get £10m - £20m now or lose him for free when he could join one of our rivals anyway.  Besides, does he even improve Arsenal??  

We are out of 3/4 competitions and Enzo would be guaranteed to start any CL game we play. 

I’m not going to pretend that he’d be top of the list I’d look to sell, but sometimes you have to react to an opportunity.  And this for me is a no-brainer (providing we get Enzo) 

Jorginho to Arsenal will be like Luiz and Willian to Arsenal.

32 minutes ago, Rob B said:

There's a couple ways to look at a potential Jorginho sale. One is the viewpoint you've shared, which is that we're possibly able to net a transfer fee for a player that looks increasingly like he'll be allowed to leave on a free at seasons end. 

Some of the other factors which can generate hesitancy is that first and foremost its Arsenal. While we've sold to them in the past, it's a little different at present with them being top of the table and arguably favourites to win the league. From a playing perspective Jorginho is a seamless fit for the football they play. They've got plenty of run and mobility in supporting areas to help offset his own athletic shortcomings. While they gain a Premier League adapted player that can offer an experienced and calm head in the middle of the pitch, with a skillset that will aid those around him. 

For us, we lose arguably the only bit of leadership we have in the midfield. The only player that's largely been available for selection every week, that is calm on the ball and under pressure, and offers the only real bit of defensive protection in that deep role. 

The other thing is that we finally now get some attacking quality higher up the pitch that move about, but also willingly move on a player that'll benefit a lot more from these additions than some may think. There's the ability for Jorginho to actually be utilised more like he was at Napoli and in his first season here under Sarri.

It's also worth noting that even if Enzo does arrive he isn't a defensive player, he's best used when he has that bit of freedom opposed to sitting and pulling the strings similarly to say a Pirlo once did. 

End of the day there's arguments for and against a sale. I lean more on the side of keeping for the moment because I do believe Jorginho provides more use for us right now, whether we sign Enzo or not. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

End of the day there's arguments for and against a sale. I lean more on the side of keeping for the moment because I do believe Jorginho provides more use for us right now, whether we sign Enzo or not. 

Fair points. But what if we sold Jorginho for 15-20m to Arsenal then put that towards an increased offer for Caicedo? It would be amusing at least. 

9 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Maybe we can't buy every player that Brighton scouted? 

You'd only complain we'd let Gallagher go to Everton and signed a foreigner anyway. 

£40m for Gallagher is good business. Helps offset the Felix loan fee. 

3 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

2003 - Roman Abramovich buys Chelsea

03/04 PL Champions: Arsenal - Raneri dead man walking manager
04/05 & 05/06 PL Champions: Chelsea - Roman hired a world class manager 

Edited by ROTG

15 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Fair points. But what if we sold Jorginho for 15-20m to Arsenal then put that towards an increased offer for Caicedo? It would be amusing at least. 

We're still kinda left in the same situation though, which is only having one player for that deeper role. This is why I've always lent on the side of retaining Jorginho beyond this season, because even if he's no longer a starter he's still useful foil in a rotational capacity. Plus the idea of having to try and find two DM types and integrate them at once, along with a host of others, isn't ideal either. As great as it is getting all these new players in there still needs to be an element of continuity retained, plus Jorginho still provides that calmness and tactical intelligence that we get from virtually no one else.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, xceleryx said:

We're still kinda left in the same situation though, which is only having one player for that deeper role. This is why I've always lent on the side of retaining Jorginho beyond this season, because even if he's no longer a starter he's still useful foil in a rotational capacity. Plus the idea of having to try and find two DM types and integrate them at once, along with a host of others, isn't ideal either. As great as it is getting all these new players in there still needs to be an element of continuity retained, plus Jorginho still provides that calmness and tactical intelligence that we get from virtually no one else.

I find myself changing my mind on this one. 

I think we need him for our champions league run. That said, we could keep him and lose to Dortmund.... Then he goes for free anyway 

The Premier league doesn't worry me. I see no scenario we don't get Europa and I see no scenario we finish top 4 with or without him. 

Edited by paulw66

9 hours ago, Rob B said:

REALLY surprised at the reluctance from so many to sell Jorginho.

It's 2023, no one is surprised by polarised opinions on Jorginho any more. Fair play for actually setting out an opinion rather than using pass-agg reactions.

The question is where the greater value is, having some money now (and it's not going to be anywhere near £20m, even £10m is a stretch) or having a player who can contribute to a push for a finish with a greater cash prize. If we can get a huge sum for Jorginho, fine. Anyone goes for a huge sum greater than their footballing worth to the team, after all. We just aren't getting a huge sum for him, it's fantasy. 

29 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

It's 2023, no one is surprised by polarised opinions on Jorginho any more. Fair play for actually setting out an opinion rather than using pass-agg reactions.

The question is where the greater value is, having some money now (and it's not going to be anywhere near £20m, even £10m is a stretch) or having a player who can contribute to a push for a finish with a greater cash prize. If we can get a huge sum for Jorginho, fine. Anyone goes for a huge sum greater than their footballing worth to the team, after all. We just aren't getting a huge sum for him, it's fantasy. 

The issue as I see it is a difficult one , with Jorginho it's really easy to see his limitations , he can't run , appears weak , doesn't get many assists and only scores penalties , BUT and its a big one  , we generally play better with him in the side.

If Arsenal really want him then we have to make it as costly as possible and they're as tight as two coats of paint so we have to weigh it up .

I think anything less than £10m then we keep Jorginho - he is probably worth that until the end of the season. As others have said, he is fit, experienced, a leader and we could do with some continuity. However, anythin north of that especially £15-20m and we have to take it surely? It's too much money to lose out on when he walks for free in the summer and it helps offset the spending we have done nicely. 

In reality, Gallagher is the sale we need to balance the books though. I get that he is useful and a Chelsea lad but we are going to have some difficult decisions to make over the coming years to offset this spending and future signings if we want to continue to spend big. Anyone we aren't 100% sure about and can fetch a good fee has to be considered. If you can sell him for £40m plus and Rice is available for circa £70m in the summer then hopefully it makes financial and sporting sense (the idea of Enzo and Rice in midfield for years to come is pretty exciting and i'd prefer to wait for him over signing Caicedo now). I have questions over whether Gallagher is good enough long term and he isn't the profile of midfielder we really need right now. 

Ref Jorginho, I have been clearer in that we need to move on from him. At the same time, for what money he generates now, I am not sure I see the value in selling him at this point. I think he will still be a useful player for the remainder of the season.

I just hope we avoid a new contract if he ends up playing great from now until the end of the season. I strongly believe the reason we have not really progressed in the last few seasons, is in a large part to never being able to decisively move away from Jorginho.

If he asks to go now, then let him go . If it’s our choice and he is ok with staying, keep him until end of the season.

Apparently Jorginho has been given permission to travel to Arsenal this morning to finalise his move, although an agreement hasn't yet fully been reached between the 2 clubs.

Personally, if the money is right, I think it makes sense to let him go. This season is now all about preparing for next season and Jorginho isn't going to be part of that, so if we can get £15-20m for him now, then we should take it. It means more chances for game time for Gallagher & Chukwuemeka as well, which is good ahead of next season (and potentially making a call on what we do with Gallagher in the summer).

When we play Jorginho, we have to adapt the way we play and that will only hinder the development of the new style and approach Potter is trying to introduce. 

For all those that have said you can never win the league with Jorginho in your team are potentially about to be proven  wrong, in the must unexpected of ways.