Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

For all the talk of duds today, surely Aubamayeng is near the very top of that list. I genuinely don’t know why we ever signed him and I said as much at the time.

It had disaster written all over it and if we end up releasing him for free so he can go back to Barcelona, then that just about wraps it up as one of the worst signings I’ve seen us make.

Didn't TT want him?

• Agree 1

Just now, Floyd25 said:

If we’re mentioning pre Roman players then you’d have to add Robert Fleck because I’ve heard from older fans how bad he was. From my youth I can remember how bad Jokanovic and Sutton were.

Fleck was a dud. However it is hard to remember someone giving so much for such little return. Hence probably why he makes nobody’s dud list. 

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Unfortunately, I think Pep will get more out of him than we saw at Chelsea.

Definitely feels like the right time to move him on, as you said, has been a good player for us with obvious limitations in front of goal. However, I don’t agree that Pep will get more out of him, are we expecting Pep to take him to the next level at 30 years old? I’m really not sure about that, but I wish the guy good luck.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ROTG said:

Fleck was a dud. However it is hard to remember someone giving so much for such little return. Hence probably why he makes nobody’s dud list. 

He’s not from my era to be honest, but I can recall a lot of older fans talking about how rubbish he was. 

6 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

He’s not from my era to be honest, but I can recall a lot of older fans talking about how rubbish he was. 

Being from that era. He was a dud in price tag and delivering the goods. However I cannot remember a player giving so much to prove himself. 

Edited by ROTG
Chara and Co will tell you more about Robert Fleck

26 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

Definitely feels like the right time to move him on, as you said, has been a good player for us with obvious limitations in front of goal. However, I don’t agree that Pep will get more out of him, are we expecting Pep to take him to the next level at 30 years old? I’m really not sure about that, but I wish the guy good luck.

Not expecting him to take him to another level, I just think he will utilise him in a way that will work to his strengths more than we often did.

34 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I would presume so, yes, but then they sacked him straight after which just made the whole thing even more ridiculous.

I was more a case of TT telling TB and how a club is run. 

I suspect TB thought he could do a RA unfortunately he was ill advised to hiring a Media hyped nobody was the answer. Twice. 

Edited by ROTG

1 hour ago, Floyd25 said:

If we’re mentioning pre Roman players then you’d have to add Robert Fleck because I’ve heard from older fans how bad he was. From my youth I can remember how bad Jokanovic and Sutton were.

Revisionist me says both Deschamps and Jokanovic were misunderstood.

Sutton was shit though. The real warning sign was he only scored 4 the season before and 2 were against us.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'll ge sad to see Loftus leave!

Out of all of our own boys from the last 20 years or so, he's the one who I thought was going to go on and become a major player for us. Such bad luck with injuries, with worst being  that awful heel injury picked up in a meaningless friendly just after a period of play for us when he really was starting to look the real deal.  Considering how bad that injury was, he's done well to even get back to the level he's at now. One player who I really do wish nothing but the best for, for the rest of his career.

Edited by boratsbrother
  • Agree 4

22 hours ago, chara said:

Top Ten duds...hmm.... how far can we go back?...and let's have a definition of dud.....KDB/Salah were not duds ..Cudrado yes...so anyone want to go first?

My top 15 also considering their fee/wage and not strictly performance but performance related to fee/wage. Going back to 2013/14: 

Lukaku, Arrizabalaga, Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Cucurella, Morata, Torres, Shevchenko, Havertz, Koulibaly, Pulisic, Jorginho, Batahuayi, Baba Rahman, Cuadrado, 

I’d take back every single one of those buys if I could turn back times 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

I was at SB when Norwich beat us 3-0. Fleck was superb, the second goal an absolute wonder strike. We were all delighted when he signed for a record £2.3m. His debut, against Oldham, was so typical; a brilliant performance but so many missed chances. And yes we gave away a last minute equaliser for 1-1, Mick Harford smashing home after a brilliant long ball from Vinnie Jones and sadly Dave Beasant screwing up a simple clearance and was lobbed from 40 yards! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ROTG said:

He tried hard, just like Werner, so always give them benefit of the doubt, unlike Sutton and Lukaku. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Kova has officially left the building.

I won’t miss him. Great player in the middle third. Crap at either end. At City he may have a very defined role, but for us he had to be the driving force in midfield (which he isn’t). He’ll do alright there and we can target someone better. 

• Agree 2

50 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

My top 15 also considering their fee/wage and not strictly performance but performance related to fee/wage. Going back to 2013/14: 

Lukaku, Arrizabalaga, Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Cucurella, Morata, Torres, Shevchenko, Havertz, Koulibaly, Pulisic, Jorginho, Batahuayi, Baba Rahman, Cuadrado, 

I’d take back every single one of those buys if I could turn back times 

Hm. Somehow there must be some room for both Ziyech and Werner there as well… 

1 minute ago, Miguelito07 said:

Pulisic might also be off to Milan. 

Erm, I am not really sure getting rid of the majority of players is going to be a good thing.

I think you actually mean"the majority of carp (!) lazy, non contributing waster players IS going to be a good thing".or am I being presumptuous?

Duds...had a vague memory of Tommy Knox coming down to Chelsea and being a waste back in my idle youth...led me to the opposite...don't you just love Wicki wandering etc?...

A 2-4 away Cup tie win at QPR in '64 (seems too early but)I think....the young greats playing football on a quaqmire ...no duds wasters or lazy players there and all way above the dross we are moving on.... I don't live in the past but like to look back now and then..the contrast says it all.

1 hour ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

I was at SB when Norwich beat us 3-0. Fleck was superb, the second goal an absolute wonder strike. We were all delighted when he signed for a record £2.3m. His debut, against Oldham, was so typical; a brilliant performance but so many missed chances. And yes we gave away a last minute equaliser for 1-1, Mick Harford smashing home after a brilliant long ball from Vinnie Jones and sadly Dave Beasant screwing up a simple clearance and was lobbed from 40 yards! 

From what I’m reading, he really tried his best to be successful here, shame that it didn’t go that way in the end, everybody can admire someone who puts a shift in though and doesn’t sulk when things don’t go their way. 

• Agree 1

On 26/06/2023 at 18:29, thevelourfog said:

Not really a development this, is it. Never been any noise, in even the most critical briefings, that he asked to be sold or made any kind of a stink.

He's getting a massive fee either way. His current contact is likely loaded with loyalty bonuses payable on a non-requested transfer. None of this screams "money" as a primary motivation. 

Exactly.I wish people can see the benefits of having Mount around.I don't see a player that has an over inflated opinion of himself   or a whinger, unlike some of some of of the players we are steadily getting rid of.

I would see him as a new signing and an exciting one at that if he stays.

• Agree 1