Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Rumours abound that AC Milan are considering a £40m bid for .....Lukaku !

Imagine the hilarity where we screw Inter and Lukaku by giving Lukaku the opportunity to stay in Milan , just not the Milan who wont pay up !

Would love for this to be true - but cant see it happening. Cant remember an Italian team spending that amount of money on a player. If anything, I think it will be a loan (again)

Edited by Miguelito07

9 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

Would love for this to be true - but cant see it happening. Cant remember an Italian team spending that amount of money on a player. If anything, I think it will be a loan (again)

I don't know the ins and out's of it but apparently they have the funds as they've just sold someone 

36 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I don't know the ins and out's of it but apparently they have the funds as they've just sold someone 

Tonali hasn't been sold yet. 

Even if he is, their new ownership. which are completely f-ing the club over after the good work Maldini did, are looking like turning the club into a model of buy low, sell high. If that does indeed pan out I cannot see them spending £40m. Which by the way would be their highest ever transfer fee paid, eclipsing the €42m they paid for Bonucci (roughly £37m).

• Like 1

Not directly related to us however may have a knock on effect. 

Man City are bidding for Rice, which may then push Arsenal towards Caicedo and in turn hampering us. 

Edit. They're also reportedly close to verbally agreeing terms with Gvardiol. What a way to strengthen after winning the treble should all these eventuate. 

Edited by xceleryx

56 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Format of the competition has been rejigged (next year is the last in its current form) and it's had implications for qualification that means leagues with high coefficients will have more qualifiers. Can't remember the specifics beyond that.

The cynical answer, though, is "because of the Super League".

The Top 2 performing leagues in Europe in that individual season, will get an extra CL place each.

In the last couple of seasons England has been there. So all being well 5th will get CL this season.

Only problem is, this season there are 3 teams completely new to Europe, 1 team completely new to the CL, 1 team back in the CL after a season in the EL, 1 team likely to not take Europa League seriously and a team that finished 14th in the EL. 

Basically Manchester City are the only team I expect to help the coefficient this season. 

Re: the teams completely new to Europe, it's not just their inexperience that is going to hinder them. But they are all going to be in low pots for the draws, so will likely have very challenging groups to negotiate. 

30 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

This is what the 'first group stage' will look like.

All the teams thrown together in one big league where everyone will play 8 games.

Top 8 automatically qualify.

9th-24th play two legged play offs to see which other 8 teams qualify 

received_483385903963417.jpeg

The idea of a single league table where you play a variety of teams either home or away is good. The increase to 8 games is ok, not ideal, but ok. 

The bad part is how you can finish 24th and still qualify. I think UEFA is hoping that Top 8 skipping a knockout round will be enough motivation to make it interesting, but I feel like too many teams are going to be comfortable once they know they have at least 24th wrapped up?

21 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Man City entering the race to sign Rice, will that push Arsenal back into the race to sign Caicedo?

I don't think we're signing Caicedo whoever else is involved. Think Levi Colwill will just be too much of a sticking point between the clubs.

30 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Man City entering the race to sign Rice, will that push Arsenal back into the race to sign Caicedo?

Might do, but this seems a classic case of don't let your closest opposition strengthen - target their targets, just like we did from 2003 to 2008 ish.

8 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I don't think we're signing Caicedo whoever else is involved. Think Levi Colwill will just be too much of a sticking point between the clubs.

Money talks, whoever offers the most will get the best shot at getting him signed - assuming personal terms are favourable. 

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Which is why I said it’s a shame we didn’t Ugarte, because we’re not getting Rice either and the list of top available DMs becomes smaller, not even sure who we’d go for. 

Edited by Floyd25

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

I don't want to play Brightons get rich quick game to be honest so I don't really want him. 

There has to be a decent defensive midfielder who is available for half of the £100m Brighton want to fleece us for. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

I don't want to play Brightons get rich quick game to be honest so I don't really want him. 

There has to be a decent defensive midfielder who is available for half of the £100m Brighton want to fleece us for. 

Edson Alvarez from Ajax, who we were looking at earlier this year, can be had for ca. €40m. Dortmund are negotiating with them at the moment. Seems to to be a decent enough player.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, martin1905 said:

This is what the 'first group stage' will look like.

All the teams thrown together in one big league where everyone will play 8 games.

Top 8 automatically qualify.

9th-24th play two legged play offs to see which other 8 teams qualify 

received_483385903963417.jpeg

Can imagine which 8 games RM and Barca will get...not that I am doubting UEFA honesty

17 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

if he really loved the club then he’d find a way to make this work.

Players don't "love" clubs anymore(how romantic) they are commodities to be traded.

We got screwed and paid over the odds for our commodities and our stock value plunged.

We have a chance now to recoup some of the money we wasted thanks to the Arabs.

Mount has nothing to answer for, he is just part of the greed that exists in everyday life.

18 hours ago, BMox81 said:

Mount’s mind has been poisoned? Come on now.

If he truly wanted to stay then he’d have signed whatever deal Chelsea offered him. Utd have clearly offered him more and he’s taken the bag. Nothing wrong in that.

But if he had anything about him, after his miserable efforts last season (injury aside) he’d want to make amends and leave on a high if that’s what he still ultimately wanted.

But no, he clearly wants to fuck off and the club should therefore cash in.

He's 24 ffs and the world is his lobster.A very susceptible  mind don't you think?.

11 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

This.

I don't want to lose  Mount, but there are worse things happening in the world. if he really wants out, then say goodbye and move on.

Exactly.Some people think players should be like brethren,they aren't.

The hairs on the back of my neck would rise when I watched george best and  charlie cooke play.

Today's lot are like my libido - uninterested and dysfunctional(too much information I know).

• Haha 1