Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

30 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

"There is no question over Hudson-Odoi’s ability", says Steinberg in the Guardian. Actually, Jacob mate, there's a Spanish Inquisition's worth.

I agree with Jacob on this one, there is no question, he is shit.

I remember the arguments on here from the vast majority, expect you me and Droy if I remember rightly, who all thought he was going to be a superstar. There was never anything there whatsoever.

• Haha 1

Just now, martin1905 said:

I remember the arguments on here from the vast majority, expect you me and Droy if I remember rightly, who all thought he was going to be a superstar. There was never anything there whatsoever.

Ability he probably has - it’s the other 3 A’s he struggles with, namely:

Application

Appreciation

Awareness

Just my take on it though.

Might well turn out to be another case of a multi-millionaire teenager who had too much too soon and maybe believed the hype around him. I do think that these academy stars may have too many people telling them how wonderful they are and then when they face a bit of adversity or negativity their coping systems simply cannot compute.

• Agree 1

Looks like the deal for this Angelo Gabriel from Santos is done, yet another young signing, some to obviously be sold on for profit. You can see why the likes of Mendel-Idowu are leaving, the pathway for people like him becomes more implausible, can see it from his perspective. 

4 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

Looks like the deal for this Angelo Gabriel from Santos is done, yet another young signing, some to obviously be sold on for profit. You can see why the likes of Mendel-Idowu are leaving, the pathway for people like him becomes more implausible, can see it from his perspective. 

No offense but nonsense! Mendel-Idowu is chasing money. If he doesnt back himself, with all his knowledge of the english game against a player coming from 5000 miles away that doesn't speak the language, has no idea that the wheel is on the other side and has never played in 0 degree weather, i say good riddance. 

7 minutes ago, chrisb said:

So City have pulled out of signing Rice leaving Arsenal with their £105m bid the sole chasers. 

5 minutes ago, Ham said:

So city just pushed them to spend an additional £25m. 

Apparently word is Arteta called in a favour from City to wake Arsenal's board out of their torpor. City had no intention of buying the player so bid more than Arsenal to make them bid again. 

7 minutes ago, Ham said:

How I wish we had Roman to do a madness in and sign 🍚 to blow the hated goons out of the water. Roman doing Roman things. The best owner ever and the ultimate lad. 

But anyway, 🍚 will improve Arsenal, though I hope they end up paying even more. We paid similar for Enzo, I guess! 

1 minute ago, Floyd25 said:

Your point is well taken but if we look at things in a slightly different way...

The concept that a strong youth development system as a conveyor belt or pathway to "first team " status is a thing of the past,  Busby Babes and Doc's Diamonds are things of history!

Chelsea has a great academy but in truth over say the last twenty years how many worthy long term Chelsea first team players have emerged ?

A host of good middle table side type players, a lot  of lower league journeyman all making ,one hopes, a decent living from the game at one level or another with a decent amount of income for the club from sales.

I believe CHO as with many, many,probably all, graduates had potential and a skill set but the intangible "difference" seen in the likes of JT was never quite there...add on bad advice and overhype with a relatively big money contract and it's no surprise that many just don't make the top grade and that is without taking into account individual ability to progress and improve as a personal career goal.

Top clubs seek to recruit the cream from every youth system..."lesser" clubs look for the best of the rest....Just an OG observation. FWIW.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Apparently word is Arteta called in a favour from City to wake Arsenal's board out of their torpor. City had no intention of buying the player so bid more than Arsenal to make them bid again. 

That's a rumour dreamed up by none other than Eni Aluko on talkshit today. 

As if a club would stiff itself out of £25m and as if Pep would want to help L'arse in the first place. 

2 minutes ago, chara said:

Your point is well taken but if we look at things in a slightly different way...

The concept that a strong youth development system as a conveyor belt or pathway to "first team " status is a thing of the past,  Busby Babes and Doc's Diamonds are things of history!

Chelsea has a great academy but in truth over say the last twenty years how many worthy long term Chelsea first team players have emerged ?

A host of good middle table side type players, a lot  of lower league journeyman all making ,one hopes, a decent living from the game at one level or another with a decent amount of income for the club from sales.

I believe CHO as with many, many,probably all, graduates had potential and a skill set but the intangible "difference" seen in the likes of JT was never quite there...add on bad advice and overhype with a relatively big money contract and it's no surprise that many just don't make the top grade and that is without taking into account individual ability to progress and improve as a personal career goal.

Top clubs seek to recruit the cream from every youth system..."lesser" clubs look for the best of the rest....Just an OG observation. FWIW.

If you’re good enough you’ll play. I bet Lewis Hall will feature a lot next season. Looks like Chels standard to me, easily. 

1 minute ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

If you’re good enough you’ll play. I bet Lewis Hall will feature a lot next season. Looks like Chels standard to me, easily. 

Thanks Matt...took you a line and a bit to say what I took a big page to say😃!

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, DannyLB said:

If he doesnt back himself, with all his knowledge of the english game against a player coming from 5000 miles away that doesn't speak the language, has no idea that the wheel is on the other side and has never played in 0 degree weather, i say good riddance. 

I take your point, but with such a big influx of young players coming from foreign leagues, you can see why the young talent we have could feel forced out. I don’t think it has anything to do with these players coming in not speaking English or not knowing how to drive a car correctly to be honest, we’re now stockpiling young wingers. 

54 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Not even that he was going to be a superstar, but that he should there-and-then be starting over people like Pedro and Willian.  I get loads wrong so won't congratulate myself, but never saw anything in him. Should have taken that Bayern money, really.

29 minutes ago, Ham said:

Cucurella, Maguire ... It's a yearly tradition for them now.

23 minutes ago, chara said:

You make some good points, to make it clear I have absolutely no issue with us signing young players from other academy’s, in moderation. However, when you’ve signed a lot of players in the same position, which seems kind of unnecessary to me, my point is I can see why young players would want to move on. I get the ‘if you’re good enough you’ll play line’, I’ve read that a lot over the years, it’s just not always the case though unfortunately. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Not even that he was going to be a superstar, but that he should there-and-then be starting over people like Pedro and Willian.  I get loads wrong so won't congratulate myself, but never saw anything in him. Should have taken that Bayern money, really.

Cucurella, Maguire ... It's a yearly tradition for them now.

Spot on TVF.... a  few bright showings but I think there was that old fear that if he went to Bayern Chelsea would end up looking silly letting him go but 20/20 hindsight says would have been best for all concerned...wasn't there some "family" agent interference or bad advice?

I must say I'm enjoying all these leaving messages and comments from those left behind. They all really love the club and all their mates will miss them dreadfully. 

Makes you wonder why everyone except Kepa, Silva Enzo, and Chilwell played like they had one leg tied behind their backs last season. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chrisb said:

So City have pulled out of signing Rice leaving Arsenal with their £105m bid the sole chasers. 

At least everyone including Brighton know the max city are willing to pay for a DM. 

14 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I must say I'm enjoying all these leaving messages and comments from those left behind. They all really love the club and all their mates will miss them dreadfully. 

Makes you wonder why everyone except Kepa, Silva Enzo, and Chilwell played like they had one leg tied behind their backs last season. 

As ever Mark, bringing a smile to the table, thanks yet again...

BUT as in many a true word spoken in jest..

I have yet to see comprehensive acceptable reasons given for the on field lack....inferior coaching only goes so far in answering the questions.

Added..the sanctions, sale etc a factor but still not the full answer.

Personal issues, of course, affect performances but not the bulk of the squad.

Or did I miss something?

Edited by chara
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, chara said:

Me and @paulw66 posted about his yesterday. There are at least 10 academy players who will be playing in the CL or Europa cup next season.  With a majority playing for top teams. 

Also there are not many academies of if any which can boast selling its academy players for in excess of £20m when they have hardly kicked a ball for first team. 
Colwill is another case of a player who could probably be sold for £40m without ever kicking a ball for Chelsea. 

Now it seems the academy has become yet another experiment for TBSD. 

Edited by ROTG

@ROTG...of course you are right but how many of those players were truly an egg on the face  loss?

I suspect Broja will join the "not quite" graduates whilst I still am not 100% convinced with Hall but hoping as he is still very young...Colwill I have not seen enough of but too much activity around his name seems to indicate great potential long term...time of course will tell.

I do enjoy reading follow ups on my views...what discussion is all about..Thanks.

• Like 1