Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

6 hours ago, kev61 said:

The eleven players in a

team should be able to play in at least one other position except the goal keeper.

Is that  beyond your comprehension? 

It just isn't correct. Off the top of my head, some players who played one position only:

Terry, Cahill, Alex, Leboeuf, Di Matteo, Ferreira, Carvalho, Ashley Cole, Makelele, Drogba, Costa, Zola, JFH, Thiago Silva....probably a load of  others too

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Obviously TBSD are not on the same wave length as you

Because they might hold Mount to his contract? Not really sure what you're getting at here. 

End of the day ownership know our financial situation best. There's a price on Mount's head so to speak, if no one matches that valuation then there's a possibility he'll stay and fulfils his contract. If ownership consider us in a position to take that risk without it having a negative impact on being able to do other thing, so be it. Not ideal, but bending over to a rival club ain't it either.

46 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Because they might hold Mount to his contract? Not really sure what you're getting at here. 

End of the day ownership know our financial situation best. There's a price on Mount's head so to speak, if no one matches that valuation then there's a possibility he'll stay and fulfils his contract. If ownership consider us in a position to take that risk without it having a negative impact on being able to do other thing, so be it. Not ideal, but bending over to a rival club ain't it either.

I've got to agree with this. It's entirely up to us if we choose not to sell to United at their "final" offer price. Whilst it may cost us a fee for Mount, it will reap some dividends in future player negotiations and will also give us Mount for an extra season.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Personally I do want the club to be run responsibly and profitably. From a fan’s view, paying players like Lukaku an alleged £300,000 a week really grinds my gears. If he was giving everything and delivering then I honestly wouldn’t mind as much. 

You're right, the club needs to be run responsibly and profitably, however there is a fine line.

Does became a Brentford / Brighton a sustainable model that will never win anything

An Arsenal / Tottenham who continue to live on past glories invest enough to keep the fans optimistic,  but realistically they will never compete with the big teams

Or ManUre, Chitty, Dippers - Recruit the best and pay going rates, which in turn bring success and the financial rewards from sponsors, winning competitions, corporate, Marketing etc..

Not sure which bucket the owners are pitching for

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, kev61 said:

When was the last time you watched a decent film or a decent drama on the screen(with the exception of  the adaptation of("Great Expectations" shown recently).

Politics has ruined TV and movies for me with absolutely everything being produced through the eyes of the left wing woke agenda and because of their message being constantly rammed down my neck, I no longer watch any TV shows or watch any new or recent movies. These days YouTube and Pluto TV is what I watch to chill out.

I must add that I would be just as much put off if TV and movies were shoving right wing messages down my neck.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

RLC to Milan for 15m euro

Lukaku to Inter on loan with an obligation to buy for 40m euro.

Two of this mornings' rumours

I'd rather keep RLC than sell him for £15 million. Useful squad player who will play anywhere and never moans about it.

Dont believe the Lukaku story...unfortunately 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, RDCW said:

I've got to agree with this. It's entirely up to us if we choose not to sell to United at their "final" offer price. Whilst it may cost us a fee for Mount, it will reap some dividends in future player negotiations and will also give us Mount for an extra season.

On the other hand the club could take £55m, and not gamble on a player sulking and bringing more bad vibes an already depressed dressing room and potentially influencing some of the new recruits or him playing in the reserves for a season and walks for nothing. 

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

Not ideal, but bending over to a rival club ain't it either.

£55 for a man who wants out aint being over IMO - Maybe the sales team will learn that there are not many clubs who are like Chelsea and PIF, who are willing to pay over the odds for a player, especially when they can get them for Zero in January.

Edited by ROTG

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

On the other hand the club could take £55m, and not gamble on a player sulking and bringing more bad vibes an already depressed dressing room and potentially influencing some of the new recruits or him playing in the reserves for a season and walks for nothing. 

I don't think Mount would be the sulking type.

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

£55 for a man who wants out aint being over IMO - Maybe the sales team will learn that there are not many clubs who are like Chelsea and PIF, who are willing to pay over the odds for a player, especially when they can get them for Zero in January.

I think when United stop asking £40m for McTominey we'll stop asking £60 for Mount. 

• Haha 3
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think when United stop asking £40m for McTominey we'll stop asking £60 for Mount. 

We are not trying to buy McTominey and he has 3 years left on his contract.

On 18/06/2023 at 07:04, Bison said:

On YouTube I typed 'Nicolas Jackson vs' and it returns quite a few game compilations featuring all his actions and touches in that game. Watched a handful of them and was very impressed.

Here's a general video featuring most of his good actions last season:

The comparison I had is Isak at Newcastle. Very comfortable with the ball at his feet, able to keep the ball under all sorts of pressure and a capable finisher. 

The one thing I've disliked about our forwards for a long time (other than their failure to score goals of course) is the ball simply doesn't stick with them. They lose it under the slightest pressure and it doesn't help us sustain or build attacks. Based on what I've seen so far I don't think that'll be a problem with Jackson. 

Giving out a bad contract to a player because we have one or two others on bad contracts is a terrible way to run the club. 

At risk of it sounding like a lazy comparison, there are elements of a young Drogba in his playing style. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ham said:

100% agreed. 

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

I'd rather keep RLC than sell him for £15 million. Useful squad player who will play anywhere and never moans about it.

Dont believe the Lukaku story...unfortunately 

Trouble with RLC neat season, is how many games is his realistically likely to be required for?

We don't have European football, so reduced likelihood of injuries and or fatigue to the first choice midfield (whomever that ends up being alongside Enzo)

We have now got Gusto covering RJ, so those occasional starts and cameos at RWB are probably off the table.

Without those extra midweek games, I can see him barely being involved at all.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Politics has ruined TV and movies for me with absolutely everything being produced through the eyes of the left wing woke agenda and because of their message being constantly rammed down my neck, I no longer watch any TV shows or watch any new or recent movies. These days YouTube and Pluto TV is what I watch to chill out.

I must add that I would be just as much put off if TV and movies were shoving right wing messages down my neck.

WOKE-Guardian-23-June-2023.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

It just isn't correct. Off the top of my head, some players who played one position only:

Terry, Cahill, Alex, Leboeuf, Di Matteo, Ferreira, Carvalho, Ashley Cole, Makelele, Drogba, Costa, Zola, JFH, Thiago Silva....probably a load of  others too

I feel that CBs should be able to transition to DM without much trouble. 

Haaland is the only true throwback to a proper pre-Premier League CF.

I remember earlier in the season I saw some ridiculous odds on him getting a goal from outside the area and I thought it was a licence to print money. 

I soon realised that the bookies really know what they're doing. 

Other forwards are more fluid and interchangeable. 

There is a lot of scope in the modern game for players to be more flexible but not to the point where Madison is an alternative to Rice and Caicedo an alternative to Mount. 

18 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Trouble with RLC neat season, is how many games is his realistically likely to be required for?

We don't have European football, so reduced likelihood of injuries and or fatigue to the first choice midfield (whomever that ends up being alongside Enzo)

We have now got Gusto covering RJ, so those occasional starts and cameos at RWB are probably off the table.

Without those extra midweek games, I can see him barely being involved at all.

With our injury record, he'd be kept relatively busy. 

2 minutes ago, Ham said:

With our injury record, he'd be kept relatively busy. 

Well, for one, the reduced number of games = less injuries, and two, the players who were largely injury prone in his position have been moved on.

Let's say we start the season with Enzo, Caciedo (or other), Gallagher, Santos etc........as far as know, none of those are injury prone.

5 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

WOKE-Guardian-23-June-2023.jpg

Rankled and reactionary perfectly describes your lazy response to his post.  

Why can't you just accept that not everyone agrees with you?

I don't think it's the fact that agendas are woven into every programme or film but the fact that it's often at the expense of quality, plot and believability.

Silent Witness is the prime example of a programme being used as a vehicle to push agendas. Once brilliant and now completely unwatchable.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Well, for one, the reduced number of games = less injuries, and two, the players who were largely injury prone in his position have been moved on.

Let's say we start the season with Enzo, Caciedo (or other), Gallagher, Santos etc........as far as know, none of those are injury prone.

Fingers crossed but I actually like RLC a lot.  It'll be a shame to see him finally go. 

1 minute ago, Ham said:

Fingers crossed but I actually like RLC a lot.  It'll be a shame to see him finally go. 

I agree, but I just don't see him being required that often, and if that's the case, a transfer and decent wage off the books makes sense. 

That injury he got in that pointless game in 2019 really curtailed him when he was finally making his mark.