Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

8 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

That kind of is a legitimate defence of his ability.

It's not though is it, because you've literally ended your post with this.....

8 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Yes we need to get a better GK at some point, literally everyone agrees, it's just it may not be the time when we have MUCH more pressing issues. 

So you've basically just did exactly what I was highlighting in my post!!   But irrespective, seems like we are agreed, the only difference is you think we should wait,  I think we should act now. 

By the way, I'm not saying we go and spend £70m on a 24 year old goalkeeper.  I'd probably be more inclined to to go after a Ter Stegan or a Neuer or Oblak type in their 30's who can give us some much needed experience and won't cost the world, whilst we assess Slonina's ability or work out who the best long term bet is. 

53 minutes ago, Bison said:

The way Mendy was discarded after a few mistakes is exactly what should have happened to Kepa but he has an unmoveable contract so we're stuck with him.

Mendy had reached a level Kepa has never and will never reach. Mendy is the better keeper but his reputation has taken such a battering the narrative is firmly set. The fact Kepa has outlasted Mendy is maddening but that's what happens when you have rubbish players on wages nobody else would entertain. Even the Saudis wouldn't go near it. 

Funny, I'd say that Kepa narrative is so firmly set that some refuse to see Mendy has been absolute sh*te for about 18 months. 

The way to attack Kepa really isn't to big up Mendy. The bloke had an outstanding 18-24 months, can't knock him for it, but it seems pretty clear that was form rather than class as it were.

I'm in the "Kepa is not as bad as many make out" camp but even so I'd happily replace him, so long as whoever comes in is actually better and we can be confident is going to be for more than a season and a half. I don't think another Mendy-type signing is the best idea. 

26 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Funny, I'd say that Kepa narrative is so firmly set that some refuse to see Mendy has been absolute sh*te for about 18 months. 

The way to attack Kepa really isn't to big up Mendy. The bloke had an outstanding 18-24 months, can't knock him for it, but it seems pretty clear that was form rather than class as it were.

I'm in the "Kepa is not as bad as many make out" camp but even so I'd happily replace him, so long as whoever comes in is actually better and we can be confident is going to be for more than a season and a half. I don't think another Mendy-type signing is the best idea. 

I make you spot on. 

That is a really good point “as long as whoever we sign is actually better” 

I look at Onana and Maignan and I think both are decent keepers made to look better than they are by good and well organized defensive units in front of them. 

Is either one meaningfully better than Kepa? 

Honest question, I genuinely don’t know but I have a nagging feeling they are not a major upgrade. I don’t even think Meslier or Pickford are as good as Kepa so they are nom starters in my opinion. 

But then logically, we must then ask ourselves who is if they aren’t? 

Donnarumma yeah but not gettable. Courtois forget about it.  Kobel? De Gea? Lloris?  Burki? 

Diogo Costa anyone? 

3 minutes ago, Morgs said:

I make you spot on. 

That is a really good point “as long as whoever we sign is actually better” 

I look at Onana and Maignan and I think both are decent keepers made to look better than they are by good and well organized defensive units in front of them. 

Is either one meaningfully better than Kepa? 

Honest question, I genuinely don’t know but I have a nagging feeling they are not a major upgrade. I don’t even think Meslier or Pickford are as good as Kepa so they are nom starters in my opinion. 

But then logically, we must then ask ourselves who is if they aren’t? 

Donnarumma yeah but not gettable. Courtois forget about it.  Kobel? De Gea? Lloris?  Burki? 

Diogo Costa anyone? 

Pretty much agree...as I said elsewhere (and not a lone voice) who realistically is there?

Good breakdown..imho,,, of keepers possibly in the frame and accurate.

Makes you see just how the Courtois affair has affected Chelsea on the long term...was the genuine, qualified replacement for PC and a text book example of how to bring a top talent to the fore.... can't foresee or take into account shi**iness though!

13 minutes ago, chara said:

Pretty much agree...as I said elsewhere (and not a lone voice) who realistically is there?

Good breakdown..imho,,, of keepers possibly in the frame and accurate.

Makes you see just how the Courtois affair has affected Chelsea on the long term...was the genuine, qualified replacement for PC and a text book example of how to bring a top talent to the fore.... can't foresee or take into account shi**iness though!

Yep. Despite everything he’s a bloody good goalkeeper. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

It's not though is it, because you've literally ended your post with this.....

So you've basically just did exactly what I was highlighting in my post!!   But irrespective, seems like we are agreed, the only difference is you think we should wait,  I think we should act now. 

By the way, I'm not saying we go and spend £70m on a 24 year old goalkeeper.  I'd probably be more inclined to to go after a Ter Stegan or a Neuer or Oblak type in their 30's who can give us some much needed experience and won't cost the world, whilst we assess Slonina's ability or work out who the best long term bet is. 

Keylor Navas anyone?

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Mendy was really quite good at one point , miles better than Kepa who had some crisis of confidence situation going on .

Then Mendy was voted best keeper at the ACN and demanded a new deal at the same time as his form went downhill faster than Franz Klammer , Kepa then pulled himself together and improved steadily whilst Mendy , well goodness knows what Mendy did because it was genuinely horrific.

In conclusion , and I think most people seem to think the same way , not that its a barometer of correctness , is that Kepa is the better of the two even though he's not top tier for a keeper and is an adequate stop gap until we can nurture Slonina into becoming the keeper he promises to be , but what do I know , I thought Marcin Bulka was good . 

But the demise is based on 10 games this season? If he was on a shitty (relatively speaking) contract and wanted a new one only to be told by the club that ain’t happening I wonder what he’d feel about that? Come to think about it, not very unlike the Mount situation. Is it just a coincidence that two top performers performances dive after they feel they are not getting the appreciation they deserve by the club? How will Mendy on £40k/week feel that a far inferior keeper like Kepa is taking home £150k/week while being his understudy? They are humans, not machines. If you don’t feel valued by your employer you won’t perform. Simple as that. 

2 hours ago, Bison said:

The way Mendy was discarded after a few mistakes is exactly what should have happened to Kepa but he has an unmoveable contract so we're stuck with him.

Mendy had reached a level Kepa has never and will never reach. Mendy is the better keeper but his reputation has taken such a battering the narrative is firmly set. The fact Kepa has outlasted Mendy is maddening but that's what happens when you have rubbish players on wages nobody else would entertain. Even the Saudis wouldn't go near it. 

Exactly. Not even the Saudis are interested. That tells you some story doesn’t it? 

2 hours ago, Rob B said:

The two 'arguments' I see all the time from people defending Kepa are as follows:

1. Goalkeeper isn't a priority right now, we need a striker and a DM
  2. He's not world class but good enough to tide us over for next season

And every time I read them I think that neither of them are legitimate defences of his ability.  Kepa does not pass the eye test, and  everything that Morgs and Sleeping Dave have said is bang on the money. 

Just because we need to sign a striker and a DM, doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking to upgrade our goalkeeper.  We don't bat an eyelid spending £68m on a project winger (Mudryk) or £63m on a backup left back, why should we compromise on the goalie??

I don't think Kepa is horrendous, in fact, there were games last season he played well, but there is definitely much better out there and I thought we were looking to compete?   A tall, imposing goalie that helps the defence by aggressively coming out to claim set pieces, that can stop long range strikes will be worth it's weight in gold.  

Exactly, we spend so much money on players who are likely to never play for us in a serious role but refuse to go out and get a proper keeper? As soon as we did get a half decent one we won the CL. Having a top keeper is not only nice to have, it’s absolutely need to have in order to challenge properly. 

Spending big on Kepa has crippled us for five seasons. So much that we only went and bought a cheap alternative from France as competition. This really scares me with out new strategy where all transfers are on long term deals - what happens if they aren’t as good as we thought? A real prospect for Fofana and Mudryk for example. 

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Is he? Seems odd he would end up in SA with the other cast offs and has-beens.

If KK's wages weren't an issue, than nor would Kepa's

I don’t think the Saudis have an issue with Kepas salary… Think it has something to do with his quality… 

7 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Nicolas Jackson signs! Welcome! Let’s hope he can beat it🎶🤣

I don't know if I'm being unnecessarily curmudgeonly but the photos posing in the crappy old shirt with that awful big 3 on front are really annoying me. 

It's so cheap. 

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I don't know if I'm being unnecessarily curmudgeonly but the photos posing in the crappy old shirt with that awful big 3 on front are really annoying me. 

It's so cheap. 

We're all a bit Grumpy Old Men from time to time. Fully understandable 🙂

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

It's so cheap. 

You'll be pleased to hear that the 3 contact ends at midnight. 

Good riddance to the worst partner since Eva Braun's other half. 

• Haha 3

Charlie Webster loan to Heerenveen confirmed (must assume a contract extension has also been signed at some point).  One of our best  academy products, this loan should hopefully put him on the path to a first team squad place in 2024/25

Atletico Madrid have made a last minute attempt to sign Azpilicuetta, who looked Inter bound. Personal terms agreed with Inter last week and just waiting for CFC too release him on a free. Now that AM are in the mix, I expect his family may push him to a return to his native country.