Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

14 hours ago, Ham said:

Disagree.  Looks like he could very easily be first choice LCB ahead of Badiashile.  

He's as solid as him defensively but he's also a very good counter attacking asset with his long passing.  

How do you reach that conclusion? Not saying you are wrong, just asking since he has just played the equivalent of 13,5 PL games. 

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

I haven't seen anyone else pick up on this point, but my own view on Cucu's main problem last season was that he seemed very hyperactive. Ball watching and rushing at it , not thinking of his position on  the pitch which made him look like he was all over the place. Added to his defensive shortcomings, he brought next to nothing in attack.

I'd  take an offer of around 50%  of our money back on him, because though he might improve this season, I can't see him becoming the level of player that we need.

I was touching on this last season, he has no discipline and almost zero footballing intelligence, well at least that was definitely the case last season. His decision making was shocking.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I agree completely on this sentiment. The worry for me is about the why players don't want to be here. Sometimes it's going to be money, personal or family things, just preferring to live or work somewhere else etc. At a certain point, though, you have to wonder about what might be happening at the place they want to leave.

I think what you say is true but with the caveat that we need this club to be as an attractive a prospect as possible, to make it somewhere players want to be.

I think it is a lack of characters in the team and a leader.

A happy dressing room will bring team spirit and a desire to win games for each other.

A good manager will bring all those things together.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

How do you reach that conclusion? Not saying you are wrong, just asking since he has just played the equivalent of 13,5 PL games. 

Not only his performances for Brighton but all of his performances for the England U21s.  His quality shines through. 

5 minutes ago, Ham said:

Not only his performances for Brighton but all of his performances for the England U21s.  His quality shines through. 

Hope you are right. I have not seen him play at all. But I’m cautious considering he has 2400 Championship minutes and 1200 PL minutes to his name. That is not an awful lot for a 20 year old CB… A position that requires experience nonetheless for a player to truly shine. 

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

So it’s ok to whip academy players and snr pros who have left or leaving the club. However any criticism one of the worst buys in the clubs history is a no no 

Bit of the pot calling the kettle black?

Context plays a massive part.

Cucurella joined with the club going through serious change, hardly the most settling of environments in general. Then spent a large portion of the early season dealing with a fairly serious illness, which was then followed up later by having his house robbed. 

But of course, he's a former Brighton player and we know how you feel about anything attached to them. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I was touching on this last season, he has no discipline and almost zero footballing intelligence, well at least that was definitely the case last season. His decision making was shocking.

I think your comments are fair enough. I do also think there was quite a bit going on behind the scenes, which we know about to some degree, but I think they must have had some impact on him.

I also think we asked quite a lot of him at times. Certainly when playing in that back three role. I know we had some experience there for Brighton, but Brighton were/are a very well organised and structured team. Clearly, we were trying to replicate that to some extent by signing up Potter. Yet, we never looked remotely well structured and organised, and in most cases in a back three, Cucurella look all over the shop. His confidence must have been hit, he started looking like a player who was trying to avoid mistakes with the ball, but also trying to hard and becoming a bit of a headless chicken without the ball. However, he did also have some decent games throughout the season.

I think we need to keep him and give him a second season to bed in and develop here . I think we all crave a season where the club is more settled and more consistent, rather than the ramshackle of a mess it was on and off the pitch throughout most of last season. I am expecting him to improve for this season and become a very useful squad member.

So this week we can expect:

- Pulisic to Milan to complete

- DDF loan to Union Berlin

- Progress on Lukaku?

That leaves TBC:

- Ziyech and CHO as probably the last two of the major outgoings, and decisions to be made on Casadei and Santos.

Linked with a 20 year old Marseille striker too. 

1 hour ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

I would tend to agree with you Kev but £60m….it’s like £58m for Pulisic. Crazy.

Pulisic looks like a steal at £58m compared to £60m for Cucurella. At least Pulisic has had his moments here, Cucurella was really, really, really poor from day 1 and it never changed. His best performance for us was probably a 6/10 (at a stretch). 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Pulisic looks like a steal at £58m compared to £60m for Cucurella. At least Pulisic has had his moments here, Cucurella was really, really, really poor from day 1 and it never changed. His best performance for us was probably a 6/10 (at a stretch). 

Fair enough my slumbering friend. 🙌🏻💯

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Anyone else notice how uninterested and non committal Levi Colwill was when Noni Mudueke was telling us "don't worry I'm bringing him back"? 

Not the kind of attitude we should be accepting of if you ask me, I'd rather Badiashile gets the place than someone who doesn't appear to want to be here. 

I'd be looking to get rid. 

I can't quite understand why Colwill seems to have developed such an apparent distrust of the club. He was sent out on a successful loan and now he's back. What's the problem Levi? I too feel that he may well end up leaving. Maybe its just a matter of him being one of those that prefers to be a big fish in a small pond?

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

So this week we can expect: hope:

- Pulisic to Milan to complete

- DDF loan to Union Berlin

- Progress on Lukaku?

That leaves TBC:

- Ziyech and CHO as probably the last two of the major outgoings, and decisions to be made on Casadei and Santos.

Linked with a 20 year old Marseille striker too. 

I'd like to see Aubameyang  offed too.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Context plays a massive part.

Cucurella joined with the club going through serious change, hardly the most settling of environments in general. Then spent a large portion of the early season dealing with a fairly serious illness, which was then followed up later by having his house robbed. 

But of course, he's a former Brighton player and we know how you feel about anything attached to them. 

So your defence of him is the above? 

Sterling got robbed last season and has played most of his career with verbal and media racial abuse, Although his form was below his expected levels it didn't fall off a cliff and he only cost £45m

At the end of the day he is not a very good player and certainly not the future if the club want to get anywhere in the league or Europe.

As for the Brighton, i doubt they will even be in the PL within five seasons so good luck to them making hay while the sunshines and hoodwinking a club like Chelsea. 

1 hour ago, blueboy1905 said:

So the new kit launch has a 90's vibe about it with Di Matteo and Wise featuring. At the current speed of new incoming first team players being signed i reckon they might have to dust off their boots and be available come the 13th August !!!

Oh for a peak Wisey….