Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

7 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

55m plus 5m in add ons for a 24 year old England international, sounds a price too good to be true. Where  can we get one of them?

Oh we sell them.

Utd want 80m for washed up Maguire... work that out!

When have Utd quoted that for Maguire!? They haven’t and would bite your hand off for £30million I suspect. 
Given the contractual situation, I would say we have got pretty much the going rate. The add ons are likely to be easily achievable and a given, so £60million is about right. We have signed a French international who was not in his last year to replace him for a similar amount of money. 

• Agree 2

Really don’t know what to believe. Either we only offered him a one year extension and forced him out. Or we made several offers which he rejected. 

Mount is on around £75,000 a week and Chelsea made several offers to him, the highest worth around £200,000 a week.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jun/29/mason-mount-set-to-join-manchester-united-from-chelsea-for-60m

2003-4 we went into the season with this and scored 67 goals in the league...

Jimmy

Eidur 

Crespo 

Forssell

Mutu

At the moment we heading into pre season with...

Auba

Broja

Fofana2

Lukaku 

Jackson?

That is slightly scary. Poch I hope is a miracle worker.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RDCW said:

Wind yer neck in Chara, you old fart 😅! We have to put up with your meanderings, so you have to put up with our pointless dissection of Kepa's inadequacies. And another thing............

Ahh...The wisdom of the Valleys....probably right Mr Williams....anything said is acceptable with a smile!!

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

We had a bloated squad last season, and now we sell a few, we are panicking?

Conceded less than a goal a game. Completely fine. What wasn't fine was the goals scored 

Sure. I guess that's why James signed a new contract on such paltry wages 

I was being slightly tongue in cheek Paul.  And maybe the real concern is quality not quantity.

1 hour ago, RDCW said:

We are old farty friends, Jane! 🤣

And with a smile as ever 😁...But Thanks Jane...although now I do feel OG !....youngsters helping me across the road (forum)...sigh...but as ever your heart in the right place.

8 minutes ago, bertles86 said:

2003-4 we went into the season with this and scored 67 goals in the league...

Jimmy

Eidur 

Crespo 

Forssell

Mutu

At the moment we heading into pre season with...

Auba

Broja

Fofana2

Lukaku 

Jackson?

That is slightly scary. Poch I hope is a miracle worker.

Whilst I get the point you are making. I don’t think last seasons lack of goals was down to poor strikers. I believe it was down to poor coaching and lack of a structure within the team. I think any of the strikers you named from 2003-04 would have also struggled in that shambolic mess we had to endure last season. Whilst it’s clear we do need new forward/forwards. The players we had last season are capable of scoring more goals, under a manager capable of coaching……that’s not to say the players we have in this area are the answer! 

29 minutes ago, Gurj SS said:

I saw today Real Madrid are open to Valverde moving on, I think it'll be criminal if we let him go elsewhere; of all the Caicedos, Rices, Laivas, Enzos, Gallaghers out there; he walks the floor with all of them.

Agree 100%. Superb player. Would be ideal for us.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, chara said:

And with a smile as ever 😁...But Thanks Jane...although now I do feel OG !....youngsters helping me across the road (forum)...sigh...but as ever your heart in the right place.

Stop calling yourself an OG.  You are listed on here as 'Under 21' or hadn't you noticed...............?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JaneB said:

Stop calling yourself an OG.  You are listed on here as 'Under 21' or hadn't you noticed...............?

Yeah...wondered about that....one of the traumatic moments of my football life was when I realised I would never get an "Under 23 "cap (as was then)😁

Mind you, Mrs C is of the opinion that "Under 21" for me is overstating my "maturity"..sigh.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, chara said:

Yeah...wondered about that....one of the traumatic moments of my football life was when I realised I would never get an "Under 23 "cap (as was then)😁

Mind you, Mrs C is of the opinion that "Under 21" for me is overstating my "maturity"..sigh.

All queries to @My Blood Is Blue 😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Sure. I guess that's why James signed a new contract on such paltry wages 

I think you will find that was when TT was at the club and TB was responsible for contacts and the club had just signed players like PEA, KK, Sterling on £350k per week. 

All changed in Jan when the TBSD  took over contracts and recruitment. 

Is it coincidence most of the players moved this window were earning in excess of £200k. Per week. 

Edited by ROTG

1 minute ago, ROTG said:

I think you will find that was when TT was at the club and TB was responsible for contacts and the club had just signed players like PEA, KK, Sterling on £350k per week. 

All changed in Jan when the TBSD  to over contracts and recruitment. 

Is it coincidence most of the players moved this window were the earning in excess of £200k. Per week. 

Just a question!

7 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Potential squad based on likely current ins & outs:

Kepa,  New GK,  Bettinelli

James,  Gusto,  Chilwell,  Cucurella

W Fofana,  Chalobah,  Badiashile,  Colwill,  Silva

Enzo,  CaicedoNew CM (Veiga?),  Gallagher

Sterling,  Mudryck,  Nkunku,  Madueke

Jackson,  Broja

That still leaves 3 spaces in a 25 man squad (max allowed in PL)  Players under 21 don't have to be registered, so in theory as well as filing those 3 spaces with "senior" players, we can also include Gabriel Slonina, Lewis Hall, Andrey Santos, Cesare Casadei and Harvey Vale

Other squad additions from within our own ranks include Ian Maatsen, Carney Chukwuemeka and - dare I say it - Romelu Lukaku

Thanks Bob.

Looking at this in one view shows just how much work we have ahead of us (IMO)

As a collective position, defence is the only area of the pitch that you could look at and not think it needs serious work.  (I’d arguably include GK here as it’s only one decent signing and I sit firmly in the Kepa isn’t good enough camp) 

Assuming we even sign Caicedo, midfield is incredibly threadbare of quality after him and Enzo.   We’re talking about Gallagher in a holding DM / 6 position or a load of kids who have never played for us? 

It’s the same problem in AM too…. Sterling is proven to a degree, albeit off the back of an underwhelming season and the other three are unknown quantities at his level.  I think Nkunku could turn out to be a shrewd signing but not sure id hang my hat on any of them next season.

And the forwards is the most depressing of the lot.  Broja (off the back of a 9 month layoff) has only ever scored like 5 goals in the PL and probably needs a loan.  Jackson is young and untried having only ever scored 9 goals in  the French league.  Contrast that to the like of Spurs (Son, Kane, Richarlison, Maddison etc) or Liverpool (Salah, Nunez, Jota, Diaz, Gakpo) or Man City (Haaland, Mahrez, Foden, Alverez, Grealish, Silva)  ours is genuinely terrifying.

I can only hope that we are focusing on outgoings and then going big on a small number of top quality incomings - I’m talking  Osimhen, Toney, Kane, level forwards and then midfield / attackers like Valverde.  

😫

• Like 2

I am livid that Mason and the club couldn’t sort things out but without knowing what really went on it’s difficult to have an informed opinion.

Such a transfer would have been unthinkable a year or two ago.  Mason has been at the club since he was 6 (?) and was going to be Chelsea’s next homegrown superstar and possible captain.  

Something has gone terribly wrong but it is what it is.  I guess if Poch had really wanted him he would stayed.

Of course I don’t wish him any ill but I really hope the grass isn’t greener at OT.

I feel very let down 🙁

• Sad 2

A naive question to those who understand these things. We’ve got this Mount deal done before 30 June presumably for FFP. Same with Havertz, Kovacic, Mendy, Koulibaly etc. That’s quite a pot of money. Does this mean that money is solely to cover the signings of Enzo, Mudryk, Fofana, Nkunku? Or is it money we can carry over into the rest of the window for buying Caicedo and others we’re planning to bring in such as another AM and centre forward? 

2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Doesn't seem there was anything in @martin1905's contact's story.

Martin's ITK in the mud 😉

2 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Moving to United is a strange move for Mount. If we can get Maddison and Caiceido in for the fees received for Mason and Kai then we would arguably be in better shape in terms of players fitting formations. I know some aren't keen in Maddison but his numbers speak for themselves, and would probably accept some rotation. I know we have Nkunku but a PL experienced option available at a reasonable price would be great too.

Was about to point out the obvious but then others did. 

49 minutes ago, JaneB said:

I know the boys on here mean "Old Geezer" but as an ageing 90s hip hop fan, my mind always goes to "Original Gangster". 

• Like 1