Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

19 minutes ago, east lower said:

It’s where Shevchenko has his UK base, no doubt because of his love of golf and the automatic right of Wentworth Estate residents to membership of the golf club.  3 x 18 hole courses and a Par 3 course.

Wonderful place to live, cheapest homes in the estate go for £3m +. Equalled by St George’s Hill Estate in Weybridge, lovely golf course there too. 

Can’t think for one moment that Levy would sanction a sale to us. 

Just the one course at St George's Hill though (plus the 9 hole course). First ever Huf house in the UK was built there (two in fact, next to each other... one served as the UK sales director's home, the other as a show home for a while. The former is currently on sale). Maybe it's because I know the area so much better but St GH over Wentworth any time for me.

I can't see Levy sanctioning Kane being sold to an English club for anything other than a stupid price... and double it if your name is Chelsea!

26 minutes ago, east lower said:

Can’t think for one moment that Levy would sanction a sale to us. 

I think the rumour was that if he isn't sold this window or in January, he could walk next summer. Nothing to do with Levy.  

50 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

I respect your views (I do). But your default is to always blame the club.

Dear Mr Door,

You are correct  I use the club as a default, the reason is because it’s pretty obvious there is no clear direction where the Club is going. Each transfer window under the new ownership has been full of diversity with some bizarre signings, ending up with bloated squad that ultimately imploded. 

Now it’s a case of this transfer window in trying to offload all the players on big salaries including selling to top 4 rivals to balance the books, and continuing to pay over the top fees for average players and giving them stupid length contract.

pochettino might be a good coach, but is not a miracle worker. 

should Chelsea sign Jackson, that would be £45m spent on two strikers who were being scouted by Brighton and Bournemouth which is probably their level. On the plus side at least the club are paying Brighton / Bournemouth level wages. 

One can only assume being sustainable is the only model going forward, trophies, Europe  etc. are a thing of the past, along with signing world class players 

I am sure it will be the normal transition etc responses from the regulars and Enzo being world class  

Your Sincerely 

Mr Gizmo  😀

50 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

I don't know what is confusing me the most, the fact that Arsenal were willing to pay £65m for Havertz or that Arteta thinks he's a midfielder.

TBSD have played a blinder here.

That depends on who wins what and where the clubs finish next season. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Just the one course at St George's Hill though (plus the 9 hole course). First ever Huf house in the UK was built there (two in fact, next to each other... one served as the UK sales director's home, the other as a show home for a while. The former is currently on sale). Maybe it's because I know the area so much better but St GH over Wentworth any time for me.

I can't see Levy sanctioning Kane being sold to an English club for anything other than a stupid price... and double it if your name is Chelsea!

Back in the day, I played at both places. Preferred St George’s Hill to the East and Duke of Edinburgh courses at Wentworth, but the West Course (Championship one) was always something else.  Have an old friend who had the wing of a mansion looking over the 1st tee on the East Course, so was able to jump on the course with him as a guest reasonably regularly. He was the drummer in 10CC  - Stuart Tosh (and Pilot).

I worked on both Estate’s, putting electrical infrastructure into them and there are some wonderful house/mansion designs seen plus a few eyesores. 

21 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Would be lovely if true Mason is probably the one player we didn't want to lose , he's certainly one I don't want to.

You would not believe it based on the comments on here over the past couple of weeks 😀

mid he stays it’s Samaritans time for @xceleryx 😀”only joking”

1 minute ago, east lower said:

Ok 👍. Levy would still find a way to not make it happen though!

😉

Sam Wallace on back pages, just said it was a bit of mischievous headline by him. 
Nothing in it about him moving to Chelsea.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER!!!!!!!

Some will be aware that I have a friend who used to work at the club. He worked with the kids from under 8's up to, I'm not sure exactly. Anyway he was part of the set up when Mason Mount came through, as a young boy. He became very close to Mason's Dad and is still in contact. He tells me bits, as much right as wrong, although recently he's been very accurate. He no longer works for the club and hasn't for some time.

Anyway, he's telling me that within the next 48 hours, most likely tomorrow the club will offer Mount a new long term contract. With all the outgoings, especially Havertz they only ever wanted to sell him OR Mount, never both, we are in a much better place to offer him the contract he wants. Pochettino is pushing hard to get him to stay and the feeling is that it may well happen.

He's telling me that this is not coming from Mason's Dad who is saying nothing.

Make of it what you will, but at least it's something to think about and discuss. I said the other day that he had told me we were looking at a CM a ST and we're prepared to go big on another AM, apparently that big singing is Mount. He's been convinced that he can play a more central role under Pochettino, albeit starting from the right, on paper, like he used Ericksen/Delle Ali at Tottenham.

Could all be complete bollox and I was reluctant to put it on here as I'm sure many don't believe what I'm saying but thought why not.

Have lumped on Mount to stay at 13/8

8 minutes ago, east lower said:

Back in the day, I played at both places. Preferred St George’s Hill to the East and Duke of Edinburgh courses at Wentworth, but the West Course (Championship one) was always something else.  Have an old friend who had the wing of a mansion looking over the 1st tee on the East Course, so was able to jump on the course with him as a guest reasonably regularly. He was the drummer in 10CC  - Stuart Tosh (and Pilot).

I worked on both Estate’s, putting electrical infrastructure into them and there are some wonderful house/mansion designs seen plus a few eyesores. 

Not a golfer myself. 

The eyesores tend to be the retro-looking new-builds with wall-to-wall marble favoured by our Russian and middle-eastern friends. Shame so many of the original Tarrant houses have disappeared.

In the late 90s until about 2015 I used to run a garden machinery sales & service business in Hersham and had a lot of clients on StGH (along with Burwood Park, Ashley Park & Weybridge Park where my father lives)

Nearly £13m for this monstrosity! If I had the money, I'd buy it just to knock it down!

65851_WBE190040_IMG_00_0000.jpeg

6 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Sadly .pdf files can't be uploaded. Will see what I can do

OK, did a screen shot.

***   =  imminent announcement/deal close to conclusion/looking to shift out

01.jpg

02.jpg

Christ seeing them laid out like that just shows what a terrible squad we've built. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Not a golfer myself. 

The eyesores tend to be the retro-looking new-builds with wall-to-wall marble favoured by our Russian and middle-eastern friends. Shame so many of the original Tarrant houses have disappeared.

In the late 90s until about 2015 I used to run a garden machinery sales & service business in Hersham and had a lot of clients on StGH (along with Burwood Park, Ashley Park & Weybridge Park where my father lives)

Nearly £13m for this monstrosity! If I had the money, I'd buy it just to knock it down!

Looks like one of the new-builds in Oxshott, trying to tempt in the players.

I’ve not been on either estate in a good few years since both estates put security and raised barriers in place.  But I did do some infrastructure for Sheik Mohammed’s place at Lyne and that picture looks like the building he put up for his servants! Lives there when Royal Ascot and the King George meeting is on. Goes to show, you can all the money in the world but class can rarely be bought.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Not a golfer myself. 

I do like a bit of neo-georgian symmetry. 

15 minutes ago, Ham said:

I do like a bit of neo-georgian symmetry. 

I don't object to it per se (nor the neo-Palladian architecture also much favoured in the gated communities of Surrey and beyond) but there's just too much of it.  We're in the third decade of the 21st century and we're still building stuff  that looks better suited to the 16th and 19th centuries!

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

You would not believe it based on the comments on here over the past couple of weeks 😀

mid he stays it’s Samaritans time for @xceleryx 😀”only joking”

You might want to adjust that tin foil hat of yours, seems its a little big with it sliding down impairing your vision. 

At no point have I said I wanted to sell Mount generally speaking, but if he ain't going to re-sign then it's the obvious conclusion given the way FFP works. More than happy for him to remain should he come to his senses. 

3 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

That depends. Selling Abraham and buying Lukaku for £97m was certainly egg on face. Or selling Tomori, or Livramento, or Mount, or Musiala, or… We’ll the list goes on. Every time we sell an academy player only to buy a more expensive and worse replacement is an egg on face moment. 

I’d much rather have all of them that we’ve lost (and will lose)  over the last five seasons and saved ourselves a buck or two and spent them on real quality instead of garbage. But that’s just my two pennies. 

The error was the not selling a mid level player like Abraham. Tomori was last in the pecking order at the time of his sale, again not really an error given he's an above average player at best. Livramento hasn't proven much of anything and was behind a player he was unlikely to displace any time soon - who knows how he'll turn out after injury either. Musiala left on his own accord to return to Germany, the club had actually tried to hang onto him at the time. 

All in all the notion of selling these players wasn't necessarily a flawed approach, the issue has come in the way we recruited. Now, it's obviously easier to look back with hindsight and say we shouldn't have sold x and replaced them with y, but by large the general action taken was in attempt to recruit better players - be it in terms of base level talent or higher future potential. And we did do that to a degree.

The real issue, and it was a big problem in the latter years of the Roman era, our signings had no real rhyme or reason. Our footballing style wasn't considered, their tactical profile ignored, player attributes in conjunction with the nature of Premier League football overlooked, and so on. The constant turnover of managers meant it was hard to really have a philosophy in place and blueprint to follow, for too long we operated in a manner of trying to just mesh together players that all had different qualities that didn't necessarily blend well.

While I'm glad we're getting rid of some of those under performers we've signed  the last few years now, not once have I ever felt that we messed up selling those we did either - particularly those who ended up in Serie A over the years that I've gone on to see a bit of since. We still want better than that. 

Edited by xceleryx
Formatting fix

24 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

What does everyone make of this? Kepa as first choice again. Anyone seen Anatoliy Trubin play, because I haven’t got a clue. 

I think it's fine for the time being.

Kepa was one of the better performing keepers in the Premier League last season, and while not perfect he demonstrated enough to work with for the immediate future. If our attack could score goals it would relieve some of the pressure on basically having to keep clean sheets every game to have a chance of picking up points. Would rather stick with Kepa than spend £50m on a marginal upgrade, if we're signing a genuine first choice replacement then they need be a significant improvement. 

Not familiar with this Trubin fellow so can't comment there. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

8 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

Looks like the deal for this Angelo Gabriel from Santos is done, yet another young signing, some to obviously be sold on for profit. You can see why the likes of Mendel-Idowu are leaving, the pathway for people like him becomes more implausible, can see it from his perspective. 

Angelo is heading to Strasbourg by all accounts. 

He's a project signing, a young player that's stalled since coming onto the scene but may find his feet and develop further. Whether that ends up resulting in a place at Chelsea remains to be seen, but it certainly isn't enough of an excuse why Mendel-Idowu or other youth players cannot stake their own claim. There's ALWAYS going to be competition for places. 

4 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

IMG_2647.thumb.jpeg.36e0ad8162a36842ea4241fec7387068.jpeg

What does everyone make of this? Kepa as first choice again. Anyone seen Anatoliy Trubin play, because I haven’t got a clue. 

It's a disaster. Kepa is ****. We need a new goalkeeper. 

• Agree 1