Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

36 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Everyone has their reasons for preferences on this, mostly emotional rather than logical. For me, City are pretty remote. I don't know or spend any time with City fans, let alone arsehole City fans. I'm not the most online of people, but they seem pretty avoidable on the internet. And I expect them to win. They should be winning with their resources. It feels just like the order of things, at this moment at least.

I live in London, and grew up in Hackney/Islington. I was 15 in 2000, so that gives you a sense that my formative years were when we couldn't buy a win against Arsenal, they were in their pomp, and I was surrounded by mouthy gooners. I've mellowed as I've got older, but as much as I still can, I despise them. I don't like to see them do well.

It largely won't bother me, mind. If it's not us, it's just someone else I don't want it to be. But I'd definitely not want to help them out. And more than that, I don't want us to be weaker. Again, polarised views on this, but I think a Jorginho sale makes us weaker between now and June.

I was brought up in Camden and so I'm with you. I have too many friends who are Arsenal and they are just insufferable. 

16 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Partey is a beast......

Allegedly.

15 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Enzo deal dragging on, I just wonder at what point Chelsea turn around and say they’ll pay the release fee. It feels like that’s the only way we get him at this stage.

I worry Costa will delay for as long as he can, hoping that even if Chelsea offer the full money up front, they don’t have enough time get it all done.

If we pay the release clause then the total impact on the club is £160m including taxes. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

And in Xhaka he'll have a midfield enforcer who will put you in the stands before you even get near him.

Xhaka and Partey either side of him is pretty much perfect. 

Games where they need an extra man in midfield or games where they need to gain control and can bring him on to help with that. He will be so valuable to them. I haven't been too worried about them winning the league this year, only a matter of time until they have a wobble. Now I think they are certainties.

The only positive to anything about Arsenal is I see them more doing a Leicester, playing well above their level in a poor league season when everyone else is not at Thier best, than a City who have built a long lasting thing. I don't see them as a threat going forward.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Not that Enzo is a like-for-like replacement positionally for Jorginho (he's better box-to-box), but he at least can do (and more) some of what Jorginho has provided in possession. Defensively though he's not nearly as good. if he doesn't end up joining us who is going to play that deepest midfield role between now and seasons end? 

Kante when fit is useless as a holding player because he's an instinctive midfielder that loves to ball chase. Kovacic isn't a holding player either and again does better in a more box-to-box role. Gallagher fits into this sort of bracket also. Loftus-Cheek has zero defensive or tactical awareness. This leaves Zakaria as the sole somewhat capable option, but again he's a ball winner that likes to move around a bit more opposed to just sit. He's also far more rash and technically sloppier, so not the ideal candidate to build from the back or use as an outlet when under pressure. 

We're genuinely going to be worse off in a lot of areas some take for granted.

The idea that Jorginho is even competent as a defensive midfielder is risible. He is notoriously poor in this department.

5 minutes ago, Ham said:

I was brought up in Camden and so I'm with you. I have too many friends who are Arsenal and they are just insufferable. 

Allegedly.

If we pay the release clause then the total impact on the club is £160m including taxes. 

He can go to PSG then and let see how good TB recruitment team is to find an alternative in the summer from somewhere other than Brighton.

Just now, ROTG said:

He can go to PSG then and let see how good TB recruitment team is to find an alternative in the summer from somewhere other than Brighton.

I think if we don't sign him now then he probably has Real or City written all over him to be honest.

We aren't going to pay the release clause IMO, it just isn't worth it. 

1 minute ago, martin1905 said:

Xhaka and Partey either side of him is pretty much perfect. 

Games where they need an extra man in midfield or games where they need to gain control and can bring him on to help with that. He will be so valuable to them. I haven't been too worried about them winning the league this year, only a matter of time until they have a wobble. Now I think they are certainties.

The only positive to anything about Arsenal is I see them more doing a Leicester, playing well above their level in a poor league season when everyone else is not at Thier best, than a City who have built a long lasting thing. I don't see them as a threat going forward.

In place of who? Martinelli, Odegaard,Saka……..just not going to happen.
The Arsenal 5 midfielders have been brilliant all season. They play with pace and intensity from the very first whistle…..pace and intensity is not Jorginho.

It could be a smart signing by Arteta, but it’s got special teams type signing written all over it. He will be mostly on the bench and be used to try and control matches in the final 20-25 mins by keeping the ball.

No way Arteta is ripping up that 5 min midfield/forwards to include Jorginho as a first team player, injuries permitting. 

Just now, CarefreeMuratcan said:

I think it's happening, it will just be a late confirmation. Perhaps even purposefully to make it even more dramatic. 

I'll be honest, my confidence in this deal is dropping. It feels like it should be done by now, if it was going to happen. 

5 minutes ago, RDCW said:

The idea that Jorginho is even competent as a defensive midfielder is risible. He is notoriously poor in this department.

• 88th percentile for tackles
  • 76th percentile for tackles won
  • 92nd percentile for dribblers tackled
  • 88th percentile for contested dribbles
  • 78th percentile for passes blocked
  • 87th percentile for interceptions made

Just because he's more immobile than some and isn't covering every inch of grass doesn't equate to him being bad defensively. He's not perfect, but he's sure as hell competent enough to hold his own when he isn't being left on an island. He'll have the required partners alongside him at Arsenal that'll help cover those weak points, while what he provides in possession and just in terms of his leadership and experience will be quite beneficial. 

• Like 1

To some degree, we are in control with Enzo because he has a buyout clause.  

So perhaps we know we can get the deal done today but are pushing it to the wire to try and call Benfica’s bluff on the payment terms??

Wishful thinking probably..

Just now, Rob B said:

To some degree, we are in control with Enzo because he has a buyout clause.  

So perhaps we know we can get the deal done today but are pushing it to the wire to try and call Benfica’s bluff on the payment terms??

Wishful thinking probably..

That's what I thought, but I think the issue is that we don't want or maybe even can't pay all that up front as a one off.

11 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Just because he's more immobile than some and isn't covering every inch of grass doesn't equate to him being bad defensively. He's not perfect, but he's sure as hell competent enough to hold his own when he isn't being left on an island. He'll have the required partners alongside him at Arsenal that'll help cover those weak points, while what he provides in possession and just in terms of his leadership and experience will be quite beneficial. 

Great post. Jorginho is underrated defensively. I was very surprised when I saw his stats next to Enzo's and saw how favourably Jorginho came out in that regard. 

39 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Lies, damn lies and statistics 😄. I can see how poor a defender he is with my own eyes. 

5 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Seriously? I go to Tesco for half and hour and the Enzo deal goes from it's happening to it's not just like that??

Where is the info on Enzo coming from? Sky seem to think it's still very much happening. The doubts seem to be coming from a single Portuguese outlet unless I am missing something.

21 minutes ago, RDCW said:

Where is the info on Enzo coming from? Sky seem to think it's still very much happening. The doubts seem to be coming from a single Portuguese outlet unless I am missing something.

Yes.  According to Ben Jacobs, Benfica are "deliberately briefing negativity".