Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

7 hours ago, Holymoly said:

I can't quite understand why Colwill seems to have developed such an apparent distrust of the club. He was sent out on a successful loan and now he's back. What's the problem Levi? I too feel that he may well end up leaving. Maybe its just a matter of him being one of those that prefers to be a big fish in a small pond?

If reports are to be believed some of this might explain the distrust.....

• Tuchel was prepared to sell him as a make-weight in the Cucurella deal, which only got pulled at the last minute and we paid extra for it to be just a loan.  
  • He might have also been part of the group that flew out to the US, only to fly back a few days later because we had too many players (I can't remember tbh) 
  • Add to that, we have bought Fofana, Koulibaly and Badiashille in the last 12 months
  • He is good friends with Musiala and Gilmour, and has been apparently told by Southgate that he's in his Euro 24 senior squad plans but he needs to be playing regularly

I'm not necessarily Team Colwill and I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle, but it's easy to see why he wants some comfort / assurances.  

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Rob B said:

• Tuchel was prepared to sell him as a make-weight in the Cucurella deal, which only got pulled at the last minute and we paid extra for it to be just a loan.  
  • He might have also been part of the group that flew out to the US, only to fly back a few days later because we had too many players (I can't remember tbh) 
  • Add to that, we have bought Fofana, Koulibaly and Badiashille in the last 12 months
  • He is good friends with Musiala and Gilmour, and has been apparently told by Southgate that he's in his Euro 24 senior squad plans but he needs to be playing regularly

I'm not necessarily Team Colwill and I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle, but it's easy to see why he wants some comfort / assurances.  

I'm not anti him having some reassurance regarding his role in the side, however with two years and a further option on his contract he really hasn't got much of a say in what happens now and there was no need to act so sheepishly when Noni was reassuring everyone he's coming back. Maybe it's me being curmudgeonly but it peed me right off!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'm not anti him having some reassurance regarding his role in the side, however with two years and a further option on his contract he really hasn't got much of a say in what happens now and there was no need to act so sheepishly when Noni was reassuring everyone he's coming back. Maybe it's me being curmudgeonly but it peed me right off!

No listen I totally get it.

He also tweeted that picture with Billy Gilmour after a big defeat last season - can’t remember if it was Madrid or maybe Man United but it was a bit tone-deaf, and annoyed quite a few fans at the time. 

I’m sure Ash has been singing our praises whilst away with England, and Poch will convince him he has a big future here. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, ROTG said:

So your defence of him is the above? 

Sterling got robbed last season and has played most of his career with verbal and media racial abuse, Although his form was below his expected levels it didn't fall off a cliff and he only cost £45m

At the end of the day he is not a very good player and certainly not the future if the club want to get anywhere in the league or Europe.

As for the Brighton, i doubt they will even be in the PL within five seasons so good luck to them making hay while the sunshines and hoodwinking a club like Chelsea. 

Part of it, there's other factors from a sporting side of things that certainly had an influence on not only Cucurella's performances, but that of various others also. 

Sterling was often lamented by people for his performances, quite the revisionist statement for you to make. It's also not really a linear situation either given individuals handle such incidents differently from each other.

To also claim Sterling "only cost £45m" as if that's some sort of advantage, his wages get brought up all the time and are half of what Cucurella earns. How about acknowledging that Cucurella's original asking price was £50m, with us opting to pay the £10m extra to preserve our ownership of Colwill? Given how he went last season at Brighton that additional £10m investment was arguably money well spent. 

At the end of the day we don't really quite know how good Cucurella's median level is. He had a brilliant season at Brighton in an organised side, including stellar performances against us and enough to even draw Man City's interest, while a poor debut one here in a team encompassed by chaos. There's a capable player there, whether he can return to the level and demonstrate it here remains to be seen. A second season, under a proper manager, should answer those questions, 

• Like 1

On 08/07/2023 at 08:52, boratsbrother said:

Players with that much natural ability who can't finish must have a problem between the ears and its possibly just down to a simple lack of composure? 

At least he shows "natural ability".He is better than Oscar,and he is better than the brain dead Havertz.

I think he would do well in a balanced well coached team.

I like him.Depending on the fee I would try to hold on to him.

• Agree 1

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12285073/Chelsea-contact-Juventus-ask-Dusan-Vlahovic-Blues-draw-forwards-shortlist-Pochettino.html

If the rumour is true of Lukaku plus £21m for Vlahovic, make it happen TBSD, even if it means paying him £250 per week which is still considerably less than Lukaku

No brainer IMO

Also TBSD get to tell Lukaku, "pack your bags son we done The Italian Job on you"

Edited by ROTG

12 hours ago, Rob B said:

I can see why he might have an issue with the chaos surrounding the takeover but we've now got a proper manager that has the ability to maximise his potential. I am also continually mystified by players that cite the importance of playing for the national side having myself become disillusioned with international football many years ago. Who would prioritise playing for the Spurs of national teams over their club who will be consistently vying for, and hopefully winning, trophies? If I was a footballer looking back on my career would I attach more importance to a dusty pile of international caps over a cabinet full of club medals? Get a grip Levi, knuckle down and help make Chelsea great again.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, xceleryx said:

At the end of the day we don't really quite know how good Cucurella's median level is. He had a brilliant season at Brighton in an organised side, including stellar performances against us and enough to even draw Man City's interest, while a poor debut one here in a team encompassed by chaos. There's a capable player there, whether he can return to the level and demonstrate it here remains to be seen. A second season, under a proper manager, should answer those questions, 

I think he has already show his level, not forgetting he looked good in a team which finished 9th and average is a team that finished 12th, that sums up his level.

Man City sniffed and walked away, you could also argue Man City sniffed Cucurella because Chelsea were sniffing Ake.

Crucurella was a poor piece of business, form whichever way you look at it.

6 minutes ago, ROTG said:

I think he has already show his level, not forgetting he looked good in a team which finished 9th and average is a team that finished 12th, that sums up his level.

Man City sniffed and walked away, you could also argue Man City sniffed Cucurella because Chelsea were sniffing Ake.

Crucurella was a poor piece of business, form whichever way you look at it.

💯🫶🏻

1 hour ago, Holymoly said:

I am also continually mystified by players that cite the importance of playing for the national side having myself become disillusioned with international football many years ago.

The SAF era of managers who instilled club before country mentality in their players, seems to have diminished over the past few years with the new kids and coaches on the block

Edited by ROTG
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Curious with this one. Looked very raw, but clearly there is some ability there. And CL exposure too.

Not really, he is a £10m player and more than likely the clubs next Batshuayi

That said is there now a ruling on how many players a club can loan?

8 hours ago, xceleryx said:

How about acknowledging that Cucurella's original asking price was £50m, with us opting to pay the £10m extra to preserve our ownership of Colwill? Given how he went last season at Brighton that additional £10m investment was arguably money well spent. 

We are now paying other clubs for the right to own a player we already own? 🤔 If true, it must have been the worst “investment” we’ve ever made. 

Who said Todd & Co we’re all about the business? 

10 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I think most of us could have predicted this might happen. Let's see...

Best for the club to do The Italian Job on Lukaku and send him to Turin with Vlahovic coming in the opposite direction. 

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Not really, he is a £10m player and more than likely the clubs next Batshuayi

That said is there now a ruling on how many players a club can loan?

Gone early again I see. He clearly not ready to be part of our squad right now, but maybe it would be wise to give a young kid some time and lets see how he develops.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Up there with Arrizabalaga competing for the “worst piece of business we’ve ever made” award. Mudryk may be in contention but time will tell

Surely the bold bit is the key here. More than enough rubbish going on with the club last season. Too early for any judgements on a number of our players right now.