Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

15 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Maddison £40m to the spuds. I guess him wanting more than £100k per week in wages made him a non-starter for TBSD. 

My dear Mr Gizmo,

I respect your views (I do). But your default is to always blame the club. It isn’t always our fault when players choose to go elsewhere. There are different factors involved.

Yours sincerely 

C_M

• Like 1

I beg the Mods' indulgence...don't want to start a new topic for what Tom Paxton used to call his'"short shelf life" offerings.

I go back a long way but who in the opinion of members was the BEST Chelsea Academy graduate ever?....Greaves? JT? Butch? "The Cat" Venables, James??...a lot to consider...

Top three IN ORDER  if you will!

• Like 1

Gooners spending £170m in two days on two players.  

Rumours of Kane to Chelsea because he's building his next family home near Cobham. 

Make any of this make sense 😵‍💫

Edited by Ham
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Ham said:

Gooners spending £170m in two days on two players.  

Rumours of Kane to Chelsea because he's building his next family home near Cobham. 

Make any of this make sense 😵‍💫

Wentworth (so some 15 or so miles from Cobham)

More likely to do with his love of golf than moving to Chelsea

3 hours ago, martin1905 said:

I agree with Jacob on this one, there is no question, he is shit.

I remember the arguments on here from the vast majority, expect you me and Droy if I remember rightly, who all thought he was going to be a superstar. There was never anything there whatsoever.

I think there were plenty who questioned the mad inquisition Sarri got for not starting him every game. He was virtually the evil that would rob us of our future. Personally I don’t think CHO fulfilled even 25% of what RLC did here and that says something!

He simply has to be sold to the Championship or the Dutch/French league. But given how hyped he was, has he the mental strength to carry on at all? It’s a legitimate question. 

1 hour ago, chara said:

@ROTG...of course you are right but how many of those players were truly an egg on the face  loss?

That depends. Selling Abraham and buying Lukaku for £97m was certainly egg on face. Or selling Tomori, or Livramento, or Mount, or Musiala, or… We’ll the list goes on. Every time we sell an academy player only to buy a more expensive and worse replacement is an egg on face moment. 

I’d much rather have all of them that we’ve lost (and will lose)  over the last five seasons and saved ourselves a buck or two and spent them on real quality instead of garbage. But that’s just my two pennies. 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Kai Havertz - the most disappointing signing in decades. Generational talent? Do me a favour. 

Awful signing in hindsight. How can we sign a player without having a proper idea of where to play him? After three seasons here I don’t think anyone at the club knows his best position yet. 

Shambles. He was a generational failure and I’m amazed that Arsenal have paid so much for him. 

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

That depends. Selling Abraham and buying Lukaku for £97m was certainly egg on face. Or selling Tomori, or Livramento, or Mount, or Musiala, or… We’ll the list goes on. Every time we sell an academy player only to buy a more expensive and worse replacement is an egg on face moment. 

I’d much rather have all of them that we’ve lost (and will lose)  over the last five seasons and saved ourselves a buck or two and spent them on real quality instead of garbage. But that’s just my two pennies. 

Hmm.... looking from a slightly different angle I have to agree with you Dave....the "extra" factors change the conclusions somewhat...Tammy as a sale only was sort of ok but pairing that with the Lukaku fiasco brings in the "egg" factor for sure.Bold bit above is spot on.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JaneB said:

I can't really answer this Chara.  All I can say is that I don't think you can get past JT for two obvious reasons.  Best Premier League Central Defender ever and best Premier League Captain ever.  Irreplaceable and with the skin of a rhino.

Of course you can..and have very succinctly...answered the question...# 2 & #3 ?

8 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Awful signing in hindsight. How can we sign a player without having a proper idea of where to play him? After three seasons here I don’t think anyone at the club knows his best position yet. 

Shambles. He was a generational failure and I’m amazed that Arsenal have paid so much for him. 

Well the change of Managers had a big part to play in this.   Something like 4 managers in 3 seasons, plus the scouting / technical team that would have brought him in.  So  inevitably each change brings a difference of opinion on his best position etc.  

Plus his time here overlapped when we’ve arguably been at our shittest (domestically) with absolutely no continuity of forwards around him (Werner, Lukaku, Ziyech, Sterling, Aubameyang etc) 

And whilst I think it’s a great sale from our perspective, I do think there’s a player there (probably playing off a number 9 arriving late into the box) and I think he’ll do well at Arsenal.  It’s kind of a weird one where it might actually suit all parties 

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

Wentworth (so some 15 or so miles from Cobham)

More likely to do with his love of golf than moving to Chelsea

It’s where Shevchenko has his UK base, no doubt because of his love of golf and the automatic right of Wentworth Estate residents to membership of the golf club.  3 x 18 hole courses and a Par 3 course.

Wonderful place to live, cheapest homes in the estate go for £3m +. Equalled by St George’s Hill Estate in Weybridge, lovely golf course there too. 

Can’t think for one moment that Levy would sanction a sale to us. 

Just now, JaneB said:

Butch and Bonetti?  But you are going back a long way with the latter Chara!!!

But but...only yesterday it seems! 

So many great club servants  less so top top players... Bonetti only keeper graduate of true class in all my time..Harris, Hollins, JT, Butch of course Reece set to join them... great servants Tambling Johnny Bumstead and so many others over the years...the sport's set up has changed so much since Greaves but still the cream emerges as with Reece and although something of a question mark now Mason...two years ago no question for me.

1 hour ago, chara said:

I beg the Mods' indulgence...don't want to start a new topic for what Tom Paxton used to call his'"short shelf life" offerings.

I go back a long way but who in the opinion of members was the BEST Chelsea Academy graduate ever?....Greaves? JT? Butch? "The Cat" Venables, James??...a lot to consider...

Top three IN ORDER  if you will!

Difficult to put in order for reasons such as Greavsie didn’t stick around long enough but was a generational talent.

But top three - JT, Greavsie and Chopper

4 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER!!!!!!!

Some will be aware that I have a friend who used to work at the club. He worked with the kids from under 8's up to, I'm not sure exactly. Anyway he was part of the set up when Mason Mount came through, as a young boy. He became very close to Mason's Dad and is still in contact. He tells me bits, as much right as wrong, although recently he's been very accurate. He no longer works for the club and hasn't for some time.

Anyway, he's telling me that within the next 48 hours, most likely tomorrow the club will offer Mount a new long term contract. With all the outgoings, especially Havertz they only ever wanted to sell him OR Mount, never both, we are in a much better place to offer him the contract he wants. Pochettino is pushing hard to get him to stay and the feeling is that it may well happen.

He's telling me that this is not coming from Mason's Dad who is saying nothing.

Make of it what you will, but at least it's something to think about and discuss. I said the other day that he had told me we were looking at a CM a ST and we're prepared to go big on another AM, apparently that big singing is Mount. He's been convinced that he can play a more central role under Pochettino, albeit starting from the right, on paper, like he used Ericksen/Delle Ali at Tottenham.

Could all be complete bollox and I was reluctant to put it on here as I'm sure many don't believe what I'm saying but thought why not.

Would be lovely if true Mason is probably the one player we didn't want to lose , he's certainly one I don't want to.

• Agree 1