Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

2 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

I don't care if they come from Cobham or any far fetched part of the world you want to name, they are all the same now and if they don't want to be here then we need to get as much money out of them as possible and bring in players that DO want to play for the club.

I agree completely on this sentiment. The worry for me is about the why players don't want to be here. Sometimes it's going to be money, personal or family things, just preferring to live or work somewhere else etc. At a certain point, though, you have to wonder about what might be happening at the place they want to leave.

I think what you say is true but with the caveat that we need this club to be as an attractive a prospect as possible, to make it somewhere players want to be.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

It's a worry. 

I didn’t tbh. And if he’s got an attitude then he can go. I don’t care how good he is or thinks he is. However I don’t blame him for wanting to speak to Poch before committing. I’m a lot more confident Colwill will stay under Poch than under the supermarket security guard we had as a manager last season.

3 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

I didn’t tbh. And if he’s got an attitude then he can go. I don’t care how good he is or thinks he is. However I don’t blame him for wanting to speak to Poch before committing. I’m a lot more confident Colwill will stay under Poch than under the supermarket security guard we had as a manager last season.

When I see one of our own wanting to leave, or maybe wanting to leave, it makes me think back to what one of the agents of one of our players said about how bad things are behind the scenes at the club and that the problems will take a long time to fix. With Colwill appearing to be unhappy,  it makes me believe what the agent said wasn't just paper gossip.

7 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

When I see one of our own wanting to leave, or maybe wanting to leave, it makes me think back to what one of the agents of one of our players said about how bad things are behind the scenes at the club and that the problems will take a long time to fix. With Colwill appearing to be unhappy,  it makes me believe what the agent said wasn't just paper gossip.

Agent talk. I’d take it with a pinch of salt. All they care about is money. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Aren't about 50% of your posts complaining about us selling academy products and playing expensive foreign players in roles they could have had? 

I'm more bothered by what I think Colwill moving on would represent in a bigger picture sense. It's one thing when academy products leave because they want first team football and another when they specifically want that elsewhere, where a clear offer of it isn't the best offer open to them. It's not a trend I'd like to see started.

Tomori was 4th, maybe even 5th, choice by the time he left, having been given a real chance. Literally nothing he has done since suggests we made the wrong move. I've slept like a baby on it, quite right.

Cute. Really. 

I do agree with the sentiment of your post, quite obviously, but am surprised you have finally seen the light considering that Colwill wouldn’t be much more than 4th or 5th choice CB here next season. Much like Tomori when he left 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 minute ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Cute. Really. 

I do agree with the sentiment of your post, quite obviously, but am surprised you have finally seen the light considering that Colwill wouldn’t be much more than 4th or 5th choice CB here next season. Much like Tomori when he left 🤷🏻‍♂️

Disagree.  Looks like he could very easily be first choice LCB ahead of Badiashile.  

He's as solid as him defensively but he's also a very good counter attacking asset with his long passing.  

Don’t see what the fuss is about. It was none of Madueke’s business to be talking about Colwill’s contract situation after an England youth international game. If anything, Colwill looked embarrassed. It’s between Colwill and the club to sort out his future. The club seem to want to tie him to a long term contract and he wants a path to the first team. There’s a deal to be done unless Colwill sees his future elsewhere in which case he’ll be sold. As I understand it, he’s got two years left on his contract with the possibility of a one year extension, so it’s not like the Mount situation. FWIW I reckon he’ll get plenty of game time next season to prove himself. He now has to live up to the hype. 

Edited by Original 21
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Aren't about 50% of your posts complaining about us selling academy products and playing expensive foreign players in roles they could have had? 

Saved me a reply. 

I've not seen much of Colwill, but the word from those within the game seem to suggest his ceiling is far higher than Tomori 

It's bizarre how some were horrified that we might have accepted a 50m from Bayern for CHO when he hadnt't actually played a senior game for anyone, and now happily waving goodbye to a real prospect. 

I don't get it to be honest.

Edit - and I don't really get the over reaction to the post game comments. He clearly wants to sit down with Poch before committing either way, which seems completely reasonable. 

Edited by paulw66
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Cute. Really. 

Not sure that is true. 
Of all the remaining CB and Backs from last season only one played more than 20’pl game. The back line might be talented but it seems to be injury prone. One can only hope that was down to the nobody coaching team last season. 

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I've not seen much of Colwill, but the word from those within the game seem to suggest his ceiling is far higher than Tomori 

I

I remember lots of fans thinking Tomori had a very high ceiling after he broke onto the first team. I thought he was the best prospect to come thru our ranks since JT. He was playing faultlessly until that one bad pass near the end of a CL game in France. For some reason he was never the same player after that mistake???

Edited by boratsbrother

53 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Edit - and I don't really get the over reaction to the post game comments. He clearly wants to sit down with Poch before committing either way, which seems completely reasonable. 

In fairness it was really only me and I'm really only coming from the place where, do we really need more drama after the season from hell where we had an entire squad of rotten apples that we are still in the process of removing. 

My opinion is that what we need now is players looking to do their absolute best for Chelsea not batting their eyelashes at all comers looking for a better opportunity. 

2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I agree completely on this sentiment. The worry for me is about the why players don't want to be here. Sometimes it's going to be money, personal or family things, just preferring to live or work somewhere else etc. At a certain point, though, you have to wonder about what might be happening at the place they want to leave.

I think what you say is true but with the caveat that we need this club to be as an attractive a prospect as possible, to make it somewhere players want to be.

Coming from Southern Europe living for 8+ years in North Europe (Netherlands) i can completely understand why many players prefer Spain over England when choosing a club to play. Man the weather is such a downer in this parts sometimes, ok not this days ofc 😂

5 minutes ago, phicho said:

Coming from Southern Europe living for 8+ years in North Europe (Netherlands) i can completely understand why many players prefer Spain over England when choosing a club to play. Man the weather is such a downer in this parts sometimes, ok not this days ofc 😂

I don't think anyone will argue with you here about the main benefits of Spain over England.  

In truth though, there are only two clubs in southern Europe that players dream of playing for. 

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Significant increase in the number of rumours recently that Spurs are interested in Cucurella as a replacement for Perisic

Not surprised really. He looks pretty surplus to requirements. Given Chilwell’s poor injury record I assume that’d mean the Board see Maatsen as a decent back up. Can’t say I know much about the kid. Is he a better defender than Cucurella who seemed all over the place last season? Then again, not many came out of last season with much credit. 

10 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Not surprised really. He looks pretty surplus to requirements. Given Chilwell’s poor injury record I assume that’d mean the Board see Maatsen as a decent back up. Can’t say I know much about the kid. Is he a better defender than Cucurella who seemed all over the place last season? Then again, not many came out of last season with much credit. 

Cucurella was £60m and he couldn’t even get the basics right imo. I can’t believe we gave Brighton so much money in return for so little. If we get Caicedo he’d better be brilliant! 🤣

7 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I can't shake a really horrible feeling that Colwill will go this summer, actively dreading it far more than the likes of Mount and Havertz leaving. 

Same. 

Although I did see two separate references  on Twitter earlier that Levi has 2+1 years left on his deal, with the third year activated based on minutes played, which gave me a little bit more comfort.

In response to other posts on the subject, and particularly given BB’s injury, I actually think he starts the season for us as first choice LCB next to Fofana. 

10 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Anyone else notice how uninterested and non committal Levi Colwill was when Noni Mudueke was telling us "don't worry I'm bringing him back"? 

Not the kind of attitude we should be accepting of if you ask me, I'd rather Badiashile gets the place than someone who doesn't appear to want to be here. 

I'd be looking to get rid. 

I get a rather nonchalant/arrogant vibe from Colwill, kinda like he thinks he may be better than what he actually is. Sure, he's a incredibly talented player, and I'd certainly prefer him to wanting to forge a career here, but for a player that's got like 17 top flight appearances to his name he's not a Nesta, Terry, Rio or even a Gallas. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Cucurella was £60m and he couldn’t even get the basics right imo. I can’t believe we gave Brighton so much money in return for so little. If we get Caicedo he’d better be brilliant! 🤣

How many did get the basics right last season to be fair?

I don't quite get the whipping of Cucurella personally. Was he great last season? Not at all. But he has demonstrated he can be a good player in the league, including two dominating performances against us. Not only was he part of a struggling side last season on the pitch but he also had his share of off field obstacles to navigate around on top. 

His fee also requires some context. Brighton slapped a £50m asking price on him initially, we paid a little extra in exchange for having Colwill's subsequent move in the opposite direction being a dry loan rather than a permanent move. I'd take that trade off personally. 

With Chilwell having his injury problems, Maatsen being untested at this level still, Hall still raw and not even a fullback anyway, having a more established alternative in Cucurella isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'd be giving him a second season in a more organised side and with better coaching, if he struggles again then move him on. Selling after one season however seems a bit premature for my liking.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, xceleryx said:

How many did get the basics right last season to be fair?

I don't quite get the whipping of Cucurella personally. Was he great last season? Not at all. But he has demonstrated he can be a good player in the league, including two dominating performances against us. Not only was he part of a struggling side last season on the pitch but he also had his share of off field obstacles to navigate around on top. 

His fee also requires some context. Brighton slapped a £50m asking price on him initially, we paid a little extra in exchange for having Colwill's subsequent move in the opposite direction being a dry loan rather than a permanent move. I'd take that trade off personally. 

With Chilwell having his injury problems, Maatsen being untested at this level still, Hall still raw and not even a fullback anyway, having a more established alternative in Cucurella isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'd be giving him a second season in a more organised side and with better coaching, if he struggles again then move him on. Selling after one season however seems a bit premature for my liking.

If he turns out to be worth even half of the fee, I’ll be delighted but it’ll be the biggest turnaround since Sir Roman transformed Chelsea from also rans to European Cup winners. 

I haven't seen anyone else pick up on this point, but my own view on Cucu's main problem last season was that he seemed very hyperactive. Ball watching and rushing at it , not thinking of his position on  the pitch which made him look like he was all over the place. Added to his defensive shortcomings, he brought next to nothing in attack.

I'd  take an offer of around 50%  of our money back on him, because though he might improve this season, I can't see him becoming the level of player that we need.

4 hours ago, xceleryx said:

I don't quite get the whipping of Cucurella personally.

So it’s ok to whip academy players and snr pros who have left or leaving the club. However any criticism one of the worst buys in the clubs history is a no no 

Bit of the pot calling the kettle black?

11 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

I haven't seen anyone else pick up on this point, but my own view on Cucu's main problem last season was that he seemed very hyperactive. Ball watching and rushing at it , not thinking of his position on  the pitch which made him look like he was all over the place. Added to his defensive shortcomings, he brought next to nothing in attack.

Yep my views exactly.He doesn't seem to have any discipline in his own head.

I've seen him run all over pitch with no composure - a flailing  barnet brings attention to his shortcomings.